Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomites 15/16

Poster: A snowHead
@cameronphillips2000, I am still undecided about whether to get a car or not. My transfer times are awkward, sure, but I wonder how much demand there is for getting about in places other than Alleghe. I know you have a car. I guess, like me, you like to explore and go new places. Also wondering how to get 179 Missions and people in a hire car!

snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just spent 4 days boarding in Val Gardena, I was a bit worried about the lack of new snow but I must say the snow was awesome, some icy bits in places but generally it was fantastic, I can't wait to return when there has been a big dump, it'll be incredible!

Our only complaint was the slightly staid nightlife, we stayed in Selva and while there is a few bars the clientele was pretty dry and monied...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Chris Bish wrote:
@cameronphillips2000, I am still undecided about whether to get a car or not. My transfer times are awkward, sure, but I wonder how much demand there is for getting about in places other than Alleghe. I know you have a car. I guess, like me, you like to explore and go new places. Also wondering how to get 179 Missions and people in a hire car!

snowHead

I'm only there for the first week. Only Paul C has expressed an interest in going anywhere with me so you're quite welcome to come along.
I justified getting the car to my wife by saying I'd try and claw back teh extra cost from donations over the week.
When to you arrive Chris?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
mrvinegar wrote:
Just spent 4 days boarding in Val Gardena...

Good to hear. We're out in Selva for a long weekend next week. I was getting a bit worried about the lack of snow. Lots of brown patches on the webcams...

The Luis Keller is usually buzzing? Kronestube also, and Plan de Gralba?

Is the Hidden Valley run open yet? If not, does anyone know why?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@cameronphillips2000, If I drive, I will be in Alleghe mid afternoon on the 23rd. Thanks for the ski offer, but be aware I am old, poorly skilled and have a ropey circulatory system to look after. I also can only do the pre week as I need to be in La Plagne on the 31st. Tough life retirement!

I love 5 Torri and would like to revisit Cortina - I got a great buzz out of skiing the World Cup run that goes between those rocks on Tofana. Also fancy trying San Pellegrino. So many places so little time!

snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Chris Bish, you'd have at least two more takers for Cortina, in the shape of bladeskier and me.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
That is more than enough to convince me. Might be a bit of a squeeze with my big skis, but you don't take up much space. I am a cautious but OK driver, on the whole.

snowHead
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Chris Bish, bladeskier is extremely tall!!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Hurtle, @Chris Bish, yes I'm up for this. I've been before and know where we can park right next to a lift. We'll go through Cortina on the way so can see how the snow looks.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@cameronphillips2000, I'd be interested in doing a bit of exploring with you and PaulC if you'll have me.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Keep looking at updates to this thread thinking that there may be posts about the weather rolling eyes
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Well, if you stay polite, we will all be there in 48 hours or so and might be kind enough to give you first-hand reports.

snowHead
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
NehNeh Look forward to it Toofy Grin
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just finished my 4th day based in val gardena, and I'm blown away by this place. Snow is incredible considering. Usual icy patches late in the day but I've skied much much worse. Gorgeous almost Swiss like feeling, great value for money, yes the nightlife is more sedate but the skiing is so amazing you are inclined to quaff a few pints, have some great food and look forward to tomorrow's epic 100km piste orgy. Love it! Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
shiva_71 wrote:
Just finished my 4th, and I'm blown by this place. is incredible considering. Usual patches late in the day. Gorgeous feeling, great value for money, yes more sedate but you are inclined to quaff a few pints, have some great food and look forward to tomorrow's epic 100 pissed orgy. Love it! Very Happy

FIFY

What have you been upto - this sounds like a regular snowhead bash Happy
snow conditions
@shiva_71, what is a "Swiss like feeling"?
latest report
I agree about the Swiss like feeling, it has that monied vibe
latest report
I'm heading out to Corvara this weekend. Is anyone else worried about the weather? The forecasts I've seen show the temperature on the mountain hovering above 0 on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday Confused
ski holidays
We're in Corvara next week too, haven't booked our hotel yet, hedging our bets a little. Don't think the pistes will be too adversley affected as it's still freezing overnight.
snow conditions
I'm there the week after. Should be fine as long as the air stays dry. Next week looks good. light winds and plenty of sun. Virtually all runs open. Cool
latest report
Does anyone know if the 5 Torri and Hidden Valley areas are open? Not sure where to find these online.
ski holidays
nijm wrote:
Does anyone know if the 5 Torri and Hidden Valley areas are open? Not sure where to find these online.

http://www.dolomitisuperski.com/en/ski-area/cortina/lifts

today = 5 torri open : cable car up to the top of the Hidden valley run = open (but without slope..)
snow report
And no skibus to Armentarola. San Cassiano cut off!

Plenty open in Cortina though.

Thanks, @albob,

snowHead
ski holidays
I called the Alta Badia office yesterday morning and HV sadly closed. Swiss feel? Well I'm a bit fond of rustic wooden alpine farm buildings the nicest of which I've seen in Valais, but the ones here are equally georgeous. Did the Marmolda trip today. The long red down is a bit sketchy but the views are absolutely astonishing. And the drag lifts at the bottom to get back are long, through scented wooded forests...very enjoyable!
Was due back today but gonna stay another day. This place has truly raised the bar. It is a fantastic place, to those coming here for the first time you are in for an amazing time!!
snow conditions
@shiva_71, HV closed?
Shocked
Lack of snow?

It has to snow before I come HT Twisted Evil
ski holidays
End of a fabulous week in Madonna di Campiglio and Folgarida. Unbroken sunshine since we arrived, and consistently cold temperatures helped keep most pistes in reasonable condition. No off-piste to speak of, certainly not the easy to access stuff, but pistes in OK condition. Busy intersections are getting pretty scrapped, and there random patches of polished, hard-packed snow. Just about all the listed are open, with good snow coverage, no stones coming through. Generally not too busy, with no lift queues this week, other then a couple of the usual bottlenecks at rush hour.

All in all, a wonderful week of skiing in the Brenta Dolomites snowHead
ski holidays
@rob@rar, I love Madonna. Rose tinted specs but was was my very first ski holiday. I think I was spoilt because it is a beautiful area.

I also hasten to add that it was almost my last ski holiday too but we won't go into that, needless to say I recovered and lived to tell the tale!
latest report
Today in Madonna di Campiglio was glorious and sunny, still chilly and windy at the top. The pistes are in good shape. There is some hard packed snow about and a little ice, but nothing dramatic.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
In madonna since Thursday and the skiing has been great .pistes are in great condition for a resort that has had very little snow.1st time here and very impressed with resort.looking forward to another great day tomorrow.
snow conditions
I'm heading to Madonna di Campiglio , Folgardia soon, first time.
We will have a hire car, and planning to ski Pejo, MDC, Pinzolo and Madonna

I was blown away by the scenery a few years ago around Val Gardena (Hidden valley , Sella Ronda etc)

I am curious, How does the Madonna area compare to other Dolomite areas for stunning scenery
latest report
dublin2, I would say that the Selva end of the Dolomite's has the edge but the village of Madonna is very pretty and quite substantial. The views from the mountain tops are great but not in the same league as the Sella Ronda.
snow report
Skied Alpe de Suisi above Ortisei today. Minus 6 at start of day to plus 6 in bright sunshine later. Great day with pistes in superb condition given the snow fall there has been.
snow report
@jaunty jag, Welcome to Snowheads!
snow conditions
Back from a lovely week in Selva. The weather was absolutely spectacular with blue skies and sunshine every day. The pistes are in great condition but do get very hard packed and icy towards the end of the day - they could really do with some new snow to boost them. It's gorgeous higher up when the snow is 'real'. Didn't manage to hook up with @Mollerski! We stayed at Hotel Ingram which is the Plan end of Selva. It's a bit further from the town centre than we'd been before.
snow conditions
@dippdydoodogg, how was the Ingram ?? -- often checked it in TO brochures, seems in a good position...
snow conditions
jaunty jag wrote:
Skied Alpe de Suisi above Ortisei today. Minus 6 at start of day to plus 6 in bright sunshine later. Great day with pistes in superb condition given the snow fall there has been.

We came back on Friday from 8 days skiing in Seiser Alm/Alpe di Siusi (been going there for 10 years). Temps were from -12C to -3C with not much natural snow but the snow making is excellent and the pistes were in superb condition and really well looked after. No queues either. Went across to the Sella Ronda but stopped and turned around at Arabba because it was packed with p*ssheads whose skiing was decidedly dodgy.

The skiing isn't very demanding on the Seiser Alm but the freedom from dodgy Russians and lift queues is a real joy. We stay in Castelrotto/Kastelruth which is an unspoilt Medieval town with a free ski bus (10 minutes) to the lift to Kompatsch (15 minutes) where we keep our boots/skis/etc. in heated lockers.
snow conditions
[quote="irie"]
jaunty jag wrote:
turned around at Arabba because it was packed with p*ssheads whose skiing was decidedly dodgy.

Hey! I resent that comment. We thought that our skiing was ok considering. Very Happy

I've just returned from a 9 day drip based in Selva. We skied the whole piste map and didn't bump into one Russian. The embargos and the price of oil must be biting. wink
snow report
@dippdydoodogg,

Shame. We hit the Kronestube/Luiskeller at après time.

Again, blue skies, very cold, great snow conditions.

The temps are soaring next week however. Confused
ski holidays
@albob, the Ingram was good. It's very clean and friendly and has been totally renovated in the last few years. Nice little sauna/wellness area too. Food was good (isn't it everywhere). I wasn't mad on the location though. It's about 10/15 mins walk to the glass bridge and best part of half an hour to the supermarket.

The skibus stops right outside but it's not that dependable, especially outside peak times. You can ski home from the Plan de Gralba side, though it's very icy just now. You can also take the little chairlifts in the morning (can't remember their names) that link to the Ciampanoi via the Freina (where the weekly ski show is). That's a couple of hundred metres walking to the first one.

I'm not sure if it's just the particular week, but the clientele, although very nice, weren't much crack!
ski holidays
we're out tommorow just packing my sunscreen and flip flops!!!

snowHead Laughing Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy