Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland snow report 2015/16

Poster: A snowHead
Glencoe has rare summit-to-valley riding this weekend.

Nevis is loaded up with slackcountry powda.

Glenshee is fully open with a shiny new chair.

Saturday looks completely bluesky and the best day of the season so far.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
http://m.webcam-hd.com/ski-scotland/glenshee

Looking fantastic and no obvious queues. Lots of sore legs by the end of today I suspect. Laughing
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Whitegold wrote:
Glencoe has rare summit-to-valley riding this weekend.

Nevis is loaded up with slackcountry powda.

Glenshee is fully open with a shiny new chair.

Saturday looks completely bluesky and the best day of the season so far.

Meanwhile the jewel in the crown that is Cairngorm are spending all their money on a new restaurant and stripping out their old chairlift!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Peter S wrote:

Looking fantastic and no obvious queues. Lots of sore legs by the end of today I suspect. Laughing

Looks fantastic. Where is everyone! I didn't come up because I thought there would be huge queues Sad
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
No queues at Nevis Range. Amazing day today. Blue skies, no wind, decent snow in most places.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Glencoe , blue skies and decent snow.
Now with added Cliffhanger re-opened.
Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dave.... wrote:
Very Happy

Were the queues bad Dave.. ? I saw about 5 cars turn left in front of me and decided to keep going.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Great picture of the new chairlift and the views from the Cairnwell.
http://www.winterhighland.info/pix/pixalbum.php?pix_id=1149
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.

It's one of those relatively rare weekends where skiing conditions are better in the UK than the Alps Cool
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yesterday was incredible at the nevis range. Conditions to die for.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Flexon wrote:
Dave.... wrote:
Very Happy

Were the queues bad Dave.. ? I saw about 5 cars turn left in front of me and decided to keep going.

Queues were OK ,didn`t find it an issue personally so not bad for a sunny weekend.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
What a cracking day at Glenshee. The weather was superb; cold, clear and sunny. The Tiger was in great condition and being well served by the new chair. There were no real queues to speak of despite the car parks being bulging. I never made it over to Sunnyside as I with my son who was racing Their race piste was hard and icy in places and caused the younger kids a few problems. In general the snow cover was good.There were a few tufts of grass sticking through and the occasional rock but I've seen much worse.

ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Gaza, there was a fair old queue at glas maol poma most of the day? Died down about 3pm when people started leaving so had a good few late runs on it Smile

I found it to be moderately busy generally queues were minor. Except for at the cafe at lunch time Wink

Sessioned Tiger and that off pistey bit skier's left of the chair for most of the morning (and took a big bail too Very Happy ) with trips over to meall odhar etc etc.

Runs mostly fast and fun with good cover (Glas Maol very good), a few icey patches and some bits of grass and heathery poking through in a few places i.e., down by the road on sunnyside. Off piste is a bit thin mostly.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Oh and perfect weather - cold clear and no wind!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I really hope all the resorts make some money this weekend much as I enjoyed the lack of queues. I really appreciate all the effort the mountain teams put into keeping them going.
snow conditions
Unfortunately I never made it over the road @bobmcstuff. Comparing the queues yesterday with the queues at Cairngorm then they weren't too bad. Toofy Grin I avoided the cafe queues by stopping off at Sainburys in Blairgowrie on the way up and loading up with supplies.

I too had a big fall on the Tiger. It was a real 'garage sale' with both skis coming off and losing a pole. I ended up a good 50m down the hill from where I wiped out as I kept on sliding and couldn't stop. Blush Blush

Forecast this week is looking like a mixed bag. Possibility of snow today but temps rising tonight and turning to rain before lowering again on Wednesday with the possibility of more snow.
snow conditions
Sat & Sun at Nevis were up there as two of the best days we've had in 28 years of Scottish skiing:
- Car park busiest we've ever seen it - yet straight onto all lifts except Summit Tow - 4 minutes max queue there. Pistes never felt busy either - Nevis is great at absorbing people.
- Snow was mainly packed powder on the front of the mountain, with the odd icy bit.
- Coire Dubh was fantastic - mainly all tracked but lovely powdery snow.
- Wall to wall sun with very little wind.

Normal weather was resumed at Glencoe today:
- Lifts on hold (wind) until 9.45.
- Weather beyond atrocious at top - whiteout and ferocious wind.So just stuck with runs below the level of the Cliffhanger Chair.
- Great snow cover - very good on most of the run to the car park.
- Stormbound/mountain closed by about 12.30 - half-day tickets given in recompense.

Oh, and we were impressed by the new Coire Polach tow for beginners - good to see some investment in infrastructure.
snow conditions
another stunning image from Hamish

https://www.facebook.com/hamishfrostphoto/

snow report
Can't compete with the above rolling eyes.... but here's Nevis Range from the weekend:

snow conditions
How is Scotland looking for this weekend?
snow conditions
Good weather is forecast glencoe, glenshee and cairngorm. I've skied at Coe and cairngorm but never glenshee. What are the piste conditions like for these three resorts please? Cairngorm on snow forecast is showing up to 10cm fresh snow on Friday night which would be good but is it worth the extra hour drive from Manchester?
latest report
http://www.winterhighland.info/general/
snow report
Cairngorm tends to have better snow holding, and is normally the better choice, but right now the snow at Glenshee is very good. In that case I would always choose Glenshee. When fully open it handles crowds better, and is a far more expansive area. I've not been this year but a friend was there last weekend and swore he'd never go to queue-plagued Cairngorm again after having such a great time at Glenshee.
snow report
@Ricklovesthepowder, the Met Office forecast for Saturday at Cairngorm is for heavy snow throughout the day with strong winds. That probably means crap visibility and most of the upper lifts being shut.The forecast for Glenshee is looking better. I am swithering between the two but leaning more towards Glenshee as it is about an hour less travel. The clincher is the likelihood of less queues.
snow conditions

Better than the Alps today snowHead
snow report
Rick, In good conditions Glenshee has twice as many lifts as Cairngorm, far more runs, better weather, more reliable access, cheaper lift tickets, more cafes, (often) better piste preparation, fewer rocks and its nearer to the central belt. It also has a better attitude and undersells rather than oversells itself. snowHead
snow report
There's great stuff at Glenshee but it's all in the corners and depends where the best conditions are. Lots of runs and lifts. Plenty of them can be a bit meh but if you think about where the snow has come from there will be a great run somewhere. Either side of Caenlochan tow or off the back into Coire Fionn can be really nice, off the Cairnwell Tbar or chair, either side, somewhere on Glas Maol. Skiers left of Carn Aosda. Any of these can be great on the day. A couple of weeks ago we were searching for some off piste off the raging Southerly. Found it between the red slalom track and the bunny run on the shoulder of the Cairnwell. That's about the only north facing slope when the Cairnwell chair and Glas Maol aren't running
ski holidays
i there any public transport to glenshee, i can get a bus to nevis range from fort william, and aviemore for the cairngorm, but can i get to glenshee
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@compostcorner, I don't think there is a bus service. I've never see a service bus on that road. Where would you be coming from?
snow report
@Peter S, thanks Peter. Done cairngorm several times, skied at glencoe once and loved it. Never done glenshee. Will see where the best weather is set to be. Snow conditions look similar across all reports to be honest.
latest report
+1 for Glenshee, Scotland's very own 4 valleys. Conditions look very good at the moment and comparable to Easter from 3 or 4 years back when we had the best couple of days skiing in Scotland that I have had in 35 years. Only problem is that the kids thought that was normal for Scotland and that you could freeride everywhere at Glenshee. Given the conditions and if you haven't done Glenshee before, it is worth it to give the new Cairnwell chair a run and Glas Maol has some great lines. Can't get up this weekend but looking out the window on the edge of Macclesfield at the moment there may be some opportunities in the Peaks!
snow conditions
hi gaza, thanks for the reply, i would just base myself in a town or village with the best public transport access to glenshee, but if there isnt any then i will have to head for aviemore or fort william, i am travelling up from bristol, its a hillwalking and skiing holiday
ski holidays
Nevis are saying that Braveheart should be open tomorrow. If I wasn't stuck on my chair with a broken ankle then that would be where I would be going this weekend.
ski holidays
Decision finalised: Glenshee it is. Planning for a 6:00 am getaway with a pit stop for a bacon roll en-route so hopefully on piste by 9:00 am. Forecast for Cairngorm is snow throughout the day but Glenshee forecast shows it stopping at around 7:00 am. The only issue might be with the A93. If they don't get it cleared early then I can see us sitting at the snow gates at the Spittal.
snow conditions
Think I'm going west coast. Leave Manchester at 2.30, head up and have breakfast somewhere. Probably stop at glencoe for the day, then fort William for the night, Nevis range Sunday morning. Then drive home
latest report
Ricklovesthepowder wrote:
Think I'm going west coast. Leave Manchester at 2.30, head up and have breakfast somewhere. Probably stop at glencoe for the day, then fort William for the night, Nevis range Sunday morning. Then drive home

Good choice, think west will be best. A little tip for what I normally do is drive to fort William 1st, get your breakfast - macdonalds opens nice and early and ski Nevis on Saturday. Stay in fort William as there are stacks of B&B's, early breakfast then drive to glencoe to ski Sunday. This will then give you an hours head start for return journey home.
snow conditions
Conditions look very appealing at my favourite ski hill (Nevis):

http://youtube.com/v/8KVyciRuym4
snow conditions
@daveqpr, good thinking. Didn't look at it that way
latest report
Ricklovesthepowder wrote:
@daveqpr, good thinking. Didn't look at it that way

I'm gutted I can't be there. Instead of ski poles I have crutches🤕
snow conditions
Ricklovesthepowder- Good tip from daveqpr, although Glencoe is only 35-40 mins drive from Ft Bill - we did it five days ago.

Have you been to Nevis? Seriously under-rated and (shhhh!) under-visited IMO:
- Extensive (for Scotland) skiing - brilliant in full cover.
- 600m vertical.
- No queues (esp. vs mobbed Cairngorm).
- Back corries fantastic - even better if Braveheart Chair is on.
- Great scenery and views of Ben Nevis - Traverse (descending)skier's left off piste (very flat and safe) from the top of the Summit Tow to the brow of the hill for a fantastic view of the lovely valley next to Ben Nevis. Great spot for a picnic in nice weather too.

Hope everyone who's up there this weekend has fun Very Happy - we'll hopefully get some English Pennines turns in.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy