Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best ski centre in Scotland?

Poster: A snowHead
What do you guys think and why?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Whichever one has the best snow and is open.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Glencoe - topic over Wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just the one with the most snow. Check the reports and websites / webcams before you go.

They can be manically busy at weekends, especially Glenshee and Glencoe, being closest to Edinburgh and Glasgow. Expect to queue, get there very early (before they open) to get parking. Or do what we do and just don't go at the weekends at all!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I am a Glencoe fan all the way always have been since a child,I have skied all of the resorts.Glencoe has more of a mountain feel to it than all the others and the skiing can be absolutely amazing after a storm when it falls right mid week top to bottom skiing in a foot or so if fresh snow it's my favorite place of anywhere .
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
wadgebeast wrote:
Just the one with the most snow. Check the reports and websites / webcams before you go.

They can be manically busy at weekends, especially Glenshee and Glencoe, being closest to Edinburgh and Glasgow. Expect to queue, get there very early (before they open) to get parking. Or do what we do and just don't go at the weekends at all!

Weekend busyness eases after half term in my experience, though I've only been up 3 times this season. Worst case is if there's been snow in the central belt and the once-a-year crowd decide that's the weekend to go.

As for best I favour the West areas of Nevis and Glencoe, both stunning locations which often hold a deep snow base in the main gulleys long after it has last snowed, while I know others who prefer the more undulating nature of Glenshee.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
'Best' is very subjective. A foot of powder on a bluebird day is wonderful anywhere. Glencoe does feel a bit more adventuous than the others for some reason.

Credit to GLenshee for putting a new chair in on the Cairnwell. I think that should greatly enhance the experience for those who go. there. Queues used to be dreadful there.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
cameronphillips2000 wrote:
'Credit to GLenshee for putting a new chair in on the Cairnwell. I think that should greatly enhance the experience for those who go. there. Queues used to be dreadful there.

Definitely. Rode the new chair a few times on its first Saturday in use and it really sped up access from car park to that side of the area.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Got to be Glenshee or Glencoe! New chair at Glenshee is great though.

Still some pockets of powder available Smile
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Glenshee. Biggest area, and something for everyone. Might help that the weather has always been kind to me there.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
What about equipment? Worth taking own skis or hire on the way?

Aviemore has decent rental options I'm told!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
wadgebeast wrote:

I must have either been imagining it or in the wrong country yesterday then. Arrived with the wife at Glenshee around 9:30am, got parked fine, kit on, walked to lift pass windows, no queue there at all, walked across road, skis on and straight onto Sunnyside pomas. Skied until 4pm with only a few short queues on busier lifts but never more than 2 or 3 minutes and most of the time it was pretty much ski straight on. Oh, the sun shone most of the day and the pistes were in very good condition too for the most part.

Never going to complain about a new chair going in in Scotland but it does drop you in an 'awkward' position. At the weekend you faced the choice of The Tiger, a very icy and awkward traverse above Claybokie, or a skis off climb up the hump to the top of the Cairnwell T-Bar area. When there's lots more snow though it potentially opens fast access to up a huge area of un-pisted area on the Cairnwell.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ravelin wrote:
wadgebeast wrote:

I must have either been imagining it or in the wrong country yesterday then. Arrived with the wife at Glenshee around 9:30am, got parked fine, kit on, walked to lift pass windows, no queue there at all, walked across road, skis on and straight onto Sunnyside pomas. Skied until 4pm with only a few short queues on busier lifts but never more than 2 or 3 minutes and most of the time it was pretty much ski straight on. Oh, the sun shone most of the day and the pistes were in very good condition too for the most part.

Never going to complain about a new chair going in in Scotland but it does drop you in an 'awkward' position. At the weekend you faced the choice of The Tiger, a very icy and awkward traverse above Claybokie, or a skis off climb up the hump to the top of the Cairnwell T-Bar area. When there's lots more snow though it potentially opens fast access to up a huge area of un-pisted area on the Cairnwell.

Yeah I heard there was pretty much no queues at all over in Glenshee, Brilliant considering the weather was perfect!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cant comment on nevis or glencoe but between the lecht, aviemore/cairngorm and glenshee its glenshee all the way. I have been up the last two Saturdays and found the same as ravelin, parking no problem and very little queues to complain about. I like the location exit of the new chair lift its not the easiest of terrain so limits the queue for the lift. Only issue was the queue in the main café at half 12 but is this really a major problem???
Also a big thumbs up to the glenshee lifties/staff very pleasant and help you when they can.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
As mentioned, all are excellent in good snow - we've had great times at all of them - even The Lecht. So much so that I find it hard to pick a favourite... rolling eyes
- Glencoe - Just has a great, old school, 'proper mountain' feel. Lovely scenery and is trying really hard with its improvements and customer friendly approach. Good terrain too.
- Cairngorm - Long season (often Nov to late Apr); good varied slopes - but can get rather busy.
- Nevis Range - Very under rated IMO. Long runs, great scenery and the legendary Back Corries. Have never seen it very busy or queued very long for lifts.
- Glenshee - My least favourite - but maybe because I have never skied it in epic conditions, which I have done at all the other areas. I also find the runs on Sunnyside to be rather short, at least until you get out to Glas Maol. Still had some good times there though.
- Lecht - Have had some great early season skiing there, once in October and once on 1st Nov - so despite its limited scale, have enjoyed trips there.

In summary - all have pros and cons. Best to try them all and make up your own mind Very Happy.
snow conditions
Nevis and Glencoe are in a league of their own.

Best scenery and steepest slopes.
ski holidays
Braehead has the most reliable weather.
snow report
T Bar wrote:
Braehead has the most reliable weather.

Hahahahaha that's true!

Anyone ever hire gear at these resorts? Equipment at Glenshee and Aviemore is pretty good. Used to be a few places on the way also....
ski holidays
I was at Glenshee yesterday- we arrived about 9:30 and rented their equipment - brand new Salomon x-drive 7.5 skis. But get there early when its not too busy to get the best equipment.
There was no queue at all in the rental shop and we were ready to go really quickly.
As stated up thread, it was a fabulous day to ski there.
snow report
Sounds great!

Might get up to Aviemore at the weekend weather permitting, think it's to get pretty mild!
ski holidays
@Haggis_Trap, Glencoe is pretty awesome....closest to Alpine I think
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy