Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach snow conditions

Poster: A snowHead
same applies!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I suggest that we simply ignore the small-minded, jealous, glass half empty types in future as they simply have nothing to add to any discussion. They are obviously basing their judgements of people on their own attitudes and behaviour.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
"glass half empty types" Smile - as I said...

Samerberg sue, part of the Salzburg region self-serving group of Snowheads rolling eyes
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Samerberg Sue wrote:
I suggest that we simply ignore the small-minded, jealous, glass half empty types in future as they simply have nothing to add to any discussion. They are obviously basing their judgements of people on their own attitudes and behaviour.

So calling people "small-minded, jealous, glass half empty types" is adding to the discussion?

And jealous of what, exactly?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@snowheads68, unfortunately the make-up of the forum seems to be heavily balanced towards those who are based in resort in winter, at least in terms of number of posts. Of these some give a fair account, are polite, and accept all views, however the majority group together and dismiss anyone else's views that don't match what they want to relay to the Snowhead reader. It's sad but I guess an expected situation where more and more people only think of themselves.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
in response to millom I dont or have not restricted myself to a few resorts over the years austria, ischgl kitzbuhel soll mayrhofen zell am see flachau zell am ziller st anton lech fulpmes westendorf kirchdorf hopfgarten serfaus obergurgl solden france chatel morzine les gets la plagne les arcs meribel chamonix megeve flaine samoens les carroz serre chevalier valloire .switz wengen saasfee gstaad morgins verbier italy courmayer cervinia madesimo livigno sauze doulx selva bormio plus a few other smaller places linked or close to the list and those ive forgotten over the last 50 yrs , suffice to say saalbach is currently favorite and with hindsight wish id gone earlier in life but i will concede that ive never left europe but then never seen the need and some places I would never return others would depend on time of season my wallet and stage of life/ attitude that in my view makes a big difference to wether you find a place good or not
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@ski for fun, ok thanks for the reply. Saalbach is a nice resort I've said that myself but I'd always try to find the best snow and aim to explore new places. Our priorities differ. Unfortunately with expected higher temps this winter lower resorts are probably not the best option at least not unless you get something last minute. Another season it will be different. I don't have favourites for the very reason I don't want to restrict my options. I have ski resorts I prefer to others but as your experience changes so does your view of a resort/ski area (good to poor to good again for example).
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi, I haven't posted before, however the change of tone of this thread has motivated me to do so. We spent Xmas week in Saalbach, visiting for the first time, and prior to going read up a lot on the area. Tatman's advice over the past couple of years' threads massively enhanced our week, from the best runs to ski, mountain huts to eat at, bars and restaurants around the town, to where to hire gear - thank you Tatman (and others who have contributed!)

We skied over 250km in the week on what was at that time almost entirely artificial snow, with temperatures barely dipping below 0 for the whole week. The pistes were race track fast for the first few hours in the morning, then did cut up in the afternoon, however the job the piste team did each night was incredible. It didn't at all stop us having a great weeks skiing. I can only imagine how much better the pistes are now that there has been some natural snow and temperatures are low enough to run the snow cannons. The pistes undoubtedly will have improved over the past few weeks...

I found all of the advice from people on the ground in Saalbach to be useful opinions on the state of conditions, which we generally agreed with once we were there. I honestly believe there is no place for the unnecessarily aggressive/personal comments which have appeared of late in this forum.

Cheers

Eamonn
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@snowheads68, my brothers. Would agree that Tatman may be slightly ramping up how good the conditions are !!!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
So @millom i am naive and don't have the right to comment on Saalbach because I have loved it the last 3 yrs and choose to return again? FYI I found skiing late in life and this will be my 9th year, I suppose having been to whistler (twice, sorry really loved it so went back) chamonix (twice, again) les arcs ( 4 times) alpbach ( twice) obertauren (twice) means I haven't skied the world and clearly have no knowledge of anything beyond Saalbach unlike an expert like yourself.

@tatmans reports and comprehensive guide was the reason I first tried Saalbach, I found it very helpful and honest and whilst I don't agree with all his recommendations of favourite pistes/ bars and restaurants, because guess what I try them and base my opinion on what I think, not the opinion of someone who I don't know.

I will post next week on my 1 and only visit this year, but clearly it will be of no interest to you, so please don't read it and make any comments or is that me being naive?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Efatri,

TO will try to sell you a ski pass, ski hire, ski lessons, etc. Why? Out of the kindness of their heart or because they can make a little extra money?! Not everything is as it seems.

For example in many resorts ski(/boot) hire would be cheapest from Skiset, Skimium, etc. booked online.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Efatri wrote:
I honestly believe there is no place for the unnecessarily aggressive/personal comments which have appeared of late in this forum.

Like Tatman dismissing people as "miserable old gits" or Sameberger Sue calling people "small-minded, jealous, glass half empty types"?

Have to agree with you there.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@ribblevalleyblue, what you don't know is that @Millom, does know more than you and probably knows a lot more than most.
This is a known fact as @Millom, who, as you know, knows more than you, knows.
Millom wrote:
@PaulC1984, But then I'm not a unknowledgeable fool like most of you on here wink! Strangely enough I probably know a lot more than most of you.
So now you know but not as much as @Millom knows.

@Millom, have you considered membership of the SCGB? We could do with a chap who knows what you know, you know.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
IIRC Millom started what is probably the only bad-tempered thread about French skiing conditions this season, accusing rob@rar, probably one of the most reliable and likeable SHs of all kinds of wickedness.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
thanks for that "super chap great bloke" Smile
snow conditions
pam_w, for someone who usually talks sense of here you have a strange idea of who is reliable or likeable on this forum. Not sure why you've felt the need to join in this discussion?! You've asked for an argument on a few occasions with some provocative replies to my posts.
latest report
pam_w,

rob_rar like tatman was bigging up conditions in his resort but worse was also trying to argue that a large area of probably unsafe off-piste was also freely available for any skiers on their way to resort. But he's a regular poster and has friends on here so that's fine. Well actually it isn't!
snow report
@Millom, put another sock in it while you are patting yourself on the back please! rolling eyes rolling eyes
latest report
@Efatri, Welcome to snowHeads!. Snowheads is like a family, there are spats and quibbles, but most of the time people get along fine and you can pick up some genuinely useful information and meet some great people
snow report
This thread seems to have taken a somewhat sinister turn and been somewhat derailed by some members.
I've been helped loads by "in resort" forum members over the years. To suggest that those members do so solely for gain is a crock of .......
I include @Samerberg Sue and
@Tatmans Tours in that, who's advice has been excellent through the years.
I've frequented many forums for different interests and hobbies over time and there are always those that seem intent on being obnoxious know-it-alls, it's a part of the wonder of life. The best thing about being online is that with a simple click of a button I can ignore/block them and they vanish. How cool is that??
PS I'm off to Saalbach twice this year. How sad is that? But my wife wants to go and I'm going with my mates again a few weeks later. Life is terrible isn't it?
ski holidays
Okay, I'll bite, but I'll try not to do any troll-feeding! rolling eyes I've seen enough of that on the Les Arcs thread.

@Efatri, Thank you very much for your support and encouragement. Glad you had a good week at Christmas (as did our guests that week, despite - or, in some cases, because of - the sunny, spring-like conditions). Your appreciative comments (as well as those of @ribblevalleyblue, joe1978, ski for fun and others) have more than made up for the malicious insults. I shall therefore continue to post comments in the hope that someone like you might find them helpful.

@thunderer, Not sure what lies behind your comment - are you here, or have you been here recently - and maybe skiing different pistes from me?

Seriously folks, I am not such an idiot as to "big/ramp-up" conditions here. I don't need to, and if I did, I'd soon be shot down in flames by anyone arriving here and finding it all disappointing. I will be here throughout the season, so I suppose that (in a nod to my detractors) like quinton and others who are here long-term, I can see the gradual improvement in conditions over the weeks and the progressive opening of more of the pistes, rather than taking a week's "snap-shot", and this may result in a more upbeat and optimistic impression. Also I imagine that the "tufts of grass" brigade may well be those who are understandably trying to get the most out of their 6 days of skiing around a 270km area that they don't know too well, and they may well be skiing well-travelled pistes that I choose to avoid.

I know that this will annoy some people (but I can live with that!) Last week's guests left this morning, saying that they'd had a very enjoyable week's skiing (especially yesterday, I would assume, when the air temps were cold and the pistes held up well into the late afternoon) and asking to return in March, and again next season. More to the point, the temperature is warmer today and it's been snowing from 1600m upwards, and raining below that height. I know this, because this week's guests (at least one of whom is a snowHead and may be on here to confirm what I say) lost no time upon arrival before charging up Schattberg, down piste 2b to Jausern, and over to Leogang, before descending the Kohlmais via piste 52. The verdict was "not ideal but better than expected". Unsurprisingly conditions at Leogang were the best, whilst 2b was mogulled and challenging. Some of the pistes were also icy.

According to at least one forecast (snow-forecast.com), we can expect cold temps from Monday onwards and up to half a meter of snow by Thursday, so the present warm and moist conditions seem a small price to pay! (Sorry trolls rolling eyes )

(P.S For the record, I didn't call anyone a miserable old git, I merely asserted that I'm not one - at least not often Little Angel Even if some people want to draw a pejorative inference from my retort, there is no excuse for the original and repeated baseless and libellous remarks - unless of course you're a troll, in which case I suppose that they are your raison d'etre).
snow report
Wow, this has escalated since I last looked. Was hoping to read about some glorious dumpings of the white stuff 😀 We're going late February regardless of conditions and will have a bloody good time 👍
latest report
Whitty wrote:
Wow, this has escalated..

That can happen here wink

For the avoidance of doubt I am a grumpy old git and like Whitty I insist having a good time regardless NehNeh
latest report
Well said Mr Tatman.
As some one who's met and skied with him and his wife, I find his posts informative and upbeat. They are also both really friendly people who constantly go out of their way to help others as well as also to share their enthusiasm for skiing and the great area of Austria that they choose to ski in.
snow report
Haha, my wife calls me Victor Meldrew! Add a bit of snow, some mountain air and a few jagermeister and I think I'm a eurovision song contest entrant 😄
snow report
@tatman, please keep us up to date with the conditions over next few days (self interest!), looks like it's still warm for a couple of days with rain in the village and some white stuff up above, but gets cold on Tuesday with some snow, please let that be true as I arrive on Friday!!!

Appreciate if you do it on the Saalbach official/unofficial thread as that retains the raison d'etre for myself and other like minded Saalbach fans, as I am sure, you like me are not happy the direction this particular thread has gone
snow report
daveqpr wrote:
Well said Mr Tatman.
As some one who's met and skied with him and his wife, I find his posts informative and upbeat. They are also both really friendly people who constantly go out of their way to help others as well as also to share their enthusiasm for skiing and the great area of Austria that they choose to ski in.

Absolutely this! I've spent two fabulous weeks skiing with them, you couldn't wish to meet or ski with a nicer couple - and we weren't even staying at his apartment. They made our week, and if/when I go back to Saalbach I would certainly trust what he has to say about the conditions.
snow report
@joe1978, since the disturbance on this thread I've switched my single Ignore from our useless Dutch troll to that of a recent unfortunate addition to this board. Shame I can't include his socks as well! wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@daveqpr, @ribblevalleyblue, @HoneyBunny, @Samerberg Sue, Thanks all of you for the kind remarks and support - much appreciated.
latest report
@Millom, @snowheads68,

I don't know either @Tatmans Tours or @Samerberg Sue, though I have asked the latter for advice; and what I received was straightforward and helpful.

Quote:

@snowheads68, unfortunately the make-up of the forum seems to be heavily balanced towards those who are based in resort in winter

Only @Admin can possibly know the exact demographic of the forum, so you have no evidence to support the above.

Quote:

dismiss anyone else's views that don't match what they want to relay to the Snowhead reader. It's sad but I guess an expected situation where more and more people only think of themselves.

Hmm. Pot and black kettle spring to mind.

The value of this forum is its tolerance: admirably demonstrated by the fact that a moderator hasn't yet deleted your posts - even though you come across as obnoxious tw@ts.
ski holidays
Good morning, hope everyone is ok today. I'd just like to say I don't know anyone personally on this thread. I've been involved in the saalbach official/unofficial discussion and look forward to seeing there have been updates as it's very helpful and lighthearted. We booked saalbach (for the first time) last spring with no influence from anyone. I've since received resort info from tatman's tours and comments /info on the fire in a pension from samenberg sue. So please keep it coming 😀
Back to the point, has it snowed overnight?
snow conditions
@Millom, This is 2 threads you have now spoilt that I am reading. Why you have to insist on accusing everyone of something underhand I do not know. Firstly I have been to saalbach 3 times and can't wait to go again. My first time tatman sent me his v good guide and it helped me sldiscover some great skiing and possibly the best apres ski I have ever come across. V helpful and of no gain to himself. I only read good things about him and yes he does have an apartment but that seems fairly well booked up so not sure of the gain of talking up conditions for a particular week.
It seems a shame people can not talk about conditions in a positive manner. I guess you know the conditions better as you are travelling the many resorts you talk about daily to know the best conditions. (Or do you just look on their website).
Until this year I have never seen any crossed words on snowheads (aside from the France v Austria argument.(firmly in the Austria camp myself)) but you seem to have brought a whole new unwelcome tone.

Why not set up your own thread where you can tell everyone about everything you know and set the world to rights there. Leave everyone else in their own (as you think) fantasyland of decent conditions.

BTW please don't go to saalbach,alpbach or any resort I intend going to this year as they clearly will not be good enough for someone as worldly wise as yourself
snow report
To return to the point of this thread, it looks as though anything we write about snow conditions is very soon going to be out of date. Have you seen the forecast?! http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Saalbach/6day/top
ski holidays
I always find threads that end up discussing people rather dull so I won't enter into the debate other than to say I'm not aware of anyone who's been to Saalbach this year contradicting Tatman's descriptions of the conditions. Fortunately he seems well capable of rising above any petty criticism and I'll certainly be buying him a beer if I see him in resort next week.

Anyhow, looks like this week is make or break for Saalbach (certainly for my visit). Hopefully the forecasts will turn out correct with some proper snow tomorrow and later in the week.
ski holidays
Tatman's Tours wrote:
To return to the point of this thread, it looks as though anything we write about snow conditions is very soon going to be out of date. Have you seen the forecast?! http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Saalbach/6day/top

I'm liking that forecast 😀
latest report
That forecast is awesome. Let's hope it rings true. Going to söll next sat on a boys trip. Gutted not to be going to saalbach this year but won't miss it next year.....
snow report
I feel for the fair-weather skiers this week! However there's always the apres! (See http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2823315&highlight=saalbach#2823315 )
snow conditions
@PeteMan, I'll hold you to that! wink
ski holidays
I live in St Johann and have used the new link from Fieberbrunn to the Saalbach area many times this season. I have to say that @Tatman's Tours reports on the conditions have been very accurate.

Even when we had virtually no real snow, the snow making facilities in Saalbach are so good I had several days in Saalbach where I skied around 9,000 vertical metres and saw little in the way of poor conditions.
snow report
@mattiwilkin, here here!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy