Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2016/17 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Tatman's Tours wrote:
@maggi, P.S. If you're male, that is!

No but OH is! Smile
Glorious day today. Hecherhutte for lunch. Thought it would be quiet but it's packed!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Never been to Saalbach or Hinterglemm before so need the heads up on some things please...

Are there heated boot/ski lockers at the Reiterkogelbahn in Hinterglemm like in most Austrian resorts these days?

If not there then where?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Hansi's best price seemed decent prices for things but limited range.

If Hansi hasn't got what you want, he may send you off to Ski-Pro (opposite Hotel Eva), where his girlfriend, Elena, works. You may get 10% discount if you ask nicely and say that you're a good customer of Hansi.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@maggi, I had lunch there today too - think it was packed with weekenders (as well as at least a couple of Snowheads Smile )
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Of all the bars in all the world .... Cool
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Off to Saalbach - Hinterglemm on Wednesday evening for a short trip with 5 others! Can't wait! Conditions look really good!!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi all, just a quick question. In Zell now and hoping to head over to Saalbach tomorrow. Is piste 68 to Viehhofen open?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@build_a_rocket, 68 was open today.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Did it today and it should be okay for a while. There was one slightly rough patch towards the top, but it was in the afternoon and I would assume that the groomers will repair it easily tonight. However it is now noticeably milder so I don't know how long the piste will last and just hope that my optimism is justified. As I mentioned in an earlier post the lift company stopped snow-making on it a couple of years ago at the behest of the environmentalists, who had expressed concern that the water for the snow cannons was being taken from a natural source.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Arriving Thursday for 4 days... yipee

Some advice on packing. I havnt been skiing in January ages, last time i was bloody frozen in Schladming ! However last Feb in saalbach was grand.

Hows it shaping up weather wise.?Thinking of using a softshell and leaving bulky old ski jacket at home... rely on my layers and good gloves

Just carry on luggage so have to be selective

Thanks
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@landers, Although the forecasted trend is for milder temperatures, today was cold at times e.g. as we returned from Leogang - before we got back into the sunshine. I wouldn't want to rely on a shell jacket - on the other hand I generally wear only a tee-shirt under my Killy ski jacket. If it were me, I'd want to have a good jacket in January and would wear it on the journey.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thought as much Tatman. I'll wear it on the journey, along with my helmet which scares the nervous fliers !

Didn't head over to leogang at all last year so that and the chicken man are definitely on the to do list.

Left things late this year so we are staying in hinterglemm but will probable make over way over yourside of the circus especially for afternoon apres !!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Anyone around for a bit of a Shuffle around the slopes this week?
I'm enjoying myself in Zell but I have the "Big Pass" and I'm itching to have a look at Leogang again...
It has been twenty years since last visit.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@DrLawn, you're skiing again! Yayyy!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi all, a quick question. Where to start for a very very beginner skier (my girlfriend) ? Have been today at turm 6er lift - nice slope, but at the beginning a little bit to steep. Please offer any great nursery slope.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Mon 23-01-17 21:16; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Hi Hurtle!
Yes I am, with a lot of trepidation I went out on the slopes yesterday.
I've got an enormousness knee brace on and the "Mo-Jos".
I've joined my wife in lessons for the last couple of days andd to tell you the truth I'm worn out tonight,
My misses is going to have a day off due to "Jagger Tea" sickness.
I'm just about to go and ask the hotel if they have a "hot water bottle",
I've just been told "No dont make a fuss!"
Fabulous Hotel Though "Two Timez" big suite very modern.
Thanks for the support Hurtle.
snow report
@Nitro, The top of the Bernkogel chair down to the base of the chair is good. The rest of the piste is good too, but gets steep for the last hundred metres or so before the Bernkogel base station.

If you want to head over to Hinterglemm the U-bahn run is wide and gentle (a few T-bars, you don't have to go all the way up the u-barn gondola). The run next to the Bergfriedlift seems very beginner friendly too and usually not very busy.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 24-01-17 10:23; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@Nitro, Agree with hammerite - the top of the Bernkogel is as gentle as it gets, although the Turmwiese is a pretty good nursery slope.
ski holidays
The Bergfriedlift run is pretty good and quiet, except for the last 50 metres. You can keep to the right and avoid the worst of the slope, but unless you knew that you could find yourself on a steep slope without much warning. In Hinterglemm, the ski schools use the lower slopes under the U-bahn served by the T bars, and then graduate to the top half of the Zwolferkogel with long loops to bypass the slightly steeper parts. Once your girlfriend is confident enough to cope with the beginner slopes, take her up there and then follow a low-level ski school class at a discrete distance to get the idea of which routes to take - essentially, off the top keep high and go around the shoulder of the hill to bypass the first steeper section, then keep right all the way down.
ski holidays
Hi there.

Where's best to get skis tuned in Hinterglemm? Do any shops have standout service / equipment, or are they all much of a muchness?

Thanks
snow report
Hi Experts, I'm thinking of taking the train tomorrow to Leogang and getting into the area from that direction.
Which lifts should I walk to?
The West End (Bike Park) or the East End (Go Kart Track)?

Its a very long time since I was last there and I think there was just one gondola up then.
ski holidays
@DrLawn, it's a long walk from Leogang station to either of the lifts in Leogang, although there is a bus service. Should you choose to do this, the closest gondola is the Steinbergbahn.

If you're in Zell and want to ski Leogang, then take the Postbus towards Saalbach and get off at Schönleitenbahn. From there you can ski over to Leogang in less than 20 minutes. This will be quicker than taking the train to Leogang, there are hourly busses between Zell and Saalbach whereas the trains to Leogang are very infrequent and you can finish the day by skiing to Saalbach for the bus home to Zell.
latest report
Hi @quinton Thanks for the info, but I'm still going to take the train though.
They run every hour at 45 past the hour and return 56 past each hour.
It only takes 18 mins ... but the real reason I want to take the train is ...
Deep down, I'm a bit of a train spotter, the Doctor Zhivago type of the ride through the snowy countryside will feel like magic.

But thanks for the good alternative advice, Vorderglemm if we make it that far has a special meaning for me too, perhaps Friday?
latest report
Landing in Saalbach on Saturday for the week, how are snow conditions at the moment?

Used to be a regular in Saalbach for a few years but this trip will be the first time in 3 years since I've been back so I'm looking forward to the my return!
latest report
@Doradelite, Having just skied over to Leogang for lunch at the Chicken Man, it gives me great pleasure to report that the piste conditions are absolutely superb.
ski holidays
Excellent! Sunday's plan is a cruise about the pistes from first lifts, then hitting the Bergeralm for some of happy hour followed by a pitstop in the Hinterhag to finish the evening Toofy Grin

I'm hoping for some snow later in the week but it's not looking likely at the moment. I'm keen to get some off piste over in Fiebebrunn at some point during the week.
snow conditions
DrLawn wrote:
Hi @quinton Thanks for the info, but I'm still going to take the train though.
They run every hour at 45 past the hour and return 56 past each hour.
It only takes 18 mins ... but the real reason I want to take the train is ...
Deep down, I'm a bit of a train spotter, the Doctor Zhivago type of the ride through the snowy countryside will feel like magic.

But thanks for the good alternative advice, Vorderglemm if we make it that far has a special meaning for me too, perhaps Friday?

If you are in Zell and really like trains you should look at a trip on the Steam train run by Pinzgaur LokalBahn

http://www.pinzgauer-lokalbahn.info/

We usually take a trip up the valley with the kids when we are there at Christmas and it really is very special.
snow report
Thanks @mbeaney I could see there was a lot of older rolling stock down the road at Shuttdorf.
I'm pretty sure it had Pinzgaur on the side.

If I have time I'll look into it.
Only one day left now Sad

All the rail plans went out the window today as the Misses through a sickie Sad
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We're thinking of driving over from Waidring to Leogang (Asitzbahn) for a day's skiing.
So I had a couple of questions.
I fancied heading over to the Wilderkarkogel. My OH is a nervous intermediate, is there anything tricky in either direction?
My other request is for lunch recommendations.

Thanks in advance.
snow conditions
@Drammeister, No, nothing particularly tricky. On the way back she may find the first bit of piste 81 (red) a little daunting, depending on the conditions, but easier alternatives can be found by traversing left or right.
As for lunch, if you ski down (easy and delightful) blue piste 68 from the top of the Polten lift, you could have lunch at the characterful Hecherhuette - best gulasch soup and steaks in the area, and beautiful views. The ski bus from the bottom takes you back to the Schoenleitenbahn in 10 minutes, and then you're up to the Wildenkarkogel. The bus leaves at 10 past, half past and 10 to the hour, and it takes a competent skier about 10 minutes to ski from the Hecherhuette to the bottom, so you could time your departure from the Hecherhuette for say 15 or 20 mins before the next bus. The entire descent of piste 68, which is 7km long, takes about 20 mins, skiing at a moderate speed and stopping for a rest occasionally.
Otherwise the recommended restaurants would be the Bergeralm (on Kohlmais - piste 66), and the three by the top stations of the Leogang gondolas - the Hendl Fischerei, the Asitzbraeu and the Alte Schmiede. (You will be particularly impressed by the Hendl Fischerei - known to many of us as the "Chicken Man").
Some of the best skiing is actually at Leogang, especially piste 92/93.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Thu 26-01-17 22:12; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Thanks Tatman

As 81 is on the way back I think we'll be fine. And thanks for the lunch tips.
snow conditions
eversolazy wrote:
Hi there.

Where's best to get skis tuned in Hinterglemm? Do any shops have standout service / equipment, or are they all much of a muchness?

Thanks

Hagleitners would be where I'd go.
snow report
Saalbach here I come, jäger for hip flask purchased and now enjoying a glass of fizz at Gatwick. Conditions look great can't understand all the doom and gloom that seems to be out there, albeit from other resorts in the alps
ski holidays
Thanks PeteMan
snow report
Tatman's Tours wrote:
@Drammeister, No, nothing particularly tricky. On the way back she may find the first bit of piste 81 (red) a little daunting, depending on the conditions, but easier alternatives can be found by traversing left or right.
As for lunch, if you ski down (easy and delightful) blue piste 68 from the top of the Polten lift, you could have lunch at the characterful Hecherhuette - best gulasch soup and steaks in the area, and beautiful views. The ski bus from the bottom takes you back to the Schoenleitenbahn in 10 minutes, and then you're up to the Wildenkarkogel. The bus leaves at 10 past, half past and 10 to the hour, and it takes a competent skier about 10 minutes to ski from the Hecherhuette to the bottom, so you could time your departure from the Hecherhuette for say 15 or 20 mins before the next bus. The entire descent of piste 68, which is 7km long, takes about 20 mins, skiing at a moderate speed and stopping for a rest occasionally.
Otherwise the recommended restaurants would be the Bergeralm (on Kohlmais - piste 66), and the three by the top stations of the Leogang gondolas - the Hendl Fischerei, the Asitzbraeu and the Alte Schmiede. (You will be particularly impressed by the Hendl Fischerei - known to many of us as the "Chicken Man").
Some of the best skiing is actually at Leogang, especially piste 92/93.

Looking at your Facebook page you always seem to lunch at the Chicken Man.

Yes the small bowl between Saalbach and Leogang also good - east facing so better snow than many of the south facing Saalbach slopes.. and so quiet even when I skied there in half term 2 years ago
snow conditions
Doing exactly the same thing except I'm in Muscat international! Pit-stop in Munich tonight then off to Saalbach 1st thing tomorrow. Also agree ref the conditions. Although I have noticed a few more runs closed over the last few days?! Enjoy Smile

ribblevalleyblue wrote:
Saalbach here I come, jäger for hip flask purchased and now enjoying a glass of fizz at Gatwick. Conditions look great can't understand all the doom and gloom that seems to be out there, albeit from other resorts in the alps
ski holidays
One more day and counting, I'm with a small group for the week but I happen to have some snowheads stickers on my skis so if you spot me on a lift, say hi Very Happy
snow report
Managed 3 hours on the slopes yesterday, went up the kohlmais lift, headed over to leogang, got a Brucie bonus as at 2pm as there was chicken left at the chicken man, also had their homemade lemonade for the first time. God I love that place. Pistes were brilliant all the way there and back to Burgi's bar (where I also love ) but too many Jagers were consumed!
snow conditions
I was doing some planning and looked at an old thread (2013) which said run 14 was fearsome. I looked where it was on piste map and its a mainly a red run. Has the run been changed? Puzzled What run now has the crown as most difficult? Skullie
snow report
Quote:

got a Brucie bonus as at 2pm as there was chicken left at the chicken man

You were lucky! A group I was with booked a table for 1.30pm last week, only to find that all the chicken had flown the coop. The answer is to reserve both a table and a chicken.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy