Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Oakley Prizm Rose vs Prizm Hi-Pink

Poster: A snowHead
Oakley have quietly sneaked another Prizm lens into their selection this year - Prizm Hi-Pink. It has an Iridium Coating and covers the same conditions as the Rose, but actually lets in more light, with a VLT of around 25% (The Prizm Rose has a VLT of around 20).

So my question is....has anybody seen it or tried it on? Will it be even more versatile than the Rose? If anyone has any opinions or feedback on performance (unlikely at this stage), I'd like to hear your thoughts.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Old Fartbag, First I'd heard of it, and I have many things with Oakley written on them. Looks like it might be a bit closer to the Hi-Yellow.

Seems to be a strange move, as one of the selling points behind Prizm goggles is that they cover a wide range of conditions.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
PowderAdict wrote:
@Old Fartbag, First I'd heard of it, and I have many things with Oakley written on them. Looks like it might be a bit closer to the Hi-Yellow.

Seems to be a strange move, as one of the selling points behind Prizm goggles is that they cover a wide range of conditions.

I suppose it appeals to those that want a low light, mirrored lens...They did something similar with Persimmon and Hi-Persimmon, where the Hi-Persimmon was considered much better, even though they had simlar VLTs. The Iridium coating may improve on an already brilliant lens.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.

Seems to be firmly in the Hi-Yellow territory
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Good chart. I couldn't find anything with Hi-Pink in it. Looks like it won't cope with sun as well as the Rose, but will brighten things up in a whiteout.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I bought a pair two years ago and as before with Oakley goggles I just can't get them comfortable. That said neither the rose nor the jade lenses purchased were as good as my old Alpina Quattroflexes are all round in any weather. Thus new Quattroflexes purchased last year, very happy, comfy and no faffing with lens changes.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@robboj, Which Alpina goggle and which Quattroflex lens do you use?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@PowderAdict,

http://www.alpina-sports.com/de-en/snow-gear/goggles/challenge-20-qh-white/

Also cheaper at about €130 although I had to get them in Austria as couldn't find any UK retailers last year.

I don't need the OTG functionality - yet- but tbh didn't know it had that, they are not obviously large or bulky and in fact fit me much better than Oakleys.

Oakleys have twice overcome my 'want them' resistance, once with Airbrakes and then with Prizm A frames but they always pinch my nose, not painfully, but enough to be uncomfortable after a while.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I bought Prizms yesterday been lurking a while - Sapphire Iridium and also hi Pink spare lens for powder snow days. Awesome quality, researched it loads. Happy....
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Markymark29 wrote:
I bought Prizms yesterday been lurking a while - Sapphire Iridium and also hi Pink spare lens for powder snow days. Awesome quality, researched it loads. Happy....

Excellent. You can report back with a review of the Hi-Pink....cause as far as I know, there aren't any online yet.

Is the Hi-Pink much brighter to look through than the Prizm Rose?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
O for goggles.
I like pink lenses .. I don't know if its really true, I just feel pink gives a better definition and contrast, but I just like looking through rose coloured lenses.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Old Fartbag, Yes I looked through both and the hi pink is lighter and a wider range, more towards the hi yellow end which is what I was after. Bought them at Glide and Slide in Otley, full range available, fantastic service, bought same for me and my wife, Christmas came early! Will review at Christmas when we're we're away, so impressed with them....

We've both had Oakley polarised lenses for ages but these look like being another level!! Quality
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Cheers Mark.

There is still one hell of a difference between the VLT of Hi-Pink (25) and Hi-Yellow (83).

I can wear my G30 lenses in Sunshine, which will make the Hi-Pink very versatile...just like the Prizm Saphire. Nice mix of lenses.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DrLawn wrote:
O for goggles.
I like pink lenses .. I don't know if its really true, I just feel pink gives a better definition and contrast, but I just like looking through rose coloured lenses.

Looking at life through Rose Tinted lenses help with knee recovery....apparently. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Old Fartbag, Depends which frame you are after, as I bought Flightdeck Hi-Pinks yesterday

http://www.rxsport.co.uk/products/Oakley-Flight-Deck-Ski-Goggles-Replacement-Lens-Kit-%252d-Prizm-HI-Pink-Iridium.html
latest report
@robboj, I had nose pressure with the A-Frame, Splice, and to lesser extent the Airbrake. The Canopy was better, and the Flightdeck effectively zero pressure.

I have a big head at 62.5cm so XL or XXL helmets, and now it appears XL sized goggles Cool
snow conditions
PowderAdict wrote:
@Old Fartbag, Depends which frame you are after, as I bought Flightdeck Hi-Pinks yesterday

http://www.rxsport.co.uk/products/Oakley-Flight-Deck-Ski-Goggles-Replacement-Lens-Kit-%252d-Prizm-HI-Pink-Iridium.html

Thanks mate.

I have the Rose, so they would need to be something special for me to get a similar type lens. I really asked the question to bring some attention to it, in case it would help someone.
snow report
@PowderAdict, yeah, me too, 62.5cm or more for helmets, which is a real disappointment in terms of availability. I will stick with the Alpinas though, if you ever get a chance to demo I'd bet you find them better than the Oakleys!
snow conditions
Knew i'd seen this somewhere - Managed to crack by Hi-Yellows badly on the EoSB, reckoned some Hi-Pink Prizm might just be the replacement, but RX Sports assesment of the rose and the hi-pink seems opposite. They recommend the pinks for intermediate to low light and the pinks for low to very low... Hmm.
latest report
@Richard_Sideways, Me and Mrs MM29 both ski the sapphire iridium in all but flat light, and the pink in very flat light, was thinking we might need the rose but not so, the pink is very good, as are the sapphire lenses which for an all (but super flat) light lens are excellent. I've skied with Oakley polarised for years and these really are a much better lens, the clarity and all round vision of the new Oakleys are brilliant....even if mine are scratched already, one season old! rolling eyes Buy them and you wont be disappointed...hope that helps.
latest report
Thanks @Markymark29, Yep, annoying as the hi-yellows worked very nicely for me and I wouldn't have cracked them had it not been for some happy soul stopping on the runout at the top of Col in VT to take a selfie Mad
latest report
@Richard_Sideways, which goggles do you have? Check surfdome for some good deals on the prizm lenses.
snow report
Canopys - I've been looking at Surfdome and at Freeze Pro
ski holidays
@Richard_Sideways, As I've said above, I have the Prizm Rose. When I was in Tignes, I had a look through the Hi-Pink and Saphire/Torch/Jade.

I thought the Hi-Pink was a lot lighter than the VLT figures suggest. To me, it looked more like a VLT of about 40. I think that the Hi Pink would not be very comfortable if the sun came out, whereas the Rose seems to work in everything but a complete whiteout (and what works then?).

I think that the Hi Pink might be very slightly better in flat light, but a lot worse if the sun comes out...so it just depends on the amount of versatility you want.

Edit. Just found this, which puts Hi-Pink @ VLT 35-40.

http://youtube.com/v/-_tjkGjHSPQ
snow conditions
@Richard_Sideways, last week at the EoSB I was standing in the apartment of someone who had been on a goggle acquisition spree and so had the opportunity to try a few side by side which was really useful.

Old lenses: Fire Iridium and Hi Yellow
New lenses: Jade Prizm and Hi Pink Prizm

Having switched to a Jade Prizm myself, I was amazed at the range it provides. I also own a Persimmon lens, but never used it all week, and the Jade is fine in bright sun despite Oakley trying to sell a darker Black Prizm lens for this purpose.

I can't stand to use the Hi Yellow. For me, it is like looking at the sun, and almost worse than nothing. In contrast, the Hi Pink Prizm was much gentler on the eyes whilst still providing clarity at the low light end.

If you have something for bright sun, the Hi Pink Prizm will be a good addition. There is then no need to also buy the Rose Prizm as you will have that part of the range covered.
ski holidays
Hi @Scarlet, I've also got the Jade Iridium (Not Prizm) which I use for bright sun. I've used Hi-Yellow a LOT probably 3/4 of the time I've owned the Canopys as basically the default lens and I did carry on using it after cracking the lens for the couple of overcast days we had out in VT. Just finished the necessary clickies on Surfdome to acquire the Hi Pinks as I reckon they'll be the best replacement for the Hi Yellows.
latest report
@Scarlet, +1 you said it better than me!

The other thing that's relevant, if you buy say the sapphire (or jade) and carry the rose or pink in a white cloth pouch (I just wrap it inside a spare layer in my rucksack) it's such a quick lens exchange, they really are easy to swap over, unlike say the A Frame which were a real faff on the move.
snow report
I've got the Prism Rose for low light and the Prizm Black Iridium for bright light. I now regret the Black, I think I would have been better with one of the mid lenses (Jade / Sapphire etc.) - as the black is too dark (for me) in anything other than direct sunlight. This wasn't really in issue over the last couple of weeks in 3V, but earlier in the season in places with tree lined runs sometimes i ended up in deep shade and struggled to see. I have been impressed with the versatility of the Rose.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Markymark29, Do you mean for the Canopy frame? I have Flight Decks but haven't yet tried a lens swap as my others are a different frame (Stockholm). Just make sure you don't have a full tumble crash – I now carry my spare goggles in a hard case after cracking a lens in my backpack.
snow conditions
I was always a big fan of the Persimmon lens which, for me, was a brilliant all-rounder and if I were running just a single lens I reckon that's hard to beat. @Tubaski, know what you mean about the Black lens - it's just too dark, I tried it when I was originally shopping for the Canopys and it is really dark behind those - particularly when it's early morning or late afternoon when the shadows are coming onto the mountain, the contrast between the bits in light and shade are just too pronounced to see properly IMO.
ski holidays
@Scarlet, Flight decks dead easy to lens swap
ski holidays
Scarlet wrote:
@Richard_Sideways, last week at the EoSB I was standing in the apartment of someone who had been on a goggle acquisition spree and so had the opportunity to try a few side by side which was really useful.

Old lenses: Fire Iridium and Hi Yellow
New lenses: Jade Prizm and Hi Pink Prizm

Having switched to a Jade Prizm myself, I was amazed at the range it provides. I also own a Persimmon lens, but never used it all week, and the Jade is fine in bright sun despite Oakley trying to sell a darker Black Prizm lens for this purpose.

I can't stand to use the Hi Yellow. For me, it is like looking at the sun, and almost worse than nothing. In contrast, the Hi Pink Prizm was much gentler on the eyes whilst still providing clarity at the low light end.

If you have something for bright sun, the Hi Pink Prizm will be a good addition. There is then no need to also buy the Rose Prizm as you will have that part of the range covered.

T'was me that was on that acquisition spree - or rather a contra deal with the VT retailer for a quantity of Quiver Killer inserts Cool

I've been struggling with deteriorating/changing eye sight for a few years (I now wear a pair of 3 lens variofocal specs most of the time & reasonably strong readers when in my workshop) but can't ski in them & I can't find a single lens prescription that works for me for skiing. Contact lenses aren't suitable for me either.

I've had my Fire Iridium & Hi-Yellow A Frames since they came out years ago & they have been excellent but I've been searching for a lens/lenses that will give me more definition/detail to help counter my eye s(h)ite issues & to give me that split second advantage, particularly when off-piste in variable snow & flat light etc, that I know I've lost over the last few years.

I spent an hour with an Oakley tech guy & his eyes/lens testing kit at the trade show in January & the two lens combo of the Prizm Jade (or Torch/Sapphire) & the Prizm Hi Pink were significantly better for me than my current lenses or any of the offerings from Smith who I also spent time with.

Scarlet is spot on with her review & her comparison with my older lenses. The only thing that I'd add is that I've used their Black Iridium lens in sunglasses before which is superb in bright light but if you suddenly go in to shade (which can happen a lot when skiing) you end going blind for a few seconds whilst your eye adjusts which is pretty scary so I'd avoid them in goggles. We had about the brightest light levels you can get at the end of last week & the Jade's were great going in/out of heavily shaded areas.

The Prizm Rose would make a great single lens solution but for me I need the extra range of a really low light lens (I always seem to get at least day or two of mega flat light in every week I ski) so the Jade/Torch/Sapphire paired with the Hi Pink was the best combo. And as I always ski with an avi backpack carrying a spare pair of goggles versus a replacement lens is a lot less faff & it gives me a pucka spare in case of breakage.

And Oakley have certainly upped the durability with the Prizm range as Scarlet's gogs survived two mega face plants intact & scratch free - if only her nose was as tough Laughing

The Prizm lenses are available in A Frames but my Oakley man told me that the A Frame was being dropped soon so he recommended choosing a different frame. The Flight Deck frame is a tad wider'n'taller than the A Frame but is a great fit for me & is actually a better fit with my Giro Seam helmet than my old A Frame & with a noticeable increase in field of view.
snow report
@spyderjon, the only thing I'd add to that is that I'm not sure the glasses and goggle lenses are directly comparable. Oakley produce separate charts for both, and the VLT for two lenses of the same name is not always the same value. No idea if it is the same for the black iridium or not though.

I've felt a bit rough today with a bit of a headache. I think I might still be recovering from two knocks to the head Shocked

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 24-04-17 20:41; edited 1 time in total
latest report
@Markymark29, You must have different Flightdecks to me. Airbrakes etc are a true 10-15 second swap, and can be done easily on a chairlift. My Flightdecks are probably an absolute minimum of a minute if the nose connects cleanly, otherwise a couple of minutes, plus a lense clean to remove all the finger prints.

I can remember a lense swap video clip from an Oakley chap showing how easy they were to swap. It was clear when he had finished, that they weren't in properly. There is a difference between getting them attached so they don't fall off, and getting them fully fitted and sealed.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 25-04-17 10:55; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Scarlet wrote:
@spyderjon, the only thing I'd add to that is that I'm not sure the glasses and goggle lenses are directly comparable. Oakley produce separate charts for both, and the VLT for two lenses of the same name is not always the same value. No idea if it is the same for the black iridium or not though......

Yep, I'm aware of that. Back in the day in my competitive shooting days I was sponsored by Oakley and I've still got a pair of M Frame sunnies with every lens they do & my black iridium's have a VLT of 11% which is right in the 10-13% quoted for the same Prizm lens.
snow conditions
I have had the Prizm (Sapphire, Torch, Rose, Hi-Pink) lenses as well as Airbrakes, Flight Deck and now Airbrake XL google frames from the last 4 years now.

I wear them with a Giro Edit (which I believe is similar to a Giro Montane - one of the lightest Giro Helmets available , well ventilated ). I think I have very sensitive eyes (bless...) - I was using drops after a 4/5 bluebird days at c 2500m this Easter and then had to go to Cat 4 Glacier Glasses.

A few of my own observations:

- Against the prior Oakley lenses (Persimon etc etc ) the Prizm lenses really are excellent in difficult light. They can absolutely make the difference to your day being a good one or a really bad one. I have often been with other skiers who complain that they can't see anything , when I can see loads and then get very excited when I give them a peek through my goggles.

- I thought the Hi Pink would be amazing after my experiences with the Rose Prizm - but they can be just too bright for me and immediately get quite "wincey" for me if the light gets bright and white as the sun tries to break through the fog

- The "mid" prizm google lenses (Torch/Sapphire/Jade) are not strong enough for me on a full bluebird day and I need a full "sun" lens, Sometimes I use Prizm depending on google frame I was trying

- The Flight Decks have awesome peripheral vision followed by the Airbrake XL then the Airbrakes (of the ones I use). The Airbrake XLs do not seem to air seal as well as the Airbrakes did an I think some UV gets through that way if that is an issue, it is for me! Don't confuse the Flight Deck with the smaller Flight Deck XM (which my wife uses)

- I find the the Flight Decks super easy to change marginally slower than the Airbrake and Airbrake XL but in both cases way better vision and v the XL better seal. I never change lenses on a lift - thats when you check Insta right ? Seriously, I m done at the top just like that. Once every other day normally.

- Some of the "double glazing" in my lenses seems to have become unglued in the off season last year and i haven't had time to check on the amazing Oakley guaran yet so beware of storage (heat? suncream on the cloth?)

- Skiing is Fun!!!!

I have no experience of the Smith "Chromapop" which seems to be the main competitor.

Conclusion - if i was in buying googles again there is now way I wouldn't buy Prizm Oakley again - If on budget maybe A Frame or equiv in Rose and Mid with a Full sun non Prizm and otherwise a Flight Deck !
ski holidays
"- The "mid" prizm google lenses (Torch/Sapphire/Jade) are not strong enough for me on a full bluebird day and I need a full "sun" lens, Sometimes I use Prizm depending on google frame I was trying"

Just re-reading this - I should say that these are absolutely excellent and what I tend to start the day in if there is any cloud, overcast, sun and cloud. Also if skiing shadows, tree runs as well. Rose comes out when it goes "flat".
latest report
I have airbrake XL's and agree with the comments in here about the prizm lenses. I use the torch and jade for general mixed days, hi-pink for cloudy/flat light. For the bright sunshine days I have these, they worked really well. The style may be a bit 80's for some but functionally they are quality.

https://www.surfdome.com/oakley_goggles_-_oakley_wind_jacket_2_0_-_matte_black_-_prizm_black_iridium-251434
snow conditions
Can anyone tell me what colour the prism lenses appear (when views from inside) - I'm looking at Hi Rose for low light and Prism Jade for more light. I tend to like amber/brown tones, but the Hi pink I assume is pink and the Jade a grey/pink from looking at promo info.

Anyone confirm what colour they turn your view?
ski holidays
The Rose is, well, rose pink. The black iridium also has something of a red/pink tinge to my eyes at least.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy