Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Elegance

Poster: A snowHead
Back in the day, skiing attractively was something to aspire to. Skiing elegantly was noticed. How important is it today?

It seems to me there are now plenty of technically competent skiers, but many seem to lack distinctiveness and style ? Some care about what they wear but seem to care less about how their skiing looks ?

Does technique now triumph over style ? Is elegant skiing still respectable ? Should we aspire to ski more distinctively ? What does an attractive style look like these days ?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Peter S wrote:
What does an attractive style look like these days ?

Telemark and tweeds I'd say:

Toofy Grin
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Alastair Pink, Very Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Peter S, I think it's still important. It's just a slightly different form of elegance from legs together wedelling. An excellent skier will almost always be elegant due to grace, efficiency and balance.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There are a whole bunch of styles that work, even a park rat making minimum effort coasting in the back seat back to the lift can be elegant if you define elegance as a distinct style and maximum control for minimum effort. To me elegance is probably what BASI etc call flow - moving effortlessly and efficiently. That probably means gate skiing can't be elegant as the skier is forcing into turns. Technically admirable - sure. I too don't equate elegance with bum clenched Arlberg technique - too forced and artificial looking.

Can't find it but there was quite a good interski video showing individual country styles. I remember the Japanese and Koreans looked too overly stylised to be elegant and the Austrians too perfectly drilled I.e. they just looked like they were trying too hard.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Can't find it but there was quite a good interski video showing individual country styles. I remember the Japanese and Koreans looked too overly stylised to be elegant and the Austrians too perfectly drilled I.e. they just looked like they were trying too hard.

Either of these?

http://youtube.com/v/7rtzwqDeSGg

http://youtube.com/watch?t=2&v=9FV7_UcBUPw

(Originally posted by skimottaret: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2768427)

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Wed 27-07-16 22:30; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'd love to be an 'elegant' skier - I think I'm still a fair way off it though unfortunately Smile

I think it depends on the type of skiing you are doing too. On an easy/more relaxed day I think it's easier to appear elegant to observers, compared to a time you might be 'attacking' the slope more or working a bit harder, as @Dave of the Marmottes said:
Quote:

That probably means gate skiing can't be elegant as the skier is forcing into turns.

I know my stance changes when I move from relaxed skiing to a faster and more aggressive (hopefully more dynamic) approach - I go forward and lower. I know I feel more elegant when I'm more upright and naturally stacked, and just gently moving with gravity. That could just be years of horse-riding though...

I do love watching really good telemarkers though - there are quite a few around Chamonix, and watching the really good guys, including off piste, is just beautiful - definitely what I would call elegant!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
^ first vid is the one I was thinking of -I think the Swiss and Canadian are the most elegant because they are in the words of the guy, the loosest. YMMV.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
what's the name of the Canadian guy? JF Beaulieu? Just watch his videos. The definition of modern skiing elegance.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
just one example

http://youtube.com/v/ga-KExNFDNQ
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The Canadian guy looks good. His feet are tidy with not too much gap. He looks elegant, stylish and yes modern to me . snowHead
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
fixx wrote:
I do love watching really good telemarkers

Having myself complete made dogs dinners of the scrappy moguls at Hemel last weekend, I was amazed to watch a woman elegantly telemarking her way through them! Shocked
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@motyl, It's rare for a woman not to be elegant, at anything us lumpen males profess to be proficient at, but I have to say that they do make it look so easy. . . I don't know . . . muscle ratios, lever lengths, gender posture . . . I wonder if it may just be that when Tele began us blokes were a dam sight lighter than most of us tend to be now and whilst we have more mass we have not the control of it. Whereas our life companions have not gained the same amount of handicap and are simply better at controlling their body movement.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

It's rare for a woman not to be elegant, at anything us lumpen males profess to be proficient at

Would that that were true, @Masque. wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
motyl wrote:
fixx wrote:
I do love watching really good telemarkers

Having myself complete made dogs dinners of the scrappy moguls at Hemel last weekend, I was amazed to watch a woman elegantly telemarking her way through them! Shocked

If only you'd been there yesterday afternoon you could have put your moguls skills to good use elegantly picking your way between all of the fallen over telemarkers on the slope.
snow conditions
@Tubaski, yes I was there and was very interested in watching them though I confess to enjoying their lunch break more Very Happy. You weren't one of them, were you?
@Masque, I'm with Pam W on this (disambiguation: I'm female) - but I love the rose tint of your goggles! Anyway I've seen the video posted elsewhere of you skiing telemark and it looked pretty elegant to me so I challenge your modesty Laughing
latest report
@motyl, No, not me, I was there later on and enjoyed their afternoon tea break.
snow report
NehNeh Watch me NehNeh
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy