Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 16/17 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
@nozawaonsen, @Jellybeans1000, Next week is a major week for UK families because of half term so i am sure there is a lot of focus on next week specifically rather than further out in FI .Is it possible to give some sort of general synopsis at this stage for French Savoie region , i.e are we likely to see some snow / sun will it be warm or cool or is next week still too far out to get a day by day breakdown for 11th Feb through to 18th Feb .Or maybe another question when would it be possible to give a reasonably accurate prediction for the whole of next week
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@gwatts10, don't forget us Northerners who will be out in force during WC 20th ...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@gwatts10, looks fairly quiet at present. Dry, sunny and slightly warmer than average.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

don't forget us Northerners who will be out in force during WC 20th ...

And us Welsh! X
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
nozawaonsen wrote:
@gwatts10, looks fairly quiet at present. Dry, sunny and slightly warmer than average.

And for the French southern alps?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
RetroBod wrote:
nozawaonsen wrote:

And for the French southern alps?

Similar. Sunny, dry and mild look likely.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
General weather question - at what point over the next few weeks does the warming effect of the sun (as well as > freezing temperatures) start to have an impact on snow quality and initiate the thaw / freeze cycle? And are above 0C temps less detrimental to the snowpack in the middle of winter than in spring? I hope I'm making sense here ... apologies if not.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@gwatts10 here's a general breakdown of the weather around the Alps, from 10-18 Feb.
10th Feb: Moderate Snow in the south, partly cloudy in the North.
11th Feb: Morning snow showers in much of the Southern Alps.
12th Feb: Partly Cloudy
13th Feb: Mostly Cloudy, isolated snow (at height) and rain showers
14th Feb: Cloudy in the south, clear in the north. Light snow in the south.
15th Feb: Light snow in morning in the south, cloud clearing across Alps in afternoon.
16th Feb: Partly Cloudy in the south, Clear in the north.
17th Feb: Mostly sunny across the Alps
18th Feb: Mostly Sunny across the Alps
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
franga wrote:
General weather question - at what point over the next few weeks does the warming effect of the sun (as well as > freezing temperatures) start to have an impact on snow quality and initiate the thaw / freeze cycle? And are above 0C temps less detrimental to the snowpack in the middle of winter than in spring? I hope I'm making sense here ... apologies if not.

Above 0c temps in Spring and winter have same effect, devastating the snowpack.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
franga wrote:

You also have to take into account the slope aspect and altitudes. North and NW facing slopes tend to get a bit less exposure. But around end of February and beginning of March is when solar radiation starts to impact the slopes.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Jellybeans1000, Thanks very much a nice bit of sunshine will do me lovely , wouldn't mind an overnight dump just to get the wintry feeling but sunny slopes with good vis will do.Thanks very much
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Bit worried about what a week of relative warmth and sunshine, coupled with HT crowds will do to the pistes for the following week. I gues by the week of 18th-24th (Les Arcs) things could start to get a bit worn again? Or has this last week done enough to bolster the base for longer?

I realise it's a bit early for whether or not there will be any top-ups during the week, but it looks fairly set for (most of) next week now.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

No not necessarily. If the humidity is low eg. 30% or less, say in a northerly airstream or a flow from central Europe, then temps can happily climb above zero with relatively little loss of snow cover. Saturated air is the enemy of snow because it does not allow the snow to sublimate and cool the snow pack. Instead it directly melts into liquid water without any cooling.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
And don't forget the wind, wind exacerbates the melting if the temps are above zero.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Bergfex is saying it's going to be really warm (9 degrees at 1300 m) in the Tyrol next week. I do hope not as we are in Ischgl. Can any experts shed any light as to what might be happening please
ski holidays
Zermatt update. Still snowing. That's pretty much continuous since Sunday morning. Runs have plenty of great snow right down to the village. Visibility pretty poor though currently as you might expect.
latest report
skribble wrote:
Bergfex is saying it's going to be really warm (9 degrees at 1300 m) in the Tyrol next week. I do hope not as we are in Ischgl. Can any experts shed any light as to what might be happening please

If it stays dry (as most forecasts suggest) I would have thought that this would mean some lovely (early) spring skiing ... we are off to the EK a week on Saturday and I'm not remotely worried about this scenario (we are piste skiers / boarders).
ski holidays
@franga, yes.
latest report
Any sign of snow in Saalbach in the foreseeable? A wee top up before I go out in early March would be nice
snow conditions
franga wrote:

Peak-Winter for the Northern Hemisphere is around Feb 12th (this Sunday).

After that date, the Alps begin hurtling away from Winter and toward Spring.

Trails around 200-1000m will start their melt next week.
snow conditions
@nozawaonsen, Does this mean I'm unlikely to need my shovel and bag of cat litter in Sallanches next week?
snow conditions
Peter S wrote:
Quote:

No not necessarily. If the humidity is low eg. 30% or less, say in a northerly airstream or a flow from central Europe, then temps can happily climb above zero with relatively little loss of snow cover. Saturated air is the enemy of snow because it does not allow the snow to sublimate and cool the snow pack. Instead it directly melts into liquid water without any cooling.

Fair.
snow conditions
@kb36, possibly some on the 20-22nd Feb period.
ski holidays
Looking at the forecasts it looks like next week is going to be sunny and warm(er). Ideal for half termers after a decent amount of fresh snow this week.
To the experts here, was this week's snow a game changer for off piste or does it just make it marginally better?
ski holidays
zinekar wrote:
Looking at the forecasts it looks like next week is going to be sunny and warm(er). Ideal for half termers after a decent amount of fresh snow this week.
To the experts here, was this week's snow a game changer for off piste or does it just make it marginally better?

Where are you talking about? Definitely not a game changer in Austria, it's all tracked out (the easily accessible stuff anyway) and we missed out on most of the snow that hit the Southern Alps. Every where icy as ****!! Pretty much has been since the 3rd week of January, stick to the pistes imo
snow report
@zinekar, Up here in the E-K it has made a big difference off piste above about 1800m as it has increased the Base Layer. Below that it is still very thin (report from a mate who skied down to Lac Du Chevril) on Tuesday. However, as it was warm when it arrived and has suffered from wind from virtually all directions any talk of a powder fest is overplayed! For that we need new snow on top of the established base.
ski holidays
Whitegold wrote:
franga wrote:

Peak-Winter for the Northern Hemisphere is around Feb 12th (this Sunday).

After that date, the Alps begin hurtling away from Winter and toward Spring.

Trails around 200-1000m will start their melt next week

Snow Grinch alert.... Laughing Laughing
snow report
Can I please have an update on the latest FI ??
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Anyone know what model J2SKI use for their forecasts ??
snow conditions
Quote:

GFS. From an old post on their website:

Quote:

one of the apparent GFS (Global Forecast System) model deficiencies - deviations in the model seem to be sometimes compounded with time-to-go; so the estimates of precipitation sometimes start out large (at 7 days) and fall progressively as the actual day approaches.

This effect seems to apply mostly to small snowfalls - the combination of our processing and the GFS model generally predicts the big dumps quite well, even from a week out.

We will be looking at this over the summer and looking at ways to minimise such deviations with our own post-processing of the raw GFS data.
snow conditions
@Chris Brookes 23-25th Feb looks like a nice parcel of moisture on GFS. Quite warm though.
snow report
olderscot wrote:
Quote:

GFS. From an old post on their website:

Quote:

one of the apparent GFS (Global Forecast System) model deficiencies - deviations in the model seem to be sometimes compounded with time-to-go; so the estimates of precipitation sometimes start out large (at 7 days) and fall progressively as the actual day approaches.

This effect seems to apply mostly to small snowfalls - the combination of our processing and the GFS model generally predicts the big dumps quite well, even from a week out.

We will be looking at this over the summer and looking at ways to minimise such deviations with our own post-processing of the raw GFS data.

I noticed this on J2ski website. 10 days out it's 52cm of snow then 27 then 12 then it ends up as 3-4 or nothing Mad Mad
snow report
@zinekar, Quick update, we had another 20cm last night in the E-K. So just had a fab day off piste, not champagne powder but great freshtracks.
ski holidays
Looks like warm weather and a Föhn in places for at least the next week or so. Damage limitation time.
snow conditions
@snowheads68, certainly looks warm, but any Föhn looks pretty limited.

http://www.meteocentrale.ch/en/weather/foehn-and-bise/foehn.html

Next week looks mild, sunny and dry.

snow report
Noza from whence derive your selection of vintage on point images??
snow conditions
@8611
Quote:

Noza from whence derive your selection of vintage on point images??

Not that tricky - just Google "Old Ski Photos" NehNeh

latest report
@8611, just hunting around the internet.

Piedmont and Aosta look best bets for snow in the short run otherwise dry and sunny out into the distance.

http://www.wxmaps.org/pix/prec4.html

Not snowy, but far from unpleasant.
snow report
Unpleasant? Let the sun shine. Ideal conditions for those of us who tend to stay in-between piste markers.
latest report
Yes. Nothing like an extra half hour lounging on a sun basked balcon. Even for me a massive snow headed snowHead. Mainly piste for me to. Partial to the odd dalliance in the powder but if it ain't coming next week it'll have to wait to next year.......
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy