Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 16/17 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
franga wrote:
What's everyone doing for Christmas then?
Back to UK for Christmas.
(And for once a French train was late, or we would have missed our connection in Chambery after train from Aime broke down).
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@nozawaonsen, @Jellybeans1000,

We are all adult enough to take your interpretations of the data with a pinch of salt. So feel free to argue but don't do it on our account please.

Please keep up the good work, I really love this thread and appreciate the chat.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yeah... you guys need to chill out.. season of goodwill and all that... plus, it's interesting to read differing points of view.

On the Xmas tip, I'm heading out tonight on a 1am euro tunnel down to meribel mottaret. Can't be arsed with worrying about snow. It's Christmas and they will definitely have beer. So I'm OK.. Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sauze d'Oulx | December 21, 2106

snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
This is the current set up in terms of pressure anomalies. High pressure set across continental Europe.

The jet stream (with Storm Barbara heading for Scotland) racing above unable to have much impact on the Alps.

Now take a look at this FI chart from 00z GFS, where you can see the high pressure block is now anchored in the Atlantic.

Cold pouring down from the north as the jet stream crashes down.

If (if) that happened it would bring a lot of snow to the northern Alps.

This is interesting in the light of a couple of comments from the contingency planners mentioned earlier both of which would chime with that.

"leading to an increased frequency of northerly or northwesterly winds over the UK."

"suggest an increased chance of a more blocked pattern over the Atlantic Ocean."

However, at this stage it is too soon to have any confidence in this outcome at all (the above is just one chart drifting in FI, just noise) although it is worth noting that something akin to this has cropped up in most of the GFS operational runs for early January since yesterday (snowheads68 picked up on one yesterday). If this continues to occur (and starts to become a signal) then it may indicate a pattern shift, if not we will need to continue to be patient.

It is of course worth noting that it is not possible to gauge the likely weather simply by the existence of a block in the Atlantic itself. Small shifts in where it sets up can have dramatic impacts. Too far east and it simply cuts off snow to the northern Alps. A bit further west and it may allow snow to pour down on the eastern end of the northern Alps, further west still abs the western end of the northern Alps could be the main beneficiary.

All of which simply shows that it is too soon to say. But some interesting things to keep an eye out for.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Chadspurs40, thanks . I'm perfectly chilled.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cheers for the update @nozawaonsen

I am keeping everything crossed that the above occurs (Everything!!!!) - even if it skirts Trois Vallees where I will be interested in - it should bring much needed change. Time to be optimistic!!!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
franga wrote:

watching the Selva webcams

http://www.valgardena.it/en/val-gardena/information-services/weather-live-cams/live-webcam/

Followed by the 'live' Arabba one

https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/italia/veneto/belluno/arabba.html
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
madmick wrote:
Newbie here, so I don't want to sound like an idiot, but was the snowfall in late November forecast like this?

2016?

It was another retour de l'est - they affect the French/Italian frontier ridge (and perhaps Austria? I dunno) and are fairly predictable but you'd have to go back through this thread to see how early and accurately it was called. Also it was warm so the snow fell above 2000/2200 m so even places like the Val Cenis don't have skiing on natural snow to resort. For the French Alps we have good conditions at altitude towards the Italian border, poor conditions at all altitudes elsewhere.

What we lack is a big atlantic low blasting through the high pressure and dumping a meter of snow.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yeah, that would be awesome, maybe if we could talk to the snow gods and inform them that this needs to happen this weekend, or my trip to Les Gets will be sub-par. But as someone else said earlier, I doubt they'll run out of beer, so I shall stay positive regardless Blush
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Right 4th of Jan it is then.... Its written above in lurid colours and so has to be true....

I eagerly anticipate the various forecasts , ensembles, e-mail alerts etc to all start flashing snow alerts anytime soon....

in the mean time I shall continue to sit here with a fistfull of novelty drinking straws in each hand..................
Shocked Embarassed Toofy Grin
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Snow Gods all seemed to have decamped to the US this season, left us in Europe with only the Snow Grinch!
With regards Christmas I'm off to Les Arcs tomorrow to get a sun tan for the next fortnight Sad
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Since there is some interpretation of the weather being made from forecast positions of the jets it's worth making it clear that the position of any front relating to a jet will, in the case of Europe, be quite some distance (possibly several hundred miles) to the south of the jet as indicated on a chart. The Jet streams are actally as a result of a steep temperature gradient aloft and are not the direct cause of any weather (hopefully snow) at lower levels.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Early Nov

davidof wrote:
Snow down to around 1000-1800m in the French Alps from N to S.

This is how it panned out. Snowed over 1m down to 1000m in NW alps. Was visible 10days out, but increased in intensity and with progressively lower snowline as it rolled in. Happy days.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
No real change on 12z GFS.

Parts of Austria look most likely to benefit from the snowfall on 25 and 27 December, but this isn't a pattern reset and high pressure rebuilds.

Out in FI the possibility of a more fundamental shift is kept afloat in the first week of January, but this is at the far end of what should be taken seriously.
snow conditions
nozawaonsen wrote:
No real change on 12z GFS.

Out in FI the possibility of a more fundamental shift is kept afloat in the first week of January, but this is at the far end of what should be taken seriously.

Does anyone know how long this high pressure blocking can carry on for ? Am liking fantasy island at the moment, can we please stay on it.
snow conditions
@2planks, it ends when it ends.
snow report
thanks for the update @nozawaonsen
latest report
At the very far end of ECM it produces this chart.

In and of itself it's not that interesting not least because it is too far out to have confidence that it will actually look anything like that when we arrive at that date. But. You can see the high pressure setting up further west in the Atlantic and allowing cold air to push down from the north. Noise or signal? Too early to tell and things can slide back and forth in FI, but at this stage I'd say it's worth keeping an eye on that first week of January to see if the pattern fades or intensifies (both of which at this stage remain strong possibilities).
snow report
@nozawaonsen, thanks, could you tell me how long is a piece of string ?

snowHead

Ps Happy Christmas !
snow conditions
Mrs Tr is a proven & globally effective snowbringer. It is rare that we arrive in the alps anywhere near our scheduled time. Snowmageddon I & II were down to her, as was the UK snow "event" in Dec 2010 when we struggled to get home from a devastated London Heathrow after a cheeky early-season weekend on skis. She was responsible for the devastating snow storm that laid waste to California in 2006(?) - the only time we've ever been there.

We are arriving in Innsbruck - en route to Selva Val Gardena - on Jan 1st. Conditions for travel will be horrendous; conditions for skiing (if you make it to your resort) will be extraordinary.
snow report
Could you and Mrs Tr perhaps fly out a week earlier? I promise I'll pay you the extra week - just send me your bank account details, mothers maiden name and the street where you grew up. I'm a Nigerian prince so you can trust me, promise
snow conditions
I like it! Does this usually affect travel at both ends of your trip? If so how long is your trip? (Innsbruck on the 8th - destination undecided).
ski holidays
@IanTr, any chance of Mrs Tr spending some time in the artic circle to hold off the melting of the polar ice caps? Puzzled Shocked Very Happy
ski holidays
@jellybeans1000, what is your view on this very informative latest view from @nozawaonsen ?
snow conditions

EC, GFS and GEM have a blocking set up developing from the 2nd of January
This may have an effect on a better jetstream setup, pushing cold air down to the Alps, like Noza said.
It might be a signal of a better January....
latest report
ribblevalleyblue wrote:
@jellybeans1000, what is your view on this very informative latest view from @nozawaonsen ?

I agree.
snow report
If there is a change in early January this season is shaping up very much like last year. Heavy snow in lots of places in November, a warm and very dry December as a result of a persistent blocking high, which breaks down in the first week of January leading to heavy snow in the Northern Alps.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
nozawaonsen wrote:
You can see the high pressure setting up further west in the Atlantic and allowing cold air to push down from the north. Noise or signal? Too early to tell and things can slide back and forth in FI, but at this stage I'd say it's worth keeping an eye on that first week of January to see if the pattern fades or intensifies (both of which at this stage remain strong possibilities).

The UK Met Office have had the bolded wording in their longer term outlook for several days now.

Quote:
UK Outlook for Friday 6 Jan 2017 to Friday 20 Jan 2017:
There is a good deal of uncertainty for this period. Signals do however point towards high pressure being dominant across the UK. This means some longer drier and quieter spells are likely for many, and thus a greater likelihood of local frost and patchy fog by night. There could be spells of more unsettled weather at times though, especially in the north. There is also the potential, although with very little confidence attached to it, that pressure may also build to the west of the UK across the Atlantic, and this would bring a higher chance of seeing a colder interlude with northerly winds.
ski holidays
kitenski wrote:
franga wrote:

Enjoying the sun Down Under Smile

Not sure 40 degrees (in Adelaide) is what I'd call enjoyable
Sad

Bring on escape to the Northern Hemisphere!
latest report
@Raven, I'm just outside Melbourne and it's been very pleasant:)
snow report
kitenski wrote:
@Raven, I'm just outside Melbourne and it's been very pleasant:)

Yeah it is quite pleasant at the moment!
snow report

4-6 January looks good on EPS Control, but not nearly as big on GFS, so a little patience is required here...
ski holidays
25th and 27th December are both light snow events for Austria on the latest GFS 00z run.

2-4 January is looking good on GFS for snow for most of the Alps.

More verification required beyond New Year's...
ski holidays
Jellybeans1000 wrote:
25th and 27th December are both light snow events for Austria on the latest GFS 00z run.

And unbroken sunshine for a week from 7th please....
snow report
buchanan101 wrote:
Jellybeans1000 wrote:

Wash your mouth out, Buchanan snowHead

What we want is 10-20 inches every night with unbroken sunshine all day long...
snow conditions
2planks wrote:
buchanan101 wrote:
Jellybeans1000 wrote:

Wash your mouth out, Buchanan snowHead

What we want is 10-20 inches every night with unbroken sunshine all day long...

I was being realistic....
ski holidays
anyone know what value sacrificing the mother in law is in terms of snow, she's coming to stay today...
latest report
Little Martin wrote:
anyone know what value sacrificing the mother in law is in terms of snow, she's coming to stay today...

You get rain. How dare you...!
latest report
Lack of snow syndrome... it eventually fixes!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy