Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kitzbuehel re-using last years snow to open early?

Poster: A snowHead
Just stumbled across this on an other website, but interesting to see somewhere in Europe trying this out.

Seems to be a reasonable cover from the webcam, any snowheads skied it?

Anyone know how/where they "stored" the snow??

http://www.bergfex.com/kitzbuehel-kirchberg/webcams/c1363/
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wow!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@kitenski, Heli'd in from Grossglockner I'd suggest, evident by the small piles. They have done this there before to try to get the Streiff ready in bad years.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
One place that did just store old snow was Les Saisies. They covered it with woodchips and then uncovered it the day the Tour de France went past.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ruka, Finland opened on 10th October. Website said:

Only the glaciers of central Europe can beat Ruka in the race for good early season skiing. A favourable climate is of course an requirement, but this would not be possible without a high-quality snowmaking machinery. Not to forget the snow-how!

Ruka opens on 10 October at 10 am

The Ruka ski season will open on Monday 10 October 2016 at 10 am. The opening of Saarua slope, every year one of the earliest to be opened, is possible due to snow from last season, stored over the summer.

The starting season saw this snow storing method implemented for the first time. In the future, the goal is to open the slopes even earlier than this year, and, above all, publish the opening date already at the end of the spring season.

– This method will also secure the longest ski season in Finland, naturally, says Operational Director Matti Parviainen from Rukakeskus Ltd.

According to Mr Parviainen, the fact that an exact, early opening date can be set is advantageous for both the skiers and the ski resort. In future years, Rukakeskus wants to use stored snow for the opening of several slopes all at once, and as early as possible.

– For instance, as soon as Ruka Park is ready for action, it will be crowded with customers. The Park will be one of the next slopes to open at Ruka, he promises.

Storing snow in sawdust is an ancient method. However, the aim of Rukakeskus is to develop a more cost-effective and secure method of storing snow over the summer. For the moment, the technology as well as the material used for covering the snow are kept secret.

Last January, three snow storage piles were made, totalling 30,000 m³ of stored snow. The Saarua slope will be covered with half of this amount. The other half melted away in the summer heat.

– It is still plenty of snow for our purposes, says Mr Parviainen.

The new method for storing snow is in line with the company’s environmental thinking. Compared with early season snow-making, the use of old snow will save a significant amount of energy. The environment will be grateful!

At the moment, preparations are made for season opening also at other slopes in Ruka. Snow-making will start immediately when day temperatures fall below zero degrees Celsius. Mr Parviainen believes that this will happen during next week. The goal is to have several slopes open in time for the first weeks of the autumn school break.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sat 29-10-16 17:08; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Can never seem to figure how to post a picture so it is embedded. Photobucket gives me options for links to 1. Email & IM, 2. Direct, 3. HTML, 4. IMG. Which is it?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kitenski wrote:

I was there in the summer and saw it stored in a large heap under a white tarpaulin near the start of the men's downhill track, there was another stash a bit further down too.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Themasterpiece, Use the IMG link
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Saas-Fee store thousands of cubic metres on the glacier under white plastic in huge mounds.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
JimboS wrote:
kitenski wrote:

I was there in the summer and saw it stored in a large heap under a white tarpaulin near the start of the men's downhill track, there was another stash a bit further down too.

This if my dad's pics were anything to go by - stored it in "whales"
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Themasterpiece, yes I'm aware of Ruka doing the same, but I was quite interested in how a "relative" low lying area did it especially as I recall summer was fairly warm at times
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Saalbach-Hinterglemm has been storing snow for many years. It is kept under wraps by the Zwolfer Nordbahn and used to ensure that there is snow for the snowmobile racing at the beginning of December.

Report from 2014 here: http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/413505/Ski-resort-opens-with-snow-stored-from-last-year

The huge mound of snow has as usual been stored this summer but the Snowmobile GP in December has been cancelled due to lack of sponsors.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Tue 25-10-16 17:44; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
For the (Austrian) German speakers, a report on this on Servus TV ( Red Bull's TV station ). They really do store the snow up on Pass Thurn over the summer! Was news to me.

http://www.servustv.com/at/Medien/Schnee-von-gestern3
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Stored under woodchips and plastic on the hill.
ski holidays
@Steilhang, thanks that video shows them lining it with some kind of foam covers I guess then plastic??
snow report
Here's a photo from last week of the Kitz locals unpacking the snow:

snow conditions
A number of the x country ski areas do this. Prémanon in the Jura since at least 2009. It makes sense for them as snowmaking is costly relative to what they can charge skiers. It provides a good base and you don't need a huge depth to ski on - wear is less.

Given the foehn today - 25C in the valleys and warm at altitude - I question the wisdom of using this snow in October in the Alps except very high and on N. slopes.

http://www.stylealpin.com/dans-le-jura-on-stocke-la-neige/
ski holidays
kitenski wrote:
@Steilhang, thanks that video shows them lining it with some kind of foam covers I guess then plastic??
yes. They use 10cm thick foam plates and then cover the whole thing in 5m wide plastic sheets held together by velcro strips.
snow conditions
davidof wrote:
A number of the x country ski areas do this. Prémanon in the Jura since at least 2009. It makes sense for them as snowmaking is costly relative to what they can charge skiers. It provides a good base and you don't need a huge depth to ski on - wear is less.
/

Makes we wonder why most/all ski resorts don't do it for an early season base that has to be cheaper than running cannons??
ski holidays
Yes a good solution in places that want to have an early run open. It requires a good depth of snow at the end of the season but most resorts will have the vehicles and manpower available. It t sounds cheaper and greener than making the same amount, although there is a cost in storing then redistributing it.
ski holidays
The (German language) alpinforum.com has photos of the snow storage both at Pass Thurn/Resterhöhe and near the Walde chairlift on the Hahnenkamm (where JimboS saw it) here. I believe there are blocks of insulating material under the plastic covers. I think the Walde lift should start operating on 5th November.

If it makes much sense (apart from an advertising point of view), I'm not sure. I haven't tried it myself. It is mild here this week.
ski holidays
There is now a
video clip online which shows how it was last weekend. Better than I expected, actually, quite wintry, though only the one short piste, no. 71, seems to be open. The Austrian ladies' team is training there, I believe. However, I can't work up much enthusiasm for trying it myself, the glacier still seems a better bet.
ski holidays
kitenski wrote:
Makes we wonder why most/all ski resorts don't do it for an early season base that has to be cheaper than running cannons??

It's not really "cheaper then running cannons", out of two reasons... first, you need man made snow to begin with. They never store natural snow, as it's not compact enough so it's not worth saving it as they would lose most of it during summer. They don't scrap old man made snow from the hill or something similar either, but they produce it specifically for storing it (when temperatures are optimal to get least of water and air inside of snow). And then there's cost of storing it. I believe in last few years, when everyone are doing it, prices went down, but some 10 years ago, when there was very few places doing it, price for storing enough snow to open 3km long xc ski track up in Lapland was about 300.000eur.
snow conditions
Looks like false economy to me........ transport costs/ maintainence etc through summer etc.......I'd rather wait until it arrives naturally and ride my mountainbike until it does. Part of the attraction for me is the Alpine snowy landscape, a white strip down the middle of an otherwise grassy vista isn't particularly appealing, OK if you're local I guess but they'll not be that challenged by it either will they unless its for teaching kids maybe?
snow report
Looks busyish. They will make their money back in a week or two, as well as the free advertising on excitable ski forums...
snow report
[quote]
excitable ski forums
[/quote

snowHead Laughing
latest report
and Premanon due to open on the 7th November using stored snow

although that looks like a huge mound of elephant dung

http://www.nordicmag.info/la-piste-des-tuffes-bientot-enneigee-1029/
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
davidof wrote:
although that looks like a huge mound of elephant dung

Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Quote:

Part of the attraction for me is the Alpine snowy landscape, a white strip down the middle of an otherwise grassy vista isn't particularly appealing,

+1

The Les Saisies snow storing was a one-off, just for a special "slope opening" gimmick for the TdF.

I think it was being scraped off surrounding pistes, not specially made.
snow conditions
In fact, I'm sure that's the case - no way was it cold enough to make snow, at the time.
ski holidays
I skied it last year beginning of December, its on the Resterhoe side of the area so nowhere near Kitzbuhel town itself. The run goes from the top of the Resterhoe lift station down into Pass Thurn. Its a fabulous red in season, but no more than a two hour distraction at the moment; you'd be better driving 30 minutes up the road to Kitzsteinhorn glacier
latest report
jogi wrote:
kitenski wrote:

It's not really "cheaper then running cannons", out of two reasons... first, you need man made snow to begin with. They never store natural snow, as it's not compact enough so it's not worth saving it as they would lose most of it during summer. They don't scrap old man made snow from the hill or something similar either, but they produce it specifically for storing it (when temperatures are optimal to get least of water and air inside of snow). And then there's cost of storing it. I believe in last few years, when everyone are doing it, prices went down, but some 10 years ago, when there was very few places doing it, price for storing enough snow to open 3km long xc ski track up in Lapland was about 300.000eur.

I wouldn't have thought it needs to be man made snow ? Surely any high density snow should be fine. Spring snow should be ideal ? Presumably the objective is to minimise air content. Puzzled
ski holidays
Mr Lederhosen wrote:
The run goes from the top of the Resterhoe lift station down into Pass Thurn.

No, this isn't the run that's open (as I understand it). All that is skiable is the short run down alongside the Resterkogel 4-seat chairlift, piste 71 (see here). Fine, perhaps, for slalom training but nothing much to write home about for general skiing. As you say, the Kitzsteinhorn is a better bet in this area.
snow conditions
Peter S wrote:
I wouldn't have thought it needs to be man made snow ? Surely any high density snow should be fine. Spring snow should be ideal ? Presumably the objective is to minimise air content. Puzzled

Well it's not Wink They store only man made snow made especially for this. They do this during winter already when temperatures and humidity are ideal for production. Structure of man made snow is nowhere near comparable to any natural snow, and therefore its consistency and preservation rate for summer storage can't be compared to anything you can do with natural snow. Considering prices of this process, they want to keep as much of snow as possible, so man made snow is only way to go.
snow report
This article suggests that quantity is more important than quality and that natural as well as artificial snow can be used. Interestingly the real efficiencies are achieved after subsequent recycling phases, ie. The snow can be stored more than once

https://www.outsideonline.com/2063151/future-winter-sports-storing-snow Cool
snow conditions
Not that snow can be stored more then once, but tool used for storing snow can be used more the once Wink And again, everyone use only man made snow. Sure natural snow can be used, but it's too expensive process to use snow which majority of it will be gone by the time you need it.
latest report
Lots of snow was stored at the top section of the Hahnenkamm - the section covered by the Walde lift. Walking in the hills from St Johann to Kitzbuhel recently I could see that the mounds of snow had been converted to a piste, but the Walde lift doesn't appear to be open yet. We had the first frost of the year in the valley last night, so I suspect the Walde lift will be open real soon. Good for headlines about early opening of resorts, but not yet offering much skiing.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy