Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomites 15/16

Poster: A snowHead
@ima, not been this year so no first hand experience but it seems that because of the slight down from the top station you'd not be able to easily ski there but you would be able to get a lift up to the same point and then go down the new lift if that makes sense (avoiding a short up hill). Can someone confirm? Either way the red run (if open) is a nice run down into Canazei and this would seem a nicer/better alternative especially if you plan to go to Vigo/Pera ski area the same day. The only thing to think about this run (into Canazei) is that you (at least use to) have a short walk to the lift and/or buses.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
luigi wrote:
albob wrote:
luigi - the top station is next to the Col dei Rossi cablecar, but makes for an 'awkward' route to get to there for a download....!

So you walk out of the Cablecar station straight across to the new Funifor so you can download to Alba...not that awkward, unless you mean the wait for the cablecar...certainly no hiking uphill! Puzzled

No - by awkard I meant (if you were coming from say Arabba) having to ski down to the bottom the col dei rossi cablecar, in order to came back up again..
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Millom wrote:
@ima, not been this year so no first hand experience but it seems that because of the slight down from the top station you'd not be able to easily ski there but you would be able to get a lift up to the same point and then go down the new lift if that makes sense (avoiding a short up hill). Can someone confirm? Either way the red run (if open) is a nice run down into Canazei and this would seem a nicer/better alternative especially if you plan to go to Vigo/Pera ski area the same day. The only thing to think about this run (into Canazei) is that you (at least use to) have a short walk to the lift and/or buses.

You can't ski to the top station of the Funifor because it is at a high point of the area, but it certainly looks like you can take the Col Dei Rossi cablecar from Pecol up to it, the top stations of both lifts are right next to each other, as you can see in the photo posted previously...but I agree it's a bit of a faff, going up a lift to go back down another.

Of course all the old options for Alba, ie. skiing down to Canazei (if the run is open) and the walk through the village to the main road to catch a bus or downloading on the Pecol gondola, are all still available.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Millom, thanks - will investigate the week after next!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Today's GFS output is really upping the Genoa Low scenario for Sunday through to Wednesday next week.

Bergfex now have 51cm-82cm accumulation for Sun-Wed in Arabba with snowline down to 650m by Wed, Winter is finally arriving...that would set things up nicely for half-term week! snowHead

http://www.bergfex.com/arabba/wetter/prognose/
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@ima, let us know how you get on Smile. I would only go over to this area (Alba/Pozza) and the Vigo/Pera area if I was with a good intermediate group happy to ski easier blacks. I would say too time consuming and difficult for lower level skiers. The best runs on Alba/Pozza are the black to Alba and the red to Pozza i.e. the ones to the valley. In the Vigo/Pera area again the nicest runs are the long ones to the valley stations, blue (or blue/red or blue/black) Pera and red to Vigo.

By the way for Vigo you have an internal escalator than takes you up/down from town to the ski lift/end of ski run. You have a short walk for the bus but no need to go all the way up the hill on foot.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Millom wrote:
@ima, let us know how you get on Smile. I would only go over to this area (Alba/Pozza) and the Vigo/Pera area if I was with a good intermediate group happy to ski easier blacks. I would say too time consuming and difficult for lower level skiers. The best runs on Alba/Pozza are the black to Alba and the red to Pozza i.e. the ones to the valley. In the Vigo/Pera area again the nicest runs are the long ones to the valley stations, blue (or blue/red or blue/black) Pera and red to Vigo.

By the way for Vigo you have an internal escalator than takes you up/down from town to the ski lift/end of ski run. You have a short walk for the bus but no need to go all the way up the hill on foot.

WIsh I'd known that :>)
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@cameron

Smile

I left a quick response to your video further up the page. Just my alternative take on things, obviously we all see things a little different. Not to say either of us is right (except where we agree Smile).

By the way if you've not been to Latemar ski area try to visit in a future trip, I think you'd enjoy it.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
luigi wrote:
Today's GFS output is really upping the Genoa Low scenario for Sunday through to Wednesday next week.

Bergfex now have 51cm-82cm accumulation for Sun-Wed in Arabba with snowline down to 650m by Wed, Winter is finally arriving...that would set things up nicely for half-term week! snowHead

http://www.bergfex.com/arabba/wetter/prognose/

Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley

Alba from 13. febr. and will try the new lift at 8.00 or 8.30 - when does it open?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
San Pellegrino resort review up.

http://youtube.com/v/xYczddiP5BM
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Millom, thanks again, we're all good skiers so will try to persuade the others to head over there.

Meanwhile, I've just arrived in Chamonix for a long weekend. It's -2 in town and snowing hard. It's a tough life Smile
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Glorious......... ! Smile

snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Albob, I'm guessing that is the Sasso Levante chair??
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just seen on snow-forecast that a big dump is forecast this coming week! At last... contact me if you want some last minute deals... we have space and we're only 10 mins from Alleghe and 5 from Marmolada-Arabba! www.casa-alfredino.co.uk
ski holidays
jimmybog wrote:
Albob, I'm guessing that is the Sasso Levante chair??

I didn't know until you asked ! -- but, yes it is..
ski holidays
Casa Alfredino wrote:
Just seen on snow-forecast that a big dump is forecast this coming week! At last... contact me if you want some last minute deals... we have space and we're only 10 mins from Alleghe and 5 from Marmolada-Arabba! www.casa-alfredino.co.uk

No that's just unfair
latest report
It's official! The first big snowfall in the Dolomites for months is coming! snowHead

ARPAV the official Veneto Avalanche Service is calling for at least 40-60cm and locally as much as 80-90cm above 1500/1600m from Sunday into Monday morning. The snow-line will be hovering mostly around 900-1200m and will be heaviest in the Pre-Alps and Southern Dolomites and less so in the North.

There will be a further storm coming in on Tues afternoon, but ARPAV doesn't comment on any snowfall amounts yet.

http://www.arpa.veneto.it/previsioni/it/html/meteo_dolomiti.php

The 06z GFS charts show this as bringing another smaller, but still moderate snowfall over Tuesday night into Wednesday.

http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_display.php?ext=1&lat=46.5&lon=11.9
ski holidays
It is looking good isn't it.

And it's looking like there might be a topping up of fresh snow towards the end of next week as well. Perfect for those like me who will be arriving for the half term week.

I like the wetterzentrale ensembles. Maybe just because the scale makes everything look more impressive.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 5-02-16 13:25; edited 2 times in total
latest report
@luigi - great news at last!!hope it hits Madonna DC....will be there in March
latest report
olderscot wrote:
It is looking good isn't it.

And it's looking like there might be a topping up of fresh snow towards the end of next week as well. Perfect for those like me who will be arriving for the half term week.

I like the wetterzentrale ensembles. Maybe just because the scale makes everything look more impressive.

HI Olderscot, where is that chart for please
snow report
dublin2, this graph for south of the dolomites. I think further north will get less in forecasts but still plenty.
latest report
Thanks all, Could someone refresh my memory. The bottom row of squiggles is precipitation, and the top is temps ?
ski holidays
This chart is for roughly the south of the dolomites.

Corvara is at Latitude: 46.6, Longitude: 11.9. The chart is for 46, 12 so is roughly about 40 miles south and 10 miles east of Corvara.

It is only an approximation though. We can't use 47, 12 as that would put us in KitzBuhel.

You have it right though. The bottom ensembles are the precipitation, the middle lines are the temperature.
ski holidays
++
Meteociel have graduated their charts to a tenth of a degree, so this one is for coordinates very close to Arabba...

snow report
Simone wrote:
@luigi - great news at last!!hope it hits Madonna DC....will be there in March

Yep, looking good for Madonna too...what falls now will obviously help with the base depth come March, but won't dictate surface conditions then...that will be decided in the week or two leading up to your visit...but hopefully some more storms will pass through...

latest report
wow - them is some extreme wiggles... Good Luck to those travelling to the area on Sunday
latest report
red 27 wrote:
wow - them is some extreme wiggles... Good Luck to those travelling to the area on Sunday

Some of the figures on the 18z chart are quite scary! We don't want a complete lockdown in Arabba like the sH10BB Snowmageddon! Shocked

snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The skiing from corvara has been excellent all week. Looks like significant snow next week. Hope it doesn't get in the way of the skiing, the views or the lunchtime sun terraces ! Seems like more British out here this year. Better get here quickly Laughing
ski holidays
https://www.facebook.com/FuniviePinzolo/photos/pcb.1131041253603013/1131041133603025/?type=3&theater

Couldn't resist posting this twice. Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
Is it snowing or not? Doesn't look much from Web cams ..
Too much expectations Sad
latest report
http://dk.bergfex.com/belvedere-fassatal-val-fassa/wetter/berg/

It seems to be snowing - but not quite as much as prediction - more like a little over longer time. wink

Sorry, the english version:

http://www.bergfex.com/belvedere-fassatal-val-fassa/wetter/berg/

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sun 7-02-16 18:29; edited 1 time in total
snow report
toro wrote:
Is it snowing or not? Doesn't look much from Web cams ..
Too much expectations Sad

Looks like the Brenta Dolomites have fared far better than the Dolomites round the Sella Ronda area. Looking at the webcams through the morning and checking the radar, the snow never really got going in some of the main Dolomite resorts (Selva, Corvara etc). Even now the radar shows all precipitation fizzling out before it gets anywhere North of a line parallel to Bolzano. Looking like it could be a complete non event for some areas unless the snow intensifies significantly
snow report
We are all waiting for the" Event " miracle for this season. .. Shocked
ski holidays
I wouldn't stress too much about the precise amounts. The forecast shows small but regular top ups this week which is ideal.

The pistes are in superb condition with almost all runs complete and full width. Other than off piste skiing the Dolomites were the perfect ski-tourism holiday last week. Better still for telemark. I only saw four other telemarkers all week and two of those were friends from the lake district ski club 😀
snow report
In selva now!! Snowed very lightly all day, and temperatures around covara-San cass were -2 at gonadal in village, -5 on tops, very flat light most of the day, but piste pretty good, a few moguls on the home run danterceppies. Beer o'clock now wink)
snow report
Tragic
snow report
^ nothing wrong with a beer after s good day on the slopes snowHead
Looks like snow on and off for the next few days to me.
latest report
Yes we where waiting for a big dump ..but it did not happen. .need snow and more snow ..don't like skiing on artificial snow.
It's totally different feeling
latest report
Stopped off at San Pellegrino a few days ago in our motorhome but it was utterly windscoured and icy up top, same at Falcade, even the last 500m of the black to Falcade was a polished ice of a quality any olympic skating rink would be proud of (can you tell I'm a board rider?).

In Cortina today and probably about 20/25cm on the slopes by 4pm, very quiet. Still snowing at 9pm and looking forwards to the morning.

Kev
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy