Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Three Valleys 2015/2016: Méribel, Courchevel, Val Thorens, Les Menuires, La Tania

Poster: A snowHead
@Little Martin, a big +1. Ensembles trending towards a sustained warm spell with a big spike in precipitation towards the end of the month. Hopefully one of those will give.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just bagged a £329 dealo from S ski.
Looking forward to great weather.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Some absolutely glorious skiing available on piste around the 3V's at the moment. I'm sure this is the best I've seen in March. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just in from a cracking day today, snow was great in Courchevel, Meribel and St Martin.
Pic bleu was open today and we headed down that first thing and it was great, no ice to be found and we had the entire run down to ourselves to the Altiport chair.
Bloody freezing up the roc de fer and Olympic chairs but views from the top were stunning and the ski down to St Martin was great. Did some laps of Jerusalem and I see where it gets it reputation from, cracking run!
Back home via Courchevel where Marmottes, park city and Suisses were great, snow softening the afternoon but no slush even back down Floyeres to La Tania.
We must have caught the biche run down to Meribel on a bad day on Monday as no complaints about any of the snow we found today!
Now to pour over the piste map and decide on tomorrow's adventure snowHead
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@roguemazza, tell me/us the good snow will hold until Easter, great reading BTW. 8 days and counting coupled with webcam watching, weather reports and snowhead reading....
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I hope the good snow condition and weather will hold during next week, when I will be in 3 Valleys. 1.5 days left!! From weather forecast it seems that we will have sunny, relative warm (on 1500 m some degrees below zero at night and some degrees above zero during the day) -> probably not the best condition but close to them. I expect hard pistes in the morning and then going soft in the afternoon.

Cant wait!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Me too (re can't wait!).
Looks like warmish weather next week so decided (last minute booking) to stay in a place I will not have to go down into Meribel for the last runs ('Learn to ski' Gee! - good idea! Will put that on the to-do-list...) would be a bore and a chore.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Looks like a last minute trip is on the way to Meribel on the 3rd April for Easter.

I expect the conditions will still be good no matter what happens in two weeks time. Obviously I am not expecting a powder fest just some good old fashioned piste skiing with the family.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Another great sunny day today, snow is still really good though a few icy patches appearing here and there in busy places.
Have totally loved the 3V and we will be back next year, really liked la Tania as well but will probably look at staying elsewhere in the 3V next time so we can have quicker access to the areas we didn't get to this year (Val T, Orelle and Mottaret).
I would imagine that unless it's a scorching week then the snow should still be good for Easter, thee has been a fair bit of melt in La Tania this week and it was very slushy this afternoon. I think we were very lucky with getting 6 sunny days out of 7 but it staying cold enough to keep the snow good.
Hope it's great for the guys going out for the rest of this season.
Apologies to la plagne but I cheated on you this year and now unlikely to be back for a while Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for the update @roguemazza, we are staying in La Tania for a week from 3 April. As long as Folyeres is skiable then I'm OK - I'm sure (or hope) the stuff above 1,800M will still be fine.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quick snow report from Les Menuires. Snow on La Masse mountain was good the entire day. Only at the bottom there were some spring snow but otherwise snow on La Masse was great.

On the other side of the Saint Martin de Belleville valley we had a perfect spring snow at the top and very slushy but not in the bad way at the bottom. Lower slopes of the valley were severely hit by the sun and temperatures. Pistes around Reberty area (Sunny Express), Saint Martin de Belleville, La Croisette were showing dark patches. But as I said before, they look ugly, but they were manageable and very ski able.

If this type of weather continue I expect very hard even icy pistes in the morning.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Looking like some snow to come end of week and at the weekend, FL is going to play it's card on if it's snow or rain, it should be snow higher up but lower down may be rain.

4 sleeps till we set off Smile
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Little Martin, yep, we're off Friday, and should be on the slopes in time for Saturday's lunch!

Forecast seems to be yoyoing around, not quite sure of quite how much is going to fall out of the sky, and whether it will be cold enough to flutter down or drip.

On the other hand, there's plenty of stuff onthe ground already and it still looks cold enough overnight for a bit of man made augmentation if necessary.

Compared to Christmas 2014 in Italy where only 20% of the resort was open, it'll do just fine. Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Little Martin, @BigSouthernJesse, Snap! Good Friday getaway looks like it could be busy - Eurotunnel is fully booked.
Lift passes recharged, over-night sorted, be on piste by 11am Saturday - 4 more sleeps indeed.. Cool
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Little Martin, @Andy4467, Enjoy your skiing and I'm deeply jealous, but ......
Quote:
4 sleeps till we set off
Quote:
4 more sleeps indeed..

Grrrrrrr Mad Mad Mad What is it with 'sleeps' You're not seven any more. Mad Mad Mad
snow conditions
foxtrotzulu wrote:

Grrrrrrr Mad Mad Mad What is it with 'sleeps' You're not seven any more. Mad Mad Mad

Just 356,580 seconds until we set off!

Approxomately...

Better? Very Happy

And actually, as it's pretty rare for us to get away to the snow, and a bit of a treat, I certainly am about as excited as a 7 year old coumting down to Christmas. I quite like the "x sleeps until", it shows the posters excitement as well.
snow conditions
when it comes to skiing, sometimes I do act like an excitable 7 year old Wink

It's my 6 year old's fault, she only deals in sleeps
ski holidays
that spike in precipitation looks to have got bigger for Monday next week on the 06Z, it looks possibly to be joined by a drop in temps so FL should be lower
snow report
The first time I had a look at the forecast it showed about 80-90 cm of snow over the Sunday to Tuesday....

That frittered away and disappeared by yesterday, so I'm not looking at forecasts anymore.

What we get is what we get, and I don't want to get my expectations up too much
snow conditions
Little Martin wrote:

Fair enough. It's hard to argue with your logic on this one. We all become excitable chiuldren at times like this Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
Quote:

foxtrotzulu
snowHead

Little Martin wrote:

Fair enough. It's hard to argue with your logic on this one. We all become excitable chiuldren at times like this

I am with you on this one, can't stand it when people say sleeps or wigglies when referring to days or forecasting charts. Sorry, probbaly just me being miserable bu there you have it.
latest report
Just for you, with just a couple of days before my trip to the alps, the GFS 06Z ensembles are showing a good chance of precipitation around sunday/monday, this looks like it could be around 15-20cm of fresh snow, the freezing level looks to drop at the same time, so could start off as rain lower down but turn to snow later on.
ski holidays
Bergfex now going with a cold theme (FL down to 900M) for the Tarentaise early next week and moderate precipitation - thats what I call an orgasmic forecast a few days before we land in La Tania.
latest report
So Easter, a time for sunny warm weather....

What are the weather gods going to deliver? Snow, more snow, and apparently more snow, what's more, someone has brought the freezing level right down too.

Oh well, powder skiing it is, better pack another layer Very Happy
ski holidays
Toofy Grin
snow report
Little Martin wrote:
So Easter, a time for sunny warm weather....

What are the weather gods going to deliver? Snow, more snow, and apparently more snow, what's more, someone has brought the freezing level right down too.

Oh well, powder skiing it is, better pack another layer Very Happy

Really? You're not messing with us, are you?

Which forecast system are you looking at? The GFS charts?
latest report
http://www.lineameteo.it/spaghi.php?lati=45.4317&longi=6.595

The precipitation is still there for sunday/monday, with temps dropping below zero at 1500m, then the 29th, another lots or precipitation, but check out the drop in temps at 5500m, with the temps at 1500m, looks chilly to me.

http://www.meteoexploration.com/forecasts/La-Tania/?lang=en

Translating it into 25cm and 17cm of snow

Berflex showing snow and cold too

http://www.bergfex.com/courchevel/wetter/prognose/
snow report
Something is brewing between Saturday and Wednesday - FL should be around the 1,400M mark. Looks like temps will climb to above average levels after that (which is fine).

I'm not out until 3 April but this is positive news.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We're arriving in Courchevel on 2nd April - MeteoFrance looking better now but still predicting some midday rain in amongst the snowfall next week Sad

But the ensembles do seem to be lower for the 1500m with each successive run. Might need those snowsocks after all...
snow conditions
@Little Martin,

Thanks for that explanation and the links Smile

We're driving out most of the way tomorrow to get onto the slopes late Saturday morning. Looks like it could be an excellent week then.

Right, last day of work, deliver the dog half way across the country for his holidays, and then transform the huge pile of "oh, that might be useful, I'll put it in the "maybe" pile" into proper packing!

Tomorrow! Very Happy
snow report
@BigSouthernJesse, are you at my house packing ? Wink

Going to drop the dog off at his grandma's this morning, just need to bring all the ski stuff together this evening.

Weather wise, still looks snowy sun-tues, with freezing level low enough to make it fall as snow to resort level. Spring fights back and we should have some warmer weather the rest of the week.
snow conditions
To those who are flying out over the next few days ... have a great trip. Hopefully the FL (currently at the 1,700M mark) drops sufficiently on Sunday for the snow to reach La Tania / 1650. The ensembles (Meteociel) are now picking up another band of snow next Thursday but this may very well change.

Looking forward to your live reports next week!
snow conditions
http://www.meteofrance.com/previsions-meteo-montagne/val-thorens/73440

Arrrrgggghhhh...!!! wind in VT on Saturday - Fingers crossed it doesn't close any lifts.
latest report
Sunny today and pistes looking a bit worn. Better than last year at this time though. Pistes a bit more crowded than normal for this time - presume as Easter as early. Below about 1600m very slushy by 2pm like mash potato.
snow report
Warm and sunny today in the twenties according to the la Tania bubble thermometer.

Great snow high up turning to slush on some slopes that have had sun on all day, lower down, slopes with some shade firm and great to ski, did saluire down to La praz which wasn't too bad till the last bit with slush on one side and scraped away on the other.

Good afternoon skiing Very Happy
ski holidays
Would be interested to hear your thoughts on which runs / slopes to hit in the morning @Little Martin. I've not been to the 3Vs for 3 years so can't quite remember what faces which way. We have our boys in ski school in the AM (we are in LT from 3 April) so my wife and I will be trying to hammer it until we have to pick them up at 1:30. I can see us skiing around 1650 and 1850 with them in the afternoon. Thanks. Hope everyone who's out this week has a blast.
snow conditions
Snowing lightly at the moment in Meribel. 5-15cms forecast this afternoon / evening at 2000m
latest report
Anyone know of any ski schools that might be amenable to an aspirant BASI L2 shadowing them for a good part of a week? Week in question being 9th-16th April if that's relevant. VT preferred but anywhere in the 3V probably doable as I would have car. Thanks for any recommendations.
snow conditions
@Gämsbock, maybe try contact the Basi partners
latest report
@franga As a generality Courchevel slopes face north; Courchevel side of the Meribel valley and St Martin / Les Menuires (excl. La Masse) face west; Belleville side of Meribel valley (and La Masse) face east; and Val Thorens ranges from west through north round to east as you go from left to right across the piste map.

So during the main season the recommendation is usually to ski the Belleville side of the Meribel valley in the morning, and the Courchevel side in the afternoon (as the latter can be frozen for a few hours after lift opening). But in April this may not apply - overnight temperatures and snow conditions will be more significant.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy