Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomites 15/16

Poster: A snowHead
Skied the Seceda and Col Raiser side of Val Gardens today. Again piste conditions with the snow making was superb ( and better than we remember last year at roughly same time of year ). We were worried La Longia wouldn't be fully open but it was all the way down. Very very sunny today though....which is great at the time , but will not help for next week conditions !
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Mollerski, you must have been very quiet the one day we did make it in there! Great weather - missing those bright blue skies today. We were lucky it stayed cold.

I didn't see/hear any Russians either, but thought the proportion of Germans vs Italians was very high. Much less musical to listen to in the gondolas!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@dippdydoodogg, Might be because you went to a German speaking area? Puzzled
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
dippdydoodogg wrote:
@Mollerski, you must have been very quiet the one day we did make it in there! Great weather - missing those bright blue skies today. We were lucky it stayed cold.

I didn't see/hear any Russians either, but thought the proportion of Germans vs Italians was very high. Much less musical to listen to in the gondolas!

We did share it with the Ski School bar early doors. Some eves were livelier than others. A large Icelandic contingent had the Luiskeller rocking on one eve, a Dutch women's 'curling' team on another. wink

Yeah, heaps of Germans/Austrians, a fair few Dutch and we bumped into a surprising amount of Aussies.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hyst wrote:

Actually it's not. The first language in the Val Gardena Valley is Ladin/Ladino, the second language is either Italian or German depending on family ancestry. Both of which would have a heavy Southern Tyrolean accent.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mollerski wrote:
Hyst wrote:

Actually it's not. The first language in the Val Gardena Valley is Ladin/Ladino, the second language is either Italian or German depending on family ancestry. Both of which would have a heavy Southern Tyrolean accent.

Very true. Badia also predominantly Ladin, but Kastelruth and the Seiseralm, German.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
dippdydoodogg wrote:

In 2009 I was in Val di Fassa right at the beginning of Jan, was rammed with Russians over for the Orthodox New Year...lots of Italians in Canazei/Corvara/San Cassiano for the Capodanno weekend too, but they went home on the Monday evening. Witnessed quite a bit of argy-bargy in lift queues between Italians & Russians. It was also the year of the Tomba incident, when a Russian tourist smacked the Italian Ski Champion in the chops in an argument in a car park at Pragelato ski resort and Tomba had to be hospitalised.

I don't know if the backlash had anything to do with it, but there were planeloads of miserable Russians at Verona Airport at the end of the week, flying back to Domodedovo & Vnukovo...had to look those up when I got home...airports serving Moscow.

I guess the different nationalities have their favourite times and places. Val Gardena does see predominantly German-speaking clientele though.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
+7 @ 2000m today. Shocked Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I just noticed a big difference between this year and our last visit about 4 years ago. I speak some Italian so I'm always listening out for it (OK eavesdropping!). I don't have any Ladino though!

I reckon @luigi, is right, it's just a question of timing.

@pjd, ironically the day we spent in Alpe di Suisi/Seiseralm we met more Italians! Also around Secada and La Longia.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Drove over to 5 Torri and then on to San Cassiano today. Very good piste conditions everywhere. Best snow was in the Edelweiss Valley but plenty for all. No viable off-piste but a nice week in prospect for piste skiers.

snowHead
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Madonna di Campiglio was warm today, even at the top. The pistes are in excellent condition in the morning, still good, though spring like in the afternoon and churned up at busy intersections/icy in some places. Thankfully, today was the warmest for the next few days. The piste bashers have been working for hours every night to get things right and are doing a brilliant job.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Going to MdC for half term. Praying for some snow before then. None forecast in the next week...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@RosieL, If it's cold enough for snow making, don't worry. The skiing is very good even if the town has no snow.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Waffle, good to hear as we're also there at half term.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The thing that worries me (a bit) is whether they have any water left ?

It hasn't rained or snowed much since October and several people have mentioned that they were running low on water several weeks ago. I haven't seen any evidence of snow making on the webcams, but then I'm not out there.

Are they able to pump from lower streams ? Do the streams have any flow left in them ?!

I'll find out next week I guess, although early in the week its looking too mild to make snow Puzzled
ski holidays
Peter S wrote:

It hasn't rained or snowed much since October and several people have mentioned that they were running low on water several weeks ago. I haven't seen any evidence of snow making on the webcams, but then I'm not out there.

Are they able to pump from lower streams ? Do the streams have any flow left in them ?!

I'll find out next week I guess, although early in the week its looking too mild to make snow Puzzled

Yes I have heard about there being little water left in their main reservoirs. Have no idea whether they can pump water up from lower streams or not. One thing I did spot on one of the photos on a Seiser Alm trip report over on Alpin forum: you can see huge piles of snow being built up. Obviously this will be used along with (or instead) of snowmaking. Is going to be interesting to see how it all pans out during February if no new snow arrives. Certainly been one of the (if not, the) driest winter I have known for the past seven/eight years in the DOlomites
latest report
jimmybog wrote:
Peter S wrote:

Yes I have heard about there being little water left in their main reservoirs. Have no idea whether they can pump water up from lower streams or not. One thing I did spot on one of the photos on a Seiser Alm trip report over on Alpin forum: you can see huge piles of snow being built up. Obviously this will be used along with (or instead) of snowmaking. Is going to be interesting to see how it all pans out during February if no new snow arrives. Certainly been one of the (if not, the) driest winter I have known for the past seven/eight years in the DOlomites

Dipydydoodog reported on 19 Jan that they were still running the cannons overnight / looks also like a reasonable prospect of snow from 4 Feb
snow report
Agree that a little snow from the 4th looks likely at the moment. Hope so we arrive on the 6th. snowHead
snow report
The reservoir on the Spinale side of Madonna di Campiglio is still about a third full. The snow is lovely but am going to be waxing the skis in the morning to stop the afternoon sticking. Can't grumble, it's fabulous higher up. Only the lower areas are a little squishy. You would never know the snow is artificial.
ski holidays
twoodwar wrote:
Agree that a little snow from the 4th looks likely at the moment. Hope so we arrive on the 6th. snowHead

Support continues to build for a snow event around 3rd/4th Feb, with temps dropping back to seasonal average, so hopefully no rain in resorts.

Still looking quite uncertain, yet unsettled in FI with possible snow events around 7th and the precip goes off the scale on 12th along with deep cold, a potential Snowmageddon, but as it's an outlier right at the end of the run, there can be little confidence for it at the moment, but I will be keeping an eye on that one!
latest report
@luigi, We are hanging on . More in hope than expectation really but we are committed to our trip at half term. It will be Sods Law if we get a "Snowmageddon" weekend when we are driving out.

Have heard some chat that things are getting a bit iffy now in Sauze D (sp?) and some folk are taking a bus ride over the hill to Montgenevre to get some decent snow. rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes
snow report
White trails through the rocks and grass. But there is plenty of skiing on the hard pack. snowHead
ski holidays
We did the clockwise route on SR today and it was amazing. Pistes were pretty good the weather was warm and pure bluebird sky.
We're staying in Corvara and if I had to ski pistes in these conditions forever, there would be no complaints.
What a beautiful part of the world.
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
We've now skied Civetta, Sella Ronda (did bits off in Canezei, and Colfosco), Cortina and San Pellegrino.

All pistes complete and skiablw which is amazing considering the lack of real snow.
SR very busy, particulalrly Pordoi - Val Gardena seemed quieter.
Cortina amazingly quiet. Most pistes open including the old blue chair up to the black through the cliffs at the side.
Lots from the Pre Bday Bash going out to San Pellegrino and loving it. Lots of skiing above 2000m, quiet and gentle slopes. Would be amazing for off piste with a big dump. Beautiful blac resort run back to Falcade
Civetta holding up well. Probably the biggest and best variety of skiiing we've had. Lots of tree lined stuff and lots of lovely reds. Everyone loving Zoldo which has the amazing Mt Pelmo looming over you. The resort run to Alleghe simply isbreathtaking. Amazing views of the lake shrouded in mist wit the Dolomiti spires breaking out above.
We may do Alba and Belvedere tomorrow.
ski holidays
Out in Corvara next week. Forecast does not look too bad on GFS, meteociel and whatever bergfex use. The first part of the week is mild then cooling down. Dusting of snow indicated this weekend then again on Thursday. Visibility looks good and hopefully not too windy after Sunday so fingers crossed reasonable skiing conditions. Puzzled
snow report
It is all artificial hard pack but fine in the sun. Adjust for that and you will have a good time.
snowHead
snow conditions
Looks better for next week - about time, when we come in 2 weeks - let it snow at least one week before. Toofy Grin

Any news about Hidden Valley - is it open or not? Have read something her about being closed? Puzzled Shocked

Maybe we see mediterranean snowbomb coming up - would be fun - or? Toofy Grin

Lucky for the BB-Bash it does not look like it - othervice like SH 10BB on the return.
ski holidays
"Any news about Hidden Valley - is it open or not?..."

According to the dolomitisuperski site Lagazuoi to Armentarola (hidden valley run) is OPEN !!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hidden Valley are Great War route are, indeed, open.

Another bluebird day today. First earht appearing in tiny places on the piste. Can't grumble though. Remarkable conditions given the lack of natural stuff.
snow conditions
little snow turns into potential shedloads from the 4th. Snorkel at the ready snowHead
ski holidays
As @cameronphillips2000, says, lovely day today. Skied round the Seiseralm and the piste conditions were very good, particularly the North facing slopes.
snow conditions
twoodwar wrote:
little snow turns into potential shedloads from the 4th. Snorkel at the ready snowHead

The 00z is dialling back on the 4th, I guess the Genoa low slips down the Adriatic before it can do much damage, but sees the depression of the 7th/8th as a potentially game-changing dumper...as long as something becomes of each of them, it should keep the pistes fresh and add some Winter whiteness back to the sunny sides of the valleys again.

http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_display.php?ext=1&lat=46.5&lon=11.9
snow report
Cheers Luigi, winter whiteness would be good along with refreshed pistes. Here hoping
snow report
Not entirely sure but it looks like there may have been a wee dusting of snow this morning. Certainly some cloud about Confused
ski holidays
A few spots of drizzle at Treviso airport, but no serious precipitation. As I drove down from the Dolomites, there was a fair bit of cloud about, but nothing falling.

Having just spent a week skiing Alleghe, San Pellegrino, Cortina, the top end of the Sella Ronda and bits between, the situation is that you have almost entirely artificial snow on piste, which is of a very high quality. The area is busy, and it gets scraped down to hard-pack during the day. In places, the snow is superb, but that is superb for man made. White trails across a green/brown landscape. You can have a good time, but the snow is harsh and gritty as it is machine snow. This is not going to change in a hurry. Off-piste? No chance whatever.

Accept this, and you will have a good time. No point in pining for anything else at present.

snowHead
latest report
No snow on forecast next few days/week ...is it worth it to come over half term??
Disastrous season this year..😯
latest report
@toro, ???. Bergfex is forecasting 30-40cm for 7/8 Feb. It's a long way out and could change but the GFS ensembles support this too at the moment. In any event, I'm out here right now and have had a great few days skiing around. Snow is not too bad at all for on piste skiing Puzzled
latest report
Let's hope for snow ...
snow conditions
toro wrote:
Let's hope for snow ...

Yes, hope by all means, but the forecasts are looking good for a snowy interlude, so it's not blind hope!! wink

Bergfex now has 10cm midweek and 60+cm for Arabba next weekend, support has been building on GFS runs for these moisture-bearing Mediterranean lows for some time now...

http://www.bergfex.com/arabba/wetter/berg/

http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_display.php?ext=1&lat=46.5&lon=11.9

If I was booking now, I probably wouldn't be choosing the Dolomites for half-term, I'd be looking north of the Brenner, but if the forecast snow for the week commencing 7th Feb pans out, half-term week could be the best so far this season in terms of natural snow in NE Italy.
snow report
To bad we did that half a year ago. Madeye-Smiley Toofy Grin
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy