Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and The Espace Killy 2016/17 (Useful links in Post 1).

Poster: A snowHead
@lynnecha, The Tignes-Val D'Isere area is due to open on 26 Nov. What they actually open is conditions dependant. However, Brev will not be open until the teens of December.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
First reported incident of the season?

http://www.ledauphine.com/savoie/2016/11/13/un-jeune-skieur-secoue-par-une-coulee
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks @chocksaway, much obliged!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Looked great on the webcams this afternoon. Temps still below zero c. Snow making in evidence. They've been pushing snow around at the Toviere summit near the gondola exits and the Tommeuse chair. This is always pretty wind-scoured so I guess they're packing it down whilst they can. Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@GeorgeVII, Eh up - he's out of 'ibernation!

Lanches chair is due to open tomorrow, should help reduce the queues on the 'stairway to heaven'. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hello Everyone - especially Tignes locals...

Can you please help with a seemingly impossible task......

My husband will be staying at Hotel Diva in Tignes Val Claret during week 25 Feb-04 Mar 2017 pre-celebrating his 60th with old school friends and our son.
We (wife, daughter & Fiancee, plus son's girlfriend) want to come out and surprise him on the slopes but are finding it near impossible to find accommodation due to it being French half-term... does anyone have, or know of, any accommodation available from Friday 24- Tues 28 Feb 2017 - near Avenue de la Grande Mott.... or within a 20-30 minute walk.

Thanks in advance and apologies if this is the wrong thread for this type of post.... getting a bit desperate..

nb.. TB - this is top secret.... shshhh......
Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Bridgit Jones, Tricky one as you re spanning 2 weeks. Perhaps, if you could find accommodation in Tignes from Sat 25th you could stay in Bourg St Maurice on the Friday night and pop up early on the Sat morning (not sure hat your travel arrangements are, but there are lots of buses on Saturdays). Even then finding a short stay can be tricky, but the Lavachet Lodge do do short stays:
http://www.thetigneschaletcompany.com/prices_hostel_lavachet_lodge.html

Failing that try Mountainsun (Hotel Melezes) (they occasionally appear here) they can be very flexible, their hotel is in 1800 but there are inter resort buses until midnight.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
http://www.booking.com/searchresults.html?label=gen173nr-1FCAEoggJCAlhYSDNiBW5vcmVmaFCIAQGYATG4AQfIAQzYAQHoAQH4AQKoAgM;sid=054e18b54d1c1a6172b464f7ab9e185d;checkin_month=2&checkin_monthday=24&checkin_year=2017&checkout_month=2&checkout_monthday=28&checkout_year=2017&class_interval=1&dest_id=-1472874&dest_type=city&dtdisc=0&group_adults=2&group_children=0&hlrd=0&hyb_red=0&inac=0&is_flexible_with_dates=1&label_click=undef&nha_red=0&no_rooms=4&offset=0&postcard=0&redirected_from_city=0&redirected_from_landmark=0&redirected_from_region=0&review_score_group=empty&room1=A%2CA&sb_price_type=total&score_min=0&search_selected=1&src=index&src_elem=sb&ss=Tignes%2C%20Rh%C3%B4ne-Alps%2C%20France&ss_all=0&ss_raw=Tignes&ssb=empty&sshis=0&

Booking.com have a couple of options it seems
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Bridgit Jones, Try the Refuge:- http://www.refuge-tignes.com/uk.php
In le Lac, a few minutes by the free bus from Val Claret (or a healthy walk across the lake!).
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks peeps.... I will do some more research based on your advice.... fingers crossed... Smile
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just had a look at the weather for the next week - its going to be changeable and quite windy at times. The settled weather of the last few days will be displaced as the Jetstream heads south again and it is going to warm up quite a bit. Today will be the last nice day as tomorrow looks showery, nothing too heavy but the snowline will rise to around 2100m so expect some of the snow down in Les Brevieres to disappear and it may well look a bit slushy in the very lower parts of Val D'Isere. The wind picks up on Saturday and there should be a mix of snow showers and sunny periods. Hopefully the winds should not be too high to close all the lifts. As both the Funiculaire and Lanches are now open there shouldn't be the massive queues of last weekend. Sunday looks like a half reasonable day, still quite windy but there will be some sunny periods to enjoy.

It then goes downhill. The precise track of the depression is a little uncertain but Monday and Tuesday could be quite stormy, during the dark hours the snow will fall as low as Les Boisses but during the middle part of the day it may well rain to between 2200 and 2400m, I don't think this will rob the snow from the main villages upwards but it will feel quite unpleasant, the wind will also be a feature, the high lifts are likely to be closed and the slush lower down may well cause some icing on lift cables. Beyond that it is a mixed bag, but there should be plenty of snow from both Tignes and Val D'Isere for the Grand Opening of the area on Saturday 26 Nov.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@chocksaway, Are you ready for t'grand depart this weekend? No doubt laden to the gills with ferrets and Yorkshire Tea Bags wink

Getting really twitchy now about possibly doing a short trip before Xmas. I should really stop looking at Webcams! It's not good for the wallet Shocked Shocked. If it does turn a bit murky weatherwise next week it might be just enough to calm me down a bit.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@GeorgeVII, why not come to the PSB. 130 other snowheads going?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@speachmaus, Officially I only have 3 spare days of leave left before the year end. Plus we're already booked for the last two weeks of January. wink

None of the above has stopped me looking though wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@GeorgeVII, ha ha. There are some part timers going
snow report
Looks as if it's raining in Le Lac. Can anyone confirm?
snow conditions
Mark1863 wrote:
Looks as if it's raining in Le Lac. Can anyone confirm?
If it has rained, it hasn't harmed the snow.
ski holidays

La Daille looking excellent for mid Nov.
ski holidays
Just had a quick look at the webcams. Looks like some fresh snow again with a top up from the cannons.

Trolles is being pisted. Lanches chair up and running servicing Double M in Val Claret.

Might be a bit premature but it's looking likely that the Val d'Isere links should be ready when the area opens up. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
Cancelled Beaver Creek races in Val d'Isere 2 - 4th Dec on OK. We will watch the super g on 2nd

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sat 19-11-16 16:13; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@holidayloverxx, I think I read somewhere that the Lake Louise races had also been cancelled. rolling eyes
ski holidays
@holidayloverxx, OK/Orange will be a treat after the races if they "water" it Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
@GeorgeVII, My cruise departs from The European City of Culture on Monday. Spent yesterday digging up parsnips, just the ferrets to round up and we're off!

There was a bit more snow overnight, and the Tichot Lift has now opened in Val Claret and Bollin for the beginners but just over the weekend. The forecast is a little complex, but it is going to warm up a bit as the Jetstream seems to want to do a loop round Gibraltar instead of coming straight across the Atlantic. The wind is going to be a big feature next week. Sunday will be fine with a thin veil of cloud at height, and the wind will become a stiff breeze in the afternoon. Monday will see light showers with a snowline down around 2100m so expect conditions to deteriorate in the lowest parts of the 2 resorts, the wind will also rise to levels that may close the higher lifts (another good reason to open Tichot). Tuesday will be cloudy and a bit warmer with a frezzing level at 2600m and strong winds again (for my arrival). Showers and sunny periods are the order of the day on Wednesday with a snowline around 2700m in the morning and dropping quickly to 2000m, as its only showers it shouldn't steal much of the snow. Thursday will be very windy and the precipitation will be continuous, the snowline may reach 2300m for a short period but then will rapidly drop to 1600m, so all in all that will be a good thing for the resorts! Its then a little far out to be precise but lets agree on showery and getting much colder, just like winter really!
ski holidays
Holidayloverxx I saw that too. Lack of snow in North America Shocked. I can't make the 16th so am now thinking of going back out to watch on the 2nd.

The bash is going to be a real snow and possibly powderfest!!
ski holidays
@bar shaker, let me know when you confirm your dates. we travel back on the afternoon of 3rd
snow report
@chocksaway, Have a good trip see you Tuesday

Interesting morning, a little blowy but lots & lots of great snow and no queues. I was rather surprised that the cable car was running so my friend & I set off with a few laps around 3500 which was in the lee of the mountain so very little wind. Then a full descent from the top of 3500 to Val Claret with only a couple of stops to 'rest' the legs. Double M is in such a good condition, soft snow & no rocks. A return by the warm funicular rather than the Launches/Vanoise lifts & more of the same.

The forecast for the next couple of days is not great due to the forecast storm & high winds but hopefully the new snow will make up for late openings/closures.
ski holidays
Got chased off the hill today when the wind picked up and they wanted to close all the high lifts.

On the drive up I spotted that there is a new supermarket in Aime that had fuel a fair bit cheaper than Albertville.
latest report
Grey murky day today with not much happening except high winds. A few snow showers & a few rain squalls but not much else.

The funicular, Bollin & Techot were open and we more than adequate for the number of people in resort.

Hopefully tomorrow will be better Puzzled
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.

If Carlsberg did weekend snow forecasts...

1 metre of snow on Thurs and Friday!!

Very excited snowHead
snow conditions
rjs wrote:
Got chased off the hill today when the wind picked up and they wanted to close all the high lifts.

On the drive up I spotted that there is a new supermarket in Aime that had fuel a fair bit cheaper than Albertville.

There is a new Decathalon there too. They have a good stock of skiing stuff, perfect for kids etc.
ski holidays
Getting in to Tignes at about 8pm on December 1st, can anyone recommend somewhere that could do a wax and edges? Ideally before I ski, but that'll be 10am the next day so doubtful!
ski holidays
If you are in le lavachet then tignes spirit do a great job at a decent price, normally have to leave them there overnight, so drop them off at end of your first day, then pick 'em up next morning (handy for ski bus stop too!)

https://www.tignes-spirit-rentals.com/
snow report
Today was much better than I expected. Yes the wind was still blowing a bit but it had calmed down enough to run some of the lifts on the glacier, Lanches, Vanoise & Tichot so lots of area to ski. For the number of people here this week that is more than adequate.

It lad snowed about 10cm up high but the village is still getting sleet/rain Sad

Again not sure what is going to happen tomorrow? One forecast says the odd sunny spell the other says high winds and snow so I think it will be a day of JLOTFW rolling eyes
ski holidays
@stewart woodward, wrote
so I think it will be a day of JLOTFW

Took me a little while
Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
'Just Looking Out The French Windows Puzzled'

Er....?????
snow conditions
"Just Look Out The F*****g Window" wink

Looks like it all went a bit mild and melty today, fingers crossed for a return to the cold and snow soon.
snow report
mountainaddict wrote:
'Just Look Out of The French Windows Puzzled'

Currently sleety rain Sad
ski holidays
snowornever wrote:
If you are in le lavachet then tignes spirit do a great job at a decent price, normally have to leave them there overnight, so drop them off at end of your first day, then pick 'em up next morning (handy for ski bus stop too!)

https://www.tignes-spirit-rentals.com/

Legend, thank you!
snow conditions
Hi All. I'm out in les brevieres the 9th Dec to 14th, maybe they'll be a few straggling snowheads snowHead still out from the bash to meet up with

From a search I see the money conscious beginners in our group will be happy with the pitots free lift (if the rain to snow line comes down)
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1897052

Can anyone tell me if the les brev to les boisses lift is free for beginners, walking on with skis in hand? Which would open up the le lac free lifts too.

Also if this great snow continues I might be tempted to join a guided group for some off piste, any recommendations?
snow conditions

I think this could be just about the best forecast I have ever seen snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy