Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Three Valleys 2015/2016: Méribel, Courchevel, Val Thorens, Les Menuires, La Tania

Poster: A snowHead
@kieranm, sounds like you are there at the right time. Good luck with the course
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Arrived this afternoon in 1650. The sign across the road says it's -3 but it feels colder to be honest. The chalet I'm staying in is right across the road from the lift which is nice so no excuses for not making the first lift. Will likely stick around the courchevel area tomorrow while I find my ski legs again plus get use to my new skis.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Skied 2 hours from first lift this am at Meribel Village before driving back to GVA:
- More snow overnight - first week's skiing (8 days on the slopes) where we've had fresh tracks every day. Only saw the sun on 2 days - for about 7hrs in total.
- Light snow but fair visibility.
- Knee deep powder at altitude.
- Minus 18C on the tops.
- Nobody at all on our first two top to bottom runs - incredible.

A fantastic holiday with brilliant conditions Very Happy - anybody out there now /next week is in for a treat.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi Very Happy

Out next week, tremendously excited about the hopefully still great snow!

This feels like the right place to ask if any of you kind people know what the taxi situation is like - we are staying just outside of les menuires (le bettaix - not on the ski bus route). I assumed it would be fairly straightforward to just get a cab from the taxi rank on arrival and departure or if staying in town after skiing but have heard mixed messages that it's quite difficult...which seems odd as I'm sure there would be drivers hanging around for people who've missed the last lifts home! Would anyone have any ideas?
Much appreciated Smile
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You can ski from Les Menuires down to Le Bettaix easily...No need for taxis...
The route should be ok after the snow they have had in the 3V..
It is easily sign posted and easy to follow, a little blue at the top becoming green at the bottom, can be icy but a nice flat run in...
Aim for La Croisette area of Les mingers, go over the bridge, over the road, keeping right, down past the beginners slope on your right, follow right, keep speed up as it gets flat....thro' tunnel and then left...I think...
Its been a while so my directions may not be completely correct, but the signs were obvious when we were there a few years ago..
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Really very cold today but the snow is perfect. As @kieranm, says, very quiet in Courch and Meribel.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I can echo all the above. Very good piste conditions although quite cloudy with a little snow this morning in meribel. I didnt venture too high because of visibility. This afternoon the sun made a welcome appearance and from 3pm onwards everything was perfect. Tomorrow and tuesday looking good.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
offpisteskiing wrote:
Today was quite good...

A (very) rare day off sans kids, so time to revisit some old stomping grounds while everyone fought it out over the powder higher up.

3 laps of perfection with not a soul about.

Courchevel powder heaven 15 Jan 2016 from Simon Christy
https://vimeo.com/151946142

Almost lost my dinner watching that, enjoy all you lucky souls
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just back from first day of skiing, descided to just stay around courchevel today while I find my legs, conditions were sublime especially with a bit of sun this morning. Good grippy snow everywhere, not very busy and it was quite cold. My efforts to loose weight and get fit have paid off big time.

Might try and get other to VT tomorrow
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Lots of fresh powder to play in above Les Menuires today. Have just changed my rented piste skis for some nice off-piste Dynastar Cham 97 fat-boys. A small top up of snow is forecast either tonight or tomorrow (depending on which forecast you believe). These are the best conditions I have seen in 3v for ages (bare in mind that I only get out here once or twice a season...)
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cold again but wonderful grippy snow and no lift queues at all. We just skied straight through to every lift today.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Some pics from our week in Meribel Les Allues - we skied 11th - 18th January. The photos are a bit misleading in terms of the weather (see my earlier report) - it snowed most of the week:

Pistes were pretty good too Very Happy Very Happy

snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Agree with above wonderful conditions and very quiet. This morning saw some sunshine and great piste conditions however as the day progressed so did the cloud and by late afternoon visibility was poor however the snow on piste was still good. Now its snowing lightly in meribel centre and hopefully this will clear by morning. Anyone coming to 3V over the next few days are in for a treat.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It's snowed lightly over night and is still going this morning in courchevel. Was planning to go over to VT today but might stay in courchevel if the light is poor
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Still great conditions, still very quiet, still cloudy. Snowed lightly on and off today after a few more cms overnight. Off piste still very good, though having to go slightly further to get to the best stuff.
ski holidays
Another very quiet day on and off piste. No lift queues and wonderful snow. Bel air area of Courchevel particularly good today. Couple of degrees warmer too.
latest report

Squiggles looking pretty settled and the ones out for week commencing 1st of february are starting to twitch but nothing lined up... I would really love a week of blue skies!!! 10 more days!!

How's everyone getting on this week? Conditions still tasty? How have the higher peaks coped with the winds?
latest report
Having an incredible week in the 3 Valleys, staying in VT and have skied all areas except Courcheval, mainly on piste and side piste.

Snow quality on piste is starting to feel very mixed, some incredible conditions up high but some of the lower pistes in Meribel and Les Menuires especially are starting to get quite cruddy and even the odd bit of ice by the end of the day.

No real wind to speak of last few days so peaks are fine, a lot warmer today, only -1 in Mottaret, felt warm in the sun.

Happy to answer any questions people have....
snow report
@Waynea1983, cheers for the updates! snowHead
latest report
If any 3V regulars have recommendations for good ski lessons from a Courchevel 1850 base I'd welcome them. They're for an early intermediate, male, age about 50, probably group lessons but other options considered. I have posted same request in Bend ze Knees forum but thought I'd try here too.
latest report
@intermediate, we've used Sam Burrows at this lot several times. Great instructor and all round top bloke. May well try to grab an hour or two with hime whilst we are out next week.

http://www.snowlimitsskischool.com/team.html
ski holidays
intermediate wrote:
If any 3V regulars have recommendations for good ski lessons from a Courchevel 1850 base I'd welcome them. They're for an early intermediate, male, age about 50, probably group lessons but other options considered. I have posted same request in Bend ze Knees forum but thought I'd try here too.

We used new generation for my nervous beginner fiancee (now wife) last year. Lorenzo was absolutely brilliant and got her from swearing to never ski again two years ago to being mildly enthusiastic about it.
snow conditions
@intermediate, try momentum snow sports
snow report
Jo Jo at Marmalade
snow conditions
Update from our final day in VT....amazing day, not a cloud in the sky, felt warm too, almost spring like in the sun, only a small bit of morning breeze.

Covered Orelle and the northern exposures of VT.

Orelle, beautiful Orelle....Snow was soft and powdery even on the steeper red, Mauriennaise was spectacular.

Back into VT most northern exposure slopes in good condition, medaille being highlight, bits of it were still groomed at 3pm the rest was lovely soft snow.

A little cruddy back into VT at the end of day but nothing you don't expect at the end of the day.

The whole 3 Valleys has been so so quiet, I've queued for one lift in 6 days...bliss!

If youre heading out soon VT and Orelle seem to have better snow than Meribel and Les Menuires, off piste is fairly well tracked out now unless you know where to go or youre with a guide.

ENJOY!
latest report
As others have said it is wonderful here at the moment. I've spent most of my time in Courchevel and the surrounding area, and happy to report that the snow is great, the sun is shining and although a little busier today (I had to wait behind another group before getting on a lift once). Off piste I've been down into Vallee des Avals a couple of times and there is still great snow to be had there if you have a guide, and are happy to hike back out. The stuff closer to the piste is more tracked but still fun.
latest report
It seems today was the day all the resort tourist offices and pr/marketing departments took their publicity photos! It was that good, perfect blue sky, great snow, fairly empty pistes...
ski holidays
@t40ora, @bobalexander1983, @Little Martin,
Thanks for your suggestions and I'll look into each of those. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Work is grinding to a halt now. I've got seven days left before heading out to VT and I'm already on holiday mode!
Conditions look fantastic and it doesn't look like much will change on the weatherfront over the next couple of weeks. Bar a few icy slopes at the end of the day, I think we are in for a good week!

Anyone heading out tomorrow? snowHead
ski holidays
Oh yes. This time tomorrow I'll be ensconced in the chalet and chomping at the bit!
latest report
Hi all - sorry to jump on the thread....was advised to after posting separately!

Just want to check on any reciprocal arrangements for using 8 day pass from 3V in the EK. Historically I know this was possible but I was sure I'd seen that they'd closed it off now as an option. But I've just spotted this in a Nov 2015 SH post that makes me not so sure now -

" I have checked and the Val D pass allows for a day at 3V and Paradiski so if we want a change of scene, a lack of terrain will not be a problem. "

Given it was mentioned that EK passes work in 3V does anyone know if the opposite is true? Taken a look at the 3V list pass www and can't find any mention about it - as I say I was fairly certain they'd closed off this benefit but now I'm left wondering?

Be great if anyone knows...
snow report
Hey all. Had a fabulous two days in VT and going to do the rear of the Valleys the rest of the week.

Any feedback on 1650? Wondering if it's worth heading over.
snow conditions
@t40ora, 1650 has great conditions when I left on Sunday, although it had been warm on Saturday. Merible is probably the weaker of the stations at the moment but still pretty good.
latest report
I've got to say I've just had the best week skiing I've ever done. Absolutely sublime conditions last week and from a personal point of view a lot of things came together to make it awesome (weightless, fitness and new skis).

I will without a doubt return to the 3 valleys its a great area and I can see why so many highly rate it. The only thing that bothers me a little is all week people keep telling me how quiet it was. While that was true from a lift queue point of view (there were none) at times it felt like the French holidays on Piste, it felt very crowed at times. And I get that in some key linking runs that's probably to be expected but yeah at times it felt like it was February.
snow report
Russeh wrote:
@t40ora, 1650 has great conditions when I left on Sunday, although it had been warm on Saturday. Merible is probably the weaker of the stations at the moment but still pretty good.

Thanks. We'll head over to 1850 today and take Creux, see what it's like. Hopefully the morning will still see is with decent condition.
snow report
I'm physically sick with excitement! Bags are packed and eagerly awaiting the arrival of saturday! The weather keeps chopping and changing and it looks like im going to get a bit of all kinds of weather but that isn't a bad thing.
Keep the reports coming in and in particular, any recommended runs around VT!!
snowHead
snow report
Russeh wrote:
I've got to say I've just had the best week skiing I've ever done. Absolutely sublime conditions last week and from a personal point of view a lot of things came together to make it awesome (weightless, fitness and new skis).

I will without a doubt return to the 3 valleys its a great area and I can see why so many highly rate it. The only thing that bothers me a little is all week people keep telling me how quiet it was. While that was true from a lift queue point of view (there were none) at times it felt like the French holidays on Piste, it felt very crowed at times. And I get that in some key linking runs that's probably to be expected but yeah at times it felt like it was February.

Only the link runs were busy last week. On the final day I skied from 1300 over to Orelle, via VT. Runs into VT were busy. Then I skied down to Mass1 and went up onto La Masse, where the runs were so quiet that at times I was wondering if I was on a closed piste. Thus has it always been in the 3v. The masses seem to congregate on certain pistes, whilst others are almost unused. Fortunately some of the unused pistes are also the best ones!
ski holidays
@letsgetpiste, get over to Orelle early in the week (we always go on the first day) as you can generally get the pistes to yourself, before it starts getting really busy from mid-week onwards. There are some lovely reds over there. Enjoy!!
ski holidays
@Handy Turnip,
Got the piste map spread out on the desk at work! Work buddies being very understanding Laughing
Route map to Orelle as I see it…
(L) Cascades
(G) 2 Combes
(L) Portette
(L) Thorens
(B) Lory (cause I want to see it!)
Then choose where to go from Plan Bouchet
snowHead
ski holidays
Nice route! I assume that Lory is actually open? It's new this year so there were a few rumours that it hasn't opened yet (can any locals confirm?)

Bearing in mind Lory is new, we always go down the Cairn piste to the Moutiere lift then ski down to the Grand Fond cable, which takes you to Orelle.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy