Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

LES ARCS 2015 - 2016

Poster: A snowHead
Photo from the Les Arcs Pisteurs, be careful out there:

Also wanted to add, a lot of student groups are out this week, and I've seen their facebook posts saying 'first pow day of the season, remember no, friends on a pow day, etc etc' - but no mention of avi risk/safety gear/etc. Almost asking for trouble.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Unfortunately stupidity is not the reserve of the young, it's not only students who act recklessly on and off piste.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ceebe wrote:
Hi all,

Due out in Les Arcs in mid February, but pleased to see some snow! I know mod Feb is a long away away in weather terms, but watching eagerly none the less!

Staying in 1800 and was wondering if anyone has recommendations for hire shops - particularly that cater for snowboarders? Got very badly burnt by Ski Republic in Tignes last year and keen to avoid another failure!

Would like to stay in 1800 of at all possible, but if there is a strong recommendation out of 1800 will consider it.

Thanks,

Chris

We've just used rentalrepublic in La Plagne and they've been bloody excellent. They fit you in your accommodation and come back out again if there are problems. The guy has just left our chalet after changing some boots. Can't fault the service and they are reasonably priced too
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@ceebe, Perfectly ok to ask questions here. We chat about everything to do with Les Arcs and the paradiski on this thread not just the weather and snow conditions. Have always done so and will continue to do so.

For Arc 1800 gear rental, you have a few choices. Skiset which have loads of shops. Intersport which have a few. A couple of small single owner ones which are very good and of course Ski republic which as you have found out, you pay for what you get!?

My advice go to one of the small ones, better choice and good service. There is one right near Bar Bou Bou at the Chantel end. Sorry forgot the name, but I will ask someone tomorrow and post it for you if nobody else here can remember before then. You could use Polairestar Ski shop down by the bottom of the Funicular if you want. Very good, but quite difficult for you if staying in Arc 1800. Hope that helps.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Today was one of those special days. Light soft powder everywhere and plenty of places to put down fresh tracks even with the higher lifts closed. Only two lifts open in the Arc 2000 bowl for most of the day.

After meeting up we started playing around the pistes and forests of Arc 1600. With around 40cm's in the past two days and snow still falling the rocks, tree branches and holes were starting to get a safer depth of cover so that you did not damage your gear quite so easily as yesterday.

After exhausting this area we went across to the Arc 1800 area and found some more untracked snow (today it was easy to find places to make your own tracks). More fun in snow up to your waist in places even right by the piste. Some nice steeper pitches gave a chance to really get our techniques sharp for later in the season. The new traverse piste was open and proved very useful. On busy days this will help a great deal to avoid queues when going to Arc 1600 from Peisey Vallandry.

Then across to the Peisey Vallandry area and even after lunch still plenty of places to make more fresh tracks. Many people around, but with the snow still falling it was easy to find some sweet spots to ride. Finally with aching legs it was time to head for home.

They did open the new Carreley chair later in the afternoon and even the Arpette chair was seen running, but they did not allow anyone to ski down the back towards Arc 1950 in the off piste area (at least while we were around) which was very wise as this is a steep and avalanche prone slope.

The pistes we used right across Les Arcs today were all in an excellent condition after the snowfall in the last 24/48 hrs. The wind had done some damage to the more exposed runs so you may find icy or hard packed snow still in some places, but that is to be expected at this time of year. Overall IMO the conditions now are on track to be as good as any year. Fingers crossed that it stays cold and does keep snowing as forecast.

Another good day in the powder. Even with all the higher areas closed Les Arcs proved to be great with it's varied terrain and forests to play in. The winter has really arrived. Anyone out next week should have a great time.

@timlongs, a rather general statement about the students as quite a few I ride with carry all the gear, even ABS bags and know how to use it all. It is sometimes the older members of a group these days that have less knowledge. Many kids have been riding for years. The conditions yesterday and today were interesting, but if you know where to go, can read and understand the snow conditions and are careful which slopes you ride you can still have a great time on and off piste.

Tim, if you are here all season get in touch and we can arrange to do some riding this winter.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@angusert4, the snow has fallen well below predicted levels last night, and snowing again now, don't worry too much about levels, and there is a good base forming that should last some time.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
snowcrazy wrote:

@timlongs, a rather general statement about the students as quite a few I ride with carry all the gear, even ABS bags and know how to use it all. It is sometimes the older members of a group these days that have less knowledge. Many kids have been riding for years. The conditions yesterday and today were interesting, but if you know where to go, can read and understand the snow conditions and are careful which slopes you ride you can still have a great time on and off piste.

Tim, if you are here all season get in touch and we can arrange to do some riding this winter.

Hey Chris, agreed a general statement, but the facebook post in question was posted by the company organising the ski holiday for the students, for some it could be their first ski trip abroad without family members/ski instructors. I'd have just liked to see a comment made on the post to remind them about dangers etc. I'm 24 myself and have all the correct gear but know many seasonnaires who ski off piste (be it side country/whatever) without the proper gear. Riding their luck, but not my problem and in my seasons I didn't ride with those people.

Also Chris, I've left BSM now, had a good 2 winters out there but am now back in the UK. Hoping to get out again soon so I'll be in touch if I ever am. In my 2 seasons I never managed to get to ski the North Face of the Bellecote.

Enjoy the snow.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Today's photos are now posted over on the Les Arcs Winter page in the January 2016 album. Take a look at the great conditions today!

@timlongs, pity we never did get to ride together. Please do get in touch if you do come back this way. The BNF is amazing! I agree with you re. some seasonnaires and the company that posted what you wrote do need to be careful. But I guess the company are just trying to fill beds!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Another 15cm new snow outside the window this morning, low clouds, so another day around the trees in prospect. Yesterday was good fun with occasional plays in heavy fresh snow, and lots of soft snow moguls on piste, with evidence of last weeks ice and tree roots at the bottom of some moguls, but all of those will be bashed to a memory by now.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks @snowcrazy that's really helpful. If you could find the name of the small shop that would be great - I think this year I will try a small shop that want to do a good job, rather than a chain shop.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi @snowcrazy, I am staying in Vallandry next week and plan to join the SCGB instructor group how easy and how long will it take is it to get over to the meeting place in the morning for 09:30?
It sounds like there are a few snowHead in the area next week Smile
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quick question, is anyone else using "Yuge" and if so how are they finding it? We tried it out during our trip over Christmas and New Year but most of the features didn't seem to work especially the tracking. They did seem to be continuously rolling out upgrades so wondered if it had gotten any better?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Another quick question, does anyone know how the roads up to 1800 are currently? Just rang the hire car company to try to switch to a 4WD, but they wanted to up the booking from £270 to £480!!

as such i'm going to be sticking with the original Front wheel Drive and take some socks/ buy some chains if needs be, will this be sufficient?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@mikeholmes25, Where are you hiring from, snow chains should be included is Swiss side Geneva?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
For web cam geeks Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed , 2 new web cams from Les Arcs and live ones too.

http://www.lesarcs.com/livecam-combettes.html
ski holidays
wills_h wrote:
Quick question, is anyone else using "Yuge" and if so how are they finding it? We tried it out during our trip over Christmas and New Year but most of the features didn't seem to work especially the tracking. They did seem to be continuously rolling out upgrades so wondered if it had gotten any better?

Deleted it after about 2 mins. Hate having to set account up, couldn't find web cams, it was utter shoite IMO.
snow report
Hiring from Lyon airport, apparently they don't have winter tyres for the car we've booked, hence the attempt to change

Think we may just send our resident frenchie in to the hire office and see if he can negotiate a better motor!
ski holidays
mikeholmes25 wrote:
Hiring from Lyon airport, apparently they don't have winter tyres for the car we've booked, hence the attempt to change

Think we may just send our resident frenchie in to the hire office and see if he can negotiate a better motor!

Sorry we always use Geneva and it is compulsory to have winter tyres there. When you coming in, check that against weather and then negotiate at airport. However if nothing else make sure you have snow chains as if weather is bad then police can make them compulsory and with them you should be fine.
snow report
thefatcontroller wrote:
Deleted it after about 2 mins. Hate having to set account up, couldn't find web cams, it was utter shoite IMO.

I've no problem with setting up an account, provided the poxy thing actually works! Back to Ski Tracks I think Laughing
latest report
@thefatcontroller, nice cams, well spotted. Just had a look and are working well tonight.

@mikeholmes25, roads up to resort are slippy and the sign for chain is on most of the time right now. If you do not have winter tyres then snow chains might be needed. Just depends what time you arrive and how far up you need to go. French car hire is never good for winter gear. They make you pay extra. Crying or Very sad

@wills_h, The youngsters out with us last week tried it and said it was rubbish. I have never tried and based on what they said will not bother, disappointing. Sounds like the crystal app is better.

@Linds, does this mean you have PAID to go with an Evolution Instructor? Could be hard to make it for 9.30am if the lifts are delayed as they have been this week.
snow conditions
Report for today. 5 January 2016. What a day!
We thought yesterday was good, but today just got better and better!

Started with a little blast down to Arc 1800 on a few small off piste meadows to check out the snow after the last 12 hours of snowfall. We were not disappointed.

The tracks were all gone from the day before, the depth was well above our knees and it was light and fluffy! Time to head to bigger areas.

The top lifts in Les Arcs and La Plagne were still closed so we headed for Montchavin Les Coches area. Up top and it was time to play.

First a few runs from the top left of the chairs. Plenty of space to put fresh tracks with few people riding off piste. As this is a reasonably safe area (you can never say completely safe) we took great care but found some excellent snow.

Then up Crozats chair just as it opened and a whole mountain of untracked snow just waiting to be skied.

After three trips from the top of the ridge down to the valley floor on fresh light powder it was time for a late lunch. After lunch another run top to bottom and still plenty of room for more fresh tracks.

Finally we headed through the meadows and forest down the Les Coches side and back to the Vanoise Express. The new glass floor in the Vanoise Express is nice, but it would be better if you could stand on it and look down.

An easy ski back to Arc 1800 on the pistes as a warm down and then home. Quite a day! My guess is we did at least 7,000 vertical meters on fresh untracked powder today maybe even more.

What ever it was it was really fun and we look forward to doing it all again tomorrow or the next day after the fresh snowfall predicted for tonight and tomorrow passes over and the light improves again. We even had some sunny spells and blue sky at times today.

For the piste skiers among you. After all the fresh snow, conditions are getting better and better. Most of the ice seems to have gone, even down towards the Vanoise express although there are still some very hard packed snow patches to catch you out late in the afternoon.

On the Les Arcs side we did not see any icy patches today, just firm snow covered with fresh powder first thing in the morning, really fun to ski. On some blue/red pistes the heavy traffic started to form moguls and bumps later in the day, but they will be bashed tonight.

Get up early and enjoy smooth pistes covered in fresh snow first thing in the morning. Tomorrow should be another great day I hope!
Photos of today on the Les Arcs Winter page in the January 2016 Album. Enjoy!

https://www.facebook.com/LesArcsWinter/

Sad news coming from Val d'Isere. Take care out there and if you do not know the safe places to go off piste TAKE A GUIDE!
snow report
Morning all, does anyone know if the little bus still runs from 1800 to Chantel now that the Dahu lift is in operation? Thanks.
snow report
@macduff, yes, it is still running. The timetable is changed from last year: every 30 minutes not every 20; stops for a few hours in the afternoon; service finishes at 9.30pm (Dahu operates until 10.30pm).
latest report
Think it has been asked before and there was talk that maybe it was possible but coming from Peisey over to 1800 is it possible to get to the new Carrely lift?
latest report
@thefatcontroller, you can get to Carreley from the top of the Derby lift and Transarc mid-station, but I don't think from the Vallandry chairs.
snow report
Quote:

yes, it is still running. The timetable is changed from last year: every 30 minutes not every 20; stops for a few hours in the afternoon; service finishes at 9.30pm (Dahu operates until 10.30pm)

Thanks Rob, only really need it when we arrive on Saturday morning, will be a tad easier than dragging bag through the town!
latest report
rob@rar wrote:
@thefatcontroller, you can get to Carreley from the top of the Derby lift and Transarc mid-station, but I don't think from the Vallandry chairs.

Was hoping you could get straight there form Vallandry, otherwise in 1800 it looks like you have to take a new bubble and take your board/skis off for a short ride up? Though coming out of 2000 via Bois chair this now gives a great long run down to 1800.
ski holidays
@rob@rar, Sorry being a bit cheeky about the bus/Dahu lift. We arrive Saturday as well. How easy is it to access the Dahu lift on foot with bags?
Also the bus time table on website is still old one. We have an early Bens Bus back next Sat. How early do the shuttle buses start now? (Starting to think we'll be walking down the hill).
Any info at all will be helpful. Thanks.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Has anyone previously dealt with a company called my french chalet renting out apartments in 1800 chantel development and know if they are totally reputable please?
ski holidays
@wills_h, yes, I know the company. They manage a number of apartments in my building (at Chantel) and are totally reputable.
ski holidays
@bethc, I think the shuttle bus is the easiest option, assuming Ben's Bus drops you off in the main bus terminus in Charvet, as it would be a bit of a schlep to get to the Dahu carrying your luggage.

On a Saturday the Charvet-Chantel shuttle starts at 8.00am, and runs every half an hour until 8.00pm. The first departure from Chantel down to Charvet is at 8.10am.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 6-01-16 19:59; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
@rob@rar, thank you. I thought I was probably being a little paranoid but have seen some awful tales recently. I guess that's another beer I owe you.
ski holidays
thefatcontroller wrote:
Was hoping you could get straight there form Vallandry, otherwise in 1800 it looks like you have to take a new bubble and take your board/skis off for a short ride up? Though coming out of 2000 via Bois chair this now gives a great long run down to 1800.
I don't think it's possible even with the new lift (it never has been). The easiest route from the top of the Vallandry chair to get to 2000 would be down to 1800 and then use the TransArc, as before. I can't see the point of faffing around with the new gondola as that would involve two lifts rather than just one.
snow report
wills_h wrote:
@rob@rar, thank you. I thought I was probably being a little paranoid but have seen some awful tales recently. I guess that's another beer I owe you.
Always happy to help. MFC contract out their cleaning/linen service to the same company that I use for my apartment, and they are also extremely reliable. I've never heard anything bad about MFC, although I've not had much to do with them (with just one exception, where they were very good an additional apartment I needed).
ski holidays
@rob@rar, thanks for the info. It's as I feared then - we will be walking down on Saturday morning. Forewarned is forearmed anyway! Thanks for your help!
snow conditions
@bethc, do you need to get down to Bourg for an early train? It's a right pain to walk down the road, especially with luggage. Maybe get a taxi?
latest report
@rob@rar, Actually it's for Bens Bus at 8.35. If the shuttle is reliable it will be fine. Think I'm just having a last minute flap about a new resort! Thanks again.
ski holidays
@bethc, I think you'll be just fine with the shuttle from Chantel down to Charvet to meet the BB service at 8.35am. The shuttle seems very reliable (at least when I've used it).

Perhaps explain to Ben's Bus that you are coming down from Chantel on the first shuttle so they know to look out for you in case it is running a few minutes late (very unlikely). The shuttle drive from Chantel to Charvet is scheduled to be 10 minutes (the first shuttle should arrive in Charvet at 8.20am), but usually seems much quicker than that.
snow conditions
@rob@rar, thanks again. It's good to know they are reliable. I'm sure we'll be fine then. Really appreciate your help.
snow conditions
6 January 2016. The weather is changing again, but still plenty of powder to be found! Today we had both skiers and snowboard. The weather started with blue sky, but it changed as the day progressed. Finishing with more snow and flat light.

Started the day with some easy cruising down the pistes on the Arc 1600 side. All the pistes we used today were in very good condition. Firm with a soft top layer, making easy turning and I did not hit any rocks or icy patches on piste all day.

After a little piste skiing it was time to find the powder! Went up Clocheret chair and onto the meadows. Plenty of room to put down fresh tracks and to check out an earlier avalanche! After a couple of runs down both sides of the pistes. It was time to head back up top.

From the Arpette ridge, down to the Marmotte chair through the off piste area. Not a problem today. Did not hit any rocks the whole way down.

As the higher lifts were closed, went and looked at Lanchettes valley. Pisteurs on patrol advising against going down so went on Par Avalanche instead. A little (!?) walk along the ridge, but then good snow on the shoulder down to the open area and great powder, mostly untracked all the way to the piste into Villaroger.

A late lunch back in Arc 2000 then over to Malgovert for some fun. Picked up the phone for a certain young lady on the way past the Chalet!

Managed to get some photos of the jumps and the cliff wall in the forest, always fun!. Then time to head for home down the hidden piste which is now a piste again!!

Another fun day and with snow falling outside as I write, tomorrow should be "more of the same!"

Roads are passable, but you are likely to need chains. If it stays cold and snows more as predicted. Next week will be amazing!!

Photos from today are already posted on the Les Arcs Winter page in the January 2016 Album. Enjoy!

https://www.facebook.com/LesArcsWinter/

Yet again Polairestar proved to be the shop to use. First they very quickly repaired a broken boot so as not to miss any snow time and later they did an adjustment to some bindings to make sure they are safe. Excellent service.

If you need to rent skis / snowboards or have forgotten anything for the day on the mountain. Check out their shop at the bottom of the funicular.

http://www.polairestar.com/
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy