Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2016/2017 (Cold Front May 7th Snow Sunday)

Poster: A snowHead
Heavy snowfall overnight. Hard to tell from home, but maybe 10 - 20cm in the village and still snowing. Avi clearing in progress.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@stanton / @ulmerhutte, we (3 lads) have flights booked to Zurich in 3 weeks time. We are piste skiers / boarders. Are piste conditions decent enough for us to take the plunge and book our train tix and accommodation now? Is the tourist office our best bet for finding somewhere that will gave us for 4 nights? Thanks
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@franga, Pistes will be fine until end of season.

If you straddle a weekend (saturday)
Booking 4 nights now will be a problem as the owners can fill a whole week.
But if you do Tues - Sat or Sat to Weds that should be ok.

Snow
About 25-30 cm new on Galzig.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks @stanton.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for keeping this up to date. Heading to St Anton next weekend (11 March) for a 2 week stay. Fingers crossed.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Snowd again last night, tho turned to rain now in Pettneu
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
A few cm of quite wet snow here in Nasserein. Temps marginal, even at Galzig level.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Currently around a 6 degree temp variation from Town to Galzig (+3C to -3C)

Official Weather

The general weather situation will change significantly, the air stream over the Alps will turn southward on Friday. Föhny conditions are expected, though a weak influence of high-pressure will still prevail. Friendly weather conditions, resulting in a harmless mix of sunshine and clouds, are generally forecast. Towards Saturday, the southerly föhn wind will become stormy and gusty, precipitation clouds will accumulate along the main Alpine ridge and result in sunny weather conditions in the north of it. On Sunday, the föhn wind will weaken significantly, though the details are still uncertain. However, it seems certain, that the new week will bring late winter weather conditions once more.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hmm, I am all in favour of Winter returning. I would prefer it not to be Saturday though. I am driving up from Zermatt to Lech to spend a week there. I prefer driving on tarmac. Snow is for skiing on.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@JohnMo, Roads will be fine no. No problem from Switz to Lech.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
stanton wrote:
@JohnMo, Roads will be fine no. No problem from Switz to Lech.

Thanks for the reassurance. I am going to set off early as there seems to be a good storm coming up from the South on Saturday morning. I'd like to get up to Austria ahead of it.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sunshine for most of the day.

Strong, almost gale-force föhn wind in Warth-Schröcken, but almost no wind here in StA in return. I was however told by a local that it is expected in StA tomorrow.

Pistes in good condition, while the side/slack-country is tracked out and/or wind-packed.

Well, that's it for 2017. Off to ZRH tomorrow and home.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We skied where the wind was loading and it was very good. First day so we cruised Lech, Schroeken and did a Zuers loop home. Planning a St Anton and back tomorrow before hopefully some serious storms roll in Cool Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dont bank on anything serious..

The season is basically dusted..never got going.

Easter is very late this year.

End of March most ski folks will be done.

Many busineses (bars in hill) will be closed before Easter
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Saturday 14:30 currently +3.5C on Galzig (2073Metres)

Official Weather
The föhn storm will abate, colder air will infiltrate our regions until Sunday, however, a longer period of settled weather is not excepted. On the contrary, due to the westerly wind further Atlantic fronts will reach us until next Tuesday. Tomorrow on Sunday, last showers of a cold front, approaching at night, will abate in the morning. However, further frontal systems will reach us already on Sunday night, the snow line will establish below 1000 m. After a short period of improved conditions humid-cold north-westerly accumulations will determine the weather on Tuesday. Further snowfalls are expected. Due to the current weather models improved conditions are forecast for midweek, however, this is still uncertain.
ski holidays
Late Report

Sonnenkopf

Avalanche Last Saturday (25th Feb)

Two seriously injured

http://www.vol.at/zwei-schwerverletzte-bei-lawinenabgang-in-vorarlberg-3/5161080
snow report
Klösterle ( Sonnenkopf)

http://youtube.com/v/wvAQrIhBbrA
snow report
Wild day with wind but got some good turns in at Zuers before all lifts worth skiing shut in early afternoon. The windblown pow off the Muggengart was especially excellent. Constant refills. We pottered around Lech after that and they opened a couple of higher lifts about 2.45-ish, giving access to some nice fresh groomers.

Raining now in Lech but forecast has it turning to snow tonight. And if we are lucky, a snowy week ...
ski holidays

http://youtube.com/v/RT0xFsLzREU&feature=youtube_gdata_player
latest report
Puking in Lech this morning. Looks a good 10cm on cars already. Could be a good day Smile
snow report

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 9-03-17 0:15; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
The Übungslifte Oberlech will be replaced next year by a 6er chairlift. The new topstation will be located a bit higher, so you'll be able get to the Weibermahdbahn from there. (alpinforum)

Anybody who can tell more about planned investments in St. Anton?

We were last week @ the Arlberg: pretty good snow conditions after the snowfalls.
What stood out:
We like the new Flexenbahn etc. but the Arlenmähder- and the Schindlergratbahn can't handle the crowds heading to the new Flexenbahn every morning. The Valfagehr cant handle the crowds either.
snow report
menno2707 wrote:
but the Arlenmähder- and the Schindlergratbahn can't handle the crowds heading to the new Flexenbahn every morning. The Valfagehr cant handle the crowds either.

This was the best investment the region ever made because it clears everyone off St Anton slopes & leaves all the Powder for myself.

I never understood why folks book a holiday in St Anton then spend all day on the lifts & skiing the autobahn carpets over in Zurs & Lech, Warth Schrocken. Sad

FYI.

Schindlergratbahn is going to be renewed .
ski holidays
I think it's because they don't let the English stay in Lech or Zurs Laughing
snow conditions
Peter S wrote:
I think it's because they don't let the English stay in Lech or Zurs Laughing

I still do not understand why they book in a resort with some of the best steep challenging skiing/terrain in the World & then they spend allday on lifts, heading off to another ski area with kilometres of carpet skiing.

May as well save there money and book a place like Saalbach or Soll.
snow conditions
@stanton, quite possibly because St Anton sells itself very well and has lots of accommodation especially aimed at the UK market.

Many people from across the world are attracted to the image of St Anton and will enjoy both St Anton and the rest of the Arlberg, but many find some of the steep/challenging terrain too steep and too challenging. But they enjoy what the Arlberg as a whole has to offer (including the fun apres ski in St Anton). Although maybe can't afford the cost of staying in Lech. Nothing wrong with that.

I think there is a problem with the unintended consequences of the lift queues building up as a result of the Flexenbahn (I say unintended as no one managing a resort would intend for people to have to stand in long queues). It would have been magnified last week with school holidays and fasching. I would imagine they will be looking at whether they can adjust the flow.
ski holidays
Glad to hear the new lifts are moving the hordes out of St Anton. Most of the UK hordes don't ski off piste and rarely venture outside a bar so they could really be anywhere.

We rather enjoyed the carpet skiing around Lech and Warth today. The ski routes and off piste around Steinmaedler were good before the sun trashed them. I got first tracks down the Furkawang which was sweet. I know ... carpet .. but I enjoyed it

Afternoon in Warth, where more north facing slopes held snow well. Snow was deeper there too, solid boot deep in places, and it was deserted so still lots of untracked to be had. Very enjoyable. Don't know that area super well so was good to explore and find some fun off the pistes.

Will try to hit St Anton tomorrow. Thwarted by winds yesterday and fog this morning, but sounds like only light snow during day tomorrow before it really dumps? Looking forward to the non-carpet challenge Madeye-Smiley

PS - correct about not letting Brits stay in Lech. I masquerade as an American or Aussie as its the only way to stay here Laughing Laughing
snow report
stanton wrote:
menno2707 wrote:
but the Arlenmähder- and the Schindlergratbahn can't handle the crowds heading to the new Flexenbahn every morning. The Valfagehr cant handle the crowds either.

This was the best investment the region ever made because it clears everyone off St Anton slopes & leaves all the Powder for myself.

I never understood why folks book a holiday in St Anton then spend all day on the lifts & skiing the autobahn carpets over in Zurs & Lech, Warth Schrocken. Sad

FYI.

Schindlergratbahn is going to be renewed .

What are they going to replace it with a 4 man?. Its already busy enough at the top with the 3 man that's there. Will a bigger lift not just
cast bigger problems at the top. or is something else planned? on that note - I have never seen the pistes busier than they were a few weeks ago. The
blue to rauz was simply insane! Ok there was no off piste and that was keeping more people on the pistes, probably, but it still was crazy. I wonder has the law of
unintended consequences kicked in here in regard to the flexenbahn!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
What are the conditions off piste like currently? Im out on 12/03 for a week and cant believe a thing snow forecast says.
snow report
@mcg, They know how many people are on the hill. There is a limit on how many skiers Lech will allow (forgot precise number) . Some lift tickets are not sold (not valid for Zurs & Lech) if they know they are at the limit.

Stuben will expand Sad Sad & get some new lifts.

Im not sure when Schindlergratbahn will happen but it will as its 30yrs old.

Lifts in Planning

St Anton - Kappl

In Planing: Malfon I & II(Bj. 2019)
8er Gondelbahn (Ein-Seil-Umlaunfbahn) ( 8 Person Gondola)
Beförderungskapazität/h: 1800
Hersteller: Doppelmayr

Warth

In Planing: Dorfbahn Warth
8er Gondelbahn (Ein-Seil-Umlaufbahn) (8 Person Gondola)
Länge: 470 m · Beförderungskapazität/h: 800

Lech

In Planing: Schlosskopfbahn
8er Gondelbahn (Ein-Seil-Umlaufbahn)
Länge: 1414 m · Beförderungskapazität/h: 2400
Replace Lift: 2er Sesselbahn fix geklemmt

Zug

Replace Lift: 2er Sesselbahn fix geklemmt (Current Chair)
In Planning: Zugerbergbahn
8er Gondelbahn (Ein-Seil-Umlaufbahn) (8 Person Gondola)
Länge: 1460 m · Beförderungskapazität/h: 2400

St Anton (Rendl)

Replace Lift: 2er Sesselbahn fix geklemmt (Riffl 1)
In Planning: Rossfall (Bj. 2019)
6er Hochgeschwindigkeits-Sesselbahn (kuppelbar) mit Abdeckhauben (6 Person chair)
Beförderungskapazität/h: 1800

Stuben

In Planning: Albonabahn I
6er Hochgeschwindigkeits-Sesselbahn (kuppelbar) mit Abdeckhauben ( 6 person chair )
Länge: 1354 m · Beförderungskapazität/h: 2400
Replace Lift: 2er Sesselbahn fix geklemmt ( 2 man chair)

Strong Rumours

Zammermoos will be moved and upgraded to 8-man chair Feldherrenhügelbahn
Mattunbahn upgraded
Schongrabben T bar replaced with Chairlift.
Gampenbahn capacity upgrade.
Madlochbahn renew

Snowmaking.

Additional Holding Reservoirs on Gampen?
snow conditions
I blame this thread for the crowds in the Arlberg. Toofy Grin Won't make it to Euro Ski Land this year. Just way too much snow in North America this year to be bothered with the whole hitting Europe thing. Glad to see that there's finally snow coming down for you folks though! But hoping for next season to go back . wink
snow conditions
@Toadman, I dont blame you i been skiing 2-3+ weeks in US last 28 yrs when its mad crowded here in town. I get out of town. Last two season i did not make the trip as conds in US were not that good.
Tbh. Arlberg conds (im talking POW) have also not been good at all the lsst 2 seasons except when the lifts stopped running end of April.j

Glad its great in thd US this season
snow conditions
Longest line I waited in was on this past Saturday when everyone decided to go to the same area. About 15 minutes wait. That can be a buzz kill on a powder day. That's when it's time to go for a hike! I don't ever recall waiting that long in a lift line when skiing in Europe. But we always try and plan ski trips to Europe between holidays and school breaks. The only thing with that approach is you roll the dice with what the conditions will be like.

I get the sense with all the new lifts in the Arlberg, maybe it's brought some publicity to the area as well, and folks are checking it out to see what all the fuss is about.
latest report
gortonator wrote:
Puking in Lech this morning. Looks a good 10cm on cars already. Could be a good day Smile

Looking forward to your TR. Been really good in the Cascades. But, we don't have the Apre' Ski seen here!
latest report
Lots of snow overnight. Wind affected in places so you had to be selective about you lines. It was basically a numerous carpet-delivered face shot day around Lech. Find wind loaded gullies and the snow was epic. Best run was probably through the avi fences off the top of Rufikopf down to the poma, and then on the edges of the ski route from the top of the poma. The ski route down to Zug was pretty epic too, again in the gullies near the trees, until the last 3rd when it got heavy (it was warm by 11am) and the cover was sketchy in places.

It's dumping now. I think tomorrow might be ok ...
snow report

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 9-03-17 0:26; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Dumped overnight in St Anton! There is a good 30cm on my balcony alone at resort level.

First post, I would add a picture. It don't know how...

Thank you snow gods

To add - it snowed heavy overnight on Sunday night aswell.
snow report
loving the look of the forecasts this week - arrive on Saturday for 5 days Very Happy So glad I've bought wider skis now Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
It was deep today. White room stuff all day and not stopped snowing yet. hardly anyone out in Zuers. Pow to feast on.

I'll try and add some pics later but now I need to collapse in the sauna. It was a huge day.

Forecast for Thursday/Friday is looking marginal. Fingers crossed ...
snow report
The prayers have been answered
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy