Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val D'Isere stomach bugs

Poster: A snowHead
Spent a family Xmas in Val D'Isere (Mark Warner) and for second year in a row found ourselves in a winter vomitting bug outbreak (still had a great time). Have just been told by another operator that Val D'Isere is known for this. Is there anything in this idea or would another resort be just as bad? Puzzled
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
christineS,

Welcome to Snowheads Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Sorry to hear about the bug.

Never heard of this problem though
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=236459#236459

Thought this sounded familiar, Tignes though.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
christineS, and Welcome to SnowHeads, our NE branch is growing fast.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Come to think of it my mate lost a days skiing and at nights drinking due to a stomach bug he had in Alpe D a few years back
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
johnboy, hubby was ill on both the holidays we spent in Flaine, he blamed it on cheese fondue the first time, and hasn't touched it since.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Evil Cheese Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
johnboy, I blamed it on the quantity of alcohol he washed the fondue down with wink . I think the winter vomiting in ski resorts is all too common though.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
A friend of mine has a health safety and food hygiene training business, 3 years ago he wrote to every Chalet operator he could find an address for, with the assistance of SCGB, offering to train all their chalet staff to English basic food hygiene standard either here or during the training week in the alps.
None of the companies expressed an interest Sad

I would be interested to hear if any of our resident medics would care to comment on the existence of a winter vomitting bug perculiar to ski resorts.

If the bug was in fact Norwalk Virus (sometimes refered to wrongly as a vomitting bug) then the Companies have been negligent in not informing their guests prior to their arrival of it's incidence in their chalets. In the UK AFAIK it is a reportable incidence. Sad

Nobody should go on holiday in the EU and 'expect' to have a tummy upset.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
son working in Val D'Isere told me few days ago about chalet belonging to VERY expensive company where bottom floor flooded with sewage, guests told not to use toilets etc, chalet staff had to clean it all up and basic disinfecting undertaken only AFTER guests and staff down with bug. Also company very reluctant to allow sick staff time off to recover, 'cos no leeway in staffing levels. This might be understandable with a rock bottom budget company, but this lot should have sent guests to hotel whilst chalet thoroughly cleaned, not had staff mopping up the sh*t one minute and making dinner the next. I have fear of stomach bugs in our apartment, with only one loo. Am careful about simple food hygiene measures and in four seasons no problems. Touch wood (and then wash hands...)
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
boredsurfin, it is definitely notifiable here, though I suspect thes outbreaks aren't Norwalk which closed my kids school down a few years back. A quick google search found lots of incidences in various resorts.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Where's Kramer when we want him? Oh, I forgot, he's a real doctor and probably wants some time off...

Unlike me...

boredsurfin, doesn't Norwalk tend to be caught from eating raw oysters (or indeed, infected human faeces)? Rare in chalet land surely?? (Educated purely on the internet so please excuse any dreadfully mis-informed comments).

We had a rather nasty outbreak of "gastric flu" in Muerren for Inferno week 2004. I was so ill after 4 hours of D & violent V that I was blacking out while throwing up - had a good 5 minutes unconscious each time. Very worrying first few times it happened and couldn't be left on my own. Ended up going to the local GP for treatment. Managed to race (weakly) the next day though!

My understanding is that this form of viral outbreak is frequently associated with and named after cruise liners. Restricted population, close quarters, etc. gives rise to a local epidemic. Ski resorts clearly fall into the same kind of category I have been given to understand.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
David Murdoch, The problem with Norwalk is nobody knows for sure! It is an airborne virus and as such is difficult to 'pin' down. Your example to with cruise liners and chalets is particularly apt.
One suggested method of clearing a building of Norwalk is thorough ventilation of the building concerned and completely changing the air within. Which is surprisingly difficult to achieve.
One stubborn case, that I know of, was only cleared by mass 'steriliastion' of the whole building after all soft furnishings had been removed and disposed of and pumping in misted disenfectant. I understand that this is how they now treat cruise liner's after an outbreak. Sad

Given the above perhaps it is understandable why the Chalet operator's would be reluctant to tackle the problem Shocked

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Wed 18-01-06 20:02; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We experienced an outbreak of some kind of stomach bug in Club Med in Val D'Isere a few years ago. It was amazing to watch the guests going down like ninepins. About 50% of the people staying there got it and were out of action for three days. My wife and I were just waiting for it to happen to us, but somehow we got lucky! The club staff blamed it on a virus in the water! Just goes to show how dangerous water can be wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
boredsurfin, yikes!!
latest report
christineS wrote:
Spent a family Xmas in Val D'Isere (Mark Warner) and for second year in a row found ourselves in a winter vomitting bug outbreak (still had a great time). Have just been told by another operator that Val D'Isere is known for this. Is there anything in this idea or would another resort be just as bad? :~/

Val d'Isère apparently has problems with its water supply which doesn't agree with non-locals so yes, it is known for this.

However this year, as last, France has a gastric flu epidemic. This seems to strike around Christmas due to the number of people moving around the country.
snow report
davidof, I don't think, for once, that it's fair to single france out...

From an Irish med site:

gastric flu

Gastric ‘flu is a stomach upset that causes sickness mostly vomiting with some diarrhoea. It is caused by a virus, technically named the Norwalk-like-virus (boredsurfin, clearly mild apologies in order!) or Small Round Structured Virus (SRSV) also known as the “Winter Vomiting Bug”. The vomiting often starts very suddenly. The sickness lasts for six to 18 hours and many cases are well enough to go ahead with planned activities after a few hours.

Gastric flu is recognized as an increasing problem and has been the cause of many outbreaks in recent years in Ireland - especially in health care settings and in the holiday industry where large groups of people congregate or are on the move.

Outbreaks have occurred in many parts of Ireland and in different countries and while they involve the community at large they have proven difficult to control in premises where groups of people live (temporarily or long-term).
snow conditions
A few years ago I had a similar experience in Courchevel. There was a group of 56 of us in a budget place in 1850, and about 20 were struck down by a 48-hour bug. For some reason it was all boys, except for one girl. Much hilarity and fake accusations ensued!
ski holidays
The most notorious incident of this type was probably the typhoid outbreak in - of all places - Zermatt in Switzerland.

In February 1963 several skiers came down with typhoid symptoms. By the end of March there had been 300-400 cases (69 British) and the resort was evacuated: all hotels and shops closed. The village school was converted into a hospital, with Swiss Army medical personnel brought in to deal with the crisis. Three fatalities occurred.
snow report
christineS, which MW hotel was it?

I ask, because my son & I were at the Toviere (opposite the Funival) during the week before Christmas and had no problem, nor did any of the other guests AFAIK.

We DID however stay at the Cygnaski last February and at least half the guests were ill, which I put down to the chef serving up part-frozen food.
ski holidays
rob@rar.org.uk, in that case it was probably spread by faecal means and started in the mens loos.
ski holidays
Helen Beaumont, thanks. Probably a bit more detail than I needed, but it's always good to have expert opinion here on snowHeads Wink
snow conditions
A bunch of us all got sick on our last night in Tignes a few years back - we blamed it on the salmon serverd up by our chalet host at the time. Three of the guys felt sick including me, although I thought I'd be fine until I got on the coach and it winded it's way down the twisty mountain roads. I sat there thinking "I'll be fine, I'll be fine, I'll be fine" not wanting to ask the coach to stop - and then it was too late, and the only thing I had to be sick into was my ski jacket....not the most pleasant journey to the airport that one - for me, or my friends! Embarassed
ski holidays
One of our party was sick on the way up to Val D'isere, but I guess that doesn't count. I think it was probably because they watching a DVD on the coach. Serves them right. What's wrong with looking at the view ?

Val D'Isere is famous for its cough but I assume that is to do with the drynesss of the air after being in the damp UK ?

Sometimes drinking new water with a totally different mineral content can upset a finely adjusted stomach. But it would be a bit worrying if they do have other problems with their water supply.

I have heard that some resorts recycle their treated waste water for use in snow production. Could that be a cause ?
ski holidays
We came back from val d'isere at the weekend, there was about 15 people from our chalet who had a particulalry unpleasant stomach bug, which we blamed on rather poor standards of hygiene in the chalet. My friend is still being sick now. 5 people were struck down at the top of the olympique within 10 minutes of each other. very pleasant.
snow conditions
I always find 4 pints of 'red eric' in 'Le Petite Danoir' is a good way of preventing food poisoning when in Val D'Isere... Toofy Grin

Mainly on the basis you dont make it back to eat !! snowHead

Whilst in Alp D'Huez in Decemeber, one of our group had a spagetti carbonara , ( spelling ? well the one with the raw egg...), in a mountainside restaurant and was throwing up and off sick the next day within 5 hours ! So I dont think its just a Val D'Isere thing... rolling eyes
ski holidays
Peter S wrote:

Sometimes drinking new water with a totally different mineral content can upset a finely adjusted stomach. But it would be a bit worrying if they do have other problems with their water supply.

I can only tell you what a Val d'Isère doctor told my wife - apparently there is streptochoccus in the water source; this is not a problem except at peak periods where water use means it becomes more concentrated. No idea why this should be. I personally have never been ill and the locals seem to resist the "Val Tummy" too.

However there are a lot of urban legends in the bubble of ski resorts. I go for the gastro brought by Parisians theory myself. It is very important that chalet hosts wash their hands reguarly when preparing food for guests particuarly when these gastro epidemics do the rounds. While on the subject a friend of mine saw a huge splat in the middle of a ski run the other day - beurk.

Just the change of environment - as you say above - plus cheap French beer and too much fondu could do it for some people.

Peter S wrote:

I have heard that some resorts recycle their treated waste water for use in snow production. Could that be a cause ?

Probably all the Snowmax they put in the artifical snow doesn't help.
ski holidays
Peter S,
Quote:

Could be, but then you would also probably get sick every time you take a drink of tap water in London, New York or just about any big city that doesn't have a bunch of glaciers at it's doorstep! On the other hand, maybe the Val D'Isere snow makers don't lace the water with large amounts of chlorine Confused
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
NickB, I think it was the Cygnski - because I was there with wife and 3 year old xmas week - and all 3 of us caught the vom bug one after another. Nasty bug, must admit I suspected the kitchen hygiene as not overly impressed by food.
latest report
One our friends always expected to get a stomach upset on a MW holiday, she was amazed when holidaying with us for the first time (self catering) that her stomach was fine all week. She had previously believed what the TO's reps had told her. Shocked
ski holidays
Quote:

None of the companies expressed an interest

Quite possibly because the vast majority of them already do it.
ski holidays
boredsurfin wrote:
David Murdoch, The problem with Norwalk is nobody knows for sure! It is an airborne bacteria and as such is difficult to 'pin' down.

Just a minor correction - it is not a bacterium, but as you yourself called it in an earlier post, the Norwalk virus. Bacterial infections can be cured by antibiotics, but they have no effect on a virus.
This website states that there are no drugs to treat Norwalk, all that can be done is to maintain fluid levels to avoid dehydration until the infection runs its course.
ski holidays
Alastair Pink, Thanks I have edited my 'typo' Embarassed Excellent link in yor post, makes clear the possibilties for Chalet hotel holidays Sad

When first prevalent in the UK we convinced some colleagues that it was named Norwalk because you couldn't walk far from the loo Shocked
latest report
Let's not forget that when large groups of people from disparate backgrounds come together in a confined space in winter, whilst bringing their children, it would almost be unusual for various viruses not to be spread from one to another. The closed circulation on the plane doesn't help much either, neither does having semi professional, semi trained (for the most part) people preparing the food. It's not food poisoning as such, rather just prime conditions for the spread of viral gastroenteritis.

It doesn't surprise me at all that there are outbreaks in ski resorts at this time, after all there are loads of cases happening at home simultaneously.
snow report
Done lots of chalet holidays. Never had a problem. Never seen a guest with a problem.
snow conditions
Kramer, exactly. Our local surgery sent home a GP reg and the triage nurse this morning. I sent home one of our staff this afternoon.
ski holidays
Hmm, only time in many a year we and another family have been ill, (sounds like a similiar thing) was in Val D'Isere with Mark Warner about 3 or 4 years ago........
snow report
dg3, In fairness to MW this was the only time the food has been dodgy in my experience.
latest report
That'll be the same MW that is advertising in the trade press again this week for Chefs for the Alps.
With an immediate start one presumes Confused
ski holidays
Hmm...am about to book my first trip to french alps for next year...kinda going off the whole idea now Sad
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy