Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Amade and Salzburg Super Ski - Snow Reports 2015 - 16

Poster: A snowHead
@holidayloverxx, check it out tomorrow 😉
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
7 days and counting Toofy Grin
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Timberwolf, Laughing
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Kooky, lovely, thanks. Everything looks fine!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
That's a brutal start to the Schladming snow-run... That first slope must be the toughest. I've hiked to the top in summer, but really tough on snow. Maybe next year...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@hammerite, isn't it always wink Faith!

We must meet up for a ski, are you in Maria Alm? I seem to have that in my memory Puzzled
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
He's in Wagrain so even closer @Kooky, I'm helping sort out junior with Siegi &Co next Saturday or Sunday.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm at zauchensee at the moment. I am genuinely amazed by the piste conditions. There has been more than enough fresh to create a nice and grippy piste worth very few hard spots. There is zero base (10cm max) so no off piste opportunities.
What's even better is that it's pretty much empty! So lovely long turns to to bottom!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Kooky, yes as @Samerberg Sue, says we're in Wagrain.

Maria Alm was no.1 pick for a little while, but the apartment we wanted to view sold so we decided to switch to Wagrain. Still looking for an apartment, but I don't think many will go on the market until towards the end of the season now.

@flangesax, sounds good!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@flangesax, missed you! We were in flachauwinkl then Zauch for lunch. Lovely conditions
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
When you say Flachauwinkl do you mean Zauchensee/Flachauwinkl or Flachauwinkl/Kleinarl?
It didn't think that Fw/Kl was open yet.

I skied down to the bottom of the highliner; it was super quick and grippy!

I was only there from 9 - 11 as Mabel was skiing with the club.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@flangesax, FW kleinarl. Open from the family shuttle lift. Not all open but enough for a quiet morning ski. We skied down to the bottom of the highliner as well...mostly great but pretty chopped up towards the bottom by then as you'd expect
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@flangesax, I think I saw you but I skied quickly away Twisted Evil
I really did find powder right up behind the world cup start. I didn't have the skins with me but it looked so inviting I hiked up about 300 meters, it was worth it but I cant say I skied it in any kind of style on the slalom skis Sad

@hammerite, ah ok, we must get a ski in then as we are practically neighbours!

@holidayloverxx, it was great to see you and Mr@holidayloverxx, again. I will try and get Ladies race off, thats always a really good night.

At least its got really cold here now, the real snow won't be far behind.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Kooky, awesome
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
KOOKY.........cant say I skied it in any kind of style on the slalom skis
Why ????? Sl skis...........no excuse
Toofy Grin
snow conditions
@Kooky, if I'm driving over from here after work to watch, then driving home again afterwards in order to be in work at 06:00am on the Wednesday morning, you can get over for at least part of the evening girl! Toofy Grin
snow report
@Kooky, a ski together would be great. Can't commit as to when yet as we'll need to sort out when Jnr and/or we have lessons.

Tossing up with the idea of getting out on Saturday afternoon once we get there. It's either that or stocking up at the Spar.

Anyone off to this on Saturday evening? http://www.wagrain-kleinarl.at/en/winter/events/riders-cup.html
snow conditions
@hammerite, no, I'll either be carb loading at my base in Altenmarkt or waiting for Dutch guests to arrive to do the meet and greet at one of the apartments I manage.

Have we exchanged contact details yet? I am still so out of it with these bloody drugs I start things and forget to finish them! Embarassed Embarassed
latest report
I have yours @Samerberg Sue, I'll PM you mine.
ski holidays
As an aside. I was speaking with the marketing manager of the Planai today. He said they had spent 6 million euro this year on additional snowmaking infrastructure. Each year from a total revenue of 40 million euro they spend another 6 million euro on the direct cost of actual snowmaking.

Also the Planai gondola is due to be replaced in 3-4 years. Chair K will also be replaced by next year (depending on how good the season has been).
snow conditions
A dusting on the top of the Planai this morning. Conditions good all the way to the mid-station. If you avert your eyes from the side of the piste then the snow conditions feel absolutely normal. Way, way better than this time last year. No. 1 open down to the valley.

All pistes on Hochwurzen look just about complete although it looked a bit sad looking down on it this afternoon.

There is approx. 40cm of snow on piste just above the mid-station.

It was mild, damp and humid in town this afternoon and 10C on the balcony. But two hours later when the clouds cleared the humidity plummeted.
snow report
Don't sound too bad.
ski holidays
Only the between piste tracks lower down are a bit knackered. Everywhere else with snow cannon coverage is in good shape. The cannons were running full gas for the first part of the week. I was surprised at the depth at the mid-station.
latest report
Similar here in bad hofgastein... about three inches of snow up top but moisture laiden... still fun laying down fresh tracks... gota say had most enjoyable skiing all week... so quite so runs holding out fine... out to schladming in three weeks so good to hear...
snow conditions
rain, rain go away...
Very wet early morning, eased off by the afternoon.
Didn't go skiing; watched star wars instead.
latest report
Hi guys, I am looking for some advise. I have booked flights to Linz 4-11 Jan and was going to stay in tiny resort caked Kasberg but it is small and low so now worried that with this warm weather that there will be no snow. So now I'm looking at larger, higher areas and was thinking about Schladming. It is about 3 hours by train but that's OK as my flight arrives early and leaves late, I was hoping not to hire a car so thought ski amade would be best or can anyone advise on anywhere with decent snow and reasonable access from Linz? Thanks
snow report
Just back from Schladders. Pistes are in remarkable condition. Moday to Wednesday last week were some of the best early season piste conditions I can remember. Hard artificial snow perfectly groomed. Skied at Flachau. Wagrain and Alpendorf last Tuesday. The Flachau side of Wagrain and the top of Flachau were excellent. The Flying Mozart and Moadorf runs were in great condition to the bottom. probably not worth skiing the Wagrain/Alpendorf side. Most the steeper runs were closed. None of the blacks open.

The best snow was probably at Haus. The red to the bottom was in excellent condition and the Ladies downhill looks ready to open. Pisted but narrow in places. Even on Thursday when the rain softened the snow the pistes at Haus were good until early afternoon. The rain stopped at 10.00am but the slopes were empty and we had some good fast piste skiing. The old Fun Box at the top of the mountain was probably in the best condition.

Head to Scladming if you are worried about the snow. The temperature is due to drop in the next few days so the snow cannons will be back in full operation.

I am back on 16th January for a week so lets hope we get a couple of big dumps before then.

Have a good Christmas everyone and a snowy New Year.
snow conditions
Thanks @Herr Hefski, I have now booked for schladming. Fingers crossed for low temps and some snow please Santa?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Booked in at Zell am See for a week starting Boxing day - with the limited terrain available there plus the inevitable hordes, I'm thinking we should jump in the car each day and ski different places, any suggestions for where could be best with the forecast conditions?

P.S. I know the glacier (Kitzsteinhorn) will be fine, but it will be heaving!
ski holidays
AthersT wrote:
Booked in at Zell am See for a week starting Boxing day - with the limited terrain available there plus the inevitable hordes, I'm thinking we should jump in the car each day and ski different places, any suggestions for where could be best with the forecast conditions?

P.S. I know the glacier (Kitzsteinhorn) will be fine, but it will be heaving!

Get a Salzburger card.

http://www.salzburgerland.com/en/ski-board/super-ski-card/22-ski-regions.html

Saalbach isn't far and lots open. Ditto Kitzbuhel with the link to Hollersbach open and only a short drive away.
snow report
@AthersT, definitely do Saalbach, it won't take long to get to get to from Zell. The Gasteins are relatively close too (no idea about conditions though).

We skied Wagrain-Alpendorf all day yesterday. then a bit of the Graffenberg early this morning and once we'd dropped Jnr off at ski school skied Flachau. The run down to the G-Link midstation at the end of the day was in excellent condition. The Flying Mozart was very lumpy at the end of the day - with bits of grass starting to poke through lower down. All in all though we had an excellent day.

Yesterday it was very sunny and warm (15C at 3pm at the top of the Graffenberg)). Today was a bit cooler - 3C down in Flachau most of the day, 7C at the top.
snow conditions
If you want to avoid the crowds at busy periods some of the smaller areas may be better. Have skied Wildkogel and really enjoyed it. Most of the runs are high up and face south so might be good in these conditions.
snow report
Thinking something like this -

1-2 days depending on how the weather is at Zell/Kaprun
1 day on Hochkonig (Maria Alm, Dienten etc)
1 day Saalbach
1 day Kitzbuhel

Then the spare day could be a flex day depending on what I feel like.
The OH has expressed an interest in doing the Tauern Spa at some point and maybe a day trip to Salzburg if conditions take a turn for the worse still.
snow report
Maria Alm is a good shout, also pretty close to Zell.
snow report
AthersT wrote:
The OH has expressed an interest in doing the Tauern Spa at some point...

Normally I grumble if my wife makes suggestions like this as I'd rather be on the hill, but we finished early the other day and went to the Tauern Spa for a few hours late afternoon before flying home. I've got to say, it's a fabulous place and I really enjoyed it. That's high praise from me as I'm usually bored silly after 20mins!
ski holidays
Good skiing so far this week. Enjoyable afternoon with Scarpa yesterday. Today we skied Kleinarl, Flachauwinkl and Zauchensee, took it very easy, mid-week rest!. Very limited around Flachauwinkl and very spring like, but still good at Zauchaunsee.
latest report
Will be in the area from Sun-Sat next week. I know snow conditions aren't perfect or ideal and the area desperately needs snow, but I'm trying to keep a positive attitude for having a great New Year's ski week. We may not ski every day like we normally do, but would love some tips on specifically where to ski next week. We would normally start each day in Alpendorf (it's near where we hang our hat in the area when we vacation down there), but we are willing to drive and arrive early to get the best conditions. Zauchensee, Sportgastein, Schladming? Anyone have tips for next week?
ski holidays
@novafan, considering it hasn't snowed for so long and that it's been warm this week (so very few cannons have been on even at night) conditions are very good. We're staying in Wagrain and have skied parts or all of the Grafenberg/Geisterberg 3 of our 4 days so far. Granted there is no off piste and not every run is open (mainly black runs closed), but there is still plenty to do.

Zauchensee will be worth going to as well. We've not got a car so not been to the Gasteins or Schladming, hopefully someone else will be along to advise.

Certainly lots to keep positive about!
snow conditions
We are in Maria Alm at the moment and whilst we are skiing on strips of man made snow I have to say what the resort are managing to do here with very little help from nature is remarkable. We skied the Konnigstour a couple of days ago and apart from a couple of icy connecting runs it was in very good shape. Not sure how well it will hold up if it gets busy for New Year, but as things stand we are having a great time.
latest report
My first day of season skiing at schladming yesterday and as above impressive what's been done with the artificial snow. Piste mainly great, one or two sections breaking up into death cookies but all skiable. Even a small play off the Piste higher up for some early morning rock hard ice bumps. Very quiet too. Snow machines back on for the lowest slopes this morning, a few degrees below zero though warmer up top. Thanks to lack of snow I could see lots of very new downhill mountain bike trails that must have been built after my trip in September. I was wanting to get my bike out,in fact I did take on of the tribe for an afternoon bike ride in the valley.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy