Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Going to Chamonix, best place to stay?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Normally I have been to Val and Meribel as well as a number of other French resorts where everything is more or less in one place.

Having not yet tried Chamonix I've decided thats where we're gonna go this year. But what is the best part of the resort to stay in for night life and skiing that avoids excess transport? I know we'll have to get buses at some point, but would prefer to walk into town and have to catch a bus to the slopes rather than the other way round...

Just need to know enough so that when I go to book I know where I do and don't want to be Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rich75,
Are you going with a TO or independently.
If you're going on DIY strongly advise you hire a car at the Airport (Geneva Swiss side) and drive down, 1 hour, easy route.
Easy transfer and once your there great way to get around to the different ski areas.

Anywhere in the town will be fine but for Hotels you need to specify what you want/want to spend.

Fantastic place as it's a real town plus top skiing.

Also pm Smallzookeeper as he live/works there.

Slowplough
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rich75, Assuming you are a strong skier - stay in Argentiere - you can then walk to the Grand Montets lifts...... snowHead
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Chamonix centre itself (the pedestrian area) has the best nightlife I guess (and the most atmosphere), followed by Argentiere which as ski says has the Grands Montets lifts right there.

Have a look at Hotel Croix Blanche in Chamonix. Avoid Hotel Couronne in Argentiere (the only time in my life when a hotel gave me a room then when I was unpacking someone came in and said 'sorry this was a cancellation and the other guests are turning up after all so you'll have to go').
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rich75, anywhere around Chamonix sud is close to bars, resturants etc. Buses are the only sensible way to get around unless you have your own transport. Argentiere is fine but not nearly as lively as Chamonix.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Ok sounds like it will have to be Chamonix sud, when I'm sober (ish) during the day and its not late I don't mind getting buses, but later in the evening I'd like to walk to the bars. Still from what I hear about the skiing up the Grand Montets I won't be getting that drunk, or will I... hmmm! Cool
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cedric wrote:
Avoid Hotel Couronne in Argentiere (the only time in my life when a hotel gave me a room then when I was unpacking someone came in and said 'sorry this was a cancellation and the other guests are turning up after all so you'll have to go').

I will be in Chamonix from Feb 14 to Feb 18 which seems to be a busy time. I have sent enquires to Hotel l’Arve but the price quoted was 91 Euro which I can do, but is a bit high as I need to manage my funds to last some 7 weeks in the alps.

A guiding company suggested Hotel Couronne in Argentiere, which seem to be a bit less expensive. Is Hotel Couronne a relatively comfortable hotel apart from their lack of client relations?

I would hate to end up in a down & out hotel that depresses me when I am supposed to be having fun. Normally I just turn up to a town on the day and see what I can find but I understand that is hard to do at this time of the year.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Harbord, You might find it tricky as you are in the middle of the French school holidays, and yes, everyone goes on holiday at once. Don't leave it too late to book.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Harbord, You can stay really cheaply in Chamonix, if you are only there for 4 days, consider the Vagabond (very cheap), or one of the many b&b's around the town.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
snowbunny wrote:
Harbord, You can stay really cheaply in Chamonix, if you are only there for 4 days, consider the Vagabond (very cheap), or one of the many b&b's around the town.

I am not looking for really cheap place! Just a comfortable hotel with my own room around the 30-50 Euro mark. Chamonix, Les Praz or Argentiere would be good.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Harbord, I was in the room for a total of 10 minutes, can't say for sure how great it was...to be fair it wasn't bad.

Seriously though, why give business to bad hotels? What if you find yourself in the same situation as me? (at least I had a fallback option in Vallorcine). There's gotta be some other hotel that would fit the bill. Google Hotels Direct Chamonix, or planigo.com, or try the online reservation system on www.chamonix.com, they're proactive and will suggest something if you don't find availability where your'e looking.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I like la Savoyarde and the Bois Prin, both close to the Brevent lifts. The hill to the town is quite steep but there are nearby restaurants and I find the walk back quite pleasant. They are not in your price range but may be of interest to other visitors.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy