Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and The Espace Killy 2016/17 (Useful links in Post 1).

Poster: A snowHead
Hope everyone is ok. Not good.

Four dead in avalanche at French ski resort Tignes
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-38954628
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A medium avvy, not far from the town and trails.

snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Texted all my friends i have a number for in Tignes. All but one has replied. Worrying times. Been down there many times. The dark side of our sport. Stay safe snowheads!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Is that a popular way down from Toviere @Mark1863? We always come down Trolles but I don't seem to remember seeing many off-piste skiers on that slope.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think that's called Lavachet wall. I was warned to avoid it, apparently its a bit prone to sliding. Nasty terrain trap behind it if I remember correctly.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Back in (with Tigski). @rogg, is correct the berm in the red circle is man made and is there to protect the village and the road. @franga, Its not that popular as it is tricky to get to and involves legwork, the more classic route down is from the ridge to the left of shot.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Is that where the ava happened? BBC news report here http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-38954628 shows what looks like a different pic of the rescue site (though their second pic is more or less the same as the one above). The one above seems to show a "road" which I thought from memory was the bail-out option for those who didn't want to go down the steep pitch at the bottom of Trolles? Could be wrong of course!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It's quite a big one actually as it came from right up the top by the avalanche fences and finished up in the dip in the red ringed area. Coincidentally, I happened to be sitting on a chair lift with Steve Angus and had just introduced myself to him when he got the news. It is the Lavachet Wall - we're in Lavachet looking up at it. Sad day - you know it's not good when you see the EsF and other resort staff in tears Sad
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@larkim, I was wondering if the road you mention has been covered in the slide as well.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@chocksaway, it often goes there a few times a season ?

I've seen slide debris and my daughter lived at the bottom for two seasons and took a few photos of incidents / rescues in the past, but as she just said to me nothing that big!

I thought access was not too bad for wannabe Freeriders - which begs the question why is it not controlled especially with the super sensitive snow pack currently, and the start of the holiday hordes and all that goes with them?

This pic was posted in the OffPiste thread
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The "road" from Trolles hasn't been covered - it came down a few hundred metres to the left of that as you are looking up the mountain and was collected in the "trap" that Chocksaway mentions. That protected the village, but sadly the compression behind the berm there would make it even worse than normal for anyone caught in the slide

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Mon 13-02-17 16:19; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
So sad. I've refreshed my memory now and of course Trolles is further to the right with the small escape roads not passing underneath the Lavachet wall, my memory wasn't quite as good as I thought.

Sobering and tragic. RIP.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Local police now reporting (per BBC) that the 5 people missing may not have met up with the group as planned and therefore could be OK
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Fingers crossed
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@franga,

Its a popular off-piste route. Personally I am treating all steep off-piste routes as particularly suspect this year; given the long delay between base snowfall and mid-Jan and after falls Not clear from pics if it reached the pathway off the Trolles to the Brassaro in Lavachet.
If initial reports are correct then a higher group set it off and a lower group suffered the consequences. We must be sorry for everyone involved including those in the higher group, I would never forgive myself and would never ski again
latest report
Not sure about this 'higher group' I can find nothing in any of the resources that I vaguely trust.

The number involved is still a conumdrum - again I can't find anything official. French TV just said that 5 members of the party are from one family.
latest report
http://www.henrysavalanchetalk.com/fatal-avalanche-tignes-13-february-2017/
snow conditions
Mark1863 wrote:
@franga,
If initial reports are correct then a higher group set it off and a lower group suffered the consequences.

From the webcam images there only appeared to be one group that disappeared as the avalanche avalanche appeared (10.30 - 10.40). We don't know what happened so lets leave the finger pointing until the actual events are known. Terrifying stuff, think the pictures make it look a lot smaller than it actually was.
latest report
chocksaway wrote:
the more classic route down is from the ridge to the left of shot.

How do you get to the "classic way"? Traverse skiers left skiing down under/near Tommeuses or ski off in a NE direction from the top of Combe Folle and then traverse skiers left? Both seem quite a bit of work?
snow conditions
@galpinos, Hike up the ridge from the top of the Combe Folle, ski one of the Couloirs and then traverse round. Or as you say traverse a bit lower round familial.
snow conditions
Thanks @Mark1863, a very very sad and sombre affair ... somehow, it makes it even more stark when the resort in question is one that we know, visit and love ...
snow conditions
Re Mark1863 It didn't reach the path - it was all contained in the "trap" above.
latest report
In light of today's events I will be brief with the weather. The cloud will thicken through this evening, there may even be a few flocons through the evening. The wind will reduce to a breeze by morning when it will be overcast and warm, the sun should make an appearance in the afternoon. Wednesday and Thursday will see blue skies light winds and sunshine, It will feel very warm for this time of year. We will see a few more clouds on the peaks on Friday, but essentially it will be a nice day.
latest report
@galpinos,
No finger pointing. Just a statement of what was reported. Do not misinterpret. My sympathy is with all those involved whether killed or not. I thought I had made that clear. Not sure how you make out what I said is apportioning blame. The facts will come in the fullness of time.

As @chocksaway, in a way says perhaps discussion best left for another day
ski holidays
@galpinos,
No finger pointing. Just a statement of what was reported. Do not misinterpret. My sympathy is with all those involved whether killed or not. I thought I had made that clear. Not sure how you make out what I said is apportioning blame. The facts will come in the fullness of time.

latest report
@galpinos,

latest report
Thinking of everyone in Tignes tonight. Pleased all of the SnowHeads are safe, but very sad for all affected by the tragedy. Terrible and tragic. Stay safe.
ski holidays
Well no skiing for me today as a certain shipping company promised delivery of a new set of skis, I am still waiting.......... but at least I have done a few jobs round the apt.

Well there was less cloud than expected this morning and there was a decent breeze in the village. It was mostly a blue sky, a thin layer of cloud appeared above the peaks in the afternoon as the breeze drops. We are certainly getting a taste of spring, the freezing level is around the main villages of Tignes and Val D'Isere (even through the night) so the pistes are getting softer. This will of course mean they will be quite hard early in the mornings for the next few days. Weather-wise we are entering a period of high pressure, so light winds, clear blue skies with lots of sunshine from tomorrow until Friday. On Saturday there should be a few clouds on the peaks but still a very pleasant day. Beyond that looks a little bit unsettled but nothing too dramatic.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
So in I stayed again, and the parcel company delivered a note in my post box saying they couldn't deliver. It would have been quicker to get in the lift and deliver the box! Hopefully the very helpful ladies in the Poste Office have intervened and I can collect it tomorrow night.

It was a beautiful day, very spring like. Having chatted with mates the pistes were firm early on softening during the day. Tomorrow will be just like today, a thin veil of cloud may appear late afternoon. There is still much speculation on Friday, a weak front is coming from the north, and will give light snow showers for Switzerland. Some forecasts say it will reach us, others say it won't. Has anyone got a coin? But Friday will be cloudy and there will be a stiff breeze above the villages which may close the high lifts, it will also be cooler, the wind will only make this feel worse.. Make sure you get your trip up the Grand Motte tomorrow! Saturday should see the sun return, there may be the odd loud about, the same for Sunday really.
snow conditions
Witnessed an interesting collision on my last run of the day today. It happened near the ESF hut at the bottom of the little slalom area off the top of Palafour. It was one of those you just knew in a glance was going to happen.

A skier was completely taken out by a sledge!!!

Luckily both parties were OK, but words were exchanged. There is a gap in the new "Palafou" luge run at that point and the skier was totally oblivious when he wandered across the track.
snow conditions
@Tigski, Like someone said when the Luge first opened ........ "Try it before somebody gets killed and they ban it!" Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
Well the parcel arrived, 3 days late and in the place where wanted it to go originally. So as I will be trying them tomorrow anyone skiing across them in a queue is likely to be skewered by a sharp ski pole.....

Another glorious day and boy, was it warm. I had changed to the spring jacket, but the gilet last 10 minutes and the roll neck another hour, there was very little left after that. To be fair we were doing a bit of hiking with Evo2. We started with the Chardonnet which was like a mogulled piste to start with, the snow now has really transformed into quite heavy stuff with a crust on it. After a trip round the pimples near Grand Huit (nearly spring snow we launched up the Col de Ves for the North Face of Grande Balme where the snow was excellent, so much so that we id it a second time after lunch. The rest of the afternoon was taken up down Leisse (the bump field on piste is something to behold!) and finally the tongue of the glacier, again nice snow, but you really need to know where you are going. As we travelled on Vanoise, we could see the aftermath of a serious accident on Rimaye, the PGHM helo was just landing. However, the pisteurs had set up a barrier chicane and numerous pairs of crossed skis and had stationed a pisteur before the chicane, but clearly some idiots have no regard for those in desperate need and were trying to 'schuss the obstacle course'. Luckily our pisteurs are made of strong stuff and we watched him rugby tackle two skiers to the ground, you could here the dressing down from the chairlift!!

Thin clouds are now gathering and these will thicken and lower through the evening. It looks like the front is not going to make it to us, so expect a mostly cloudy day tomorrow with the odd sunny period. The wind will pick up from the west in the afternoon, so just keep an eye on the links, especially if you are planning a getaway tomorrow night to avoid the 30000 cars going down the hill and 37000 coming up on Saturday (that is a peak week, the delays will be bad irrespective of the weather). Saturday itself will be pretty much like today when the few clouds disappear in the morning. Sunday - blue skies and sunshine and then 3 days of sunny periods and increasing temperatures. The end of the week looks a bit unsettled.
latest report
Another fine morning, but the clouds did build through the day as did the winds. They have closed some of the lifts early, no doubt a few pedestrians will miss their last days revelling at a well known venue above La Daille. There has been a few flocons going past the window in the last hour. Today was spent getting used to the new skis on piste. The pistes are still generally in excellent condition, there are a few hard patches developing in high traffic areas, they will get a rest tomorrow. e finished by 1.30pm to avoid 'frantic Friday' as many Parisiens had there last run!!!!

This cloudy spell will continue until midnight or so, the sky will then clear and the wind will drop and tomorrow should be a beautiful day in the mountains. It will remain warm. At the moment the forecast looks like blue skies, sunshine and virtually no wind until Wednesday at least, it will gradually get warmer as well. Thursday looks a bit unsettled. However, I would mention that there is quite a lot of weather heading towards Austria mid-week, if the high pressure were to collapse a bit there is a slim chance it could pop over here.

And the travel, there is no way of dressing it up, the only positive news is that there is no snow forecast for tomorrow! It is the busiest weekend of the season so far with 37000 vehicles heading for the Tarentaise and 30000 leaving. So either leave tonight or before 7am in the morning or well after lunch. If you are heading up the hill, have some sandwiches and a bottle of water (and maybe an empty one too) there will be big jams. For those 'slipping the surly bonds of earth' (J G Magee) most of the airports will be dank and dreary in the UK, nothing to cause any problems with the possible chance of fog at Gatwick. Inevitably there will be some delays at the airports caused by congestion. Over here the weather in Geneva will be good for flying. But, there is a 40% chance of fog at Chambery, Grenoble and Lyon. So it is likely to hit one of them, lets hope it is Lyon as they are best equipped to cope, if it is Grenoble, then there could be delays, if it is Chambery then it will be closed until it clears. Fingers crossed!
snow report
@chocksaway, you are becoming a real fair weather seasonaier!
What are the new skis?
snow conditions
@stewart woodward, ooooo no, just don't like Friday afternoons.

Sin7.
ski holidays
What a glorious day for............sitting in a traffic jam! The air travellers got away with it as the thick fog only pitched up at Lyon where operations continued with a few delays. But the roads are horrendous, as I type at 1630 hrs there is a 35km queue of traffic from the lights at Aigueblanche, all the way through Moutiers and past the peage on the A43. There are going to be some fractious kids (and parents) in the chalets tonight, I prescribe 'Chalet Red' (for the over 18s, obviously).

Meanwhile, we enjoyed a relatively quiet day in Tignes and Val D'Isere, although the Grand Motte sector was busy,, there was a couple of cable car loads waiting all morning. After a charge round the early morning pistes we decided to try the offpiste below the Funiculaire station and one or two gullies had collected last night's snow and there were freshtracks, even if they were only 3cm deep, but as the underlying snowpack was smooth it made for an enjoyable morning. After a coffee we decided to see if spring snow had developed in the Grand Huit area (the pimples), sadly it was not quite there yet, the sun was not quite strong enough. So every turn was different and we'll have another go in a week or two!

Tomorrow will be a carbon copy of today, maybe a couple of degrees cooler. Monday will be a nice day but with a thin layer of cloud at height, the weather fronts to the east, that I mentioned yesterday, are now coming a little closer hence the change. Tuesday looks like bringing sunny periods and the warmer temperatures will return. There may be some light snow overnight into Wednesday which will again be made up of sunny periods. Temperatures will be well above freezing by lunchtime, about the same for Thursday. The big change occurs on Friday with high winds and snow above 1900m during the day. The amounts are pretty unsure.

For those travelling tomorrow, the roads will be quieter providing they clear the jams from today!! Flying from the UK should be OK, just the odd bit of mist around (maybe very early fog at Gatwick). Over here, there is a much slimmer chance of fog at the French airports but with a bit of a breeze this should soon clear. Again, Lyon seems to be most susceptible.
snow conditions
@chocksaway, were you on your new skis?

No1 son was back home in GOC by 3pm today but they were on the first bus out of town this morning heading for Geneva.
snow conditions
GeorgeVII wrote:

No1 son was back home in GOC by 3pm today

Good to see he has moved into Yorkshire Very Happy
ski holidays
@stewart woodward, Very Happy Very Happy

@GeorgeVII, Yes, going well, then it may just be they have edges and wax Shocked

The traffic jam into Moutiers is only 20ks now (9.30pm) Shocked
snow report
The White Rose was in the ascendant today, 8 of us, and then @stewart woodward, joined us in the Jam Bar.

Pretty much a piste day all round today, I saw very few folks off piste other than a few 'skinners'. In general the pistes are in very good condition, but there are one or two slick areas that you have to keep an eye out for. But from Bellvarde, to the Grande Motte there were lots of holidaymakers enjoying the slopes of Tignes-Val D'Isere. Today was moderately busy, I expect tomorrow will be worse as the Sunday transfers join in and the ski schools start spreading their wings.

After a cold night tomorrow will be pretty much like this afternoon, a little more cloud after lunch perhaps. After that it is getting a little harder to be precise as the high pressure keeps contacting and expanding. But Tuesday looks like it will be more cloudy in the morning and sun in the afternoon. A strong wind will also pick up above 2200m in the afternoon. Wednesday morning looks nice, but the wind will again pick up after lunch, threatening the opening of the high lifts, it will also be a good 3 or 4 degrees warmer. Thursday looks nice in the morning, deteriorating in the afternoon as the weather approaches. But the snow will not start until the early hours of Friday, there will be strong winds all day, and snow showers moving quickly across the sky. The snowline will start below resort levels but will creep up to 1900m in the morning before descending below Les Brevieres later. In the colder air and winds it will feel pretty much like winter has returned. Currently transfer days looks fine, but no promises, as ever.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy