Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Japan 2015 / 16

Poster: A snowHead
@Mike Pow, will do, thanks snowHead Plenty of places no one's ever heard of on Hokkaido to explore snowHead
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
So many Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think we're kicking off with a couple of the lift stations local to Sapporo
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Conditions look phenomenal.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Sharkymark, That's our plan for next season. We absolutely loved Kiroro last year, and want to find similar experiences in the smaller resorts, are you staying in Sapporo and day tripping?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Sharkymark, Teine Highland was great but busy when we were there in mid January - you needed skins for the exit from the further out bowls to get many fresh tracks after about 11am.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Guernseyfreerider, we are for a few days at least, then a bit of a road trip. I think the technical term is 'winging it' Wink

@musehead, thanks for the tip: day 1 option is Teine.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sharkymark wrote:
I think we're kicking off with a couple of the lift stations local to Sapporo

Sapporo Teine
Sapporo Kokusai
Otaru Tenguyama
Kiroro
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.

Slight baggage mishap so delayed by a day starting proper fun. A day browsing the Sapporo Snow Festival then Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
^ Sapporo isn't actually horizontal like that but you get the picture. Right, back to my crab and beer
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Mike Pow, thanks. Joe's pre trip research captured those options snowHead
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Well, day 1 was quite epic snowHead

Will back this up once we've had our sushi and I can get to my photos Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Sharkymark, keep it coming, watching this thread with interest!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Sharkymark, Hope you have wifi reception from the toilet wink
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:

Winds were high and the largest ski areas threatened to close (Niseko's top lifts and backcountry gates all shut, it turned out Skullie ). Based upon insider local knowledge (thanks Mike!) we headed to Asari; a very small local hill to Otaru. We smashesmashed it: boot to knee deep creamy pow from top to base and not a sausage skiing off piste other than us and one or two locals. Superb mellow tree skiing. Plus it shat it down on and off all day. Epic times Very Happy . Here's a view from mid station looking towards Otaru between squalls.
ski holidays
Well played.

Forgot about Asari Smile
snow report

admin on top of the JaPOW...
snow report

...and the Rabbit? Well, in it...
ski holidays
@Sharkymark,
http://youtube.com/v/ct7Ke_vH_vU
snow report
@Sharkymark, what's happened to @admin's trousers? He hasn't lost them as well has he? I was considering my outfit for the EoSB (the red ones are too warm) and concluded that another week of his 'n' her's is just too much, but maybe he's solved the problem...?

Looks like you're having fun, I'm very jealous!
snow report
Squally conditions tomorrow and Kiroro looks having the best of any snow so we're planning to head there. The forecast is for very mild weather over the weekend to precipitate rain pretty much everywhere. However, it looks like turning to snow from the north east so planning on heading to Furano to make the most of any dumpage.
ski holidays
@Scarlet, he says his wardrobe planning is confidential. However, this is a moot point as you could only really see the top 50% of his pants all day wink
snow conditions
@Sharkymark, pfft, more of a wardrobe accident, I've seen the state of his socks!
ski holidays
@Scarlet, that is the price of GNAR: stay on the case girrrl and one day you may have socks as gnarly as mine!

Anyway, I thought we made a lovely couple in our his 'n hers matching outfits.
I'm trying to get the Rabbit to get an outfit like Modern Nerd's to complete the set Wink
snow report
Yeah, saw the forecasts for mild and wet over the weekend Sad

Flying out over the weekend and in Furano by Tuesday so hope it's turned back to snow and covered all the wet soggy stuff. First time in Japan and honeymoon so have everything crossed its not going to be a damp, anticlimax!!
latest report
It was sweet a couple of weeks ago: Niseko briefly, then Kiroro, Kokusai, Asahidake and Furano...
memorable:
Hokkaido short edit from Grinning
https://vimeo.com/154908420

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Mon 22-02-16 15:35; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Yesterday had nothing on today: I measured the blower pow that puked on Kiroro last night at 50cm...I need to compose myself and get some more raw fish before I rifle through photos and post a report.

It

Was

EPIC
ski holidays
Going green Going green Going green
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It invariably is Wink
ski holidays

@Mike Pow, how do you cope when you go anywhere else? Wink

Soooooo...things started quite relaxed at our hotel; the usual trying to prise Graham out of bed and put some trousers on. Then we read the Snowjapan daily blog on Kiroro: 28cm at the base, bluebird and it was cold. Things escalated quickly. Graham put some ski pants on, we had raw fish/rice/accidental raw pork/croissants for breakfast and we were off.

Kiroro has a neat system of gates for allowing backcountry access - I guess much like the States. However, our warm up down the edge of a piste found knee deep freshies and better snow than I've skied in years. We headed out of resort and to cut a long story short, it was among the deepest, lightest powder I've skied. In trees! Off the skis I sank to my waist instantly. The other two didn't find it too shabby either!

It stayed cold throughout the day. During the morning, snow showers and cloud battled against the sun keeping things nice and cold. In the afternoon, the sun won and in some places, the snow got a little 'European' Wink At 4pm, they turned the lights on for the night skiing so we lapped the untouched lines close to the Central Express Chair. A day to remember.

Not many photos as we were too busy skiing Wink Here's the Rabbit procrastinating on which line to take through one of the BC gates.

We're now in Furano after a pretty tiring 3 hour drive. Weather forecast to be less kind over the next few days. Will see you on the other side!
snow report
@Sharkymark, sounds amazing. (Hope the accidental raw pork has no repercussions.)
snow report
Great to hear that Kiroro delivered Smile

If you have a chance, and the forecast is favourable have a look at Sahoro. About 90 mins from Furano.
snow report
Grinning wrote:
It was sweet a couple of weeks ago: Niseko briefly, then Kiroro, Kokusai, Asahidake and Furano...
memorable:
Hokkaido short edit from Grinning
https://vimeo.com/154908420#t=120s

Damn that looks fun!
ski holidays
@Grinning, wonderful video, thanks for posting Very Happy
latest report
I am loving this thread! Please keep the reports and pics coming, even though they hurt! Going green
snow report
@Sharkymark, Glad Kiroro delivered, we loved it so much we had to go back again when we were there, lift queues were shocking mind wink
snow conditions
@Sharkymark, WOW looks like an amazing day!

How did you have accidental raw pork??

This time next week, I'll have done my first day in Japan. snowHead Really hope I get a couple of days as good as you've had.
ski holidays
@Grinning, great stuff! All looks very familiar
latest report
@Guernseyfreerider, yesterday was a Japanese holiday so it was rammed by comparison to normal. Still, hardly the Grand Montets cable...Wink

@kat.ryb, you'll love it snowHead It looked like pancetta...
ski holidays
@Sharkymark, Did you fill in the forms, get the armbands etc for going out the gates in Kiroro? I heard from someone it's a very long winded process at the start of the day, so instead just lapped trees inside the resort boundaries.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy