Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs or Tignes - which is best?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Quote:
according to google maps it's currently 29 minutes to Les Brev
Would you say you're a bit of a pedant then Layne? Laughing

OK then, long drive it is... Confused

Quote:
How much is parking in Le Lac or Val Claret these days?
I don't know as (despite always staying in Val Claret) I never pay for parking. I always use one of the previously mentioned freebie spots.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
according to google maps it's currently 29 minutes to Les Brev
Would you say you're a bit of a pedant then Layne? Laughing

OK then, long drive it is... Confused

Maybe it's because we drive from the UK each trip. There is a lot of talk on here about traffic on changeover day, whether you need winters/chains, etc. There are towns/stations even within the main ski areas that are much greater schlep. If you take the 3V for example - going to Le Praz/La Tania is a breeze compared to getting all the way up to Val T. And in say January it's questionable why you would want to.

Quote:
Quote:
How much is parking in Le Lac or Val Claret these days?
I don't know as (despite always staying in Val Claret) I never pay for parking. I always use one of the previously mentioned freebie spots.

I've stayed in Les Brev many years ago. It's a lovely place but there is a lot more accommodation in the main stations. And Le Brev is a bit on a limb. Of course you can stay in the main station and leave your car in Brev but that is another hassle.[/quote]

None of these things are a reason to avoid Tignes. But they might be reasons to go with another option where everything else is broadly equal.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We've never found it too much of a hardship to drive up to Val Claret to unload our stuff; park the car; and - depending on the time of day - either bus back or ski back to Val Claret.

Ditto at the end of the hol - either bus or ski back to 1800/Les Boisses or Les Brevieres.

The odd time (eg arriving at midnight) we've paid for overnight parking and then moved the car to a free parking spot the next day.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I should add that there is very little free parking in Les Arcs also.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Free parking in Tignes then? Not something to be sniffed at, especially given current fuel prices. When I was looking at paid car parks it was about 80€ for the week. That's a decent chunk of fuel.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Owlette wrote:
Free parking in Tignes then? Not something to be sniffed at, especially given current fuel prices. When I was looking at paid car parks it was about 80€ for the week. That's a decent chunk of fuel.

They are out door, so you would need a good shovel & good to -20c antifreeze in all your fluids, just in case.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We’ve been to Tignes and 3 Valleys a few times so considering Les arcs for a change. Thinking of a couple of weeks early season to get some skiing fitness/mojo back after a couple of lean years due to Covid and poor conditions, to be followed later in the season by a more off piste orientated trip. How good / reliable is Les Arcs for reds and blacks and off piste?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
So we’re now splitting our 3 week trip to the Tarantaise in January to include some time at Tignes as well as Les Arcs. A change of scenery for the teens might be good I think.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sbooker wrote:
So we’re now splitting our 3 week trip to the Tarantaise in January to include some time at Tignes as well as Les Arcs. A change of scenery for the teens might be good I think.

Sounds sensible to me.....and you can then tell us what you think. Toofy Grin
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
On the rocks wrote:
We’ve been to Tignes and 3 Valleys a few times so considering Les arcs for a change. Thinking of a couple of weeks early season to get some skiing fitness/mojo back after a couple of lean years due to Covid and poor conditions, to be followed later in the season by a more off piste orientated trip. How good / reliable is Les Arcs for reds and blacks and off piste?

Les Arcs has all the off-piste you could want, plus some great fast reds and fast and or technical blacks. I can't comment on snow reliability though beyond saying that I've always been in January and it's always been fine.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@greengriff, Toofy Grin
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I generally go to Paradiski Christmas week. It's as good as anywhere early season. We've had some good dumps.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy