Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

TR: San Martino Di Castrozza, Trentino Dolomites, Italy (01-06 March 2016)

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone in, near or recently been to San Martino Di Castrozza please?

Big snow rolling through.

Is there a base to cope with the 2m forecast between now and Tuesday?

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/SanMartinoDiCastrozza/6day/top

Looking at arriving on Tuesday, ski wed, thur, fri, sat, leave sunday.

Any recommendations for accommodation?

Looking at
http://www.booking.com/hotel/it/villa-aurora-san-martino-di-castrozza.en-gb.html?label=gen173nr-1DCAEoggJCAlhYSDNiBW5vcmVmaFCIAQGYAS64AQzIAQ_YAQPoAQGoAgM;sid=5cbf51ba1c69d2edfda897dcc8386d93;dcid=4;checkin=2016-03-01;checkout=2016-03-06;dist=0;group_adults=1;group_children=0;no_rooms=1;room1=A;sb_price_type=total;srfid=acba158915121bb80eb3dd4c92a448b21f7d7cf4X8;type=total;ucfs=1&

Thanks in advance Smile

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 3-03-16 15:46; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi,

I was there last week and we had a good half metre during the first part of the week followed by some lovely sunny days and cold nights which would have helped with consolidation of the snowpack. The week before that was when the first real snows arrived so there wasn't really a weak base as in other areas as there just wasn't anything there off the pistes. Avi level was 3 all week while we were there.

From having followed your stuff on here I assume you are after off piste which you should find plenty of and it certainly wasn't too busy at all last week even being half term so you should find plenty of obvious stuff off the main lifts and beyond using maps. Lifts are pretty slow but didn't queue at any point all week.

I'm sure you know how beautiful it is but as a little appetiser there are some holiday pics of mine here http://cheekynorthernmonkey.blogspot.it/
though none really of the skiing as I was just messing about.

We stayed at Residence Lastei and self catered which was fine and I'm afraid I don't know any other options as I had always done day trips when living nearer.

Anything else just give me a shout

Enjoy,
Dan
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You sir are a legend.

Great pics. Many thanks.

Great pics in the other albums too.

Did you just ride SMdC or did you go further afield?

Best lift pass to get?

Thanks.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi mate,

Just stayed local as it was a holiday with my lovely lady so nothing particularly adventurous. I have been around a bit in the area though if anywhere takes your fancy and you want to know more.

Lift pass - I bought days, mornings or points passes according to the weather/mood/conditions etc as I was messing about on lots of different toys and then making sure to spend time with my wife. A day pass is 42euro, mornings and or afternoons are 32euro (08:30 - 12:00 and 12:00 till 16:30) or you can buy a points card (prices escape me) which might work out better value when you know the area you want to play in and if you want to tour off a lift as they are valid over more than one day so much better for a day with limited lift runs.

On another note - If you have a good look back through the blog you might find some inspiration from down in the Appennini if you ever fancy a more central and southern Italian experience though this winter has been hugely dissapointing to date. Lots to go at if you fancy a bit of adventure mind you and great food and empty wilderness a plenty. If it does take your fancy give me a shout ...

Take care and enjoy yourself - it's a pretty magical spot. Try and get a drink of Parampampoli if you can too - though half the fun of it is watching someone else drink it.

Dan
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Brilliant.

Will make a decision later. Trying to get flights. Cheap to Milan. Not so cheap to Venice.

Yeah Sibbilini (sp) has been on my radar for a while.

Thinking next season to tie in with the Wales v Italy rugby Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
In the right conditions the Sibillini are wonderful ( a few pics are in there on the blog somewhere ) with a bit of everything including some serious descents ( Canale Nord di Monte Bove, Pizzo Berro, Il ghiaione sud est e i quarti on Cima del redentore) and some lovely long remote feeling valleys and ridges with views of the Adriatic sea on a good day.

Sibillini also offers amazing food even for Italy ( assuming you eat meat that is )

Easy drive from Rome (2 - 2 1/2 hours) too.

Plenty more mountain options if you are coming from Rome too and I'm happy to help you find stuff (lived here ten years and have been over all the 2000m plus Appennini (245 or them) and made ski/board descents off over half.)

Have fun
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Perfect.

You'll be hearing from me Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Pin pulled.

Bring on the pow Smile
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Pretty reliable local forecast from Veneto Avalanche Service is calling for 60-90cm and locally up to 120-140cm above 1800m in the S Dolomites from this afternoon through to Monday Evening...looking good for some powder up high on Tuesday as long as they get the lifts open??

http://www.arpa.veneto.it/previsioni/it/html/meteo_dolomiti.php
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Great. Thanks.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Latest forecast from ARPAV...from this event (Sat-Mon), they're expecting 60-90cm across the Veneto Dolomites and locally up to 100-120cm in S Dolomites above 1800m.

http://www.arpa.veneto.it/previsioni/it/html/meteo_dolomiti.php

Heaviest precip expected in the Pre-Alps, 150-200mm, but will mostly fall as rain or denser wet snow depending on altitude.

It seems the snowline is expected around 1100-1300m, though it may snow down to 800-900m in some closed valleys, though the highest accumulations will be above 1800m, lower down it will be heavier and wetter and smaller accummulations.

It clears out early on Tues, so should provide fresh powder at altitude in any areas that they can open.

Avalanche risk is rising to Grade 3-4 tomorrow...powder avalanche risk from new snow on all aspects above 1600m....risk of blockage to lines of communication...

http://www.arpa.veneto.it/neve_valanghe/it/html/layoutalpha.php?day=1
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Super.

Skiing Weds-Sat inclusive Smile
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
you got accom booked Mike? Another option could be the MonteRose area judging by the pics in the weather thread!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kitenski wrote:
you got accom booked Mike? Another option could be the MonteRose area judging by the pics in the weather thread!

Yes. The place in the original post.

Skied Monte Rosa many moons ago. Was looking for somewhere new with good treeline skiing for when it's dumping.

Thanks though.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
TR: San Martino Di Castrozza, Trentino Dolomites, Italy (March 2016)

On the recommendation of a friend who'd recently boarded nearby at Corvara; an article in Fall Line Skiing magazine where Editor-in-Chief Dickie Fincher had extolled the virtues of San Martino Di Castrozza; and a very healthy forecast of 1m+ of new snowfall from Snow Forecast I made a last minute decision to head to the Dolomites.

http://www.sanmartino.com/

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/SanMartinoDiCastrozza/6day/top

I'd previously worked in the Val Zoldana area of Civetta but hadn't had the opportunity to ski the more challenging terrain the area is renowned for.

The plan, tied in with the weather forecast, was to ski solo on the Wednesday and Thursday and then try to get on a tour with guide Francesco Tremolada on the Friday and/or Saturday.

http://proguide.it/

TUESDAY 01 MARCH 2016

Travel day.

Caught the Cardiff Airport bus from Cardiff Train Station, Wales at 07.41 - a bargain at £8 return - and 50 minutes later I was having a coffee in the departure lounge. The benefit of flying from a regional airport.

I flew with FlyBe direct to Milan Malpensa and even paying for the added baggage allowance of 20kg the return journey cost only £176.28

First time with FlyBe. Very impressed. Even got us there 40 mins early!

Picked up my rental car from Sicily by Car - £134 for 5-days rental all in - and then made my way to San Martino Di Castrozza.

http://www.autoeuropa.it/newae/index_new.aspx

Passed Lake Garda and Monte Baldo at sunset and got to Hotel Villa Aurora just after 21.00

They'd finished serving dinner so I walked 5 mins back into the centre of town and had two glasses of red, bruscheta, chicken cotolette and a bottle of mineral water at El Barisel.

Great food & drink in a snug little bar. All for £17.

Hotel Villa Aurora is excellent. Massive room with balcony looking out to the Rosetta ski area and free off-road parking.

5-nights B&B accommodation for £200.00 (booked through booking.com)

http://www.hotelvillaurora.it/
snow report
WEDNESDAY 02 MARCH 2016

Woke bright and early for a 07.30 buffet breakfast. Wide variety of items on offer, unlimited quantities. Very, very good.

With clear skies and no wind and the forecast of low visibilty and heavy snow for Wednesday night through to Thursday afternoon I drove the short distance to the Rosetta section of the San Martino - Passo Rolle Ski Area.

View of the Rosetta area from my balcony at the Hotel Villa Aurora

2 lifts (gondola and cable car), 2 pisted runs and access to a lifetime of lift-accessed and touring terrain.

Rosetta Lift Ticket £17

A Dream Of You And Me

http://youtube.com/v/fBZDcrkCazA

Bottom station of the Rosetta cable car

Non-skiing tourists taking pictures of people skiing the main 'route' off the top station of the Rosetta cable car

The view of San Martino Di Castrozza town from the top station of the Rosetta cable car

I did two laps down the main 'route' from the top station of the Rosetta Cable Car (2600m) back to the car park. A very mixed bag of boot top powder, wind slab, sun crust and bulletproof piste.

Didn't see a soul both runs.

Certainly got me warmed up!

Took both lifts to the top again and hiked to the summit of Rosetta (2743m)

The San Martino cross at the summit of Rosetta (2743m)

Cimon della Pala (3184m) and Dente del Cimone (2680m) from the summit of Rosetta (2743m)

View from the summit of Rosetta (2743m)

The summit of Rosetta (2743m) and the top station of the Rosetta cable car

I skied down to Rifugio Rosetta G. Pedrotti and had a look at the lines dropping into the north facing terrain, but as I was travelling solo I traversed back around and dropped into the bowl skiers right of the main 'route' off the top station of the Rosetta cable car

The cliff face at the end of the bowl skiers right of the main 'route'

Untracked toe to boot top powder down to the cliff face and then a skin back up to the drop in point. Worth every step. Best snow of the day by a mile.

Cimon della Pala (3184m)

Below the Rosetta cable car

After the day's exertions I had dinner at Pizzeria La vecchia Fornace. Great restaurant with excellent food and service.

Deep fried stuffed olives, Paesana pizza - roast pork & mushroom - large heferweizen, mineral water and espresso for £18

It started snowing as I entered the restaurant and when I left there was already 5cm on the ground.

THURSDAY 03 MARCH 2016

Unfortunately the forecasted snow - anyone's guess how much but easily 30cm - came with unforecasted wind which closed all the lifts in the area for the day.

The snow and wind stopped around 16.00 in the village and the peaks are just starting to poke through the mist.

Friday is set clear and calm, so fingers crossed that the powder hasn't been hammered to submission.
snow report
Excellent vid Mike. Just got into Corvara it is chucking it down. Drove over the 2100m pass from Val Gardena, that was tricky! The lifts were all working when we can down, so let's hope for good week.
snow report
Excellent vid Mike. Just got into Corvara it is chucking it down. Drove over the 2100m pass from Val Gardena, that was tricky! The lifts were all working when we can down, so let's hope for good week.
snow report
Cheers.

It got deeper each run today. Face shots at 4 are always a bonus.

You'll have an excellent week.
snow report
Beautiful photos @Mike Pow, I have always liked the Pala but never been there in winter. I think San Martino is probably the poshest town I have ever been to. Never seen so many 5* hotels in one place, but there are reasnonbly priced ones as well. Oddly when we were last there almost 2 years ago the finance police were everywhere - checking VAT receipts for every purchase. Does it have a reputation?
latest report
johnE wrote:
Beautiful photos @Mike Pow, I have always liked the Pala but never been there in winter. I think San Martino is probably the poshest town I have ever been to. Never seen so many 5* hotels in one place, but there are reasnonbly priced ones as well. Oddly when we were last there almost 2 years ago the finance police were everywhere - checking VAT receipts for every purchase. Does it have a reputation?

Not sure and couldn't find anything out
ski holidays
THURSDAY 03 MARCH 2016 UPDATE

Whilst I was clearing the day's snow from my car the sun made a brief but spectacular appearance, setting the Dolomites on fire.

Cima Val di Roma (2791m) from my balcony at Hotel Villa Aurora

Cimon della Palla (3184m) from my balcony at Hotel Villa Aurora

ski holidays
@Mike Pow, gorgeous! Very Happy
snow report
Hurtle wrote:
@Mike Pow, gorgeous! Very Happy

Thanks. It was.
latest report
FRIDAY 04 MARCH 2016

Friday morning dawned bright & shiny with a fresh coat of snow across the San Martino - Passo Rolle Ski Area.

With an avalanche risk of 4 out of 5, the Fratazza trees in the Tognola area were the choice for the am.

Fratazza Trees And Beyond

http://youtube.com/v/hK6-wXH2Wpc

The Pala di San Martino panorama

The Rosetta Ski Area, home to Wednesday's turns

Cima Val di Roda (2791m)

After a morning skiing the trees it was time to ski the bowl skier's left of the Cristiana red run

Lunch was pasta di giorno - fusili with sausage & mushrooms - and sparkling water for 10 euros at Malga Valcigolera Rifugio Alpino at the base of the Coston and Valcigolera lifts. Great food with tremendous views.

Fantastic day.
latest report
@Mike Pow, Great reports and photos. Thanks for sharing.
snow report
cad99uk wrote:

My pleasure. Thanks for commenting.
ski holidays
cad99uk wrote:
+1 Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Mike Pow, great videos. GoPro? How do you have that music with the video on YouTube without copyright issue?
ski holidays
Themasterpiece wrote:
@Mike Pow, great videos. GoPro? How do you have that music with the video on YouTube without copyright issue?

Thanks.

Sony FDR100v

Just chance my arm. Sometimes it gets blocked. If so, I do a different song.
snow conditions
SATURDAY 05 MARCH 2016

It started snowing over breakfast and by lunchtime I was getting 'free refills' in the old growth forest off the Fratazza lift in the Tognola area.

The snow was a little wet, but the pitch in the trees made it easy to let them run.

Snorkel Saturday - Fratazza Trees

http://youtube.com/v/6zi__yV99VI

After a shocker 90 mins clearing snow and putting chains on the car as snow dropped out of the sky, I showered up and headed to Ranch, The Dolomites Bar.

For the third night in a row!

If you're lucky you get to visit a fantastic ski area with fantastic snow conditions and at day's end find yourself in a bar where the welcome is warm, the fod is hot and the drinks are cold.

Ranch is that bar, and some.

In what couldn't be a more picture postcard Dolomiti village, Ranch is a beacon of the awesome and the absurd. In equal measures.

A Wild West bar run by a native San Martino boy; saddles instead of stools; both types of music playing over the speakers; chicken wings, burgers and ribs on the menu; and the finest collection of gin & grappa I've had the pleasure to 'work' my way through.

The proprietor Loris is a true gent whose love of Americana and the West since a child takes him out to the States each summer to bring back more and more memories and experiences.

I cannot recommend it more highly. A must visit.

Ranch, The Dolomites Bar

Loris pouring a glass of the finest gin I've ever tasted - Original Roby Marton

So good you can drink it neat
http://www.robymarton.com/

United We Stand

Trentino grappa

My favourite, grappa with bergamot

Saddle up!

Anna mixing cocktails

----------

SUNDAY 06 MARCH 2016

Thank goodness I put my chains on last night.

Another 30-40 cm overnight and the car was buried again.

Set off at 6.15 and got to Milan Malpensa airport at 11.45

The first part of the drive down the mountain was slow going, but after I took the chains off it was a breeze.

In retrospect flying into Innsbruck, Verona or Venice would be a better call but the flight times and days didn't work out for this trip.

Would halve the travel time between airport and resort compared with Milan Malpensa.

SUMMARY

I had a ball on my 6-day trip to San Martino Di Castrozza - 2 days travel, 4 days in resort - and can't recommend it highly enough

Fantastic terrain

Snow-forecast.com delivered
Snowfall before I arrived; three big snow events during my stay; two bluebird powder days; one over the head powder day

No lift lines

Wide variety of accommodation at all price points

Plenty of restaurants and bars on mountain and for apres & dinner

Great food & drink

Very welcoming people

Very good value for money

Costs

Bus from Cardiff Train Station to Cardiff airport £8.00
Flight £176.28
5-days car hire £134.00
Petrol £53.00
Tolls £25.44
5-nights B&B Accommodation at Hotel Villa Aurora £200.00
Lift Pass £81.72
Food & drink £143.00

Total £821.44 / 1066 euros / US$ 1,168.33 / AUD$ 1,561.14 for 6 days (3 days skiing)

To convert to your currency please use this link
http://www.xe.com/

Travelling as a pair would reduce these costs significantly -

shared cost of car hire, petrol and tolls
single room rate was £40 per night, shared room was £27.50 per person per night
ski holidays
@Mike Pow, superb report. Thank you! Very Happy
snow report
My pleasure. Thanks for reading and commenting.

Great area. Highly recommended.
snow conditions
As usual and from whereever - nice. Very Happy
snow conditions
Great read and lovely photos, thanks!
latest report
Thanks @Hyst and @catclaires.

Flying into Innsbruck on Sunday (13th) and the Dolomites seems to have the best snow conditions and the greatest chance of new snow next week.

So back to San Martino Di Costrazza or maybe Selva Val Gardena or Corvara.

This is a great read

Powder Magazine: Super Season - A Record Winter in Italy's Dolomites
https://issuu.com/powderflipbook/docs/powder_dolomites_final
snow conditions
This is indeed a great read with some lovely photos to back it up. What was the camera you used for the still shots?
snow report
Great report, Mike. Thanks for posting. Another destination on my list.
snow report
@Mike Pow, just had chance to view this. Great pics and a good story, thanks!
latest report
My pleasure @slushy and @stevew
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy