Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Obergurgle

Poster: A snowHead
Hi
Could anyone tell me it Obergurgle would be suitable for a timid skier who is only happy on greens and easy blues please.
Thank you advise appreciated.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes in my experience - lovely snowsure blue/green (green not used in Austrian piste grading) at village level down past the Nederhuttte (so regular rewards available!) and slightly harder blues up the mountain - its not really got a fun network of greens/blues (like Montgenvre, Corvara or Courcheval) for the slightly more adventurous. A good choice IMV (esp if you get a hotel with a good pool?)
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes, as much as anywhere is. Last time we went we went with friends who'd hardly skied before and they were fine. From memory, I think Hochgurgl (reached by a gondola across the valley, and part of the same resort) is even easier.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes even my 5 year old can ski most of the blues in both Obergurgl and Hochgurgle. Run down to Obefgurgl can get a bit busy but only in high season. Good ski school too.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Always funny....Anglo-Saxons colonizing a foreign language...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yes, my son and I learned to ski there and I am a nervous skier!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Langerzug, apologies!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Langerzug wrote:
Always funny....Anglo-Saxons colonizing a foreign language...

I think Anglo-Saxons colonise... Very Happy

Enjoying the variety of resort spellings though!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We were colonised by the Saxons first so just getting our own back...many words in English from Saxons.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ubergargle (to give it its correct name) is only really suitable for timid skiers happy on blues
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There are a couple of reds.. The run from the top of ochgurgke to the bottom is fun...its Not a big place but its ok, plus you get a day pass for solden thrown in... Thats a good Day out with a few blacks.. Short bus ride.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
There are a couple of reds.. The run from the top of ochgurgke to the bottom is fun...its Not a big place but its ok, plus you get a day pass for solden thrown in... Thats a good Day out with a few blacks.. Short bus ride.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thank you all for the information - just one other question does anyone know if the piste down to the hochgurgle cross mountain lift is easy for a beginner as it would be nice to get across to that side.
Thank you again
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I would say no it is a definite red and caused us some pain though the steepest bit is not that long - it is a bit of a weakness in the system for timid skiers that want to travel imv
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks that's a shame I guess if we go we could take a bus to hochgurgle and ski back via this lift ?
ski holidays
It's Hokgurgle.
Please!
latest report
It is very kind of you to help with my spelling and whilst it is appreciated could I ask if you have any helpful information regarding my enquiry, which is my reason for being on this forum.
Thank you
ski holidays
Yes bus there and lift back is ok imv - bit of a fat but worth it esp the view from the cafe at the top. You can also check out the offending red run/ link from below on the way back for later in the week!
snow report
@johnbushrod, I asked the very same question about two years ago in advance of my first visit to Obergurgl. Its not a steep red, more on the blue side than the black and is usually well pisted. So, unless you're going in a busy week it should be in good nick all day. If you or someone is more experienced then lead and take the obviously less steep line which from memory goes pretty much down the middle at first but then meanders left and right. IIRC If you stay on the left of the piste as you approach the cross lift to Hochgurgl it is less steep but you'll need to cut across in plenty time as the lift is on the right as you are heading down to it and folks tend to aim straight for it which would then strand the nervous or inexperienced on a steepish bit

I would advise your timid skier to avoid it on a snowy day as it is exposed and visibility can be poor which would make it challenging. You can take the ski bus from Obergurgl down to the Hochgurgl valley station as an alternative and upload into Hochgurgl from there.
snow report
Thanks everyone
ski holidays
@Langerzug, i think you find its hochgurgl .. ☺️☺️ thats what it says on all my piste maps, ive driven over the hochen pass in summer which is spectacular..
snow conditions
In my view it is quite an easy piste down to the cross mountain gondola, and if you keep right it is probably easiest as you ski straight to the gondola that way. The red only becomes a genuine red after the gondola. Loads of easy and lovely pistes over in Hochgurgl (piste 32 is a favourite). The long red down to the valley floor in Hochgurgl is lovely too. Ideal progression from blues.
ski holidays
The piste there is wide and smooth, if you can side slip then it should be quite simple. Worth the effort in my view.
snow report
Well we have just decided to change our low lying plans for New Year and head to the higher slopes of Hochgurgl/obergurgl.

I would regard myself as one of those timid skiers who like my easy blues. Hopefully won't be disappointed.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy