Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lift the heel when turning...???

Poster: A snowHead
I had a private lesson recently out in Austria: not terribly successful as the Instructor's English was a bit limited when it came to trying to understand or explain the nuances. Whilst I think that I've now 'translated' most of what I was advised, one thing which still doesn't make sense was - whilst doing both wide and short carving/edge-rolling turns down a fairly steep slope - "lift your heels as you make the turn".
I've just spent a lot of money getting my boots sorted so that my heels don't lift!!! Sad
So, any ideas as to what this means? I felt balanced whilst executing the turns, maybe struggling to get the knees forward and far enough over into the hill as she wanted but I felt weighted over the arches to mild balls of feet. I don't think that she meant lean forward more or bend knees, etc: it was a definite "lift your heels". Puzzled
Thanks in advance.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not sure if it's the same thing but the first lesson I had for parallel turning, the instructor taught us to slightly raise the back of the inside/uphill ski when turning. If turning right, raise the back of the right ski and if turning left raise the back of the left ski. I could do it turning right but not left. I also think it was one of the worst things I was taught as I kept trying to do it and it took quite a while to get out of the habit.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

turns down a fairly steep slope - "lift your heels as you make the turn".

I think it's the steepness of the slope that might have been behind this. I think the basic concept is that its a level up from unweighting the skis to get them turned quickly to avoid picking up too much speed while pointing downhill.

I'm sure one of our resident instructors can be clearer than I can.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
as for lifting the heel, they dont mean inside your boot ...

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 25-01-16 16:04; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There's a frequently used drill that involved lifting the tail of the inside ski as you start the turn, although not sure if that is what your instructor was referring to. But this is a drill, and not a tactic/skill that should be developed for regular skiing.

Perhaps your instructor was trying to convey a sense of being well balanced on the outside ski, so the insid ski feels light? Sort of a version of Harb's (controversial) phantom move?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Maybe he was subtly suggesting that you should try telemarking? wink Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Alastair Pink, Laughing
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Are you sure it was both heels?

http://youtube.com/v/Kpl3KeUi7wA

Was it steep and bumpy?

http://youtube.com/v/-WWkKOSoYEs
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
limegreen1 wrote:

OK, not being silly, but how do you do it otherwise? I tense my appropriate leg muscle and the back end of my foot comes up, and it is encased within this big plasticcy shell thing on the end of the leg! Confused
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Am I sure that it was both heels? No. Not sure of quite a lot of what I was bring told... Sad

Was it steep and bumpy? Good long Austrian red, cutting through and trying to navigate around a mixture of chopped-up softish piles of new snow on top of artifical hardpacky ice (so, yes, pretty bumpy).

Thanks for the vid clips - can't get my computer to do the sound at the moment but I'll have a look this evening - but that dolphin turn thing looks as if it might well kinda make sense.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Grizzler wrote:
limegreen1 wrote:

OK, not being silly, but how do you do it otherwise? I tense my appropriate leg muscle and the back end of my foot comes up, and it is encased within this big plasticcy shell thing on the end of the leg! Confused

ie... because your boots fit nicely when you lift your heels it lifts the ski.... not your heel within the boot.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
As others have posted, I think your instructor is saying to lift the back of your inside -soon to become the new uphill- ski at the start of the turn. ie you lift the ski, not your heel inside the boot.

Before the start of a new turn, your weight is on the downhill ski. To initiate the turn you need to transfer your weight to the current uphill ski, which during the turn is on the outside and eventually becomes your new downhill ski. Lifting your heel encourages you to take the weight off the inside ski and also to change edges. Harald Harb calls it "phantom edging".

Here is quite an old video from Lito Tejada-Flores that elaborates the point.

http://youtube.com/v/D30kkyhnwBU
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I guess it's to make sure that ALL you weight is on that outside ski. It's a drill, as noted above. I find it useful sometimes, if I'm skiing badly or vis is bad etc to do a few turns like that just to dial myself back in. If you can do it one side but not the other that's telling you something important!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
chomski wrote:
As others have posted, I think your instructor is saying to lift the back of your inside -soon to become the new uphill- ski at the start of the turn. ie you lift the ski, not your heel inside the boot.

Before the start of a new turn, your weight is on the downhill ski. To initiate the turn you need to transfer your weight to the current uphill ski, which during the turn is on the outside and eventually becomes your new downhill ski. Lifting your heel encourages you to take the weight off the inside ski and also to change edges. Harald Harb calls it "phantom edging".

Here is quite an old video from Lito Tejada-Flores that elaborates the point.

http://youtube.com/v/D30kkyhnwBU

This is very old style. Some people still do it even with carving skis....soooooo not necessary.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
When learning on huge long straight skis, one of our excersises was to ski on the down hill ski while lifting the uphill ski completely, then we would start just lifting the tail of the uphill ski. So when I started carving it was natural to lift the heel as you say and it will indeed help to turn the ski, I suppose when you are just doing it you don't realise you are doing it so it is hard to explain, but the first video posted by DB is what I am trying to explain. I think over thinking each move can lead to confusion.
snow conditions
mayr wrote:

This is very old style. Some people still do it even with carving skis....soooooo not necessary.

Yeah, took me a while to kick that old habit.
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
Sort of a version of Harb's (controversial) phantom move?

Why was HH's Phantom Move controversial?
ski holidays
Let's be clear, both skis should normally be in contact with the snow during turns and heels should be firmly in the rear of your boots without lifting from the footbed..

The lifting of any ski is usually part of an exercise.

Modern ski instruction drills may include the lifting of the rear of the uphill or inside ski, while the tip remains on the snow. There are others which involve lifting the front of the ski too but this is not in question here.

The preference to lift the rear of the ski rather than the front is because by lifting the front or whole of the ski usually encourages the skier to stand tall or rearwards, and creates a bigger problem. Lifting the rears helps the skier to become better balanced und mehr sportlich wink

I suspect what the instructor was trying to improve was engaging the new edges earlier by increasing pressure on the ski tips, and rather than directing the skier to pressure the front of the ski more, they suggested making the rear of the ski lighter *

Often it can give better results to give an opposite of what is needed. eg if wanting to encourage a skier to pressurise the outer ski more during a turn, an instruction may be given to make the inner ski lighter. The results are the same, but the skier may find making one ski lighter easier than trying to press down on something that is already on the snow.

* It is difficult to comment on what another instructor may have said or may have meant though.
snow report
shiva_71 wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
Sort of a version of Harb's (controversial) phantom move?

Why was HH's Phantom Move controversial?
Because most instructors don't like it. I certainly don't. Promotes too narrow a platform, excessive reliance on one ski, unnecessary challenges to lateral balance at transition and encourages skiers to be a "one-trick pony" (the trick being pretty turns on easy pistes in good snow conditions). Some people have argued the the PMTS promoted by Harald Harb is more about trying to create a unique identity for his style of teaching than promoting good, versatile skiing.
snow report
Grizzler wrote:
Am I sure that it was both heels? No. Not sure of quite a lot of what I was bring told... Sad

Was it steep and bumpy? Good long Austrian red, cutting through and trying to navigate around a mixture of chopped-up softish piles of new snow on top of artifical hardpacky ice (so, yes, pretty bumpy).

Thanks for the vid clips - can't get my computer to do the sound at the moment but I'll have a look this evening - but that dolphin turn thing looks as if it might well kinda make sense.

Yes sounds like she was talking about dolphin turns rather than lifting the tail of just the inside side.

Here are another couple of videos showing how dolphin turns are used in variable terrain

Bumps

http://youtube.com/v/r8_c3le3XNI

Powder

http://youtube.com/v/lc083HMzZmA
snow report
Dolphin turns - interesting. Never heard of that. Love skiing the bumps so keen to give it a try.
snow conditions
I think @mayr makes a valid point. Although your instructor might not have explained things overly clearly, I think she was probably trying to get you more centrally balanced on your skis. It's a common drill that they use.
snow report
My advice is:
Keep both skis on the snow and get an English speaking Instructor next time. Very Happy simples
snow report
mayr wrote:
I suspect what the instructor was trying to improve was engaging the new edges earlier by increasing pressure on the ski tips, and rather than directing the skier to pressure the front of the ski more, they suggested making the rear of the ski lighter *

I agree. I don't think the instructor was trying to get the pupil to literally lift their heel out of their boot or the rear of their ski clear of the snow.

Rather going through the motion as if you are lifting your heel will naturally put more pressure on the toes/balls of feet and move weight forwards, which I imagine was what they were trying to achieve.
snow conditions
Email the instructor n send em a link to this thread rolling eyes
Sorted
snow conditions
I think that it means only this:

http://youtube.com/v/AUAOFTB4OBc

even if you do not do a phantom move.
you can need it for better balance on the outside ski