Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Three Valleys 2015/2016: Méribel, Courchevel, Val Thorens, Les Menuires, La Tania

Poster: A snowHead
@olderscot, driving up to top of verdons and walking/skinning from there most probably...
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Yep.
Sadly the rot had already set in with the zip wire over the valley, though you could almost ignore it once you were lower. Unfortunately a piste down there removes a lot of the interest from going in there, particularly the classic Col Pierre Lory entrance which gave a great mellow off piste run with a feel of being well away from it all - will hardly be worth the traverse/sidestep if you rejoin the piste a few hundred metres below the col.

Progress, apparently...

@offpisteskiing, yeah, you're spot on there. A great exploration for a chilled 'adventure'. I wonder if the word on the street is right - no Lory run till next season??
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Diverskify, I certainly hope so!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The 3V's whats new page is up on latania.co.uk

http://www.latania.co.uk/photos/2016/WhatsNew/
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I see from the 3v piste map posted above that there has also been a change to Le Bettex chair in Les Menuires. It now goes all the way up to join La Violette just at the point it splits rather than only going to Le Hameau des Airelles as before. Does anyone know if this is a new chair or have they just changed the route and used the original Le Bettex world's slowest chair lift equipment?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@weedram, It's a 'new' chair - a 4 man, not the old one. It's actually the chair they've just replaced out of St-Martin, repurposed to replace the old Bettex chair. Rather clever upgrades - 2 improvements for the cost of one new lift (plus fitting/installation of both).
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks fixx

That's good news indeed. I assume from your message that St Martin 2 has been replaced by a newer, faster chair? If so that is also good news as St Martin 2 can become a bit of a bottleneck at busy times.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@weedram, yep - update from the site above is:

"St Martin Express

The new St Martin Express 6 seater chair - hopefully removing one of the last bottlenecks in The 3 Valleys and meaning an extra drink down in St Martin de Belleville." - referring to the old St Martin 2.

Really useful improvements!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@emwmarine, So anyone can just drive up to Saulire in a 4x4? Are you sure about that? I would have thought some of the most valuable skiing land in the world would have some sort of protection i.e. possible crashing into a very expensive lift.
Aren't they tracks more likely to be local workers?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I got the old st martin chair last year, I was glad that it was a sunny day and warm Smile
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
thank you petit martin....
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
thank you petit martin....
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
2 weeks booked, first week in Jan and Easter week to La Tania snowHead

Now where's that snow, don't want a repeat of Christmas last season...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Had a fantastic week in La Tania last year - first week of March.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Dr John wrote:
@emwmarine, So anyone can just drive up to Saulire in a 4x4? Are you sure about that? I would have thought some of the most valuable skiing land in the world would have some sort of protection i.e. possible crashing into a very expensive lift.
Aren't they tracks more likely to be local workers?

Don't know about to the Saulire but lots of what are pistes in the winter are actually minor roads or tracks. In the summer and autumn i've driven up quite high to then have a bit of a walk and nobody as ever said a word. Imagine the biggest danger to the lifts would be the cows rubbing their back bottoms on them.
snow report
Lory will be open this year
latest report
alti - dude wrote:
Lory will be open this year

Pity Sad
snow conditions
Yes, I'm with you there @Raceplate. I would love to know the thinking that lies behind the Lory piste. They already have the biggest ski area in the world, so how does it help to put loads of skiers into the remote valley which was formerly only accessible by a traverse and half hour walk, during which at times I briefly wondered if the slope above was going to slide? 🙁
snow report
Think the reality is that these high ski areas will become more popular (ie crowded) as time goes but so they will expand ski areas. Lift systems more sophisticated so shift more people so need more ski areas . . . . all progress responding to the consumers wanting cheaper and better skiing.
ski holidays
alti - dude wrote:
Think the reality is that these high ski areas will become more popular (ie crowded) as time goes but so they will expand ski areas. Lift systems more sophisticated so shift more people so need more ski areas . . . . all progress responding to the consumers wanting cheaper and better skiing.

Completely agree - ski resorts are a business like any other with the same pressures to make more money, and get bigger and better. Every year Val Thorens seem to be building more and more hotels and accomodation, to attract more people and to satisfy those additional visitors they need to improve the lifts, expand the ski areas and generally look like they're adding new things each year (i.e. the new fun slope, igloo on top of the hotel etc etc).

There's also been talk of them looking to open up the Borgne area above the Folie Douce, so I wouldn't be surprised if that's next on their list.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying the above is good or right in any way, it's just what I think they're trying to do.
snow report
Who else has done all 5 of these? http://www.basecampgroup.com/blog/5-top-pistes-mighty-three-valleys/
snow conditions
If global warming, or climate change, is to believed then the natural consequence is going to be a focus on the higher resorts for skiing.

A sample size of 1 is clearly completely unrepresentative but I do find that queries for our appartment in Val Thorens jump when snow is poor or forecast to be poor generally in the Alps. I guess the one thing that you really want in a skiing holiday is snow on the pistes.

Mind you, and my memory for the dates isn't good here but i'm sure as a teenager there were some years (70s?) where there were brown fields across nearly all of the alps for a few years.
latest report
@snowbistro, yes but not sure about Christine,whilst nice I think both main runs off Peclet are under rated. If replacing I'd go for Roseal (sp), Plumevontire (sp) or the run from the top of Boismint down to Blvd Cumin
latest report
A bit whiter above 1900m in the 3vs today
snow report
snowbistro wrote:
Who else has done all 5 of these? http://www.basecampgroup.com/blog/5-top-pistes-mighty-three-valleys/

Done 1, 4, 5 will get the others ticked off in Jan Wink
snow conditions
Done all 5, but I would add a couple more -the Boismint/plan de l'eau red in VT, and Choucas in Meribel first thing in the morning. Very Happy
latest report
I've done 1,2 & 3 - I agree, not sure about Christine being on the list. And as much as I love Combe de Vallon, I don't tend to do it too often as it feeds into the dreadful flat Ours run!
snow report
As above , Ours is such a pain in the proverbial.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Done all 5.
latest report
@blahblahblah, @Handy Turnip, You don't need to do it - just loop back on Mures Rouge
snow conditions
@alti - dude, I know that now, but not on the day I did it.
latest report
I always like looking to see when they start switching on the snow canons in Val Thorens. The resort opens on 21st November and they like to have about 5 solid days build up of snow piled up below the snow canons before the start of the season and they tend to then spread it around the pistes just a couple of days before the open.

Most of the snow at the moment above 2600 is metres is likely to hang around.

I imagine the first time from now where it looks like a settled period of coolish temperatures will see them switched on. It looks too warm for the next week or so.
ski holidays
snowbistro wrote:

I did 1, 3 and 4, but out of those I would only include #1 in that list. Based off Val Thorens, it can be tricky to reach the other two. I hope to give at least Jerusalem a go this year Smile

But... what were they thinking? They missed some absolute jewels:
1. Combe de Rosaël - just off the back of Cime Caron. It's about 1km vertical, pretty steep, most of it black. You traverse a quiet ridge with massive rock formations like these. If the slope is unprepared and bumpy, it will catch you out of breath soon.
2. Grand Couloir - just to the left coming out of the Saulire cable car. The entry looks a little bit insane, but with good snow cover it's doable. It has a feeling of off-piste at times because it's so quiet and away from the regular runs.
4. Glacier - stretching above the Funitel Peclet. It's a slow, small chairlift to a steep, short black section. Every time I get to the bottom, I want another go.
snow report
So with just under 2 weeks till Val Thorens opens, and temperatures up around 9C and the freezing level at nearly 4000m for the coming week at least. So at what point do the resort get a bit jittery?

The resort looks barren, and the temperatures are surely too high to get the snow cannons going?

I'm not worried personally (I'm not in the 3V till March), just curious!
ski holidays
The first week it's mainly weekend visitors to Val Thorens. Usually, they start the snow cannons about a week before opening so I imagine they will be very jittery about the opening.
snow report
Was it last year or the year before when they delayed to opening of Val T for a week or so? The pattern over the last couple of years seems to be later arriving snow, but then snow further into the season
latest report
Only 11 days till Val Thorens opens for the season.

Here's how it was looking at lunchtime today...

snow conditions
And just for reference, this is the resort on 5th Nov 2014....

Time to do that snow dance!! snowHead snowHead
latest report
Oh dear rolling eyes
latest report
Not feeling so confident about booming a week at Christmas now Sad
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy