Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Three Valleys 2015/2016: Méribel, Courchevel, Val Thorens, Les Menuires, La Tania

Poster: A snowHead
PS Mauriennaise is a nice red, so don't forget to do that if you do come in from the other route!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Handy Turnip wrote:
Nice route! I assume that Lory is actually open?

Everything on the interactive piste map suggests that it is open. If nobody says anything I'll certainly let you know next week!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Handy Turnip wrote:
PS Mauriennaise is a nice red, so don't forget to do that if you do come in from the other route!

I was just going to ask! Looks like I take Boulevard Rosael for a little jaunt and it falls off into Mauriennaise?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It is indeed open, we skiied it last week, lovely, easy, long blue, was definitely the most popular route into Orelle.

Few points, there are a couple of really flat bits so manage your speed. Also there are a few bumpy bits near the end - natural mounds on the far left hand side of the piste - that if you're not paying attention (like me) could become unexpected jumps.

As someone else said if you do drop in this way make sure we get the lift back up to do Mauriennaise - cracking red!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lory is open (subject to the usual rules). The routing of the piste lower down seems to have been designed to annoy snow-boarders, with nice long flat bits. Only the first couple of hundred metres are of any interest...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:
Route map to Orelle as I see it…
(L) Cascades
(G) 2 Combes
(L) Portette
(L) Thorens
(B) Lory (cause I want to see it!)

The 2 Lacs lift might be an easier route to Portette from some start points in resort
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ecureuil wrote:

The 2 Lacs lift might be an easier route to Portette from some start points in resort

I see that now Smile cheers!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sunday is looking a bit grim apparently... Any locals give me a hint on whats likely to shut on high wind days?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Will be in VT from 06/02, remaining postive on the conditions front.

We'll be arriving into Moutiers at 16:48 on 6th Feb ( London via Lyon) trying to get to Val Thorens.

Does anybody know how easy it is to pick up a taxi transfer at the Moutiers station, or is it best to book the bus online?

Thanks in advance!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'd book a taxi. Any local French firm will do, as long as you can stomach overtaking on bends etc.. Some you can book on line. Or you might still get a shared pick up with 3VT, as they often go down for Eurostar arrival.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks @FIRSTOFTHEGIANTS,

I'll google for taxi companies, we'll be slightly ahead of the main eurostar arrival as we're on the direct London to Lyon service followed by a local train for the Lyon - Moutier leg.

The bus looks like it takes 1hr45, which seems like a long time. That said I've done the Bourg > VDI journey on the bus and it's often way quicker than advertised.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Must stop a lot! 45 minutes in the car from recollection.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@FIRSTOFTHEGIANTS, Sorry I was mistaken the bus takes 1hr15,

Pleasantly surprised to recieve a quote from findtransfers.com which is actually cheaper than the bus for 4 passengers.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@letsgetpiste, if it looks like it's going to be really windy the best advice is to stay in your valley.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kditrj2d wrote:

Only the link runs were busy last week. On the final day I skied from 1300 over to Orelle, via VT. Runs into VT were busy. Then I skied down to Mass1 and went up onto La Masse, where the runs were so quiet that at times I was wondering if I was on a closed piste. Thus has it always been in the 3v. The masses seem to congregate on certain pistes, whilst others are almost unused. Fortunately some of the unused pistes are also the best ones!

Being my first trip to the 3 valleys I must have just done the same routes as the masses Laughing creux was my favourite run but its practically a highway for most of the day.
ski holidays
Very flat light in the Belleville valley today especially off Cime Caron. Sun came out around 3pm. Still great snow on the upper pistes. Lower and busy pistes showing some signs of wear and tear. Perhaps some snow at the weekend.
latest report
@Russeh Creux was great when it was designated red - now, reclassified correctly a blue, is a massive crowd...
ski holidays
missed creux last time, due to lack of access the days I could have done it and the weather at the end of the week, if you do catch it at a quiet time it's great to carve down the top bit onto the bottom half which is usually quieter anyway and pick up some real speed. It's still one of my favourite runs, a close tie with grand lac onto pelozet to the st martin chair express chair.

After a couple weeks off weather watch, I'm now counting down the weeks till easter...

This weekend looks like could be a mix between snow high up and rain lower down, hopefully the freezing level can drop another few hundred metres between now and then. On a positive side it looks like it might be low enough for the start of the storm to reach the lower resorts, I'd probably plan a day off on sunday if I'm there, even val thorens looks like it could be windy so a day relaxing in a bar/hot tub/chalet might be a good choice.

Heading into the rest of feb, looking like the precipitation and temperatures heading back into winter, after the current spring conditions should help top up the snow levels again.
latest report
FIRSTOFTHEGIANTS wrote:
I'd book a taxi. Any local French firm will do, as long as you can stomach overtaking on bends etc.. Some you can book on line. Or you might still get a shared pick up with 3VT, as they often go down for Eurostar arrival.

Does anybody with experience know how much an early taxi from Moutiers station up to Val Thorens would cost? Three of us have bought bus tickets but if it saves a few hours tomorrow morning I'd be open to pay for a taxi, if it's not too dear.
snow report
@ejayAD, http://www.taxi3vallees.fr This taxi firm does early morning runs from Moutiers station to VT. approx 110 to 120 euros for 3 pax and depending on amount of luggage.
ski holidays
Little Martin wrote:
a close tie with grand lac onto pelozet to the st martin chair express chair.

When we drop the kids off a week on Sunday for their lesson in LM, this is the first piste I'm taking my wife to. It's a lovely wide swooping blue, perfect for getting 'the feeling' back. Looking forward to introducing my family to the delights of the 3Vs!
snow report
Was out and about the 3V working earlier this week - all in pretty good condition really.

Good chalky snow on shady aspects (off piste that is...) and still some soft turns to make if you know where to look.

Under the Caron cables is well filled in, even the top slope down to the path is viable which is moderately rare. Vallon du Lou and Combe Sans Nom both look well-filled now. Top of Mottaret was good, Cairn, Mt Vallon couloirs all chalky or soft. Caution needed though as there are a lot of crown-walls mid-couloir leaving a 1m drop in places to very thin snow/rock/grass underneath - the Saulire couloirs are particularly bad, though Curé was very good on Monday. Pistes everywhere we went seemed to be in good condition.

Photo ©andypmountainguide.com

Photo ©andypmountainguide.com

A bit more of a run down here:

http://offpisteskiing.blogspot.fr/2016/01/3-valleys-off-piste-report-26-jan-2016.html
snow report
Just wondering if anyone knows how much the wind will effect lift openings in val Thorens tomorrow? looks quite breezy and have a bunch of mates heading out that way on todays transfer. Any tips as to areas which might be less effected by the wind will be passé don with thanks.
snow report
I think today is one of those days to be in the le pub. Raining very hard this morning in Meribel Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
Approximately 20 cm of snow overnight here in Reberty, Les Menuires and still snowing.
snow report
About 30 cm now at mid-station, but very heavy below about 1800m
ski holidays
Guts of 2ft of snow now. Some pistes are minimum knee deep on powder... Tough going with the low visibility and my lack of experience in the deeps!!
Avi level at 4 and blasting all day. Links closed.
Hoping for some clearer weather tomorrow...
snow report
Pretty mixed day today in meribel. High lifts and links closed until about 10:30 ish. Snow line up at around 1800m at 9am, when we skied down from the Saulire at around 4pm it was rain from top to bottom.

However there has been loads of fresh above 1800 roughly. I'd say in some places higher up there has been 50cm of fresh snow, early on we skied nearly knee deep on piste. Runs back to resort are not in good shape now. Still had good fun today and skied over 40km.

Next couple of days look exceptionally warm before a cool down and some snow to all levels on Wednesdayz...hopefully!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just returned from a lovely week in the 3V...
A little sun burn on the face has spoilt it...

Glad to see some fresh snow as we were concerned that the snow does not look as if it can last well to Feb 13 half term, if the sun continues. Fingers crossed for all you half term'ers....

Went to a new café in the woods above Meribel, very nice, off piste, down forest paths, not easy to reach for beginners...
Le Clos Bernard.... Follow black flags on little sticks in the snow, down track, thro trees...
Head to the bottom of the Loze chair, above Meribel village 1400, just behind the chair entry you will see the start of the flag trail....
After wards, you follow the flag trail out to end up below Altiport on the lapin run to catch the Golf chair back up to Altiport...

Another gem is a café, behind the Morrel chair lift, Meribel 1450, about 100 yards... you can't see it, as the path leads to the side of the café building - with ski lock boxes along it....Walk between the buildings and you are in a lovely café terrace.. good food & reasonable prices.
snow report
@noisey, was the café near the Morel chairlift at the bottom of the lift? sounds like Le Lac Bleu? Such a great little place. Really good value for money too.
latest report
Lots anfmd lots of snow today in VT but heavy as it was warm, vis was poor and the crowds on piste were, for me ridiculous, although amazingly no real queues for the lifts. Raining at the moment which is a surprise, tomorrow will he be warm but hopefully clear. Still though i enjoyed the challange, makes the beers after taste waay better Very Happy
ski holidays
Younger son has suckered me into going to 3v for half-term...
Never been to Orelle - can anyone suggest a recommended route from Mottaret to Orelle and back (skiers on-piste?)

Also since the self-service at Chenus went waiter-service there seems to be a dearth of ss lunch places - are there any left apart for the one in LM?
snow conditions
Mottaret to Orelle: Plattiers bubble, ski down to Cote Brune chair, easiest piste into VT is blue Pluviometre but we usually take black Goitchel, then Plein Sud. Ski right through VT to Moutiere chair, then short tuck to Grand Fond which will take you to the top of the Orelle valley.
Return from Orelle by Rosael. You then have lots of choices of reds or blues to get back to VT. Depending which way you go either Plein Sud or Pionniers chairs which both link with 3 Valleys uplift. Ski down Lac de la Chambre red to bottom of Vallon, up Plan des Mains chair and down Sittelle then Martre blues back to Mottaret.
Enjoy!
latest report
Looks like the next few weeks might bring precipitation to the 3v's if the wiggles are to be believed, freezing level dropping back down to more sensible levels again, with that the temperatures returning to something more average.

Say good bye to spring, and hello to winter again Smile
ski holidays
@mogulsji - thanks!!!!!!!
snow conditions
@CourchGal, go up Portette from VT the the Thorens lift and ski down the new Lory blue . . . lovely run in.
snow report
Conditions around Val T wonderful yesterday. Sun, warmish but snow in beautiful condition. 4th valley a little disappointing by comparison but still worth a short trip. Choppy snow on much of the pistes and one red closed, presumably for avalanche risk?
Completely different landscape this morning. Heavy snow already falling for last couple of hours in 1850. About 25cms forecast today. Still not cold. La Tania, Le Praz, Meribel and Aquamotion likely to be popular.
Should be fantastic once weather clears...Wednesday...or Thursday, depending which forecast I look at.
ski holidays
Juste in case this helps anyone. The 3V links are about to close due to bad weather. Time to get back to your valley asap.
ski holidays
Jeez, but I wish I was still out there Crying or Very sad
snow report
@steph, Yes,, it was, lovely - the waitress was barmey (in a nice way...).

@CourchGal, The new run into Orelle is great, a long blue run, with loads of blues back via the old route - I don't have a piste map with me as we tend to follow our noses, it is up by the Zip wire...

If anyone is in St Martin, try the Restuarant opposite the piano bar, had a great night there...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy