Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 16/17 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Killington, Vermont, Northeast US, has been open a coupla weeks now. Opened on Oct 24, 2016, one of its earliest opening dates in the past 30 years. Getting blasted with snow...

snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
nozawaonsen wrote:
Pretty cold in the Alps for the time of year over the next week with more snowfall looking likely on 11 November.

After that it looks like warming up a bit with some further unsettled weather though hard at this stage to get much of a sense beyond that.

Looks like the Western Alps are about to get battered.

Perhaps as much as 5-10ft of snowfall in Chamonix above 1200-1500m in the next 3-10 days...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
10ft? lol what's that in old money bruv?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
7.5 to 15 cubits
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
red 27 wrote:
10ft? lol what's that in old money bruv?

I think you mean new money. That would be about 3 meters. snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Around half a meter fell at 2500 meters on the French Italian border, further west, not so much, around 20cm at the same altitude. Snow down to around 1000-1800m in the French Alps from N to S. For any storm chasers - risk of slabs at altitude in the Hautes-Alpes. It is not unusual to have avalanche fatalities at the start of the ski season. Two very experienced climbers were killed on the Italian side of Mont Blanc by an avalanche last week.

It also snowed in Paris - causing traffic chaos in the SE of the city this morning.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 7-11-16 10:11; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Over 3m of snow for Chamonix sounds a little unlikely to me, but who knows.

Here's SLF's roundup from yesterday.

http://www.slf.ch/lawinenbulletin/lawinengefahr/index_EN

"Onset of winter: heightened avalanche danger in high alpine regions

Between the onset of precipitation and Sunday afternoon above approximately 2200m the following amounts of fresh fallen snow were registered:

- Furthermost western part of Lower Valais, from Avers into the Bernina region: 30 to 50 cm; from place to place, more;

- Remaining sectors of the northern flank of the Alps, of the Lower Valais as well as of Grisons: 20 to 40 cm;

- Remaining regions of Switzerland: less than 20 cm.

Weather forecast through Tuesday

In showerlike bouts of precipitation, the following amounts of new fallen snow are anticipated above 1500 m by Tuesday evening:

- Northern flank of the Alps: 10 to 20 cm;

- In the eastern sector of the northern flank of the Alps as much as 30 cm;

- Valais, northern and central Grisons, Engadine: 5 to 10 cm;

Southern flank of the Alps: less.

Outlook

On Wednesday and on Thursday in northern regions, skies will frequently be heavily overcast and additional snowfall is anticipated. It will remain cold. In southern regions, it will be partly sunny in all likelihood. However, isolated showers are possible. The winds from west to northwest will be blowing intermittently at strong to storm strength."
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quick question on the ensembles, have they moved their webserver?

I used to use this URL for Tignes

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/wz/pics/MS_745_ens.png

Which now doesn't work, however this does work.

http://old.wetterzentrale.de/wz/pics/MS_745_ens.png

Also does anyone happen to know the lat/long for Ischgl to plug into the same link please?

Thanks!

Greg
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Whitegold, where/when is that pic from? The Killington webcams look very, very green so suspect it's old/out of date!!

http://www.killington.com/site/mountain/webcam/golf.html
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@kitenski: use this link for live GFS ensembles - http://www.ski-finder.co.uk/grab_gfs.php
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm in the eastern US at present and can confirm it's nothing like @whitegold's picture. Bit of snow on mt Washington but anything else is artificial.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@kitenski, change the numbers in the suffix to 1047, that will give you a rough estimation for Ischgl/Eastern Tirol.
If you want coordinates for another location tap it into google "Ischgl Coordinates".

I prefer meteociel -
Meteociel allows you to have a more accurate picture - re Ischgl - http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_display.php?ext=1&lat=47.01&lon=10.28

Each degree of longitude or latitude is equal to 69 miles east/west or north/south so being able to use decimal places gives a more accurate picture. Weather is notoriously different from valley to valley.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@AthersT, thanks, Meteociel looks good assuming I can just change the numbers in the resulting GIF, will have a play....
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nice powder tour day - good 30cms of fresh snow on grass at ~1500m, skinned up the same piste a bunch of other people used to ~2300, then skied down the opposite side by myself with no-one and no tracks around Very Happy

Photos later...
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@AthersT, I've just realised why I didn't use meteociel last year now!! The GIF you get from the page you linked to is date specific, so no "generic" URL like wetterzentrale.

IE from http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_display.php?ext=1&lat=47.01&lon=10.28

the actual image is date specific it seems ie http://modeles7.meteociel.fr/modeles/gens/runs/2016110712/graphe3_1000___10.28_47.01_.gif
snow report
@AthersT, how do you read the graph? What is it telling us? Instructions welcome please
snow report
Snow here in Paris this Morning.
snow report
@Bennyboy1, read this Smile http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=14852
snow report
Best webcam in the alps?? The last few hours on this cam are amazing! snowHead

Schmittenhohe (Zell am See) in the foreground, the lights of the Kitzsteinhorn (Kaprun) in the back left.

Plus it has an image for every ten minutes archived and easily accessible since August 2012.
http://www.foto-webcam.eu/webcam/zellamsee/#

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 7-11-16 20:14; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Courchevel opening on Friday: http://www.ledauphine.com/skichrono/2016/11/07/ouverture-des-stations-de-ski-vendredi-on-ouvre-a-courchevel

that's the good news, the bad news is the ski passes are free - so it will be the same bunfight and mega queues as last year.
latest report
@kitenski, thank you Very Happy
ski holidays
I'm heading to Schladming / Planai this weekend. About 4 pistes open... gonna get a little crowded Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Is it too much to get a bit excited and hope we might be in for a good season in the alps?

Early days I know, but I've got a big trip planned for late Jan / early Feb. I'm coming all the way from Australia so fingers crossed snowHead
snow conditions
@AthersT - wow what a webcam, that is absolutely stunning..

@raven, also keeping fingers crossed for our trip to Saalbach on xmas day..! Hoping this good start is a sign of things to come and the temps stay low so that it doesn't melt again..!

On that topic, would it make sense to actually bash the piste to compact the existing snow (guessing that could slow down the melting process)? or do they leave the bashing just before resorts open? Also, looks like the snow canons are going to get over a week of firing, how much difference is this likely to make ?
snow report
@p20pjd, With snow cannons and some bashing you can set up a pretty good base. Early last year 90% of pistes seemed to be open with green fields surrounding them snowHead

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1910027
ski holidays
A bit here on how it works: http://www.ultimate-ski.com/features/climate-snow-facts/the-art-of-snowmaking.aspx
snow conditions
@AthersT,

Stunning - Zell will always be a special place for me, learnt to snowboard there in 2000 and managed to break both wrists within a 24 hour window.

Very crispy and frosty morning in rural Cheshire this AM.
ski holidays
Meantime we're all doomed!
http://www.express.co.uk/news/science/729767/Ice-age-prediction-sun-hibernates-global-cooling-climate-change

Don't you just love the Express.
Last year it was predicting a Mega Winter, and look what we got . . . rolling eyes

And then there are the Siberian Snowballs:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3911076/Why-enormous-Siberian-snowballs-mean-America-brrracing-winter.html[/img]
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
They are piste bashing down to Sommerbergalm at Hintertux now. Wonder when they plan to open the lower mountain.
snow conditions
Went out for my lunch ride on my bike and it was snowing lightly at 650 meters on the mountains near Grenoble. I hate riding in the snow.
ski holidays
davidof, i was about to post that i love riding in the snow
then realised you were being a tiny bit naughty and just missed off the winking smiley at the end of your post
You nearly got me . . . . Madeye-Smiley
latest report
@AthersT It is a great webcam, as are all the others on there. I have been watching the Molltaler Glacier all summer, zooming in to find skiers/boarders. The night shots are fantastic. All shot with a Canon EOS1200D.
snow report
This from our good friends at weathertoski.etc

Quote:
...tomorrow onwards as a series of storms barrel in to (sic) the Alps from the north-west. These will deliver serious snow...

Snow conditions in the Alps are therefore impressive for early November and will get even better as the week goes on. We would even go so far as to say that, above 2000m, the base is (or soon will be) secure for the season in most (if not quite all) Alpine areas.

We can sleep easy now that the mythical 'base' is (or soon will be) safely established. snowHead
snow report
Snowing in the valleys today. Missus is panicking.
ski holidays
Zermatt paradise website showing a sprinkling of snow in the village till Saturday. Snow forecast predicting 57CM. I wonder who will be correct Toofy Grin Puzzled
ski holidays
Axamer Lizum was fun on Monday:

I'm told that Stubai has been good all week too.
ski holidays
@clarky999, nice, though you'll be getting told off soon for posting pics like that in this thread by people that don't appreciate them Toofy Grin

In the meantime seems like loads of the white stuff falling everywhere, well if everywhere is a pic sent to me from a mate in Chamonix and an email just now from La Grave and then looking at the cam in my garden Smile
snow conditions
Weathercam wrote:
In the meantime seems like loads of the white stuff falling everywhere,
Snowing pretty hard in the Tarentaise, with a snowline below Bourg St Maurice (lower than 800m). I'd post pictures but I'd get accused of pimping my apartment, so I'll resist.
ski holidays
Any thoughts on the longer term forecast for the Alps Dec/Xmas? I dreading it warming up like last year and skiing on mud & rocks again!
ski holidays
Thaw next week. It is true that snow that falls before mid November rarely stays around below 2000m so it could be a case of getting a few turns in this w/e then waiting for the real winter in Dec... Jan...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy