Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomites 15/16

Poster: A snowHead
pjd wrote:
Such divergence! During the course of Monday and Tuesday, snowforecast predicts 70cm for Gardena, with torrential rain up to 1800m. Bergfex predicts 5cm of snow for the same duration. The official Val Gardena site's forecast, which I've found to be pretty accurate in the past - no idea what underlying data they use - just has pictures of clouds and creeping sunshine. Bleedin hope snowforecast have got this one way wrong.

I'm pretty sure Snow-Forecast use the GFS op run...the freeze level isn't necessarily the snowline which is usually a few hundred metres below and can fall during an event as the precip brings down cold from upper layers...sleet often turns to snow once it gets going. Though if the weather is coming up from the South, that is a mild direction.

I would trust a local avalanche/weather service more than Snow-Forecast, ARPAV who take care of the Veneto region, so includes Arabba, Alleghe & Cortina, are saying snow down to 1100/1400m on Monday afternoon/evening, which should translate into snow in Arabba (& the main Sella Ronda resorts).

http://www.arpa.veneto.it/previsioni/it/html/meteo_dolomiti.php

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 12-02-16 9:08; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I notice Bergfex who use ZAMG output are now only going for dustings in the early part of the week and have a big event on Thursday...it's clearly still a very uncertain scenario to insert the necessary moisture into this driest part of the Alps...

http://www.bergfex.com/civetta/wetter/prognose/
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@luigi, thanks. Interesting that ARPAV too have only light snow with broken clouds for Monday.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I like the weather site of the Province of Bozen, both in terms of its content and prediction for next week, which is much kinder than the main GFS run -although it too for Sunday acknowledges the uncertainty
http://www.provinz.bz.it/wetter/mobile/suedtirol.asp
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pjd wrote:
I like the weather site of the Province of Bozen, both in terms of its content and prediction for next week, which is much kinder than the main GFS run -although it too for Sunday acknowledges the uncertainty
http://www.provinz.bz.it/wetter/mobile/suedtirol.asp

That looks very benign and would be a good outcome...but I notice they add the caveat on the main site...

http://www.provinz.bz.it/wetter/suedtirol.asp

'Die genaue Entwicklung ist aber noch unsicher. Auch zu Beginn der nächsten Woche bleibt das wechselhafte Wetter bestehen mit Wolken, Sonne und etwas Niederschlag.'

Translation...'However, the exact development is still uncertain. Also at the beginning of next week the changeable weather remains ​​with clouds, sun and some precipitation'

...so basically the weather next week will be...weather!! Laughing
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I think I've worked out why there's so much divergence...these GFS Jet Stream charts are showing a big disruption and buckling of the current WNW flow on Sunday which then drives the Med moisture from the SW/S into NE Italy giving those huge spikes of precip on the GFS op run...but knowing where and when the buckles in the Jet Stream will happen and what moisture they'll fire into the Dolomites is clearly an imprecise art.

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?&ech=6&mode=5

I'd be inclined to follow the local forecasts on this one, they've had years of experience at looking at the scenarios the models throw up and deciding how it will play out locally, but I think we're unlikely to get much certainty on this one until a lot closer the time.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Snowed moderately this morning - maybe 5-10cm in Gardena/ Seiseralm. The crazy snowfall predicted for Tuesday has softened massively and the week now looks like a mixture of cloud sun and a bit of snow. Slopes pretty deserted and in good condition Toofy Grin
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Lightish snow for much of the day here in Corvara. Nothing too heavy and nice to ski in. There's a lot of uncertainty about what the rest of the week will bring with snow-forecast and Bergfex offering almost opposite forecasts for each day.

Nice to be out in the snow and everything looking very scenic. A little sunshine would be good to top it all off but not much to complain about if it stays like this.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Damp and cool in Belluno this evening (+2C), but some wet snow (2cm) on the cars on the dealership forecourts, so must have been some snow at 400m. Hopefully the roads will be clear up to Alleghe in the morning.

Looks like pressure is rising as the week progresses, so a good chance of some sunshine, though the forecasts promise a bit more snow Mon eve into Tues.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Fantastic conditions this morning. Another 5cm or so fell overnight. Pistes in great condition and lovely blue skies. The stuff of travel brochures. It clouded over this afternoon but still wasn't bad. Looks dull over the next couple of days with more snow due Wednesday.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Can someone confirm what the snow will be like on 31 December when I return? Wink
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ghost Dog wrote:
Can someone confirm what the snow will be like on 31 December when I return? Wink

Artificial !!!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Snowforecast still predicting half a meter of snow today and tomorrow. Nothing so far in Kastelruth and local forecasts showing only a few cms.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Don't care about the snow - just enjoying a nice weisbeer on Lagazuoi - waiting for the meal to be served at 19:00.😵

Tomorrow it will an other bluebird day☺
Hidden valley will be perfect!

Birthday cake 🔜🎂

Snow all day today😈
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We are in Obereggen - snowed all day today (another 15-20 cm at least) but forecast sunshine tomorrow. Absolutely beautiful resort and perfect for us beginner/nervous intermediates.
snow report
@Bananamoore, welcome to Snowheads.
Gloomy old day in Seiseralm. Snowed lightly all day - maybe 10cm. Snowforecast way over predicted the snow and Bergfex was too mean - a common trait in my experience.
snow report
May have the opportunity to go to Corvara 5th March, good bet, looks enticing??
latest report
On the webcams its looking like the best day of a (very good) season so far, today snowHead
snow report
@Peter S, Yes it was a great day today! Very Happy
ski holidays
Superb day. Blue skies, lovely pistes, refreshed from the snow yesterday. @Kiters, you'd be mad not to!
ski holidays
Corvara in Badia, 18.02.2016

---- Travel anouncement -----

Attention, please!

For all arriving guests arriving via the Brenner Pass between 08.45 and 12.00 o'clock the following warning has been released:
Sunday, 02/21/2016: Due to defuse a bomb near Vipiteno the highway A22 and the normal road will be closed for all traffic. Please, avoid travelling during these hours and make shure you avoid the time frame indicated.

Wishing you a pleasent trip we send you

Kind regards
Isabell
Posta Zirm Hotel
latest report
pjd wrote:
Superb day. Blue skies, lovely pistes, refreshed from the snow yesterday. @Kiters, you'd be mad not to!

Just got back...Thursday was indeed glorious with blue skies, sunshine and groomed fresh snow. Did the WW1 Tour starting from Alleghe inc Cinque Torri & the Hidden Valley. Annoyingly the Croda Negra chair wasn't open so had to catch wheeled transport up to Passo Falzarego from Cinque Torri...managed to flag down a Cortina Taxi guy and shared costs with a group of Germans, so worked out at €3 a head...better than waiting another 20 mins for the skibus, though the queue at the Cablecar was about 20 mins.

Snowed hard all day Wednesday, so played in tree runs above Alleghe, must have been 15-20cm that fell, tracks were getting covered pretty quickly. They now have 200cm at top of Civetta area according to bergfex, most of that must have arrived in last 10 days.

It looks really set up for the rest of the season now after such a poor start, though of course temps and snowfall will affect conditions as March & Spring approaches.
snow conditions
@luigi, agreed. Piste conditions lots better by the end of the week. Looks like it will warm up over the next few days before returning to normal. Slightly off topic but we skied on Thursday from Seiseralm to Vigo di Fassa area. Got a bus to Pera from Canazei. Skied over the top from Pera. And then could find no ski bus back from Vigo to Canazei. Does anyone familiar with Val di Fassa know if there is one? Ended up calling a taxi for the distance.
latest report
pjd -- details of the bus service are here

http://www.fassa.com/EN/Skibus-service/

but it is a bit 'complicated' to understand ........ !

Oh - and thanks for taking the time to update us on the snow conditions Smile
ski holidays
@albob, thanks. Looks like, aside from a few buses at either end of the day, you need to change skibuses at Poza. Seems a strange way to run things. The Vigo area was pretty deserted and the ski bus set up makes it very difficult for people to divert off the Sella Ronda wheel on to it. Shame in some ways as it's a lovely area which (to return to the thread!) had some of the best piste conditions we encountered.
snow report
Two weeks today will be my first ski day of the holiday! Can't wait Very Happy
ski holidays
Selva webcam temps on Ciampinoi yesterday -5 :: today +5 !!!
snow conditions
One warning about the new Alba connection.
Friday moring was so busy, that there almost was a fight between people coming from Col the Rossi and people starting from Alba. Lift personal had to go between them to calm things down.
Saturday was much better.
The old Alba lift has become a lot busier - but Alba is now a great location for any direction. Madeye-Smiley . But not a place to stay if you look for afterski.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi folks - heading over to La Villa next week and this will be the first time for us in the Alta Badia/ Sella Ronda area. Hoping someone might be able to advise what to expect of the red alternative to the Gran Risa (number 17 I think).

Had a search through youtube, found one video but the quality wasn't great and found it hard to gauge difficulty/ steepness of the slope.

This will be our 4th ski holiday. Managed, without too much fear, a number of the reds around Madonna last year. Just trying to figure out the best way to get home at the end of the day Smile

Thanks
snow report
17 is a reasonable red, wide and always well pisted (as are all the runs in the SR).

There is also a blue option 24 which joins the bottom of 17 where it effectively becomes blue. If it remains warm the runs will get mushy at the end of the day but these runs face north so should be in better condition than elsewhere. An alternative would be to plan to download on the Gondola at the end of the day ?

I think you'll enjoy the Alta Badia and the Sella Ronda. Please report back what your impressions are snowHead
ski holidays
As Peter S says I'm sure you'll be fine on the blue and red for getting back. Even the Black 17 run wasn't that bad last week. But maybe not for your 4th week of skiing.
ski holidays
Smile Thanks for the replies.

See the weekend forecasts are starting to look interesting, just keeping my fingers crossed and counting down the days
snow report
Smile Thanks for the replies.

See the weekend forecasts are starting to look interesting, just keeping my fingers crossed and counting down the days
snow report
As Peter says the red 17 is nice and wide but it can get mushy and lumpy in the afternoon especially in milder conditions. For a decent intermediate skier the Gran Risa black is sometimes a better bet. It is a World Cup GS course so not too steep, although it is a genuine black, if that makes sense.
You'll be the best judge of it - have a look when you get to the fork, left black, right red. If the first steep pitch scares you, turn right!
The blue alternative which joins the red near the bottom is a bit boring and flat in places.

As well as the Sella Ronda try and get to the Hidden Valley - get a cab/mini bus from Armentarola to Lagazuoi (was €6 last season iirc).

The Pralongia plateau between La Villa and Corvara is Blue Run Heaven - enjoy!
ski holidays
@Hyst, wrote
One warning about the new Alba connection.
Friday moring was so busy, that there almost was a fight between people coming from Col the Rossi and people starting from Alba. Lift personal had to go between them to calm things down.
Saturday was much better.
The old Alba lift has become a lot busier - but Alba is now a great location for any direction. Madeye-Smiley . But not a place to stay if you look for afterski.

This is a bit worrying for me as we are staying in Pozza for the week from the 5th March and was hoping to use this link most days. Do you think it was especially busy because of half term or will it be a case of getting there early/ late to avoid the queues or even catching the bus to Canazei instead?

@pjd, thanks for the report about the Seiseralm to Vigo route. That is also close to our lodgings and sounds worth exploring for a day/ morning.
latest report
@EdYarker, Alba/Canazei was packed with danes as danish "winterholidays" was the same week as english half term. (I was one off them)

I can not tell about primo March, but I assume it will not be a busy time.

If you want fast access to the Sella area you should take bus to Campitello.

But Buffaure - Alba is a very nice run - you should not neglect it.
ski holidays
@Hyst, Thanks for the re-assurance.

I thought the Pozza- Alba route would be a nice leg warmer in the morning before heading to wherever we are going off the Sella Ronda. I would always try to ski before catching a bus if at all practical but I guess by the 2nd or 3rd day we will get a good idea of how long everything will take. I've heard that the queues for the Campitello Cable Car are often bad early in the morning so all the more reason to ski to Alba.
snow report
@EdYarker, no probs. It's quite a long day from Seiseralm to Vigo or v.v but full of beautiful scenery and nice long runs.
I'd recommend getting well acquainted with the skibus timetable for the Fassa region. At first blush it's complex and when you are 'on the ground' buses pitch up frequently going to weird and wonderful destinations that seem to bear no resemblance to where you want to go.
Looks like a decent amount of snow coming over the weekend, especially at altitude.
ski holidays
We arrived on Sunday and the pistes have got quite heavy in the mild conditions. Yesterday it was 11 degrees in Corvara!
snow conditions
@erica2004, snow is coming!

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 24-02-16 10:30; edited 3 times in total
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy