Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 16/17 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
I'm doing a lot of weather checking and webcam watching with first of two trips coming up in less than 3 weeks now. I must say despite the paucity of natural snow fall around, I'm impressed with how resorts are managing their snow making and what snow they have and are getting more and more pistes open.

I'm hoping for some decent dumps of snow in the next couple of weeks, but even if it doesn't then there is still fun to be had, even if there is no fresh powder.

The main thing I take from this thread is that forecasts aren't reliable and are subject to change!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Major downgrades this morning from the forecasters, with the high pressure predicted to move back over France by Wednesday leading to another week of dry weather. Little more than a dusting on Monday night.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
moffatross wrote:
zzz wrote:
moffatross wrote:
I'm liking the UK Met Office 30 day thoughts. Good for proper winter in the UK, and good for the Alps too, Once we've got a firm block around somewhere, so long as it's not situated bang over, or just east of the UK te whole time, there's room for some pleasant surprises

I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one. Generally, if you want snow in the Northern Alps, for example, you need an airmass that comes from the Atlantic, preferably a polar maritime airmass or returning polar maritime; this is a cold, and importantly, moist airmass. Generally, a blocking high results in a dry and cold airmass from the NE, known as a polar continental airmass. This is what we have at the moment and is generally what you get with high pressure centred over Europe. It's cold and dry and no use for snow , unless you like skiing on the manmade stuff most of the alps is covered with at the moment.

I admire your optimism but the reality is perhaps different.

Your starting premise is wrong. Europe has not been under the influence of a cold and dry airmass but a mild and slack one. Without a decent temperature gradient, weather won't happen, and though snowmaking is possible under inversion conditilns even wiith mild, slack air around (as has been the case in Europe for weeks), there'll be no useful snowfall without some proper cold air in the mix to shake it all up. Here's where we are just now, a very long way from a 'polar continental mass'. Get a decent long blast in from the north or the east, and we'll get nice surprises.

This morning's GFS operational actually offers reasonable hope, and although it's not setting up for a sustained blast a la heights rising over Greenland, it'd mix it up the air nicely down over the Alps.

snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
A quick question - can anyone point to me to a site where I can look up past past weather forecasts in the UK (Wales). I'm after the forecast for November 26th, Snowdonia.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@AndAnotherThing.., Have a look at weatheronline for Capel Curig
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yep, as geoffers says, weatheronline is useful for historical data ... http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/weather/maps/city?LANG=en&WMO=03305&ART=PRE&CONT=ukuk&R=150&LEVEL=150&REGION=0003&LAND=__&NOREGION=0&MOD=&TMX=&TMN=&SON=&PRE=&MONAT=&OFFS=&SORT=&MM=11&YY=2016&WEEK=4

MWIS once had a method for getting the archived forecast out but sadly, no more.

For model charts, these can easily be had from meteociel by changing date in the url e.g.

latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Snowforecast still showing some good falls coming up this week for parts of Austria. Any thoughts from those here in the know?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
For the last three days Météo France keep pushing snow back to the end of their 10 day forecast.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
'Major downgrades this morning from the forecasters, with the high pressure predicted to move back over France by Wednesday leading to another week of dry weather. Little more than a dusting on Monday night'

Its not showing that on the Austrian weather sites - quite some hefty falls on Wetter.at - especially Thurs and beyond (although beyond 3 dyas I tend to ignore)

http://www.wetter.at/wetter/sport-freizeit/ski-wetter/oesterreich/tirol/seefeld-rosshuette/prognose/9-tage
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
My mate who we refer to as the SnowGod is arriving roundabout the weekend of the 14th / 15th of this month - so that's about as scientific as looking at charts two weeks out but I would not be surprised as his track record is superb!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
i only really linger around here and dont post much..

but i have to say, im going away on the 25th jan and i have never been so worried going in jan.

webcam watching more than usual this year, and every model run is more depressing than the last.

j2 ski is showing snow from the 8th onwards in chamonix, i put my money on it changes.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
oscarkat wrote:
'Major downgrades this morning from the forecasters, with the high pressure predicted to move back over France by Wednesday leading to another week of dry weather. Little more than a dusting on Monday night'

Its not showing that on the Austrian weather sites - quite some hefty falls on Wetter.at - especially Thurs and beyond (although beyond 3 dyas I tend to ignore)

http://www.wetter.at/wetter/sport-freizeit/ski-wetter/oesterreich/tirol/seefeld-rosshuette/prognose/9-tage

Bergfex is still showing significant snow (subject to change snowHead )

http://www.bergfex.at/tauplitz/wetter/berg/
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
geoffers wrote:
@AndAnotherThing.., Have a look at weatheronline for Capel Curig

Cheers Smile
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I haven't looked on this thread for a while. What's the main betting for the next big dump? Two weeks?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@emwmarine, 3 days I'm hoping.
ski holidays
moffatross wrote:

This morning's GFS operational actually offers reasonable hope, and although it's not setting up for a sustained blast a la heights rising over Greenland, it'd mix it up the air nicely down over the Alps.

Loving that GFS chart with the jetstream buckling and what gets thrown at NE Italy!! snowHead

With Polar air drawn a long way South, it looks quite snowy around the fringes of Britain, across large parts of France and vast swathes of Iberia. Shocked

14 days out though!! Puzzled
snow report
5th, 8th and 10th of January all look good on Latest EC.
snow conditions
This is the current picture at Chamrousse

http://youtube.com/v/8g-_lGtpQO0

they managed to open 3 pistes, one on natural snow but it has been a struggle.

/// yes I know it is an outlook thread not a JLOOTW thread.

and for reference, last Christmas:
http://youtube.com/v/X6hfqxg7-IU&feature=youtu.be

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 1-01-17 17:57; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays

Doesn't look like much except maybe some snow showers to the south up high on the 14th on EPS Control, but after that... So no model convergence, let's take all this with a grain of salt.
snow report
Bit of a downgrade on the numbers for the 12Z GFS.

Snow for next weekend gone entirely.

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/forecast/schladming

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sun 1-01-17 17:52; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
GFS12z has snowfall arriving 2/3 and again on 4/5 December. As has been the case for a few days now this is primarily forecast to fall in Austria particularly around Salzburgerland.

Spent the day skiing Stuhleck. Very pleasant in the sunshine and natural snow cover to the valley floor (780m) which looked suitably Narnia like with all the snow covered trees. Pistes were fairly hard packed given lack of fresh snow.
ski holidays
nozawaonsen wrote:
GFS12z has snowfall arriving 2/3 and again on 4/5 December.

2017?
snow conditions
davidof wrote:
nozawaonsen wrote:

2017?

Ha! Was in the after glow of a fun day on the slopes! January 2017.
ski holidays
nozawaonsen wrote:
davidof wrote:
nozawaonsen wrote:

2017?

Ha! Was in the after glow of a fun day on the slopes! January 2017.

ah I thought you'd improved your forecasting. Happy New Year!
latest report
snowheads68 wrote:

Snow for next weekend gone entirely.

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/forecast/schladming

EC is still on it...
snow report
Not sure what the weather experts think but I find this quite interesting/useful.

Not sure of the source of the data though!

http://www.sat24.com/foreloop.aspx?type=1
latest report
Wengen website showing 'light snow' for Monday- Tuesday. Resort websites are always on the conservative side in my experience- I'm hoping very much so
latest report
sussexmartlet wrote:
Not sure what the weather experts think but I find this quite interesting/useful.

Not sure of the source of the data though!

http://www.sat24.com/foreloop.aspx?type=1

Probably a mix of different sources.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Morris is getting more confident... http://wepowder.com/forum/topic/236151
snow report
clarky999 wrote:
Morris is getting more confident... http://wepowder.com/forum/topic/236151

Maybe a bit too confident....
ski holidays
From Chamonix meteo
" A persistent bise wind pattern might be setting up thereafter between the high pressure area settled over the Near Atlantic or the British Isles, and some low systems whirling between the Eastern Baltic and the Central Mediterranean, meaning : bitter cold weather, especially high up, cloudy at times… with some snow flurries fluttering about in the wind."
At least he used the "S" word.
latest report
He tends not to pull the trigger without good reason so hopefully for all concerned he's right. I just armchair watching with no ski plans but enjoying it nonetheless (how sad is that??).
snow report
8611 wrote:
He tends not to pull the trigger without good reason so hopefully for all concerned he's right. I just armchair watching with no ski plans but enjoying it nonetheless (how sad is that??).

We going to Glencoe in scotland in March and im sat watching too!
ski holidays
This is how WRF sees the snowfall out to Friday. Not bad at all in Austria (on the northern side of the Alps) and parts of Switzerland (to the east).

FI for both GFS and ECM starts to look interesting for the middle third of the month for much of the Alps. The pattern change that has been flagged for a while now continues to build support, but other than saying few of the options look much like December it's hard to get much sense of the output at present. I'd stick on tonight's output if we could...

snow report
Slightly frustrating that the latest forecast charts are showing snow above and below Slovenia but little on it! Hopefully they are slightly out, could do with a dump in the next 2 1/2 weeks.
ski holidays

EC 12z looks better for snow at the end of the Deterministic outlook.
ski holidays
oscarkat wrote:

Decent falls on weds still...
latest report
@Jellybeans1000, what is your local ski resort?

I did a season in Mount Hotham in 2001.
snow report
Fingers crossed for austria at least....looking forward to my first ever trip there

But if gets any drier in the PdS we'll end up sandboarding

http://youtube.com/v/zjDCx0Ceg_g
snow conditions
mikeycharlton wrote:
@Jellybeans1000, what is your local ski resort?

I did a season in Mount Hotham in 2001.

Mount Buller, been to most of the Aussie resorts including Hotham.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy