Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomites 15/16

Poster: A snowHead
@Kiters, There is far more chance of howling gales and torrential rain in Cornwall than there is of not being any snow to ski on in the Dolomites! Your decision seems somewhat bizarre.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@RobinS, yea fab- it's called freedom of choice, sometimes it's right other times you miss out, but there you go!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Kiters, And having completely edited your post, removing the statement that after a few mild days you had decided to go to Cornwall instead - have you looked at the forecast and changed your mind?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes we have, off on sat choices you see!!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It has been quite cold here today - about 0 degrees warmest and -7 at the coldest. Pistes in excellent condition. Managed to ski 46km which is good for us. Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@erica2004, if you log in with your ski pass number to the 'check performance' on the Superdolomiti website you will see what you have done today and will be described as a Champ. You may well know this procedure already!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

You may well know this procedure already!

I didn't - thanks for posting that. I've just dug my last Kronplatz pass out of my jacket. Good to see what we did.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yes @pjd, I did check and am a champ at '5' and advised to have a rest 😬 Thought we'd go to Civetta today. It is snowing very lightly at the moment.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Snowing lightly in Alleghe.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Models are consistently forecasting a large fall on Sunday Monday. A Genoa low. Could drop half a metre or more ast altitude and perhaps a foot or more at village level. Will probably be somewhat disruptive for a day or two but that will be their first disruptive event of their season.

If they get this amount I would imagine it should set up the last 6 weeks perfectly. They are certainly overdue a big fall. Temps look average to slightly above.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Peter S, I see the Province of Bozen website - generally very accurate in my experience - is predicting 30-70cm in the south of the area - so presumably Gardena and Alta Badia, and 10-30cm in the north - Kronplatz, Sextner Dolimiten etc. As you say, should set up the rest of the season nicely
http://www.provinz.bz.it/wetter/mobile/suedtirol.asp
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Anyone in, near or recently been to San Martino Di Castrozza please?

Big snow rolling through.

Is there a base to cope with the 2m forecast between now and Tuesday?

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/SanMartinoDiCastrozza/6day/top

Looking at arriving on Tuesday, ski wed, thur, fri, sat, leave sunday.

Any recommendations for accommodation?

Looking at
http://www.booking.com/hotel/it/villa-aurora-san-martino-di-castrozza.en-gb.html?label=gen173nr-1DCAEoggJCAlhYSDNiBW5vcmVmaFCIAQGYAS64AQzIAQ_YAQPoAQGoAgM;sid=5cbf51ba1c69d2edfda897dcc8386d93;dcid=4;checkin=2016-03-01;checkout=2016-03-06;dist=0;group_adults=1;group_children=0;no_rooms=1;room1=A;sb_price_type=total;srfid=acba158915121bb80eb3dd4c92a448b21f7d7cf4X8;type=total;ucfs=1&

Thanks in advance
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Any off-piste yet?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
No. It has snowed lightly most of the day in Alta Badia with a couple of inches refreshing pistes higher up. Quite foggy too. Our last day and it was quiet on the slopes.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Oh. Sounds like the snow-forecast site has proved to be wildly over-optimistic again. A week ago, it said there'd be over a metre falling by now. Puzzled
snow report
They think maybe a foot over night in Corvara.
ski holidays
Stevo wrote:
Oh. Sounds like the snow-forecast site has proved to be wildly over-optimistic again. A week ago, it said there'd be over a metre falling by now. Puzzled

It was always forecast to start snowing overnight tonight and continue through tomorrow. The main fall should now come overnight Sunday into Monday
ski holidays
Its snowing heavily right now in corvara, heavier than it was yesterday, visibility is worse than yesterday at this time, looks like it may be quite a large snowfall.
ski holidays
Thanks for the update Duklaringy. Yep I can see the heavier snow on the radar and webcams right now.

Some sample depths of snow that fell in the past 24 hours are:

Alta Badia: 20cm
Val Gardena 15cm
Val Di fassa: 30cm
Arraba 25cm
San Pellegrino 50cm

Have to wait and see what the final depths are once the snow finishes falling, but so far the forecast depths were well overestimated in some areas
latest report
A very snowy Colfosco:

https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/italia/trentino-alto-adige/bolzano/colfosco-alta-badia.html
snow conditions
Forecast is looking wintry next 6 days.
snow conditions
I was wondering how could be the drive Venice-Cortina d'Ampezzo (A27+SS51) during a snowfall? is this SS51 road actively cleared, even at night, or should I be ready to mount the chains for the last miles to Cortina? 1st time going to this part of the Alps (this weekend), and while I was looking forward to great sunshine/amazing food in terrace/great scenery, no way I start moaning about powder snow Very Happy
ski holidays
You'll need to be ready with the chains, @Cedrick, especially if you don't have winter tyres. In very heavy snow it can build up a lot on the roads, in between passes of the snowplough. Sometimes you have to drive in a convoy behind a plough.
snow report

http://youtube.com/v/cbB_VRR0KVw

Not essential, but if you have one a head torch will make job easier
and ask the car hire staff to demo putting on the chains, or practice in the car park before you set off

Its not easy learning how to put on chains on a cold and snowy hard shoulder

re Winter tyres, it is unlikely these will be on a hire car, unfortunately
snow report
Ooh looking good for Selva next week 😊
snow report
Quote:

Ooh looking good for Selva next week 😊

Where did you see the forecast @MCL, I'm round the corner in Val di Fassa next week, but every forecast seems to be different. They all have some snow, but varying amounts and on different days.
ski holidays
Quote:

ask the car hire staff to demo putting on the chains

Laughing what a nice idea...
snow report
dublin2 wrote:

re Winter tyres, it is unlikely these will be on a hire car, unfortunately

anyone know any operators in Italy that are good for these? Certainly got them once in bergamo was pure luck though, think it was the only one in their fleet
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@8611, another poster referred to this link with Europcar which is the only facility I have come across in Italy to book cars with winter tyres
https://www.europcar.it/offerte-promozione-winter-2015#fromHP=true&place=small-8category=deals_teaser
snow report
^ I think one is available in English too if you play around with the search engines
snow conditions
thanks pjd
latest report
@EdYarker, was looking on snow forecast.com however they often predict lots of snow that seems to disappear the closer it gets to that day. Last time I looked they were predicting over 70cm between Fri and Sun, am not believing that although it would be good Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Snow-forecast.com other one is American. still saying a fair bit of snow due Very Happy
ski holidays
MCL wrote:
Snow-forecast.com other one is American. still saying a fair bit of snow due Very Happy

Still uncertainty on the latest GSF ensemble runs as to how much snow is due at the weekend. Best bet is to check the local Dolomites forecast site, which updates every day at 12:00pm. They are usually pretty accurate, but they completely overestimated the recent weekend snowfall.

http://www.arpa.veneto.it/previsioni/it/html/meteo_dolomiti.php
ski holidays
@Cedrick all hire cars in Italy that are going to the mountains are required by law to have winter tyres fitted so that will help but do take and try the chains before you leave.
snow report
@kevinraine, if only that were true. They are required by law to either supply chains or tyres and most supply chains. These will nomally be in a box brand new from the factory and more often than not zip tied shut. Getting into them at 7-8pm in the dark with no cutters or a knife is nigh on impossible. We have had LOTS of guests who have turned up with summer tyres and some without chains. It's a flippin disaster and really needs to be sorted out. Some of our latest guests were climbers well used to dealing with chains, who followed their GPS over a high pass. The chains given to them were crap quality and broke 3 times before they gave up and stayed somewhere for the night. The ONLY sure way to get snow tyres IMO is to fly to Austria rather than Italy as they always have snow tyres. But the flights are much more expensive on that side and it's a longer drive.
ski holidays
@Casa Alfredino, absurd isn't it. I've even looked at hiring a car in Bozen and Brixen, assuming that they must surely come with winter tyres. But at least from the agencies' websites, this is not so and it is also not possible to even book them online . I have also heard of people renting from Venice airport who have made arrangements with car hire companies in Slovenia, where winter tyres are easier to get, to bring the car over to Venice. Having said that, I have heard that the Europcar link I posted earlier does work.
latest report
It is absolutely bonkers. We have just booked a car with snow tyres for easter picking up from Bergamo (! - cautious, we are...) with europcar, after a couple of hideous previous experience of snow carnage on the road up to Cortina. I'll let you know how it turns out ....

Mind you, Europcar's snow tyres option is amazingly expensive, it's costing us over £300 for a week in a tiny car.
latest report
Quote:

@EdYarker, was looking on snow forecast.com however they often predict lots of snow that seems to disappear the closer it gets to that day. Last time I looked they were predicting over 70cm between Fri and Sun, am not believing that although it would be good

I must have looked at 10 different sites this morning and they all come up with something different about next week. I would be happy with half the amount of snow most predict but secretly hope for minimal snow fall whilst we are out there. At least they all seem to agree on cold temperatures, which should keep whatever snow there is in decent nick, and low wind speeds, so lifts all stay open. Hopefully their predictions will unify once we get closer.
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
Quote:

ask the car hire staff to demo putting on the chains

Laughing what a nice idea...

Yep I tried this once in NZ with a campervan, they started the demonstration and said the rest is easy.
I got most of the way up Arthurs pass then everyone was putting on chains, and then discovered mine didn't work because they were missing a bit. rolling eyes rolling eyes
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy