Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recommendations On A Resort France

Poster: A snowHead
Hello everyone, new member here and a total ski novice! Currently working with a bloke at work that has done a fair few ski trips and we've been thinking about getting something booked for next year. Never skied in my life but its always something id wanted to try. ITs been 8 years since my friend so we were looking for a few recommendations on a resort in france! were looking at traveling by train. My friend is looking for a resort with accommodation on the ski slope and with plenty of places to eat and drink in the area! personally I'm not sure what I'm looking for so i thought id join up here and listen to people who have actually been. Thanks in advance.
Look forward to your replies.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
why france if its your first ever trip austria would be my advice, having been to both with beginers more of the ones who started in austria are still skiing
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi mate, the only preference to the trip is that we will be traveling by train. France being fairly close made this our first choice. If Austria is a similar journey time there is no preference on where we go. Thanks
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Start here:

http://www.snowcarbon.co.uk/

Then try here:

http://www.seat61.com/

And read this at your leisure:

http://smbt.g-r-c.fr/userfile/file/1442566235_GuideNeige_2015-BD.pdf
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ANYWHERE in France. It's got everything.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@DannyScFc93,
What time of the season are you planning on going and are you using the snow train or do you particularly enjoy travelling by train?
The snow Train has a relatively small number of destinations whereas there are quite a few resorts with stations nearby. How long they take to get to from the UK I don't know as I don't travel this way, editing your title and sticking by train into it might get a few replies from those who use it more regularly.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Not sure should i get local or area pass for passo tonale Italy, we ski / board but have note been for the last two years
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@tonyevans,
Welcome to snowHeads but I'm not quite sure that this thread is the best place to answer your query.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Our first ski holiday was to Montgenevre - fond memories of it and a resort I would recommend.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@DannyScFc93, welcome to snowHeads. If definitely wanting rail travel then France probably easier to get journey done with few changes. Wouldn't rule out Austria though as rail travel fine with planning and flexibility.
Maybe shouldn't forget little places like Switzerland or Italy either, where they have a few mountains and trains??

Questions. When could you go? Can you avoid peak holiday periods, ie Christmas, February and Easter? If so it makes it easier to wait and see where good enough snow conditions are. That's important. By going in January or March you could save a lot of money and avoid peak crowds and queues.
What sort of accommodation do you have in mind? Chalethotel with most food/drink included? Hotel with B&B or Half Board? Self catering apartment then mostly eating out (which you seem to imply).
Are you looking to get really good value or not overly bothered about overall cost?

Deciding those sort of things would make it easier for snowHeads to advise I think.
Well worth good research and planning because your first winter sports holiday should be really exciting and memorable!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Hi mate, the only preference to the trip is that we will be traveling by train

see my TR on Les Contamines by train - St Gervais would also be a good option.
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=123857
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@DannyScFc93, There are a lot of other questions to be asked other than just going by train. I suspect there are at least a hundred resorts accessible by train if you allow for bus connections at either end and the budget varies from the glamorous such as st Moritz and Zermat to the more mudance such as Le Grand Bornand. I have friends who have even gone to Andora by train and to the best of my knowledge there are no railway lines in Andora.

My general suggestion is to look very seriously at Les Arcs. Arc 1800 is probably best for a total beginner but you will have to get the navette for the last couple of km from the head of the funicular to 1800
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@DannyScFc93, I was in exactly the same situation as you nearly 25 years ago, recently posted in the thread "first ever ski holiday". I was charged with arranging a holiday for one other complete beginner like me, and 2 other experienced skiers, and this was pre-internet (therefore easy research) days. All done via travel agent brochures and teletext, somehow plumped for val thorens with skiworld, via the now defunct overnight disco/ski train.

it led to an obsession of skiing that has lasted to this day, including working for a few seasons in nearby meribel, am off next week for the first time in 10 years with our children (its been 10 years because of having children!!!!)

can thoroughly recommend VT for beginners as well as experienced skiers, you can do the direct Eurostar to moutier or other train options from paris, then transfer up to the resort. all of this can be easily arranged D.I.Y if you wish, instead of tour operator.

as other contributors have mentioned the cost really depends on when you choose to go, school holidays can be eye watering expensive, though saying that when we went first time it coincided with the winter Olympics in Albertville, and for some reason we managed to bag a bargain.

am sure wherever you choose you will have a great time, would advise getting some lessons on a dry slope/indoor slope before you go if you can, as putting on concrete boots and two planks of wood, or one large one if you start of on the dark side (snowboarding), takes some getting used to!!!

happy searching
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
To be honest, most people fall in love with the first ski resort they visit. Mountains, covered in snow that you can slide down on planks, plenty of food and alcohol - you can't really go wrong. It;s only after going to a few resorts you realise some have more white bits, steepe white bits, better food, cheaper alcohol that choice becomes important. If you're in good company, you'll have a great time whatever. French resorts are the best bet for a train. If you're desperate for great food and drink, good value and nice beginner slopes then Italy is hard ot beat.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Check out snowcarbon.co.uk. There's loads of info about skiing by train.

Also I've often found that Skiworld packages including the supplement for the train can be just as cheap as DIY.
ski holidays
I have been to at least 10 French resorts by train over the years.

Val Thorens or Courchevel are probably the places that would match your friend's criteria.

My recommendation would be Montgenevre as it is excellent for beginners but you would have to change trains in Paris. If you'd rather take the Direct Eurostar I would suggest going to Les Arcs.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy