Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Three Valleys 2015/2016: Méribel, Courchevel, Val Thorens, Les Menuires, La Tania

Poster: A snowHead
does anyone know how long does it take to get a skipass at the office? I think the website says that to collect you should do it 3 days before collection, which we're cutting quite fine.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Walk in pay walk out.

But i guess your are talking about ordering in advance and then collecting on arrival, which will be.

Walk in, show them proof of purchase and id walk out.

Only variable for both options is the length of the queue
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ansta1 wrote:
Walk in pay walk out.

But i guess your are talking about ordering in advance and then collecting on arrival, which will be.

Walk in, show them proof of purchase and id walk out.

Only variable for both options is the length of the queue

great, we'll just buy them there. what's the nearest skipass office to le lac bleu?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
In VT they have lift pass dispensers in the street (eg near the Cheval Blanc appartments) if you've bought online - you don't even need to go into the office. Do they have those in Meribel as well?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Transfers to La Tania. I am having a problem with organizing transfers. We are flying to Grenoble then Ben's bus to Moutiers arriving around 15:30 but I can't get a transfer from Moutiers to La Tania. I have tried findtransfers.com,
and contacted a number of the local taxi firms and they have all said it's not possible. Can anyone suggest anything else? Altibus is an alternative, even if it does take a bit longer and is not door-to-door, does anyone have experience of this? is it necessary to book it before hand, or can I chance getting a taxi at the train station? and use the bus as a fallback?
Thanks.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Last time I went to 3 Val there was a local shuttle service that ran from Moutiers bus station to Les Menuires, I'm sure there must be one that goes to La Tania/Courchevel. It cost peanuts too.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There are usually plenty of taxis at the station in Moutiers. Altibus is also usually OK to just turn up and buy a ticket, especially if you're expecting to have more than a few minutes to make the connection. The only time I'd suggest either of these might fail is if you're travelling on a particularly busy weekend.

There are a number of transfer companies listed on the latania.co.uk website who may be worth contacting, but again if it's a busy weekend (i.e. the next few) you'll likely find they are already booked up.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
mihaid wrote:

great, we'll just buy them there. what's the nearest skipass office to le lac bleu?

There isn't one in Morel. You either need to get the bus up the hill to the Rond Point or down the hill to the Chaudanne (under Tougnette lift). If you don't want to take the bus you can also walk uphill a bit to the Route de la Renarde opposite Aux Petits Oignons and join the piste/path to the Chaudanne after about 200m. Worth knowing this route because it is also the way home from the Ronnie to where you are staying if you don't want to wait for the bus and the lifts are shut.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Transfers to La Tania. I am having a problem with organizing transfers.

Have you looked here?

http://www.latania.co.uk/resort/transfers.htm
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
mihaid wrote:

May still be worthwhile buying on line as there are discounts only online for multiple 3V passes. You can still collect at the ticket office. We bought 5 3V passes using the Tribe pass deal and saved 15€ each.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Steveee wrote:
mihaid wrote:

May still be worthwhile buying on line as there are discounts only online for multiple 3V passes. You can still collect at the ticket office. We bought 5 3V passes using the Tribe pass deal and saved 15€ each.

does this mean that I cannot buy a 3 valley area family pass at the office?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
You can buy a 3V family pass at the lift office
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So the Duo passes have to be bought online in advance then?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Not sure that these deals are online only, as we have bought Duo/Tribu passes on arrival in previous years (possibly via TO). I think they are just to encourage queue efficiency by selling multiple identical passes for a single payment.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Apologies if I have misled you. I assumed it was online only but looking at the website, that was not stated.
snow report
Thanks guys, will book online this weekend anyway as it's always exciting to get the lift passes through the post!

Has anybody been on the New Generation Reds clinic? I've had private lessons the last few years but they are far pricier in the 3V than La Plagne. The clinic is guaranteed to run but number of sessions and amount of time dependant on number of participants with a max of 6. I think it looks a good way to get some instructor input but interested in any feedback please.
snow report
I always just turn up and buy the passes when I arrive - we sometimes delay by a day, or arrive earlier (driving) so don't like to commit in advance. Have never had to q for more that a few minutes - just don't be there when the guichets open behind a rep for Crystal Happy
snow conditions
Anyone thinking of coming out for half term? - I wouldn't bother - there's no snow...

latest report
Thanks CourchGal, we are driving down to Chambery on the Friday then up into resort for lift opening on the sat, so even if we bought in resort we should avoid the Crystal queue.
4 weeks tomorrow we are off and 8 days skiing, getting quite excited now, our first time in 3V Laughing
ski holidays
roguemazza wrote:
Thanks CourchGal, we are driving down to Chambery on the Friday then up into resort for lift opening on the sat, so even if we bought in resort we should avoid the Crystal queue.
4 weeks tomorrow we are off and 8 days skiing, getting quite excited now, our first time in 3V Laughing

talk about excitement? we're off tomorrow night. first time in 3v as well.

steph wrote:
You can buy a 3V family pass at the lift office

thanks steph for clearing that one up.
snow conditions
Bright start, clouded over quickly and then snow from mid-morning... perfect for a day in the trees!

Secret spot... again... from Simon Christy
https://vimeo.com/155167753

Wind picked up mid-afternoon and was gusting hard at the top of the Plantrey/Chenus ridge at 4pm. Snow excellent everywhere...
snow conditions
Snowing now down to about 800m. The roads up to the resorts are not too busy at the moment, but you will need chains or snow tyres in resort today
ski holidays
@roguemazza, I would suggest ordering online just to avoid any pfaffing about. They usually turn up in 3-5 days. You can then just top up the cards online for your next trip.

Enjoy either way.
snow conditions
offpisteskiing wrote:
Bright start, clouded over quickly and then snow from mid-morning... perfect for a day in the trees!

Secret spot... again... from Simon Christy
https://vimeo.com/155167753

Beauty, sick I didn't make it out, have to stop reading updates but cant
snow report
Apparently an avalanche death off piste near lanches chair above la tania Sad
ski holidays
Just heard that on French radio - they said Col De La Loze so that fits. Sad
ski holidays
Yes it was in the Lanches sector. Seems to have been one woman, they've been looking for others but haven't found anyone else and the search has been called off.
ski holidays
Given how windy it was Friday afternoon I am not massively surprised...

Going up the Bouc Blanc chair at 4pm the cables were humming in the wind - the amount of snow transported onto the Lanches faces must have been huge.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.

From la Tania.co.uk Facebook,
ski holidays
Good snow to be skied on sheltered slopes, but as noted in the posts above much caution needed in slope selection.

Night skiing from Simon Christy
https://vimeo.com/155250554

Raining down in Bozel most of today so another top-up in resort one would assume...
latest report
Steph can you put a word into the boss's ear:
this is definitely not the weather we ordered.
snow conditions
Hi guys - can someone out in the 3V do me a favour please? We're out in a couple of weeks time and have ordered lift passes on-line....I have e-mailed the lift company with a Q a couple of times but still can't get an answer from them. Can anyone out in 3V check on the following please?

Historically you could use a weeks pass from EK in 3V for one day and visa versa. My understanding was this arrangement had stopped a couple of years ago - but SH have posted this year that it is still possible to use an EK pass in 3V. Just want to know if the opposite is true and how we access the offer? As I say nothing (I can find) on the lift pass sites and no response to the e-mail enquiries sent either....
ski holidays
Stunning day today. A sea of cloud in all directions this morning with the tops in sunshine. Snow wasn't too bad either (and neither were the queues where we were)...

Conditions are generally excellent everywhere. Return to lower villages is a bit scrapy after lunch but nothing dramatic. Off piste was most definitely warming up today, so any sunny aspects will be starting to go a bit 'crème brûlée' quite quickly...
snow report
@JP Wolf, not sure what the deal is this year - will try and find out.
snow conditions
Does anyone know what the run called col off the top of glacier de thorens and coraia off the top of sommet de 3v are like? We might hit them about midday with intermediate skiers in the group.
ski holidays
@mihaid, I'm not sure I'd take intermediates down either of those but if you have to choose, Col will be easier. Obviously depends a bit on whether they're confident, ballsy intermediates or timid ones, though. I'm not out at the moment so I don't know the exact conditions but Coraia has a 50-75m bottleneck section that can be sheet ice for much of the season. It's still the only place in the 3V's that I've ever seen with two thirds of the entrance fenced off and access restricted to one skier at a time because no-one could stop until they reached the bend...

I'd suggest you go up Bouchet on your own and recce it if you're more experienced, then decide whether they will cope or not.
snow report
Thanks for the info. Presumably we can all go up and see the view and some can download back on the chair? How does the zip wire work? How do you get your skis back? Similarly at Col?

Also how are the two reds of Mount du Vallon?
latest report
If the same zip wire I saw recently, skis were strapped to the back of the seat/harness, vertically.
Mont Vallon reds usually quite challenging IMO. Often lumpy and bumpy. Very enjoyable for those up for a challenge but potentially a nightmare for 'timid' intermediates.
The reds on La Masse are still very interesting, not to be underestimated, but usually a bit less challenging than Mont Vallon, IMO.
latest report
@mihaid, if you want nice views both Thorens and La Masse would give you that with Blue runs out. Or go up the Cime Caron and come down the Col de l'Audzin - that's the best views of all (2 viewing platforms in opposite directions). The Col is long and has a couple of bumpy bits but shouldn't be too bad at this time of year and for sure your intermediates will get a sense of achievement.

Of the Reds on Mont Vallon, Campagnol is much easier as long as they know how to control speed on the path-y bits.

Both Col and Bouchet are doggy old fixed chairs around 10 mins each. It's rare to see anyone download on them but I guess it's possible. Pick a sunny day because they're also both very exposed. They re-routed the Col piste 3-4 years ago so it's further away from the glacier ice - a confident intermediate should be fine on it. It's certainly easier than the Col de l'Audzin or either of the La Masse reds and much shorter than all of them. The 'steep' bit is only about 200m long and then it opens up wide and flattens out. You could see how they get on with that and then progress to some of the longer ones? As intermediate said, the skis go with you on the zip wire.
snow conditions
I don't think I would rely on being able to download on any chair that isn't specifically designed for it - and not sure that these are. It can be quite awkward; as usually there is no easy way to get on or off, and an automatic brake that stops the lift if a loaded chair swings around the top. While lifties may make the occasional exception (medical emergencies, ski/binding failure etc) there is no guarantee they will be as helpful for people who appear to have set out with that intention, particularly if it busy.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy