Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Three Valleys 2015/2016: Méribel, Courchevel, Val Thorens, Les Menuires, La Tania

Poster: A snowHead
Thanks to all,

It turned out that bouchet was a bridge too far and la masse for that reason, coming from meribel. By the time we were on the Col chair, that doddery thing, the cold blue sky did it for the kids and after the compulsory pictures we did the Col no problem, it turns out the narrow bit saw from the chair was champs elisee in reality. Pronto went in the restaurant at the bottom of Col for warmth.

The overriding idea was just try it and see later.
Zip wire will have to wait.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@JP Wolf, I'm looking at the tariff leaflet at the moment and EK (and Paradiski) seems to only come with a season pass
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Another cracking day!
Great snow to be skied off piste at the moment - all the usual options are getting a fair few tracks but still hold very nice powder - the shady aspects are by far the best as yesterday's sun has started to work on anything not North-ish...

latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Does anyone know what are the runs holding world cup skiing events and whether they're open for mere mortals? In Courchevel and meribel?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Both resorts mostly use their respective Stades. In general the public are not allowed as there is race training going on most of the time (went over the Meribel stade yesterday on roc de fer and it was choccers, between ESF Cours Competition, Meribel Club des Sports etc.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
meribel is roc de fer iirc, missed the races last year, they'd already finished by time I'd got there. I would imagine opening depends on if there's races to be run on them, someone more local might be able to help

1850 has the bmw xdrive timing if it's open off loze or plantrey lift, it's a timed gates you scan your lift pass, runs next to/on the stade piste
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Not sure there are any races in Meribel this year? Last year the Meribel DH was on Roc de Fer and it was closed to the public immediately beforehand - they built a tunnel for Escargot / Gelinotte to pass under the race piste.

I think Courchevel only has some GS in early April. There is more happening in Les Menuires / Val Thorens
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
looks like FL peaking around 3500m on Sunday, then crashing back down, more snow immediately afterwards.

Still 6 weeks before I leave for the mountains...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Lovely conditions again today. Am amazed at how quiet it feels. No lift queues encountered at all this week.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
There were a lot of what looked like kids / teenagers training on roc de fer yesterday. From the lift everyone on if had race gear on. There is a slalom course near the bottom that was also in use.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
steph wrote:
No lift queues encountered at all this week.
You obviously didn't have the misfortune to have to pass through the Chaudanne at 9:30 yesterday morning! (Or try and get on the Olympique at le Raffort mid-morning!)... Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@offpisteskiing, nope definitely didn't go near the Chaudanne then, long gone! Have happily managed to avoid all queues all week.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Little Martin wrote:
meribel is roc de fer iirc, missed the races last year, they'd already finished by time I'd got there. I would imagine opening depends on if there's races to be run on them, someone more local might be able to help

1850 has the bmw xdrive timing if it's open off loze or plantrey lift, it's a timed gates you scan your lift pass, runs next to/on the stade piste

Tried xdrive but there was a rope : competitors only. Will try roc de fer tomorrow. Thanks for your time.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
offpisteskiing wrote:
Another cracking day!
Great snow to be skied off piste at the moment - all the usual options are getting a fair few tracks but still hold very nice powder - the shady aspects are by far the best as yesterday's sun has started to work on anything not North-ish...

was this off Creux Noir around 10am? If so, it was ollie and I calling you from the chairlift
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi @Patch, nope, was doing a Raffort run first thing, that piccie is Pointe Emilienne about 12ish...
snow report
Snowing continuously this morning and visibility poor.
snow report
Been a brilliant week so far though Toofy Grin
ski holidays
One sleep to go Very Happy
snow report
@J9, Cheers for checking J9 - will plan accordingly! 😊
snow report
We had a fantastic week there - I was really surprised at how good the snow was - was expecting it to be rubbish.
Sorry to leave, and wondering how soon I can wangle a trip back.
ski holidays
Just back from a week in Les Menuires, first time doing half term for ages. Agree that apart from the usual bottlenecks, queues weren't a problem.

Snow was excellent everywhere we skied which was everywhere except Courchevel 1650 and 1550.

Highlights were coming off the Pointe de Bouchet on Tuesday giving my boys (10 & 11) there first experience of "off piste" powder skiing and taking them down Tournier which they thought was "sick" - whatever that means.

@offpisteskiing - do you take little 'uns (thinking about next season)
latest report
@jonathancarty, i don't run any kids/youths groups, but happy to do private bookings...
latest report
Looking snowly out there at the moment Smile

Looks like March could be colder than average start with potential of precipitation, keep this up and easter should be great Smile
ski holidays
Off to La Tania in early April ... Q from my kids : do they try and keep Folyeres open at that time of year? Q from me : can you ski to the Loze Express from the Rond Point in Meribel (without using any lifts)? Thanks all.
ski holidays
Folyeres - yes - snowmaking as long as the temperature is low enough. I have been there at Easter/early April many times and it is usually skiable - La Tania would not be viable otherwise so they will do all thy can to keep it open.
Loze Express - think from RPdP you will need to go up the Altiport chair or drag to ski down to it?
snow report
@franga, Loze chair from Rond Point - Take Ardret chair 100meters below Rond Point and ski down to Loze chair - Should take 5 -10 minutes.
latest report
Thanks both - latest runs look promising for early next week Very Happy
latest report
Fresh snow yesterday and last night gave a brilliant day of off piste powder in Vallon Du Lou and elsewhere all over Val Thorens, surprisingly untracked. Pistes lumpy and crusty by end of the day
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
By the way, if anyone's looking for an off piste partner this week or next drop me a note; I'm experienced, safe and fully equipped but don't know the 3 vallees at all
ski holidays
CourchGal wrote:
Folyeres - yes - snowmaking as long as the temperature is low enough. I have been there at Easter/early April many times and it is usually skiable - La Tania would not be viable otherwise so they will do all thy can to keep it open.
Loze Express - think from RPdP you will need to go up the Altiport chair or drag to ski down to it?

Been down there mid to end of April - last week of the season 2013 I think, The lift was going but La Tania was CLOSED (shops, boulangerie, restaurants, everything). We seemed to be the only people there, Folyeres was amazing and every night the pistey basher remade that bit from the bridge to the cabine, just for us, cheers mate!
ski holidays
Hello,

it looks like that i will be in 3 valley at the beginning of the April.

What were the ski conditions at that time in 3 valleys in the past?
Is the whole area still open or they close some lifts?
What are pistes on "lower" altitudes, icy in morning, slushy in afternoon?

Thank you for your answers.
snow conditions
Cold & windy today, with surface slab releasing on lots of aspects up high, but some great skiing to be found in the right places!

latest report
Less than a week and all being well I should be in Les Menuires. Do the police still have emergency shelter in use if they close the roads due to snow fall?
latest report
If it comes 150cm! of snow this week, good luck all those out there!

Looking cold for the next few weeks too...
latest report
@Little Martin, not sure which forecasts you have been looking at but there is barely a flake of softness left on the mountains after Saturday's foehn 'hurricane', and not masses forecast for this week - looking progressively sunnier next week... Le Fornet and Bonneval had masses of snow over the weekend, but Vanoise very little.
ski holidays
Wiggles point to lots of precipitation wed Thurs Friday this week.
snow report
I hope I'm wrong and you are right...! Happy
ski holidays
Preferably with a rain/snow limit about 1000m...
latest report
Snowforecast is forecasting about a metre of snow in VT between Wed-Fri
snow report
Looks quite optimistic to me this upcoming week on the snow front, apart from a high freezing level (1800m ish) at times.

For Meribel Mottaret Wed-Sat, yr.no currently shows 91.7mm precipitation (about 90cm snow) and snow-forecast shows 140cm. The snow-forecast (GFS) looks like a bit of an outlier on the precipitation, although seemingly every operational run for the last couple of days has been bigging up the amount of precipitation coming this week in a similar fashion. Most/all runs show something major coming through though.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy