Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BASI 1 QUESTIONS

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Helloooooooo!

I'm in search of Basi 1 reassurance/advice/experiences, as I've got my Basi 1 @ Chillfactore in Nov! I'm suuuper excited as I've been meaning to to it for ages, but also pretty nervous.
I've skied two seasons (one when I was 7 and one last year), plus holidays since age 3, so am comfortable on pretty much all terrain + off-piste. I also spent last season working in a ski school, so got out everyday. HOWEVER I'm seriously nervous about the technical assessment for the course as I haven't been on the snow since April... I've also got completely new gear so scared that it'll take a bit of time for me to get my legs back and perform how I want to perform.
What's the general standard like for the technical assessment?
I'm also planning to use my brand new ( snowHead ) Blizzard Black Pearls, they're 166, and about the same height as me... https://www.glisshop.co.uk/alpine_ski/blizzard/black_pearl-80131.html
Would these serve me? or should I consider renting a more piste-focused ski, to ensure short terms turn out okay? (ha ha ha pun)

Any advice/experiences that you may be able to share would be sooooo very appreciated.

(I also have no snowdomes close to me to practice as I live on a little Island)

Thank you Cool
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi there @jasfrancesca,

For basi 1 in a dome the choice of skis isn't toooooo important. I know someone who passed using Hemel rental skis. Insane twintips or powder boards aren't a great idea but your black pearls are probably fine.

You're not expected to be "at the level" from the first moment of the first day. It's expected that you may not have been on your skis for a while. Main thing they'll look for is versatility and ability to follow instructions to change what you're doing. I suspect from your level of experience your technical skills will be fine. Other things to think about are your confidence of standing and presenting in front of a group of people you don't know. I have seen people fail the L1 teach because of the public speaking aspect.

Good luck!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Maireadoconnor, big thanks for the response! Feeling okay with my ski choice now...
Interesting about the public speaking as well, cheers for bringing that to my attention Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The technical standard is not especially high, but you will be expected to ski with precision. So well timed movements, which are obvious to an external observer, consistency and accuracy are all required at a higher level than we can get away with when free skiing. Don't worry about not being on the money on day one - it's a week long course and the Trainer will allow plenty of time for all the candidates to work up to their best skiing. Providing you are consistently at or above the standard by day 4 or 5 you should get the pass.

As for skis, ask your Trainers advice on day 1 if (s)he thinks they are suitable.

Enjoy the course!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@jasfrancesca, i am more interested in how hard your season partying was at age 7. Respect!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@under a new name, hahaha, yeah my dad wanted to pass on his ski bug, so moved the family out to the alps for the winter - I can't remember too much of it, but his love for après has caught on so guess it was a pretty heavy season Wink

@rob@rar, Thanks very much!!!! Will keep that all in mind. V reassuring Smile
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi @jasfrancesca, I did my L1 in Morzine last year, had a brilliant time and my skiing improved no end over the week. I'd echo what's been said above, especially the "ability to follow instructions to change what you're doing" bit. One of our group wouldn't (or couldn't) change what they were doing in their short turns ("I've always done them like this, and they're fine!") and ended up with a fail. Listen carefully to what you're asked to do. Do it. All will be good. Smile

Bon Courage!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The Boy, Gregory did his L1 earlier this year.
We were reliably informed, by a recently-ex trainer friend, that his ski standard was easily up to what is required but nevertheless he was hugely nervous.
At the start of the week he took on board some advice re his short turns but a couple of days later was getting insecure about getting no further feedback. We spoke to our friend who suggested that, with 10 candidates in the group, some were bound to need more work than him so the trainer was probably focusing on those and no news was likely good news. This proved to be the case.
I think we can conclude that a certain degree of self-sufficiency is presumed: after all, the idea is that you become the nanny not the nannied Wink

Onward to L2! Cool
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy