Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 16/17 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Any reports/predictions for Austria (Ski Welt)?

Thanks
Kersh
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
skiandgolfnut wrote:
Been following these threads religiously in anticipation of a trip to Zermatt next month. Watching forecasts and radars, it seems like these storms weaken as they approach the Zermatt area in particular, and are failing to reach predicted levels. Is this a trend common with storms coming off the atlantic headed eastward?

yes and again the forecast fizzles.......I'm afraid Zermatt off piste is a zero this year - the upcoming storm has gotten downgraded as have all other storms this year excepting the big event in November....that does seem s a long time ago now. Next year maybe....pistes were handled remarkably well and I think holiday makers avoided disaster - off piste though.....worse than terrible, just nothing. More snow in, anywhere really.

Unlucky, maybe next year will even it all out though.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
where are all the updates ? where are all the forecasters ? whose every word has thousands of us desperately hoping to see the forecasts for our resort is for heavy overnight snow and sunny blue sky days . I know you maybe out enjoying yourselves in the snow but this thread has been lacking any updates for at least 8 hrs so can you please stop enjoying yourselves and return to this forum at once .
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@gwatts10 Haha I am not enjoying myself, I am in a heavy rainstorm in Melbourne Australia. NehNeh

It has been quite empty for last couple of days.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Here is my latest long range snow forecast for the Alps.
http://longrangesnowcenter.blogspot.com.au/2017/02/europe-on-long-term-5th-feb.html

Fixed up the HTML, so hope it is easier to read.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Heavy snow across the Pyrenees overnight and this morning with the freezing level delivering snow to around 1000m. A window of more settled weather right now followed by even heavier snow later today with the possibility of up to 50cm by tomorrow morning.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Jellybeans1000, sorry no offence meant but i reckon a rainstorm in melbourne is better than a damp dreary grey day in Suffolk and as you state there's not been a lot of posting and with the main UK school half term starting next Saturday there will be loads of people wanting every minutiae of every detail they can get in anticipation
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
By way of a trip weather report and also my observations on what was forecast and what happened. Not entirely on topic but hopefully of interest to some

If anyone is sufficiently bored to look back I commented and asked questions from about mid January on the outlook for the w/c 28th January for the Austrian Salzburgerland, specifically Zell am See at 47n13e.

From the outset the GFS ensembles showed a significant warm up occurring, initially just before and latterly over the weekend of 28/29 January. 850's were at or above the 30 year average from the Sunday onward and over the 10 days before they varied somewhat, decreasing as the time frame got closer. ECM moved similarly although seemed to try and keep it colder for longer.

We arrived lunchtime Saturday to -9c and it fell to -14c by bedtime. When we got up on Sunday it was -6c and 2c by lunchtime. an inversion was present until Friday lunchtime. Sunday and Monday were very pleasant skiing weather. Tuesday dawned with heavy rain right up to about 1650m which gradually turned to snow and descended right down to village level.

I suppose I am lucky in that was my first experience of rain in the Alps in deep winter. Interestingly it made the pistes fantastic to ski on, the only problem being that no-one has yet invented goggles with wipers and in heavy rain I found I needed to do a lot of lens wiping. We tried going up above the snow-line but the visibility was maybe 20 feet in huge wet heavy flakes and actually worse than the rain. Felt rather odd sitting absolutely drenched at lunchtime. Gave me horrible memories of Glenshee in the late 80's and early 90's

Got warmer still on Wednesday and was 13c at mid station of the Areit at lunchtime, horrible for a confirmed January skier. Wednesday and Thursday were hard work in the new snow which was like wet sand in places but there was plenty of it so no complaints here. Friday was bit cooler and hazy so lovely skiing.

All in all fine but sods law from my point of preference that I managed to pick the one mild week in the coldest Austrian January in 30 years. I arrived in deepest winter and left one week later in early spring

From a 'Weather Outlook' point of view the interesting thing is that what I experienced felt very much like what the GFS ensembles predicted from over 2 weeks previously. We are always saying that FI is just that, the merest indicator of trends but here it felt like last nights MetO after the news. By way of caveat I haven't compared the actual data. Maybe someone knows where you can get historical charts from approx 12th January onwards to compare them with the actuals from 28th January. Would be interesting to see them?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Zermatt update as of writing. Still heavy snow coming down in the village. Just retreated from Rothorn after a great lunch in fluhalp. 10cm on my skis after 11/2hours in the restaurant. 1 ft /25cm of powder on the red run Down. Seemingly a fair bit forecast for the rest of the week. Happy half term for those with school kids coming out snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
In Lech currently. We had a couple of centimetres last night and today it really started to chuck it down from about 1.00pm. About 5 cm so far and still going strong.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
About 5cm so far in the village in Wengen.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@robboj, this is the chart from 12 Jan for 28 Jan.

And then for 28 Jan on the day.

There are certainly strong similarities though the high pressure is a little further west in the 12 Jan forecast.

But no one is as far as I am aware suggesting that all outcomes in FI or at +384 are incorrect. Indeed they could be completely right. But the problem is they could also be completely wrong. For a forecast to have any relevance you need to have confidence in it. Otherwise it is just another possibility which given the complexity of weather could well be modeled completely differently in the next run or indeed (and more importantly) turnout completely different on the day. The fact that on occasion it does indeed turn out the same is largely irrelevant given the far greater frequency with which the outcome is completely different.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Extracts from SLF on Switzerland.

http://www.slf.ch/lawinenbulletin/schneedecke_wetter/index_EN

As a consequence of fresh snow and wind a critical avalanche situation will prevail

"Fresh snow

On Sunday in the northern Lower Valais, there was 10 to 15 cm of new fallen snow registered; in the remaining parts of the Valais, in the Vaud and Fribourg Alps and in Ticino, there was 5 to 10 cm of fresh fallen snow registered; in the other regions of Switzerland, only a few centimeters of new fallen snow.

Between Thursday and Sunday above approximately 2000m, the following amounts of fresh fallen snow were registered:

- Northern Valais from Trient into the Aletsch region, central sector of the northern flank of the Alps, Val Bregaglia and the Bernina region: 30 to 50 cm;

- Northern flank of the Alps west of Lake Thun, remaining parts of Valais, Upper Engadine: 15 to 30 cm;

- In other regions of Switzerland, 5 to 15 cm over widespread areas.

Weather forecast through Monday, 6.2.2017

Skies are expected to be heavily overcast and in northern regions, snowfall is anticipated over widespread areas above approximately 600 m. During the afternoon, the snowfall will slacken off. In southern regions, the precipitation will come to an end during the course of the day and it will become partly sunny under the influence of the northerly foehn winds.

Fresh snow

_ On the northern flank of the Alps, in western Lower Valais: 15 to 30 cm;

- On the northern Alpine Ridge from the Trient region into the Aletsch region, as much as 40 cm;

- Remaining parts of the Valais, northern and central Grisons: 10 to 20 cm;

- In other regions of Switzerland: 5 to 10 cm."
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just walked home from the pub and am happy to report that this can now be considered as a season altering snowfall, here in the PDS at least. It's been absolutely chucking it down at the same impressive, incessant, continuous rate for nearing 24 hours.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@nozawaonsen, many thanks and rest assured no criticism at all from me on your excellent input here. I understand what you say about the probabilities of FI completely and think it will give me a better understanding going forward and is hopefully helpful to others.

To clarify my thoughts were more a reflection of how my very limited knowledge of these matters has influenced my interpretation. I wasn't thinking about it clearly, probably as a combination of a dis-inclination to accept the approaching reality and a misguided, hope-casted dismissal of the obvious, simply because, on this occasion, the pattern that transpired had originated in FI. Lesson learned. Embarassed
latest report
Bergfex suggests high FLs (up to 3,000M) for the NW Alps from next Monday - @nozawaonsen, is this your view too?
snow conditions

GFS output @franga
ski holidays
This output is way out in FI land. It can (and will) change.

However... based on my entirely unscientific experience when we are talking about warming or cooling in FI, warm side always happen meanwhile cold outcome tends to be milder than predicted.
snow report
As is so often the case after a few days of storm driven snowfall we now have the payback of strong winds, that will close many top lifts across the French Alps I'd surmise (great start to the holidays) as well as create massive wind slabs off piste.

And actually 3 below 2,000 which I found out to my cost getting caught on Saturday and now off games for a while Sad
ski holidays
Nelbert75 wrote:
Just walked home from the pub and am happy to report that this can now be considered as a season altering snowfall, here in the PDS at least. It's been absolutely chucking it down at the same impressive, incessant, continuous rate for nearing 24 hours.

Not convinced it's a season changer just yet, but most welcomed!
ski holidays
Quote:

Weathercam
FreeRider

As is so often the case after a few days of storm driven snowfall we now have the payback of strong winds, that will close many top lifts across the French Alps I'd surmise (great start to the holidays) as well as create massive wind slabs off piste.

And actually 3 below 2,000 which I found out to my cost getting caught on Saturday and now off games for a while

Or maybe not, maybe it will be fantastic and most things will be open and everyone will be grateful for the snow.
snow conditions
Still snowing in Zermatt. Over 24 hours continuous. A lot of Avalanche blasting has been taking place. When all has settled even the triftti bumps could open.
snow report
Quote:

And actually 3 below 2,000 which I found out to my cost getting caught on Saturday and now off games for a while

@Weathercam,
do you mean you were caught in an avalanche and injured on Saturday????
snow conditions
BTW - Just been looking at weather and conditions before our drive on Thursday (planning on leaving Bucks around 3PM and driving right through to Les Contamines). Seems like Les C had 40cm over the weekend and has bits and bobs of snow on and off through the week to come but fortunately not Snowmageddon on Thursday night. Webcams of the nursery slopes in the village (1150m) show things looking delightfully snowy. Overall looking like a good half term week ahead but we could still do with a sustained dump to get snow levels up to seasonal averages and fill in the glaciers for the touring season.
ski holidays
Thanks@Jellybeans1000, still a long way out ...
ski holidays
jedster wrote:
Quote:

@Weathercam,
do you mean you were caught in an avalanche and injured on Saturday????

Yes, unfortunately, (but lucky to be only slightly crocked), all here http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=130216

@mheadbee, from where I live I can see how windy it is and the lifts closed, and Serre is low down as opposed to the likes of Tignes etc, and OH has just reported in, they've had enough, horrendous queues, welcome to the Frencg holidays folks rolling eyes
snow report
yikes!
snow report
Phase 7/8 MJO and possible split PV adds a chance for a colder mid-late February and into March.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Models throwing up all sorts of interesting options over the next few weeks.
Will the scandi high hold up, allowing cold air in from the NE, or will the azores high reach back into europe bringing dry mild conditions as the scandi high sinks or shifts W.
Also seems to be a theme for low pressure anomalies over Iberia. And even a possibility of freezing northerlies at the far end of FI.

I've read GFS in particular has a bias to return to atlantic westerlies in FI, and can underestimate the strength of scandi blocking. Another comment made was the Met Office rate JMA higher than GFS, but no mention of timeframe.
ski holidays
Crazy morning here in the central Pyrenees. The back end of Storm Marcel gave us another 40cm yesterday and overnight, but the storm force winds scraped the snow from some ridge-lines but also dumped tons of snow in the valleys and on the plateau leaving us 2 metre high snow drifts in places. Not too much damage but it took an age to get the resort open. More snow this afternoon and more scheduled for the next few days.

Current snow depths:

Luchon-Superbagneres: 110/140cm
Peyragudes: 140/200cm
Baqueira-Beret: 140/180cm

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
This doesn't look great. Hope it turns out wrong.

GFS seems to have a cold SE in FI.

snow report
Still more snow to come.

And generally colder temperatures for the coming week.

Skies clearing through the week, but temperatures rarely looking especially high and staying cold overnight.

Alpe d'Huez

Out in FI... Well it's been stormy. Or Dry. Cold. Or er warm. Jolly good.

Meanwhile...

http://youtube.com/v/IkUKFdacHvo
snow conditions
@nozawaonsen I like that meteogram. Shows a fair amount of info.
snow conditions
langball wrote:
Models throwing up all sorts of interesting options over the next few weeks.
Will the scandi high hold up, allowing cold air in from the NE, or will the azores high reach back into europe bringing dry mild conditions as the scandi high sinks or shifts W.
Also seems to be a theme for low pressure anomalies over Iberia. And even a possibility of freezing northerlies at the far end of FI.

I've read GFS in particular has a bias to return to atlantic westerlies in FI, and can underestimate the strength of scandi blocking. Another comment made was the Met Office rate JMA higher than GFS, but no mention of timeframe.

JMA isn't rated very well by most Weather folk. GFS has many bias, some are documented.
PM Sent.
ski holidays
I'd be slightly surprised if the Met Office rated JMA that highly. All models have different biases of course and the designers constantly tweak them over time.

This article is old (so done of the comments are outdated), but interesting on the subject.

http://m.accuweather.com/en/weather-blogs/weathermatrix/why-are-the-models-so-inaccurate/18097
snow conditions
Re. the JMA, relevant comment (johnholmes) is the 12th one down on this page, from a guy who apparently worked at the MO.

https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/87058-model-output-discussion-25th-jan-the-final-third-of-winter-beckons/?page=83#comment-3538777

Hoping for 20+cm today and tomorrow, lunch time ko, coming in from the W, with snowline dropping from 1400 to 1000m.
Mid term looks mild and dry (southerly foehn?). Further out lots of HLB, would love to see more models pick up on the GFS Para theme in FI, whereby heights build nearer to Greenland and the PV comes in over the top in to Scandi dropping northerlies into europe. Yep it's a fantasy.
ski holidays
I'm a bit confused about the options in FI - @langball's view doesn't quite tally with the chart that @snowheads68 has posted? Or am I being thick?
snow conditions
@franga, don't think anyone has set views on FI....there are endless possibilities as ever. FI is a very long period of time, say anything beyond D7-D10. On top of that, the chart above is ECM for 16th feb, while my comment referred to GFS (P) starting around the 19th (which is way too far away to be a view, just a nice option to look out for).
latest report
@langball, thank you.
snow report
@langball I am not well versed in the doings of the Met Office. But I know JMA is treated with caution (especially their ENSO forecasts).

I rely on EC for the accuracy, GFS for the massive data output and whatever chart is 'in' with the general weather community. As people say there are biases in different charts, which do better in certain season setups. It seems to be UKMO charts that are tracking the best at the moment... But when I can, I do look at all of the data I can. I do wish NBM (National Blend of Models) could become a reality for Global forecasts, but at least for now, we have to check all of the data...

Also be careful with GFS Para use in FI. It's experimental, so....
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy