Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

60 g/m jacket?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Looking for a new jacket - have seen a surfanic one I like the look of, the insulation is listed as 60 g/m which seems to be at the low end of the spectrum. Bit of a "how long is a piece of string" question, but is this likely to be warm enough? My existing jacket is a very old down one and I'm not really familiar with the synthetic insulation ratings. My salopettes are 60g/m and that seems like it'd be quite thin for a jacket, but I am used to down... Any thoughts?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@nabus, I ski in a shell with underarm vents which offers wind protection only I guess (no fill at all) and layer up underneath, personally I don't like padded jackets and prefer to add on and take off layers depending on temperature and level of climbing being done etc. You can get a huge variation in temperatures from 9am to 3pm so in my view its better to have a few options. I go merino t-shirt, merino zipped polo neck, thin down gilet and shell over, with merino buff around my gills.....good for +10C to -20C in my experience, dumping what I don't need in my rucksack. I always carry another thin layer just in case.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

My salopettes are 60g/m and that seems like it'd be quite thin for a jacket, but I am used to down... Any thoughts?

Yep, that's lightly insulated. Would think you'd need an extra layer under it for equivalent warmth to your existing jacket.

I agree with @Markymark29 that for all round use, shell and layering is more flexible. But for downhill/lift served I quite like an insulated jacket. Mine has 100g in the body and 60g in the sleeves (primaloft) and I wear it with a single merino LS base layer for most of the season, adding a thin fleece if it very cold, unzipping to dump heat when it warms up. I generally find it too warm at Easter though. But warmth is personal, you may need a bit more protection.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've been a convert this season to layering. I previously had a Columbia 3-in-1 so it was layering of a sort but I generally stuck with using it combined. This season I've been using a mixture of merino baselayers with the synthetic down element of the Columbia jacket with either an Arcteryx MX Hoody or Arcteryx Rush Jacket. In Val d'Isere in late March I started the day with a thin merino baselayer with a slightly thicker one next and either the Hoody or Rush. Very quickly I found I had to shed one of the merino layers.

What it all boils down to is how much you feel the cold. I tend to run hot so I need less layers but my wife really feels the cold and will layer up with as many as she can find.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@nabus, 60g/m is a measure of weight per square area. Like paper.

Maybe there's some weird agreement amongst mountain kit builders about how this works, but as the g and the m are pretty well defined I doubt it.

I use an Arc'teryx Atom jacket as my midlayer. Most of the time. Most all round useful thing I possess, ski wear wise. I think although I can't tell now as there are 3 available weights, that's it's the 60g/m version.

I think all Arc are trying to do is give some comparison.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Same approach as @Markymark29 for me apart from my down layer is a very lightweight jacket, can bundle it up and stuff it in the hardshell pocket. Hardshell is a single thickness of gortex pro so no insulation.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks all Smile
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I bought a helly Hansen epic from their retail outlet. Very impassive insulated jacket. £150 in the retail outlet. Very waterproof and breathable 20000. Retails for over £300 even in sales elsewhere
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I use Smartwool Leggings, Norrona lofoten (non insulated) trousers. Foe insulation I use use the legs to get heat into them with an added natural insulation layer from Bacon Rolls for breakfast. Happy

On top I use the smart wool base layer and I found my new TNF micro bobble insulated jacket all I need. Tended to have a goretex shell in bag but the mid layer is enough for me. The only other think is perhaps a fleece gillet under the microboble.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy