Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lockwoods - Recommendations or opinions

Poster: A snowHead
After a few years using hire boots I am hoping to get some Ski Boots this weekend. Based in North Warwickshire my research points towards Lockwoods in Leamington Spa being close (ish - 35-40 mins away) and offering a proper fitting service.

Have any of you SHs used them and do you recommend them. I was looking at CEM (forumite) but its about a 2 hour drive and you need an appointment.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Mike-H, we have been in CEM's place when he has sent customers on to Lockwoods if he didn't have the right boot. And good service from them just recently when my OH found that the boot warmers that he uses in the back of the car weren't in our chalet. Think they are probably in his old car, which is now my car, back in the garage at home, so he got in touch with Lockwoods and they sent some to him very quickly.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Mike-H, I used to live round the corner from them.

Me, my Dad, my Mum and my sister all got boots from them.

Despite all getting subsequent tweaks, my Dad was the only one who ended up happy with the fit. Others might say that's on us for not giving good enough feedback to the fitter; they may well be right, but as it was the first time buying boots for all of us our knowledge of what sort of feedback to give was directly related to the fitters guidance...

I haven't been there for years now so things might well have changed, but I generally found them to be more expensive than lots of other places too, with a pretty poor range (in terms of ski kit generally, they had a reasonable range of boots).
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Mike-H, Got the boots before my current ones from Lockwoods. They spent quite a while measuring and choosing the right boot, and I went away pleased. However, as the liner packed out they became a less good fit (I ski all year on dendix so use them a lot), so after two years I went to Solutions for Feet, where Colin fitted me comfortably (well after a while) in a size smaller, and with these I have replaced the liners with Zipfits when they packed out, and they are now in their fifth year.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Mike-H, I never bought ski boots from them, but they always appeared very professional, for whatever else I purchased, both in store and on line.

However, that depends on whether the staff have changed significantly. They also offer a decent discount if you are a SCUK member.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ignorant staff who think the world ends at Watford Gap.
Appalling service - just prey there's nothing wrong with anything you purchase from them.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you want boots at this time of year, arrive early. They get busy and operate a queing system later in the morning.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Got a previous pair of boots from them, had no problems and had a new pair of liners from them a few years later. In the summer I bought a bargain (which i wanted, old stock) pair of touring boots from them. They actually had 3 different pairs in the sort of price range I wanted and went out of their way to get and post to me alpine soles too.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
hmm. Some mixed opinions. I do not have time to get to Colin and back at the weekend. Kids and commitments. I wont get to Lockwoods on Saturday until after midday. Not sounding great.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Mike-H, I've always had good knowledgable service. Maybe make an appointment.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@jbob, Apparently its a deli ticket style service. First come, first served.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've bought boots from Lockwoods, albeit a few years ago, and was very happy with the service. I booked a mid-week appointment and the best fitting boots were a "last season" pair which they gave a generous discount on. IIRC, the fitting took about an hour and a half. I've since replaced these boots but am still using the Sidas insoles that I got at Lockwood. Based on my experience, I would recommend them.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I found them fine, I have been back and had new liners fitted after a few years. Very professional and a completely satisfied customer here.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've had 2 pairs fitted from there and both had no problems from start to finish.
I went in the week though both times while it was quiet(er)
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
. . .I live round the corner . . .service can be hit and miss - I actually enjoy the mild snobbiness of the owners as it makes me laugh . . .they work in a shop!

The techies however are consistently good - ski servicing and knowledge are excellent - never had boots fitted but a mate has done so recently and was pleased with the outcome . . .expensive but better than S&R . . .barter at the till for amusement value if nothing else / flash your SCGB card for added scowls! Laughing
snow report
I won't go there again- ski boots I got from Lockwoods were too big and flex too low: CEM is much much better.
Ski techs are useless- perform base grinds unnecessarily and don't sharpen the edges: go to the Piste Office to have the job done properly.
ski holidays
@Mike-H, went there as part of a Snowheads day out. Bought boots, and got discount on skis as a result.
Thought they were very good - but there were a number of guest 'celebrity' boot fitters present (CEM & the SmallZooKeeper to the fore if I recall) which obviously helped.

Took daughter back couple of years later, not so impressed. Only one boot in her approximate size, tried too hard to sell it to us, rather than sending away with proper advice.
There's better out there.

(note to self - time to revisit Bicester...)
latest report
@Dr Rock, @Arctic Roll,

Thanks. I think I'll take a day off and head to Bicester. I'll give CEM a shout on the message.
snow report
I grew up round the corner from Lockwoods (many years ago), and have to agree about their attitude. I always found them dismissive to the point of rudeness. Because of this I stopped going. I popped in a few times more recently, when my brother in law lived nearby, and even as a middle aged punter (who surely they'd be keen to court?) they were no better. Personally I'd thoroughly recommend Solutions 4 Feet for boots and The Piste Office for most everything else. It's all about knowledge, skill and customer service. Those two businesses excel in all three!
snow report
OK. Not looking like I can book with Colin (CEM) as he is busy (good for Colin) and I'm stuck at work for a few weeks.

Any other recommendations for good ski boot fitter in or around The Midlands?
latest report
I used to live in around the corner too, and completely agree with some of the comments on here regarding snobbishness and attitude of the staff. Also I took two pairs of skis in for a binding check (something S&R do for free) and was charged 15quid for each pair when I picked them up, there was nothing mentioned about cost prior to pick up. I also find that they often pimp old stock at current year prices. Pleased to say I no longer live in the area!

Personally I have, and will always buy boots in resort.
ski holidays
@FastCarver74, did you originally purchase the ski's from lockwoods? If not why on earth would they give you work for nothing?

I am baffled by some of these comments.
latest report
Quote:

I am baffled by some of these comments.

I'm not. Each time I go back I'm reminded of why I stopped going in the first place. I don't know what their boot fitting is like, but the last ski service I had there (however many years ago), was what prompted me to start doing my own!
snow report
@northantsred, Many times I have taken my skis to S&R for a free safety binding check.
latest report
I had 1 pair of boots fitted at Lockwoods and they weren't anything special. Quite a few years ago though (2006). Shame you can't get Colin to do it. I don't know anywhere else locally, so Lockwoods may be your best bet despite the mixed reviews.
snow report
Mike-H wrote:
OK. Not looking like I can book with Colin (CEM) as he is busy (good for Colin) and I'm stuck at work for a few weeks.

Any other recommendations for good ski boot fitter in or around The Midlands?

Mike-H, don't forget that boot fitting often takes more than one visit. Many people need to go back to get their boots tweaked, often more than once. If your boot fitter is local (mine is about a mile from where I live) popping back for these adjustments is much less hassle.
ski holidays
@sugarmoma666, I am now considering getting a pair on my next trip to Morzine in 3 weeks. My thinking is that if I have any problems I can go back to shop during the week. Hoping that a week of skiing should identify any tweaks needed before I fly home.
latest report
I bought a pair of Salomon approach shoes from them in November and they were super professional, measured my feet and asked very skilled questions to ensure I was happy. And if i wasn't i could have taken them back.

I was very impressed, indeed.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mike-H wrote:
@sugarmoma666, I am now considering getting a pair on my next trip to Morzine in 3 weeks. My thinking is that if I have any problems I can go back to shop during the week. Hoping that a week of skiing should identify any tweaks needed before I fly home.

I think that's a good idea, but there are downsides too. For a start I would take your old boots as a back-up plan. I had my current pair of boots fitted in resort by a well respected fitter and it went pretty well. But they can take a few days to bed in properly and the boot fit itself will take a good few hours if done properly and you may well need to go back for adjustments. It's not something you want to rush. We were in resort for a month so that wasn't a big deal, but I'd be a bit wary if you are only skiing for 5 or 6 days. You could lose a lot of time in the process.

In your shoes (excuse the pun) I'd probably go to Lockwoods, but call a few weeks ahead to make an appointment with the most experienced fitter (whoever that is there).
ski holidays
Don't have any boots. This will be my first pair.

Arrive lunchtime sat. Plan was to go straight for fitting. Give up the afternoon and get on the snow Sunday. If tweaks needed pop back to shop. Happy to lose sat afternoon.

If Lockwoods need adjustments after a few hours skiing I'll have to live with it or hire some.
ski holidays
@uktrailmonster,

+1
snow report
Got some new liners from them for Atomic Hawx and found them very helpful.
ski holidays
I have bought boots, skis and other bits and pieces from them and have always been very happy with the service. My most recent skis from them were all mountain skis. I had no real idea what I should be looking for so I went in about four times and discussed with different staff what I was after. The staff either proved to be very knowledgeable or passed me onto somebody who was. Certainly no BSing. In the end I got some Head Ventura 95's and they are brilliant.

They spent some time fitting my boots to get it right. If you find they are not quite right they will put it right with no fuss. Nobody knows how well boots fit until you have skied on them, so Lockwoods will sort them out all be it for next year, when you get back.

If you are a member of certain things like the Midland's Ski Club you may find that you can get a discount on purchases.

On the subject of boots, whatever you do to obtain them, rent, buy, take some some padding when you go skiing in case they prove a problem. I have funny feet with big ankles so I have some pads made out of an old mouse mat that I put in my instep. This year I have had Lockwoods stretch my boot shells to make way for my ankles so I will report back when I have tried them out.

In the past with rented boots I found that strips of chewing gum still wrapped were very effective as padding around the pressure points. A strip would last for at least half the week.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy