Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Your best tips for absolute beginners

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
hawkwind wrote:
Brought a smile to my face on a monday morning Smile
I was almost 40 when i 1st went , your in for a treat! and an addiction!

Great advice above and i second the videos , they are great to watch and take in, no need to take them too serious , just watch and it will all make sense when your out there.

Few pointers from my experience ,

Your gonna have all manner of clobber and be wrapped up all toasty arriving at the slopes , make sure its layered and dont be afraid to take the jacket off , 1st couple of days the sweat will be flying out of you , its all a bit of a drag side stepping and button lifts and tense bodies, you will be running hot.

Take 5 minutes to figure out a way to carry the skis and poles etc , they can be a awkward till you figure out your way of carrying them Smile
Oh and leave them outside the pub and dont worry , they wont be stolen, i used to sit beside them and panic.
If the boots are sore , open them at lunch and taking them off at the end of the day will be bliss.

Should of put this first , but lessons and more lessons Smile

Enjoy the mountains , take the lift up to the top , usually you can take it back down again , have lunch there. hard as it is to believe there is every chance youll be skiing down toward the end of the week!

Just take it all in and enjoy it , its like a drug , i always pine for the 1st trip again , we all laughed so much day and night for a week.

Not to alarm you but my gf's got "stolen". Well more of a "took the wrong skis" from another renter. Rent shop will swap you a knew pair. My advice to avoid this, as alot of the rent skies are similar is to cross your ski's with your friend/son/partner. Put your smaller ski with one of the bigger ski's keeping them separate which stops people taking yours by mistake, as who wants two different sized skis.

My legs have never been worse than after my first lesson and day of skiing. Id get that out the way here before your holiday, i could barely walk the next day let alone ski Laughing took the day off work. "Boss, i cant come in today...."
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Popsie wrote:
... and dread...

When did you last fall over? Kids do it all the time, adults don't. So kids are more fearless on skis. Practise falling over. Go into a park and fall over on the grass. Do it a few times. Keep your head off the floor. Then you won't worry about it and you will be able to enjoy the skiing.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A@22 dropout, Sound advice . . . . Except that children are small people, don't fall as heavily nor as far, and are more likely to bounce than I am. On the other hand, if Exeter has 10 inches of snow between now and January, I might be prepared to try throwing myself to the ground to see how it feels.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Popsie, I wouldn't recommend that! But icy pavements in the UK are just as likely to lead to a fall - and much more likely to lead to injury - than falling on a ski slope.

I don't think it makes sense to tell people to fall over deliberately, really.

If you have a good instructor, and listen and do what you're told, you can learn to ski with very little falling over. On the other hand, being mortally afeart of falling can be paralysing - so getting a few falls in early on can actually be quite helpful.

If you've taken on board the advice to strengthen leg muscles you are far less likely to injure yourself if you do fall.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Win the lotto now , it saves on all the pain of seeing "cheap deals" or dreaming of heli skiing or seasons in the Alps.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Popsie wrote:
So . . . . . Fitness improving, my next query is about kit. I see Lidl will have winter gear in their stores next week, is it worth buying their goggles? I'm not expecting to be ripping down the piste, but even so, if conditions are bright I will need eye protection. I don't fancy paying £35 upwards, but equally I don't fancy spending the week trying to peer through mist lenses.

I would say no to LIDL goggles. I use them for painting a ceiling and that is about it. A good place for Goggles is own brands eg sundown from Blues the ski shop. I had a pair of their top of the range and they were only £35.

http://www.tiso.com/blue-sund-1109058/sundown-rush-pl40-amber-fm-ski-goggles-injection-pink-blue-sund-1109058

However, perhaps Santa may send you some. Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
GlasgowCyclops wrote:
Popsie wrote:
So . . . . . Fitness improving, my next query is about kit. I see Lidl will have winter gear in their stores next week, is it worth buying their goggles? I'm not expecting to be ripping down the piste, but even so, if conditions are bright I will need eye protection. I don't fancy paying £35 upwards, but equally I don't fancy spending the week trying to peer through mist lenses.

I would say no to LIDL goggles. I use them for painting a ceiling and that is about it. A good place for Goggles is own brands eg sundown from Blues the ski shop. I had a pair of their top of the range and they were only £35.

http://www.tiso.com/blue-sund-1109058/sundown-rush-pl40-amber-fm-ski-goggles-injection-pink-blue-sund-1109058

However, perhaps Santa may send you some. Happy

Ask santa! Really, i made the mistake of going without them. Id say there the most important park now. I wear contacts and on a misty day, it was so bright i couldnt see, it hurt my eyes. Thats not to mention the fog, imagine how sore it would be on a sunny day ouchie. I ended up splashing out and wont ever ski without goggles again! I found they never steamed up except when my beanie slid down and covered the vents. A bit of advice. Dont slide your beanie up, leaving a half moon of forehead visable to the nice sun. Your left with that mark for a good month back at work Laughing
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Some sort of UV protection is vital for your eyes, be it googles or sunglasses. I prefer sunglasses but others prefer goggles. If you go shopping for goggles take your helmet with you to check they fit ok.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
hotchy wrote:
Ask santa! Really, i made the mistake of going without them. Id say there the most important park now. I wear contacts and on a misty day, it was so bright i couldnt see, it hurt my eyes. Thats not to mention the fog, imagine how sore it would be on a sunny day ouchie. I ended up splashing out and wont ever ski without goggles again! I found they never steamed up except when my beanie slid down and covered the vents. A bit of advice. Dont slide your beanie up, leaving a half moon of forehead visable to the nice sun. Your left with that mark for a good month back at work Laughing

Luckily her amazing son has some spare goggles that they can use. In terms of helmet it'll probably be a case of renting one for this first trip, my dad is convinced that he'll never ski again so will only need the kit for this one week. I'm inclined to agree with him, seeing as he's already had to buy socks and base layers there's probably not too much point in getting a helmet until he knows if he enjoys skiing.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rayzor-Professional-SnowBoard-Mirrored-Anti-Glare/dp/B002MQ6LTY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1448381397&sr=8-2&keywords=ski+goggles&tag=amz07b-21

£20.00

Get silk liners if you are going when it is really cold.

Warm under layers will help you enjoy the holiday.

Lessons.

Dont over do the alcohol.

Find the nice places to eat, not the crap place at the bottom lift that is the easy default choice.

Spend more than 5 minutes in the rental shop, make sure the boots fit, the bindings are done up and that they know you are a beginner and not a slalom expert.

Dry your boots properly at night.

Dont over tighten your boots , this will give you cold feet.

Have a wee before you leave the apartment, and if you can't hold it beware the slippery tiled floor down a staircase that is steeper than most black runs.

Dont ski drunk.

Hope that helps.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy