Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Via Lattea 15/16

Poster: A snowHead
27 lifts open again this morning and am surprised to read that the avalanche level is 3.

Fingers crossed for the next few days.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just had my first days skiing in Sauze. I can tell you that there definitely isn't 27 lifts open, well not in Sauze, that must be the ViaLattea overall - no links makes all the difference! There are basically 4 or 5 plus a couple of nursery escalators in Sauze. Sestriere is better with 8 runs open and Montegenevre better still with 15 runs. The tour operators are doing coach trips to both but they are €20. There is also a trip to Serre Che but that is €65 as you also need a day pass.

Snow conditions aren't great, very rough and chopped up by midday but still skiable. It's snowed most of the day at altitude which will have added a bit but as it's very wet snow due to the warm temps it's probably not going to make much difference. It snowed hard yesterday afternoon even in the village but all that has gone now and the resort runs are looking a bit bare in places.

So basically it's not great if you stay in Sauze but if you are willing to travel and pay you should get some more skiing in. Plus as today was busy due to it being Sunday then hopefully the skiing here should be better.

Looking at the conditions at the top I'd say it will need a fair old dump of snow to make any difference, I can't see the connection to Sestriere being open this week either way. There doesn't seem to be much work going on to open other runs up, you can see the pistes but there just doesn't look to be enough snow on them to start bashing.

Sorry it's not a better story but that's the way it is I'm afraid! I've skied most of the day and enjoyed it so that's the important bit. More snow is due and it's also going to get a lot colder in a day or two so things can only get better. I'll post another report later in the week if - if anyone want to hear it!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Useful info, thanks! Doesnt sound too great though ha. Are there cannons on any of the runs that are not open ? This cold spell coming would help in that aspect but at the same time it looks like there wont be much snow falling from 18/01/16 onwards for a while (long way away though so hopefully that changes). Im really hoping this 30-40 cm forecast this week really materialises and maybe even exceeds!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
japes1275, thanks for the info, and please, keep it coming, I want to hear it!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@japes1275, thanks for the info - keep the posts coming.

Scheduled to be out there the first week of March, presumably full coverage by then, but thinking I'd better hire a car, just in case... can always cancel
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@japes1275, Thanks for the update.Always good to have real info from someone who is actually there. My comment earlier did refer to 27 lifts open over the whole of The Milky Way. It seems like there is going to be a reasonable top up tomorrow and Tuesday and much lower temps from Tuesday onwards so maybe the snow cannons will help the situation a little.
As soon as I've posted this I'm going outside to do a snow (think dad) dance on our decking for you and me. We're off to Sauze a week today. Hope things improve for you, I think they might, have an ace time! sb
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@japes1275, Oh,and if conditions change,wouldhugely appreciate an update if you have time and or internet access, cheers.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@japes1275 thanks - hope you are too busy skiing to have time to post - but if you do then a few very interested readers here snowHead
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I was going on SCGB's report for Sauze. Says 28 out of 69 now. Maybe they do mean the whole area though. 69 (or even 2Cool just in Sauze seems a bit high! Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
For Via Lattea, you can check daily the bulletin to see what is opened and what is not: http://www.vialattea.it/Multimedia/Bollettino
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Live update for Sauze is moderate rain Sad

Been raining quite hard all morning, not bothered heading for the slopes. It looks to be snowing only a little higher up the mountain though so that's good. Unfortunately the rain isn't going to do much for the already poor resort runs.

Forecast is for the freezing levels to drop this afternoon and evening and stay well below resort level for the rest of the week. Light to moderate snow occasionally tomorrow and Thursday.

The bar is looking like the best option for this afternoon I'm afraid.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Cheers @japes1275, Webcams suggest upperslopes are benefiting a lot. Can you give us any insight into snow cannon distributions-do the resort runs have them? This snow could be enough to fully open the top slopes and the dry cold period at the end of the week could be good enough to produce man made snow on the resort runs... I have the feeling this is how the Via Lattea tries to run the place. Unfortunately this year there hasnt been enough natural stuff to open the resorts properly. Enjoy those beers Wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@stef88, Sauzes resort runs are covered with cannons from just above Sportinia. (From top of Lago Nero lift)

The temperature below Sportinia is key... it has to be worth running the cannons. This time last year, they just about kept the slope to the bottom of Clotes open. You could get to the bottom of Sportinia if you didn't mind polling for a bit... it was very very icy at the bottom!!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ok good to know so theoretically this cold snap coming could improve the number of runs open if they pull there finger our and have the cannons on 24/7.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
stef88 wrote:
Ok good to know so theoretically this cold snap coming could improve the number of runs open if they pull there finger our and have the cannons on 24/7.

It's less to do with fingers being stuck and more to do with temperature outlook and reservoir levels. If they dry out the reservoir early season with high temps forecast then it's a waste!
This graph will give you an idea of when they can fire the cannons though. Worth paying attention to the humidity levels.

snow conditions
@@letsgetpiste, Nice table! Particularly for when people always say if its 3 C or lower then you should have the cannons on. Aye only joking about pulling fingers out Wink. But with temperatures below freezing at resort level from tomorrow onwards for at least a week it looks promising they will actually get them firing. Clinging onto hope here there will be some decent skiing to be had in 2 weeks time!
latest report
Stopped raining now and you can see the snow line on the trees is only a couple of hundred meters above the resort level, lower than Sportinia anyway. Way too warm and wet to produce snow at the moment, I'm guessing that will start again in the next couple of days judging by the forecast temps.

I'll let you know of any more developments!
latest report
Thanks again japes1275 much appreciated - am hoping the next few days will make the difference as temps fall and the VL will reach tipping point soon to be able to open links. Any on the spot updates are great - hope it improves for you tomorrow! snowHead
snow report
^+1
ski holidays
@deadkenny, Happy Birthday btw Smile
snow report
Snow cannons firing away across the mountain at last and a couple of more runs open in the morning. Rather cold there over the next few days so hopefully the snow making will help.
snow report
Some really nice skiing today, the change to colder weather has come and conditions have improved. Snow canons we're going on most of the runs and there are signs of work to open others. I've heard from a couple of sources that at least one more run is opening tomorrow. From what I could see there should be more, or at least some attempt to prepare what snow is there. The upper slopes have some really good snow and even down to resort they are ok now it's a bit colder.

Up top it looks pretty unlikely that the link to Sestriere will be open soon, a lot of the snow has blown off and it looks a bit bare. I'm no expert on Sauze or piste preparation but looking at the state of it up there and also at the weather reports I'd say it will be a while before its open.

But there is decent snow on what is is open, it's quiet and there are plenty of restaurants (maybe a coincidence that the only open pistes are around the restaurants?!) so it could be a lot worse.

I'll report back on any new runs open tomorrow.

Ciao!
ski holidays
@@japes1275, Thanks for another great update. Hoping this small low pressure coming in Thursday over delivers. That would set up the next few weeks quite nicely with the colder temps forecast. Probably not enough to get the links open though. Amazing how at 2000 m plus there hasnt been enough snow here. I wonder if they will consider placing cannons in the bowl in future or just consider this year as one of those exceptionally dry ones.
snow conditions
I might have to go back on my link opening prediction. There was lots of movement up at the top of Sauze and the red back from the Sestriere link was being piste bashed. The lift back from the bowl was also being tested. I'd say there's a chance they are trying to get it opened by the weekend, maybe sooner.

There are about 3 more runs open in Sauze today, a couple of reds and a blue. In fact maybe 2 blues.

Today was fantastic considering so little is open. Skied all day and didn't really get bored. The snow was excellent and it was blue skies by lunchtime. If it stays nice and cold like it is at the moment then it should be ok for the next couple of weeks by which time there might be more snow.

Almost forgot, the snow canons have been on all day and there are some decent piles of new snow on most of the pistes.

Things are definitely looking better.
snow report
@japes1275, Thanks again for the update - and for the reply on the other thread. I'm sure there's a great chance that it will be open for you before the end of the week and then all will be forgotten (sort of). snowHead
snow conditions
The snow has arrived today looking at the webcams! Fingers crossed for a 25 cm + dump Twisted Evil
snow conditions
hugely optimistic i might add Wink
ski holidays
James Hanson from SauzeOnline posted this on FB last night - he is the man to follow on FB/Twitter/YouTube for weather updates from Sauze:

I haven't got time for a full blog update just at the moment so here's a quick look at what's happening. Cannons have been firing all day across the mountain increasing hopes that more runs may be opening soon. No official word on that but work continues. More significant than that was the sight of bashers in the bowl. The lift company are desperate to get the link open so could the sight of these bashers be a sign that this may be happening soon? We'll just have to wait and see what these next few days brings. I'll do a video report on Friday which will hopefully answer any questions that you may have.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mad Looks like the 15 cm forecast today ended up being 5 cm, at best Sad
ski holidays
Yes, I saw that too, and doesn't seem to be any more on the way... snow faucet has been shut off Sad
latest report
From Saturday the link from Sauze to Sestiere will be open.

We communicate to all our customers that from Saturday, January 16 will open new facilities and slopes in.
The recent snowfall, though not abundant, together with the work of the installation of snowmaking will allow us to make available to new ski areas.
The following details the new openings:

Sestriere:
Facilities: Lift Silver Cloud, Pattemouche cable car, gondola Sestriere-Fraiteve
slopes 2, 68, the blue, and 9.

Sauze:
Appliances: Colo chairlift and lift Chamonier
slopes 29, 27 high, 27 low, boursailles Boulevard, 47

Claviere:
Appliances: chairlift Sagnalonga-Bercia
Slopes: 23, 90 high, 99, 99 bis, 99 courses

Ski pass:
33,00 EUR Vialattea
Montiluna: 25,00 EUR
Sansicario: 20,00 EUR
latest report
Great news! Thanks for the posting @Kutocer, Lets hope they can find a way of keeping it open - even if it means transporting snow up the mountain Wink Sounds like they maybe installed/moved some of those moveable cannons up there?!
snow conditions
Just in time and yeah hopefully will remain open, We arrive Sunday and my daughter's first skiing trip so want them to experience as much of it as possible. They did also say with work more might be open as well. With the cold spell hopefully they make a big dump of snow and get it all going so they can start charging full price again.
latest report
@@Kutocer, great news for you! Im not out for another week so still a bit uncertain for me. But I hope its good for you for you in particular with it being your daughters first trip. One advantage is most first timers dont really recognize when things are under par Wink
ski holidays
Haha no they don't but looking at webcams and pic's it don't look too bad out there so to them going skiing up a mountain instead of a indoor slope I don't think they'll see anything wrong at all. Just a damn sight more snow then they've ever seen in their life Very Happy
snow report
Started snowing about 8am today and has been coming down fairly lightly most of the day. I'd say that there has been about 5cm at resort (Sauze) level and possibly double that higher up. There doesn't seem to have been much work going to open any more runs but that is probably due to the conditions. As has been posted already it looks like the link should be open at the weekend though I don't think I'd use the phrase 'desperate to get the link open' as I've seen no signs of desperate activity in the last week! There are huge drifts of snow all over and in my experience during 'desperate' times these are usually buldozed/carted to the places they are needed. No signs of that here.

I'm also pretty sure that more runs could be opened in the Sauze area right now and lots of people I've spoken to (including locals) are saying the same.

Anyway as it stands there is decent skiing available in Sauze, everything is covered in snow, some decent off piste for people that like poncing about in the trees, possibility of more runs in the next day or two and a fairly definite opening of the link to Sestriere at the weekend. I think if you are out here in the next week or two then it's going to be great. Even I've had a good week with the less than perfect conditions.
ski holidays
What a relief. I'm going to Sauze in a party of 12 . I persuaded most of them to go and it is either their first time or they have not skied since they were children. Been so stressed over the last few weeks, now feeling better.
snow report
cheers @japes1275, I wonder if they just dont think its worth trying to spend the huge amount of man hours it would require due to the fussy italians that wont turn up unless theres fresh powder. Sounds like the VL has a lot of local visiters, particularly during the weekends. So maybe its a case of just trying to keep things functional to get the money from the holiday groups. Just speculation but could be true. Its a shame though if it were true - im hoping its more just they have learnt from the past what to do and what not.

@sequoiaboard, im in the same boat - it was my call to come here as we normally stick to high, snow sure french resorts. After some good snowfalls in recent years and pretty good reviews of the resort I persuaded them all :/
ski holidays
@stef88, and @sequoiaboard, it seems there is some tree skiing... so not all is lost -
snow report
@HeidiAmsterdam, aye you were right Wink. I think things for the next few weeks should be ok but obviously far from perfect. Bit of snow perhaps middle of next week to keep things a bit soft too is now possible. Chances are it will miss VL though Wink I may pick up a snowboard for the first time ever if the skiing is limited - perhaps a good opportunity to learn and not feeling Ive wasted skiing km's
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy