Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mounting your own bindings without a jib

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I was looking for some advice. I really want to mount my own marker bindings to a new pair of skis which I have bought. They have not been drilled yet so was wandering is anyone had done this before and could point me in the right direction for getting the right drill bits, binding templates which can be printed for the screw placements etc.

I have a drill and basic workbench, so need the right equipemt to 'tap' the skis but need to make sure I get the right size drill bit to not go too deep (nightmare). Appreciate any comments.

Regards,

Joey
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Spyderjon at thepisteoffice.com probably has everything you need, including advice. Give him a shout.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Great resource for binding templates here on TGR http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/153971-Binding-Mount-Paper-Templates

No big deal mounting bindings - just mark out accurately; centre-punch to easily locate the drill; when drilling use a depth-collar (or cut off your drill bit with a grinder so the exact amount sticks out of the chuck); don't drill too shallow else when you screw in the bindings you can cause a bump to appear on the base (been there, done that Blush ) ; seal the hole with pva-glue or similar when you screw the bindings in place; stand back with a smug, satisfied expression

It's easier if you use a pillar drill, so you drill perpendicular - if you're worried the first time: do a trial mount on a pice of 4 by 2.

Tongue-in cheek TGR thread on mounting >here<

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 29-11-15 0:17; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yep Spyderjon will have the drill bits and the likes you need.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
What is the cost differential between buying the various tools you need and having it done professionally?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
you don't need anything special, if you have a drill that's about all you need if you are worried of drilling too deep either buy a drill collar for £1 or wrap a load of electrical tape around the drill at the correct depth (10mm) or splash out on a ski specific bit, some bostik blue glue for the holes and a paper template from the link.

Quote:

What is the cost differential between buying the various tools you need and having it done professionally?

£20-30 but who cares, doing it yourself is way more satisfying, and at least you know once you have learned you only get better, if you could go into a shop and be guaranteed a professional service that would be great but you are just as likely to get some amateur who was given a 30 min induction and handed the drill and jigs.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My local ski shop mounted my bindings for 15€.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hells Bells wrote:
My local ski shop mounted my bindings for 15€.
Wow - you'd be lucky at 30€ in cham normally 50€.

Taught myself 20 od years ago, no jigs just pencil ruler and drill bit, some masking tape makes things easier to write/draw on.
Just follow carpentry rules measure tree times, drill once.
Use a 2 part epoxy (araldite or similar) then they won't fall out/off - if you need to undo the screws a little heat from a soldering iron does the trick Wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just paid 495 SEK (38 GBP) to get bindings mounted, which seems like going rate in Stockholm (probably its cheaper out in the sticks).

I'm pretty handy at DIY but didn't dare do it myself...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
[quote="Idris"]
Hells Bells wrote:
in cham normally 50€.

and then they'll probably be mounted off center with one binding facing the wrong way snowHead
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@davidof, ah hell, that's where I'm going wrong. wink . We do put a lot of business their way over the course of a winter.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Joey.... Get any binding mounted professionally, period. And always/only with the mfgrs. jig. There's a list of obvious and legal reasons why.

Hand tune your skis, yes. Wax your skis, yes. Mounting, no.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
[quote="davidof"]
Idris wrote:
Hells Bells wrote:
in cham normally 50€.

and then they'll probably be mounted off center with one binding facing the wrong way snowHead

Such a cynic David.....

Sadly what you say is true (monkeys/peanuts etc) Sad
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
UK going rate is £40 but if you buy the skis &/or the bindings from me it's foc. Bindings purchase + free mounting is usually cheaper than buying from a euro bucket shop & then paying for mounting Toofy Grin
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If you insist on drilling and mounting yourself then be sure to invest in the correct ski-specific drill bit. They aren't expensive in the grand scheme of things! The size that you'll require will depend on the construction of your skis, as will whether or not the holes need to be 'tapped' as more often than not this isn't required.

No need to epoxy the holes. Wood glue is perfectly adequate. Take your time, drill carefully and with a bit of practice you'll be fine but don't expect a shop to fix any potential errors for peanuts... wink
ski holidays
Right, I'm going to try this, as I already have pillar drill, collars etc. I assume Jon can supply a drill bit to stick some Jesters onto a WD Preacher?
snow report
arcsinice wrote:
Joey.... Get any binding mounted professionally, period. And always/only with the mfgrs. jig. There's a list of obvious and legal reasons why.

ski holidays
arcsinice wrote:

it's really not that difficult.
ski holidays
I mount all my skis after a shop messed up a mount for me. Not difficult. My top tips:

Use masking tape on the topsheet to mark your positions
Check the mount position with a measurement from the tip and tail (I have had 2 sets of skis where the bootcentre mark was incorrect)
Take time to get an accurate centreline.
Punch to get an accurate hole centre.
Drill press helps to get a vertical hole - very beneficial if installing inserts.

Remember, the glue is to seal the wood, not hold the binding on. There are broadly two schools of thought on this - my personal view is that epoxy is best for this application as it will soak into and seal the wood core. Plenty will disagree, and most shops use wood glue for convenience, but whatever you use, make sure that it is waterproof, will make a good seal and preferably will soak into the wood somewhat.
snow report
Thanks for all the advice guys.
latest report
It's OK - I always mount my bindings under mainsail only Happy

Seriously though, you can find pdf templates to print out on line - need to be careful you are printing to scale though!
snow report
Good opportunity to set up with quiver killers Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy