Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

TR - Trysil 1st -10th April 2016

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Resort: Trysil, Norway with Oslo city trip.
When: 1-10 April 2016, 2 Nights in Oslo then 7 in Trysil
Who: 2 adults, 2 children (10 and 13)
Travel:
- Fri, 1st: “after” work to Heathrow T5 (stopping at duty free for a big bottle of rum) for BA to Oslo Gaardemoen (2 ½ hours approx) arriving around 2330.
- Sat: we took the train (?20 mins) to/from Oslo city centre and once there took the ferry across the bay to the Viking ship museum (definitely worth a visit by motorised boat IMV):-
[img][/img]

- Sun am: we took the Trysilekspressen bus from airport to Trysil (1145-1410) arriving outside the hotel with plenty of time for a first day ski and swim!
- Sun, 10th: after a leisurely ski, lunch and swim we took the 16:20 bus back to the airport and home landing 22:35.
So, 1 week off work for 8 ski days plus 1 full day city tour and no early starts (the last 2 earned lots of brownie points).
Accommodation:
- Park Inn, Gaardemoen Airport, nr Oslo: I would really recommend because of its soundproof (more brownie points!), smart, roomy (sic) rooms, and its comfy beds. Food in hotel was not exciting but edible with reasonable breakfast choice including fresh waffles (but no bacon and rubbish sausages). We already knew that alcohol would be really expensive (hence the duty free stop), but we found that food was too, especially meat. It won’t just put a hole in your wallet:-

- Radisson Blu Resort Trysil: we had a deluxe apartment which meant main bedroom with queen sized bed and 2 foldaway doubles in a good sized living area and plenty of space for 4 of us (with one big teenager), plenty of storage and drying areas. Great facilities in the hotel itself, big multi-depth swimming pool, Jacuzzi, 10 lane bowling alley, spa, surf machine/wave rider, games room (lots of air hockey), several bars and restaurants. We had a half board/”dine around” package that let us go to any of the 4 restaurants but drinks were, very very much, extra! The food was good with quite a lot of choice/variety including some bacon served at breakfast (strangely served in the buffet as a single mini rasher on top of a fried egg – that’s one wat to, ahem, ration meat I suppose). We got diet coke (to go with our rum), snacks and the odd lunch from the supermarket 100m from the hotel The hotel is right on the (nursery) slopes, ski in & out for any standard:-

Weather/snow:
It rained (intermittent drizzle mostly) at resort level for 5/8 skiing days, which was light snow at mid mountain (at about the tree line) and there was plenty of low cloud (a common thing for Trysil I gather). There is loads and loads of skiing in and among the trees though which really helped in poor viz.

The snow, though, was plentiful and stayed in really good condition throughout – I think (due to low altitude compared to the alps) that there wasn’t too much freeze thaw going on day to night, so the pistes didn’t deteriorate too much and neither did they get rock hard in the morning.

Skiing: 65km of pistes (from 350m to 1100m altitude) mean it’s definitely not a large resort but there is real variety there – truly excellent green and blue runs, very wide pistes plus multiple fun routes through the trees (at all grades of slope) and lots of challenge, natural obstacles and steepness on and off-piste on the open slopes above the treeline. The way the pistes seem to wrap around the central exposed mountain also gave a good feeling of travel

along with the great views (except through my camera lens obviously)

Add to that the variety of snow parks accessible to all even sacks of potatoes like myself, and there was plenty to look forward to every day.
Lots of T-bars though – some essential in getting across the mountain (next year they promise to build another bottom to top chairlift which will mean you could completely avoid t-bars for all bu the very odd black if you want)

For lunch stops we greatly enjoyed and recommend SkyHytta (Elk on toast!) and the sushi (soft shell crab) at Happy Faces in Turistsenter.

Definitely worth the money in my view!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Wildsmith, great report, thanks. Sounds a very civilised trip. I do remember Sweden being pricy for meat, same here then.

I didn't know about the bus, sounds convenient and does away with renting a car. How was it with luggage volume, any restrictions/extra charges and did you take ski's?

Did you use a ski school? If so, any good?

How far in advance did you book to get the deluxe at the Raddison? I guess you didn't need to eat much in the room due to the package but do their apartments have any facilities in that regard?

Cheers
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@ster, thanks - civilised it certainly felt - should have bought 2 bottles of rum!

Bus was plenty fine for luggage, took 2 sets of skis (we booked online in advance and the bus was full too). Definitely easier than driving (the bus stops in the airport) - c £160 for 4.

We had a breakfast table with 4 stools with tea/coffee facilities and 1 shelf of a mini fridge - enough to hold the ham, cheese and salad which we had for two lunches in the room - I think there are other room variants in the hotel with kitchens.

We booked everything 1 month prior to going - booking separately saved us £1k on the tour op price (and we added the city break into that). We couldn't get private ski school at that short notice (only groups) - there is only one ski school, TrysilGuidene.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy