Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Three Valleys 2015/2016: Méribel, Courchevel, Val Thorens, Les Menuires, La Tania

Poster: A snowHead
pam w wrote:
If Val Thorens were the only place in the 3V with good snow at Christmas I'd rather save my money for another time.

You may not like it but most do. With the climate changing, and becoming more noticeable, more and more investment is going into the higher altitude resorts. The outlook is pretty grim for the lower resorts.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If I go to the 3 valleys starting 13 December, which village would be best positioned to the most open pistes?
I've never been.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
HeidiAmsterdam wrote:
If I go to the 3 valleys starting 13 December, which village would be best positioned to the most open pistes?
I've never been.

Val Thorens.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Whitegold, and if I didn't want to be in Val Thorens, because I think it looks ugly, what would be the other village.

Mind you, aesthetic requirements may be dropped, but apart from that, if it looks it will snow that week, which we should have a better idea of by say Thursday, then being closer to the tree line may be an advantage.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
[quote="HeidiAmsterdam"]@Whitegold, and if I didn't want to be in Val Thorens, because I think it looks ugly, what would be the other village.

Sit and absorb the beauty and green meadows of St. Martin.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I've never been. Obviously I'm coming to ski.

Am I to surmise that it is one or the other? Above the tree line with concrete blocks, or below the tree line in the cow pasture.

I understand the weather conditions challenge the situation normal, which is why I'm asking.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have no objections to Val Thorens and would enjoy skiing there this week. But if the entire 3V is heading up there in a busy week? No thanks.

@HeidiAmsterdam, if conditions stay as they are then personally I d head to Tignes as having the most high altitude skiing. However it's unlikely that conditions will stay as they are for long.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@pam w,

This is the week of the 13th, it isn't so busy. Last year, we ended up in Cervinia because it was the only place with decent conditions, and there were people there, 2 minute lift lines. 2 out of 3 people had booked somewhere else, and switched to Cervinia because of conditions. So, I'm not worried about the crowds.

For the week starting the 20th, well that's a whole 7 days further down the road. I'm going to be bold, and say we have snow by then in most areas.

So, it's just really the week of the 13th I'm worried about, and thinking I should book something Wednesday or Thursday.

All that said, this extra week of holiday my kids get, isn't such a blessing, it stresses me out. I want to ski - feel obliged to make good use of the off season time, and yet it's like the worst off season week. Twisted Evil I have suggested this move this week to after the Christmas holiday (I mean, what's the difference?) but my suggestion wasn't welcomed.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@HeidiAmsterdam, I'll be out in Val Thorens from 12th December. You did put it bluntly but semi-accurately when you asked if the choice is concrete blocks or cow pastures.

The freezing line has been knocking around the 2000m mark and above for the last week. This early in the season the snow will be good on piste in VT and pretty scratchy much below. Last year people were being bussed in from every else.

If it's skiing you want next week then go to VT. Don't worry about what Pam is saying, even if people are being bussed in it is still a quiet week and they'll be no queues at lifts. There's also the brits in the ski cross championship to cheer on as well.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Don't worry about what Pam is saying, even if people are being bussed in it is still a quiet week

What Pam actually said was
Quote:

If Val Thorens were the only place in the 3V with good snow at Christmas I'd rather save my money for another time.

People reading this are not just thinking about the pre-Christmas week, for which Val Thorens would no doubt be an excellent choice (would be my second choice after Tignes wink )
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I am leaning towards Tignes or Val D'Isere... it has more appeal than Val Thorens

More than that, I am a bit bummed with myself that I didn't book tickets to SLC for 331 EUR return last month when I had the chance. With the epic pass, I could have skied Park City and then drove out to Tahoe, and have Christmas with my brothers and parents, which has happened for decades... but husband needs to work, and claims to not be able to manage his work remotely with a 8 hour time difference....

Anyhow - off searching for something catered in Tignes or Val D'Isere. No matter what, I taking a vacation from the kitchen.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@HeidiAmsterdam, On the weather thread you've said that you've booked, and cancelled Sestriere, which is at 1300 odd metres. Surely you should take the advice of Pam and others and forget the cute village looks and go somewhere with early season snow?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I booked Sestriere months ago. It is a bit higher than that, 2000 meters to be exact. But snow gods haven't been kind to the Milky Way this year.

Yep - will be taking the good advice from folks here... will end up in Tignes or Val D'Isere I expect.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
think we'll see the cannons on this week, temps look to be nearly back to average with colder overnight and freezing levels back to more sensible levels.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Little Martin wrote:
think we'll see the cannons on this week, temps look to be nearly back to average with colder overnight and freezing levels back to more sensible levels.

Thats great news for the lower slopes Very Happy
As a piste skiier, hows the top half doing?
Any particular lines I'm meant to look at on the squiggle chart on page 1 for incoming snow??
snow conditions
we want the bottom lines to match up with each other, and preferably tall, nothing to get excited about yet Sad

check the live map link for open pistes, should see more open this weekend.

27 sleeps to go...
snow report
But is the chart indicating potentially more snow from the 14th?
ski holidays
yes, but it always tends to show something happening that far out as they can't predict accurately or even remotely accurately that far out.

http://www.spodnet.net/weather/

you can watch the last few days there of wiggles, what we want is something to track all the way along showing on the majority of runs
ski holidays
Be nice to see something solid on the forecast. I've got 8 weeks to go... I spent all of last December praying for snow in Sauze... (the snow arrived on the last day I was there.) And 3 of the days had seriously limited lift activity due to high winds. Sad
YR is showing a little tomorrow and then something more on the 15th & 16th and Bergfex says something similar.
As @Little Martin, said though, the temps are solidly below zero for the foreseeable which helps with snow making.
Just the top of the mountain and over towards Orelle could do with a bit of a dump!! Ill keep doing my snow dance Smile
snow report
Looks like a small amount of snow might fall overnight, not a lot but something is better than nothing Wink
snow report
Snow canons are on in 1850 today Very Happy
ski holidays
letsgetpiste wrote:
Be nice to see something solid on the forecast. I've got 8 weeks to go... I spent all of last December praying for snow in Sauze... (the snow arrived on the last day I was there.) And 3 of the days had seriously limited lift activity due to high winds. Sad
YR is showing a little tomorrow and then something more on the 15th & 16th and Bergfex says something similar.
As @Little Martin, said though, the temps are solidly below zero for the foreseeable which helps with snow making.
Just the top of the mountain and over towards Orelle could do with a bit of a dump!! Ill keep doing my snow dance Smile

2 months? You'll be fine by then. I'm still hoping for some over the next week so that I can book my Christmas trip.
ski holidays
looks like the disturbance in the force around the 15th, lets hope that stays around, what comes afterwards at the moment doesn't look pretty.

Help me FI, you are our only hope
latest report
I'm still toying with looking for late availability for 19th to 26th December, this weekend. Prices are dropping in 3V - not so much VT part though.
ski holidays
Hi everyone. Can anyone recommend a taxi service from Moûtiers (Salins-Brides-les-Bains station) to Val Thorens?
snow report
t40ora wrote:
I'm still toying with looking for late availability for 19th to 26th December, this weekend. Prices are dropping in 3V - not so much VT part though.

Yeah, I'm looking for the same deal (or anywhere that's got access to high slopes). THe longer we go without decent snow the more the price drops for the rest of the 3V, but reckon VT will stay relatively expensive as it becomes a target for everyone if there's no fresh stuff. Not easy holding my nerve, I've got half a mind to just book a trip and deal with whatever conditions I let myself in for Very Happy
latest report
@oleksii,
Look up the altibus time first from Moutiers to VT. Lot cheaper: €11 ish last time I checked. Pre book your seat.
Think the taxi charges are pretty standard unless anyone knows different.
snow conditions
@SnoodyMcFlude,
Quote:

Yeah, I'm looking for the same deal (or anywhere that's got access to high slopes). THe longer we go without decent snow the more the price drops for the rest of the 3V, but reckon VT will stay relatively expensive as it becomes a target for everyone if there's no fresh stuff. Not easy holding my nerve, I've got half a mind to just book a trip and deal with whatever conditions I let myself in for

I think Meribel is looking quite good for deals, and simple access to VT.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@oleksii, a taxi for two of us from Moutiers to Les Menuires (27km) is 75€ so VT is going to be a little more as its another 10km up the valley.
snow conditions
@oleksii, might be worth checking the various seasonaires/tarentaise valley facebook groups, might be able to get a cheap transfer if someone has space
latest report
Whiterides are reasonable but only if there is 6-8 of you. (in my experience!)
snow conditions
Winter's here Very Happy Yesterday was whiteout / low cloud down to 1600M with some snow up top. Today is cold and the canons are running everywhere...
snow report
Huzzah!!
latest report
Raceplate wrote:
Winter's here Very Happy Yesterday was whiteout / low cloud down to 1600M with some snow up top. Today is cold and the canons are running everywhere...

Fantastic stuff! The squiggles around the 15th and 16th still look promising.

Question though... How bad is VT in weather like yesterday? Will a good set of yellows lenses see me right?
snow report
00Z looks ok, 06Z needs to repeat, but does look like something around the 15th is getting more likely, possibly with several lots of precipitation to follow in varying quantities. FL might be a little high for the lower resorts, but anything above 1800m should be ok which probably covers the majority of runs in 3v, get those cannons on when they can and lower resorts should be skiable still

Temps could take a dive around Christmas in FI, lets hope Santa delivers a sack load of snow too.
ski holidays
@letsgetpiste, VT in Dec /Jan can be very cold, windblown and suffer from low cloud so yes, yellow lenses can be good. Trouble with 3V's though is that the weather can change dramatically over 2-3 hours so photochromic lenses are the best. I recommend Bolle modulators.
snow conditions
letsgetpiste wrote:
Raceplate wrote:

Question though... How bad is VT in weather like yesterday? Will a good set of yellows lenses see me right?

In proper bad weather VT is the grimmest place I've ever been, ever, ever, and I've been doing this since 1982 (4 times a year for the last couple). Yellow lenses might "see you right" but you won't want to be out there, trust me.
ski holidays
Raceplate wrote:
@letsgetpiste, VT in Dec /Jan can be very cold, windblown and suffer from low cloud so yes, yellow lenses can be good. Trouble with 3V's though is that the weather can change dramatically over 2-3 hours so photochromic lenses are the best. I recommend Bolle modulators.

I'm there from the 30th of Jan so I may well miss the worst of the conditions if you are correct! I dont think I've got another pair of goggles in the budget this year as I'm hitting the EoSB in VT as well this year. I'll definitely look into the modulators moving forward. Never imagined you could get photochromic lenses.

andyrew wrote:
In proper bad weather VT is the grimmest place I've ever been, ever, ever, and I've been doing this since 1982 (4 times a year for the last couple). Yellow lenses might "see you right" but you won't want to be out there, trust me.

Is this where the 3V pass pays off? I was chatting to my brother about this and he has Meribel noted as being more tree lined?
latest report
The tree lines of Meribel will definitely save you on a poor visibility day but, that is entirely reliant on the links over the top being open!
snow report
andyrew wrote:

Looolll Laughing Laughing Laughing

VT's chairs aren't nicknamed the freezer and the icebox for nothing Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy