Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and The Espace Killy 2016/17 (Useful links in Post 1).

Poster: A snowHead
Mark1863 wrote:
Looks miserable in resort. Obviously quite a bit of wind as it is scouring the top of Toviere. Note the piste bashers are lined up by the Tichot lift in VC
Great snow on the glacier (although perhaps a little too bountiful if you were running gates), although the light was very flat during the morning, and got worse as the weather came in during the day.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Mark1863, Meteo France are predicting 30cm tomorrow and Friday at resort level Shocked That's a base!

I'm not back out until the 26th. I'm not on the bash but will catch up with you all for a beer at Tao/Alpaka, probably on Sunday night.

My pass arrived on Monday. Winter has arrived snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Double M due to open tomorrow according to the tignes FB page. Hopefully a few more runs will be opened by the time I arrive on the 17th Smile
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mountain closed today due to bad weather.. Struggling out to the pub in resort is even challenging today!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
And I think its going to get worse rather than better later today into tomorrow......
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Could someone arrange for it to stop around 19 Jan please ? Loving looking at the horrid weather on the webcams.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
HoneyBunny wrote:
Lovely to see everything properly white again for the first time this season. Beautiful! Even if it won't last...

I still think it will last wink
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
worse is good chocks.....................well for those of us not out there till Xmas!!! LOL
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
On Tignes facebook page some pics and videos. Two videos from Lac this morning give good idea of snow amount then. About a foot.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
And it has kept snowing! The Resort website is awash with avalanche warnings, the requirements for snow chains or winter tyres and pictures of snow up to 60cm deep with about another 30 or 40cm to come before this current storm blows through. I wonder if the Poubelle Monitor is even visible (or has the human element of the system escaped from the pub!).

And now for the forecast, the snow will continue through tomorrow, although there may be the odd hint of sunshine around the edge of a cloud late in the afternoon. However, the winds will still be strong, so it may be another day of closed lifts up on the Grand Motte. Saturday will be a much more benign day as the winds ease, however, the pisteurs may require the odd hour to make things safe up there. Sunday through to Wednesday look like good days for skiing, a mix of sunny spells and cloudy periods. The temperatures will climb a little (thanks to the Azores High building) but the freezing level will rarely go above the main villages so I expect most of the snow that has fallen above to remain, although it may get a bit slushy in any sun in the lower reaches of Val D'Isere and Tignes Les Boisses and below. From Thursday onwards the Jetstream appears to be heading south again bringing a more unsettled period with snow showers and cooler temperatures.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Amazing pictures on Tignes Spirit's Twitter and Instagram! I can't remember the last time I saw this much snow so early in the season. The EK is a proper winter wonderland. I wish I could be there enjoying some November skiing, anyone there or going soon is so lucky. Hope it lasts for the PSB. Please post some pics if you can @chocksaway. When Double M opens it'll be amazing! Is it still tomorrow I wonder?

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Fri 11-11-16 0:18; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stewart woodward wrote:
HoneyBunny wrote:
Lovely to see everything properly white again for the first time this season. Beautiful! Even if it won't last...

I still think it will last wink

I think you might be right! Bloody snowy weather sticking two fingers up at me Very Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I hope this is the start of a great season, but I remember taking this in early Nov 2013 down at Les Boisses and it dumped all day to double the amount of snow. But that all melted later on in November.

snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@kitenski, So do I! Although I can't see anything in the forecast that would suggest a big melt. Just been chatting with people in resort, they have done many early seasons and haven't seen this much snow this ealry for a while. They are comparing snow depths to last January.

On the other hand today will be one for the bars - the glacier is shut for the day due to high winds; however, the Vanoise chairlift is due to open tomorrow (from Skiplan) which will reduce the queues up there as I suspect there will be a mad dash from the cities for the first ski of the year for a lot of weekenders. It looks like they are also doing some prep on Lanches chair on the webcam (its about the only thing I can see on the webcam today!!),. I think excitement is now officially warranted Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Lifts closed again... Sad
ski holidays
@JamesHJ, Get your skins out!
ski holidays
@JamesHJ, nip over to Courchevel Wink Free lifts today!

A special free preview day in Courchevel will happen this Friday 11 Nov 2016 from 09:30 to 15:00 with the Verdons and Biollay lifts open - possibly more depending on snow / weather.
Free parking, free ESF ski tips and free snacks served on the piste from 3pm
ski holidays
chocksaway wrote:
@kitenski, So do I! Although I can't see anything in the forecast that would suggest a big melt.

The printed forecast suggests that the freezing level will be going up to 3000m.
snow conditions
@rjs, Which one and when, UK Expert online suggesting up to 2400m, Meteo France local forecast showing no higher than 2300m over the next 10 days and some very cold nights to help refreeze. Hold the faith!
snow conditions
Remember the 24hr rule (of thumb for Tignes weather forecasts). snowHead
snow conditions
Check out this pic from radio Val d'Isere!! Shocked

..and from Tignes Spirit!

Let it snoooooooooow:

https://www.facebook.com/ski.bonjour.uk/videos/1154586571301951/
ski holidays
chocksaway wrote:
@rjs, Which one and when, UK Expert online suggesting up to 2400m, Meteo France local forecast showing no higher than 2300m over the next 10 days and some very cold nights to help refreeze. Hold the faith!

The Meteo France forecast on a bit of paper in the Maison de Tignes and at the Funicular, suggests fl 3000m on Monday.
snow report
chocksaway wrote:
@JamesHJ, Get your skins out!

For my slalom skis? Very Happy

Some folk we know went down to Brevieres and skinned up a bit today. Quite hard going apparently, and they came down in their own tracks.
snow report
@rjs, Mmmm, Meteo France site saying lower than that, perhaps the elves in the Bourg Office know better!

@JamesHJ, An oft heard phrase in my former employment was "Man Up" wink
ski holidays
Wow pics look good this morning. You can see why they use snow fencing at the top now. Very effective.
snow report
I know that Double M was scheduled to be opened yesterday. Any talk of more lifts/runs being opened?
snow report
Ski Club forecast is showing a further half meter next Sunday in Tignes. snowHead
latest report
Every punter in western Europe arrived this morning! Queues worth 4 or 5 trains at the bottom, and the parking is full down to about the lake edge... Will post a photo later on so you can all see why they are here!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@JamesHJ, Are they running the double M chair or just funicular??
ski holidays
Looks like the pisteurs needed more than the odd hour to get things going. Currently (1215 CET) the Funi is open serving Double M, Face and Dahu, at least all those people in the queue will get 932m of vertical skiing.

I suspect there will not be many more lift openings until the Grand Opening 2 weeks today because of staffing issues.
snow report
kitenski wrote:
@JamesHJ, Are they running the double M chair or just funicular??

Funicular, double M chair, the one to the right of that (viewed from le lac), maybe others...
snow conditions
Actually scratch that... nothing moving now (including the funicular queue). Maybe they stopped for lunch?? The wife has been over there for >1.5 hours and not managed to get up anything. She is off to ask for a refund...
latest report
Quote: "It's a gang bang!"

Tignes Facebook page is quite amusing right now...
snow report
ski holidays
JamesHJ wrote:
Actually scratch that... nothing moving now (including the funicular queue). Maybe they stopped for lunch?? The wife has been over there for >1.5 hours and not managed to get up anything. She is off to ask for a refund...

yeah unexpected winter weather has shut the lifts !

snow report
The queue was the normal size at 8:30 but the funicular didn't open until 9:00, think I was on the third one up. By the time I got back down the queue for the ticket office stretched to the bus stop and the queue for the funicular was nearly the size it is in the picture above. I got back up to the Panoramique at 11:30, picked up my backpack and went back to the apartment.

There were still people on Double M at 16:00 so they may have kept the funicular running longer than planned.
latest report
A couple of photos appeared on Tignes FB page this evening. They described the glacier as being in "a post apocalyptic state" after the previous evenings' storm. (Winds gusting up to 250 kph). Wind loaded snow that looks about 10 feet deep in one picture.

https://www.facebook.com/Tignes.net/photos/pcb.1425599817467706/1425631947464493/?type=3
snow conditions
Takes a bit to put me off skiing at Tignes - but the queuing & crowding situation sounds horrific.... Confused
snow report
Does anyone know when the links to Val are likely to be opened? Would it be the n the 26th when Tignes opens? I know it will be dependent on the the conditions holding out, but it must be looking good with that much snow!
snow conditions
Today was really quiet, walked straight into the funicular at 8:45, people probably stayed away after yesterday. Rosolin and Champagny were pisted, Glacier wasn't.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy