Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Three Valleys 2015/2016: Méribel, Courchevel, Val Thorens, Les Menuires, La Tania

Poster: A snowHead
Reinforces the importance of always heading high (above 1800m) in December in the Alps.

The 3Vs actually looking reasonable onpiste, due to good snow management and plenty of snowguns.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Very sad news:

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/627680/Michael-Schumacher-Brit-dies-after-fall-at-ski-resort-F1-legend-used
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi all, I'm lucky enough to be coming to Meribel in February and will be coming up from Aix en Provence by train (current plan) the others in my party are all booked onto a flight from the UK and will be transferring with the TO from Grenoble airport. I have looked up TGVs and it seems much more reasoneble to go to Grenoble than Moutiers (3 not 6 hours) however is there a sensible route to Meribel from there? I have yet to find one and am going to be resorting to a private transfer for one if I'm not careful.

Other options include getting a cab the other way to the airport and hooking up with the TO transfer or driving. Any ideas?

Many thanks.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Tris wrote:
Very sad news:

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/627680/Michael-Schumacher-Brit-dies-after-fall-at-ski-resort-F1-legend-used

Very sad, and a reminder that it's not just off piste that can be fatal. Obviously just speculation but to have sustained fatal chest injuries he must have been travelling at quite a pace
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Tomf05 wrote:
Hi all, I'm lucky enough to be coming to Meribel in February and will be coming up from Aix en Provence by train (current plan) the others in my party are all booked onto a flight from the UK and will be transferring with the TO from Grenoble airport. I have looked up TGVs and it seems much more reasoneble to go to Grenoble than Moutiers (3 not 6 hours) however is there a sensible route to Meribel from there? I have yet to find one and am going to be resorting to a private transfer for one if I'm not careful.

Other options include getting a cab the other way to the airport and hooking up with the TO transfer or driving. Any ideas?

Many thanks.

Apologies, I see I have put this in the wrong place, will start thread elsewhere.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Whitegold wrote:
Reinforces the importance of always heading high (above 1800m) in December in the Alps.

The 3Vs actually looking reasonable onpiste, due to good snow management and plenty of snowguns.

Yes, good news.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Raceplate wrote:
@Tom Doc, thanks for sticking your nose in. Do you have any meaningful contribution to make about current 3V piste conditions? No, thought not.

Ouch!!!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
So, is everyone in 3v and surrounding resorts going to be heading to VT / Orelle next week, or is there enough fun to be had in Meribel / Courcheval?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
They have announced their plans for what will be opening here :- https://t.co/fR6CPpuSfU
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm presuming the thicker coloured lines are the pistes that will be open.

Just planning the quickest route from LT to VT whilst avoiding Aigle.....
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Would it be a fair assumption that their won't be any discounts available for ski passes given how many runs won't be open?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
From here:

http://www.latania.co.uk/blog/?p=9359

"Will full employment and costs being undertaken ski passes will be sold at the normal rate but there will be some expanded entertainment with resorts offering complimentary hot chocolate, mulled wine and music etc."

If anyone finds any free Hot Choc / Mulled Wine let's make sure we post on here!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
they had it outside the tourist office in la tania last year early evening, I have a feeling it's normal anyway and nothing special, most resorts have music too Wink

the 3v's are pulling a fast one, they need the staff to try open pistes, but don't want to be at a loss financially.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
chriswg wrote:
Would it be a fair assumption that their won't be any discounts available for ski passes given how many runs won't be open?

Yep. There will be loads of people being bussed in from lower resorts with no snow at all so no reason to discount.I believe VT actually declared itself full this time last year and stopped selling lift passes.

TBH I think you should be very grateful for the amount that is open rather than moaning about what's closed. The pisteurs have done an amazing job.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@jonathancarty, you can ski direct into Meribel from Dou des Lanches as from tomorrow so no need to take Aigle.
ski holidays
Yep, sorry 'bout that, missed the fact that Bd de la Loze was open!
snow conditions
We're staying in Le Bettaix Christmas week - it doesn't look like the piste will be open to ski back down, and I believe that they are putting on a bus service. Does anyone know if you can get the chair lift back down?
ski holidays
Raceplate wrote:
chriswg wrote:

Yep. There will be loads of people being bussed in from lower resorts with no snow at all so no reason to discount.I believe VT actually declared itself full this time last year and stopped selling lift passes.

TBH I think you should be very grateful for the amount that is open rather than moaning about what's closed. The pisteurs have done an amazing job.

I'm not having a moan, you are right they have done a great job with what they have had to work with.

But nevertheless if half the runs are closed, and only 5 or 6 blacks are open in the whole 3V then I don't see why they cant make a nice gesture of say 10% a discount. I was looking forward to skiing the new Chasse and Lory runs but neither are likely to be open.
snow report
@chriswg, if you book your holiday in the third week of the season (second week for some areas), what do you expect? You're moaning because an ex itinerary doesn't have enough base yet? Ridiculous.

If you want everything to be open you should book the first week of March not Xmas. I suppose then you'd want a discount because the low areas are too slushy rolling eyes
ski holidays
Skied around c1850 and meribel sectors only. Did mont vallon and wished I hadn't as only one piste open and that was very stony.

Best snow of the day was an after lunch run into meribel from the top of the saulire. soft consistent snow almost like the real stuff

Was quite a bit busier today, I guess holidays have started for French kids as much more French accents heard
ski holidays
90% lifts open

http://www.latania.co.uk/blog/?p=9391
latest report
Folyeres and Loze pick of the pops today. Perfect piste conditions and very few people on them (assume they had all headed off to Val T for some reason. Creux and Combe de la Saulire also in good nick.
snow report
A 2am alarm to drive up to Gatwick and fly out tomorrow, can't wait. Have got the full 3V pass but all the reports I see suggest that, even though it's higher, I'm probably better spending my time around Courchevel and Meiribel, where there are less people, the pistes are less tracked out and it's all round nicer. Is that a fair assessment?
latest report
SnoodyMcFlude wrote:
A 2am alarm to drive up to Gatwick and fly out tomorrow, can't wait. Have got the full 3V pass but all the reports I see suggest that, even though it's higher, I'm probably better spending my time around Courchevel and Meiribel, where there are less people, the pistes are less tracked out and it's all round nicer. Is that a fair assessment?

Possibly, even probably. Although, i've found snow conditions different each day and also on different sections of pistes. The last few days, for me anyway, has seen above les menuires and meribel having the best conditions with VT having too much ice.

However, and I am no expert - in fact the complete opposite, I think this is down to the temperatures each area is experiencing and how the freeze/thaw cycle is working on the pistes. How conditions pan out over the next ten days or so with warm conditions and no new snow is anyone's guess. How many day's water is left for snow making, given the low level of all the lakes is also anyone's guess.
snow report
Timing in each Valley is key, follow the sun
snow conditions
In terms of the sun.... just packing for our departure tomorrow. Are the temperatures so seasonably high that we won't need to fill our suitcases with sets of base-layers?

As a matter of course (risk averse) I always do, but if I need to trim the weight should the be the first or last thing to be ejected from the cases?!
snow conditions
@t40ora, spent most of the week in a Base Layer, thinish jumper and shell jacket. Only cold in occasional out of sun moments. Wore boxers under saloppettes only
ski holidays
@bertie bassett, thanks. I thought as much. A bit of weight to shed Smile
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
went commando under salopettes and it was swell.
latest report
emwmarine,
"Was" swell. Or "did" swell? Toofy Grin
snow report
I was in Les Menuires Mon-Thurs of last week and was impressed by how good the skiing was. The slopes above LM were in pretty good shape considering the temperatures and the ski down to the new St Martin lift was glorious. Bottom part of La Masse is closed and you have to come down in the gondola, but the new blue (bouquetin) from the top was open and that and covili were great fun. Allamands, mont de la chambre, 4 vents and becca were all great too.

It was my first stay in Bruyeres in LM and I was most impressed - it really works as a resort. The only thing missing compared my usual destination of La Tania was the trees.
latest report
Bergmeister wrote:
emwmarine,
"Was" swell. Or "did" swell? Toofy Grin

It was still relatively cold Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report
OK guys. Just arrived in Meribel. What is the best direction for a couple of intermediate bodies to head for? Thinking of the Saul ire Express for Creux but local guidance much desired.

Oh, an easy start to warm the legs up as it's 8 months since the last trip.
ski holidays
Yesterday we started with a few laps on the La Tania gondola and Folyeres really has held it's artificial snow very well, and was very quiet in the morning. Runs crossing to Courchevel on the more sunny aspects are suffering, but once into 1850 the Verdons area is in pretty good shape, Biolay skied well for the most part though a few stony areas to avoid, and the lower part of Loze was very good. Getting back to La Tania by the forest trail was well covered as far as the gondola top station. Some good snow to the side of the upper red run in places but the main piste itself is thin on snow.
latest report
Is it cold enough for snow making at the moment; and when it is cold enough, how effective can it be? I'm out on the 2nd, with no real sign of snow from the heavens.
latest report
Looking at the temps I think they can make snow this week with clear skis at night.

Week of the 2nd is when I'm out, the forecast keeps showing some good signs for something around that week, the sacrifice of my first born, looks to be working so far.
snow report
I also out on the 2nd and am bring by 18yr old first born with me. Quite happy to sacrifice him as well. It will make it a lot cheaper.
snow conditions
Little Martin wrote:
the sacrifice of my first born, looks to be working so far.

I made a similar suggestion at home but the missus isn't buying into it... Laughing
snow conditions
@Charliegolf, not today, very mild, not sure if they ran overnight but I don't think so. Snow on Folyeres softening and becoming a little wet. Still in very good condition though and really enjoyed lapping it on SL skis. Will change skis for the tour over to Courchevel in the afternoon as more risk of stones on the way over.
ski holidays
Fog and snowing lightly in VT(as in very very small microscopic flakes). Hopes for proper snow overnight.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy