Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serre Chevalier/La Grave road closure/Tunnel du Chambon

Poster: A snowHead
pam w wrote:
Dissuade non-local traffic, I suppose.

Non local traffic is free to use it, as has been stated by the authorities (see video link posted twice above). Anything else it will be via signs, like any other road that has weight, length restrictions.

> No minibus,

where did you see that?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@davidof, there's no way that road will be able to handle weekend holiday traffic, it'll be mayhem!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@KenX, which is why I think they might just close it on peak weekends. I'm sure I did read somewhere that there would be restrictions on weekends and peak season dates, but can't find the link right now.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It's no coaches, not no minibuses..... I guess the weight/length will be the deciding factor there.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
KenX wrote:
@davidof, there's no way that road will be able to handle weekend holiday traffic, it'll be mayhem!

Hmmmm, I can see you've not lived in France for very long.

That said, there is a plan to have it one way on transfer days. Say downhill in the morning, uphill in the afternoon. I'm sure plans will evolve though once they see who is using the road.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I just assumed a minibus was in the same category as a camping car. Many are built on the same chassis. Or maybe they only mean coachbuilt campers.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
And on that basis what is my van?

But as I've tried arguing before at Frejus - it's less than 2m and front axle to bonnet is less than 1.3 ?

Like I say I'm staying well clear until things settle down, so that will probably be April then rolling eyes
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Weathercam wrote:
And on that basis what is my van?

But as I've tried arguing before at Frejus - it's less than 2m and front axle to bonnet is less than 1.3 ?

Like I say I'm staying well clear until things settle down, so that will probably be April then rolling eyes

If it's a VW t4/5 or Renault Traffic it can be a car, a V5 showing estate or MPV normally defeats the most determined official (if it's under 2m high and 6m long), or at least his/her boss (a Mont Blanc tollborth operator tried to charge me large van rate for a Mazda Bongo, I insisted on seeing the guys boss, who promptly informed me his underling was an idiot and charged me normal car rate)
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Idris, when I tried to "debate" this the guy in the toll booth turned round and pointed to a A4 photo and description of a VW T5 with a NON on it on the wall of his booth, which sort of deflated / defeated me - must be to stop commercial vans?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
davidof wrote:
KenX wrote:

Hmmmm, I can see you've not lived in France for very long.

Correct, only 6 months, still getting up to speed Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Short report on france3

http://france3-regions.francetvinfo.fr/alpes/isere/la-route-de-secours-du-chambon-est-desormais-ouverte-862383.html
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Spanking : looks better than the old road Wink
Drone fly over below - What is all the fuss about...

https://www.facebook.com/lagravedrones/videos/vb.1153416914765418/1492214187552354/?type=2&theater
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
What a great video! Probably the best view we'll ever see of the RS 1091...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Had a drive this afternoon of the road. Surprisingly wide apart from near the LDA side. There were traffic lights which they will probably use at busier times.

A lovely cycling route when the tunnel reopens.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Wow looks like a really good job. Maybe we will get over to see ClaudeB this winter after all.
snow conditions
@Hells Bells, Happy and vice versa. I drove up to L2A shortly before it opened, all the dignitaries were milling around.
snow conditions
One of the vehicles in the France 3 Alpes report was a converted van that the owner was clearly going to live in all winter in La Grave, it looked to have a longer wheelbase than most minibuses, the report didn't show it driving on the new road though.
snow conditions
Just wondered if anyone on here has used this route as yet? We're travelling down to Puy st Vincent in Feb and have always used the Lautaret route and may indeed be looking to stop off overnight in La Grave if possible. Any local info appreciated.
ski holidays
@philipb, KenX has, he visited me in L2A. PM him if he doesn't see this.
latest report
@philipb, No problems or restrictions apart from the list above, "may" be an issue if it snows or is icy, snow tyres a good idea, but you'd have those anyway if you're going over the Lauteret?
Oh, and enjoy the view of the lake and dam on the way back to Grenoble Very Happy
latest report
@KenX, thanks. Glad to hear that as we've always enjoyed the drive over the Lautaret. Subaru Forester with snow tyres so should be ok Very Happy
ski holidays
@philipb, when driving up from Grenoble it can be very disconcerting to see all the signs saying the road is closed and then the signs for the detour etc

Most people I've spoken to have felt exactly the same, in that they are nervous that for whatever reason, be it just for that day, that when they arrive at the damn they'll find the new road is closed. In fact I know one couple who turned back near the damn!

Yesterday we were hiking up to the Galibier road from just below the Lautaret and then back down to the restaurant, where I bumped into an American guide I know from LG and we were chatting with Philippe the owner and I mentioned how I thought that there would be far more people around and he simply said it's because of the road, he used the word "forbidden".

Then Joe, the guide from LG said when he was first driving up he made some calls to friends in LG to double double check that it was indeed open.

Anyway from what Joe was saying and from what else I've heard would seem that there are some issues with the lift and not just because of the lack of snow, but could be the usual French farce.

I'll hopefully find out more later today as I'm staying over there tonight.
snow report
Weathercam wrote:

Anyway from what Joe was saying and from what else I've heard would seem that there are some issues with the lift and not just because of the lack of snow, but could be the usual French farce.

I'll hopefully find out more later today as I'm staying over there tonight.

The lift? There is a court case between the town and Creissels at the moment. Creissels doesn't want to open the lift at the moment due to the snow conditions saying it is dangerous and will leave him liable if there is an accident and the town saying it is ok for climbing. Anyway the lift is open now so it seems the town has won for the moment but you can't ski, the glacier must be heavily crevassed.

The department has given 450,000 euros for the new cable, although it wasn't that long ago that it was changed.

I noticed there was a mag in the newsagents - a little freeride thing with a white cover that had an article "last year to ride la Grave" or something along those lines.

You can see it looks very dry in this photo from this week

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 31-12-15 10:50; edited 3 times in total
snow conditions
@davidof, OK that's sort of what I heard though did not want to say it on here.

Basically they will not open the lift, snow or no snow till the case is resolved, though then I heard they were open for pedestrians.

Joe was very frustrated in that the lift Co is not selling season passes or day tickets. They are not selling passes to the guides who want to go up there and check the conditions out. He has had a whole load of clients cancel, so was thinking of offering Glacial terrain courses and the like, but as he said if they won't let him up there to check things out how can he offer them.

And then if you look at the site, it says it's only open for pedestrians from 10:00 - 15:00 so presume anyone travelling up with gear will not be allowed ???!!
snow conditions
Weathercam wrote:

Don't worry, I'm just repeating what I read in the Dauphine on the 25th so no secrets. I must see if I can take a look at the article in the mag I saw to see why it is the last season - probably not true as the cable has been changed at great expense.

Be interesting to hear more local news.
snow report
@davidof, There was a thread about this:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2763022&highlight=grave#2763022
ski holidays
Chamcham wrote:
@davidof, There was a thread about this:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2763022&highlight=grave#2763022

The last year to ride la Grave rumours are a regular event, I learn not to pay much interest. Not that I've skied their for 15 years anyway.
snow report
It is now going to be twinned with the Lecht...

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/aberdeen/792447/storm-frank-a93-completely-collapses-river-dee/
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
davidof wrote:
Weathercam wrote:

Don't worry, I'm just repeating what I read in the Dauphine on the 25th so no secrets. I must see if I can take a look at the article in the mag I saw to see why it is the last season - probably not true as the cable has been changed at great expense.

Be interesting to hear more local news.

The word on the street, via local contact, is that they got government subsidy to change the cable however there is still uncertainty over who will run the lift. Lease expires at end of the winter and the locals still seem to be debating the best way forward. As ever there needs to be a balancing act between making the lift commercially viable and preserving the unspoiled atmosphere of La Grave.

My guess is that the lift will keep running (when push comes to shove) - however until the last minute various parties will use threat of closure as a negotiating stick with various government groups / local groups / investors <etc>. No doubt those involved keep cards close to their chest - hence the rumors ?

Also : I suspect that at present with low snow conditions and obvious road issues they are not keen to run the lift at a (likely) loss ?
Once it snows then I would hope that will change....
snow report
Haggis_Trap wrote:

My guess is that the lift will keep running (when push comes to shove) - however until the last minute various parties will use threat of closure as a negotiating stick with various government groups / local groups / investors <etc>. No doubt those involved keep cards close to their chest - hence the rumors ?

The lift, unlike many of the low lying ski resorts, is considered an essential tourist attraction in the summer too, so this probably sways govt spending. Not that there is much cash to splash and with most if not all the local ski resorts with layoffs at the moment things will be even more critical.

But you are 100% right about the balancing act. The lift just doesn't attract enough skiers, maybe 60,000 during a winter where as in the glory days it was more like 100,000. Creissels has complained about this but what is to be done? In Grenoble, which should be a major catchment area, it is virtually off the map apart from a few hardcore freeriders.
ski holidays
Last October I was round a mates house for dinner, he is a LG guide and is on the commission. His wife works for the bureau des guides. Alongside us was Pelle Lange, who runs the skiers lodge and who I've known since 97 plus Jo Vallone.

Mid to late in the dinner they all started talking about the lift and the future of LG.

I actually thought it was a wind-up and said to my mates wife as such to which she replied that it's very rare for them, and that it had been a long time since they'd all been in the same room.

It was quite weird as it were for an outsider looking in as it were, and quite staggering that there was not decisive POV.

So all you read and hear was thrashed out, but don't think this court case was happening back then, nor obviously the dire conditions.

As @davidof, says all these rumours are a regular event, but this time round what with the road and weather could be a cause for concern.

I'm not going to raise the subject tonight at my mates as he's probably tired of all the drama and maybe now worried. And I hate to think how Pelle's getting on with no doubt many many cancellations.

Then later we move on to the Edelweiss and there's only 20 of us when previous thrashes numbers have been in the 40's.
snow conditions
Just read this on FaceBook would seem that the Police were turning people back last weekend!

My mate left on the Monday from here at 17:00 and had no issues

Après les gendarmes bloquant la route de secours samedi, les gendarmes filtrant les véhicules à Vizille dimanche, et l'installation d'un panneau lumineux à Vizille lundi, ledit panneau lumineux a été mis en service aujourd'hui au rond point de Muzet à Vizille indiquant que la RN91 est fermée, qu'il faut passer par Gap pour rejoindre Briançon ! Bon courage !
snow conditions
Update to the above.

Indeed the police did stop "tourists" from using the road on the weekend of 26th / 27th December.

Marlon from the Edelweiss said the Prefecture has said that would not happen again. Though it could well be closed due to adverse weather conditions, which could well be the case this weekend!

If it does close then she'll get an SMS advising as such - and I advised her to then put that on their FaceBook page, but not 100% that will happen.

So if you are travelling and need a stop over then pre book a room in the Edelweiss and then you can ring her up as well as having an email confirmation that you are staying in LG so there will be no issues, apart from the weather!
ski holidays
Hello All,

there is a group of us heading to La Grave in a couple of weeks time. At the moment, one of us is definitely flying into Geneva and the others might be heading to Turin. Just wondering, what might the best routes be? Any help would be great.

Thanks
snow report
Dublinfella wrote:
Hello All,

there is a group of us heading to La Grave in a couple of weeks time. At the moment, one of us is definitely flying into Geneva and the others might be heading to Turin. Just wondering, what might the best routes be? Any help would be great.

Thanks

The most recent time I went to La Grave from Geneva I took the public bus from Geneva airport to Grenoble train station and then from Grenoble train station took the public bus to La Grave. It was a straightforward journey although quite long, but you can get traffic delays. I booked in advance to ensure I had places, however the traffic was light that day and I arrived at Grenoble much earlier than I expected, however I managed to get on an earlier La Grave bus.

The above obviously assumes that the bus service from Grenoble is still operating.
ski holidays
Hi @richjp, sorry, I should have said that we will be renting cars and driving. I was just wondering with the road closed/open/temporary etc, what/which way should we go.

Thanks for the bus info though.
snow report
@Dublinfella, The road being closed doesn't really affect your travel plans, from Geneva go via Chambery and the Frejus tunnel, from Turin go via Oulx and the col du Montgenevre and both then go on through Serre Chevalier to LG (about 40 mins)
The Geneva crew COULD chance the new relief road west of LG, but no guarantee it'll be open if the weather's a bit squiffy, if you do go that way, you'd probably need snow tyres/chains in case the police are checking and have your accommodation confirmation in LG to hand to show you're going there.......
snow report
Dublinfella wrote:
Hello All,

Thanks

Currently in La Grave. The temporary route de secours is A-OK.
Just be aware that all the way from grenoble the road is marked 'ferme'.
But once you arrive then there is a secret road on right side of barrage.

They are clearing road of snow. It could close in event of large snowfall to 1000m.
But in that case col du lauteret likely shut also. In which case no oneis getting there.

This could be the year to visit LG. Town is very quiet.
Maybe only 40 people on hill today for some excellent tree skiing.
ski holidays
HI @KenX, ah - so taking the relief road is taking a chance, but does save 40 mins? Hmm, late night arrival - saving 40 mins is very tempting. OK - thanks, just trying to work out the best options. BTW, very much enjoy your posts regarding all your upgrades to the new place...fair play, very impressive.
latest report
Haggis_Trap wrote:

Just be aware that all the way from grenoble the road is marked 'ferme'.
But once you arrive then there is a secret road on right side of barrage.

They are clearing road of snow. It could close in event of large snowfall to 1000m.
But in that case col du lauteret likely shut also. In which case no oneis getting there.

This could be the year to visit LG.

All very true!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy