Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

LES ARCS 2015 - 2016

Poster: A snowHead
For service of skis I always use Equilibre up in 2000. Very friendly service1
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Happy new year Rob and thanks for the great pictures. Christmas week has been hugely better than last year. snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
+1 for equilibres

http://equilibres.free.fr/
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w wrote:
Happy new year Rob and thanks for the great pictures. Christmas week has been hugely better than last year. snowHead
And to you Pam. It has been better than last year, and I think better than some other resorts at lower altitudes or south of the main Alpine ridge. That's not to say that conditions have been good, far from it, but the resort has worked extremely hard to make the most of the natural and manmade snow they have available. For us, we've been very happy to cruise slowly around the blues and to spend plenty of time enjoying the world from unseasonably warm sun terraces. That's a rare treat in December, so we've had a very lovely Christmas week Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ta very much peeps. I have literally just DIY serviced them, I'm just not convinced they won't need re-servicing Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@pam w, @Arctic Roll, Christmas week was a world better than last year. Last year the few open runs had grass showing through and stones everywhere. My son and wife even refused to come out some days it was so bad (until the infamous Saturday that is) this year I was actually suprised how good the conditions were - the pistes were on the firm side by and large, but there were some good runs - The Aiguille Rouge, Tuffs and early in the week Refuge were very good. Mont Blanc started good (once you could get to it) but towards the end of the week was getting a bit thin.

Importantly for the conditions, the resort was very quiet, you could mess up a turn and side slip for 50m without being a hazard. But it was sad to be the only customers in restaurants some evenings and seeing bars deserted at the end of the day. The Arpette even canceled their evening meal and moon lit decent because only two parties booked.

We visited the swimming pool at Mile8 one evening and actually enjoyed it.

Mind you it wasn't so peaceful on the way home yesterday. It took be over an hour to get to Bourg st Maurice and refuel at the SuperU and another hour to Moutier. After that it was plain sailing to Calais where our Shuttle crossing was canceled but we only had to wait an hour for the next one. I regard a delay of less than 90 minutes at the channel tunnel as being lucky. However warning light came on on the car and it switched to "get you to a dealers" mode. We eventually got home at 3:30.

A very enjoyable week.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@johnE, @rob@rar, thanks for the updates.

First time we're out is 16th Jan, so here's hoping tht we get the same conditions as last Jan ( 2 days of sun, 72 hours non stop snow, 2 days of thigh deep powder ( and on a Saturday too, so no people either!) )
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just back from Les Arcs 2000 and was pleasantly surprised by the conditions. Low runs icy and the odd rock to dodge but higher up conditions were good. Although it was sunny every day bar one the resort didn't seem very crowded with only a handful of queues over 5 minutes all week. The 3 unpisted blacks under the Varet gondoler had excellent, if thin snow. And there were some fun moguls to be found just below the Grand Col and elsewhere. Also had a great day on Bellecote on our one day in La Plagne. Love the Bulle cafe on the slopes just above 2000. Great music, good food & the cheapest coffee (grand creme 2.5 euros) we found in the resort.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bulls cafe is a great place. Cheap good beer and deck chairs!

Went for a boot pack off the top of transarc yesterday. It was fairly brutal but worth it for the knee deep powder that has been completely shaded from the sun. Fresh tracks and a solid base, some exposed rocks made for some real fun!

Can't complain too much about the conditions, met a couple who said Tignes was in a far worse state!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hope people don't mind me contributing my opinion on the current conditions - from a snowboarder's point of view (I get the impression a lot of people commenting so far are skiers and they may have a different perspective on conditions, but correct me if I'm wrong!). A little about me - I've been snowboarding for 18 years and have done 5 seasons working in Austria (between 1997 & 2004). Now I have a "proper job" back in the UK I still try to go boarding 2-3 weeks each season on holiday with my partner (he's an ex snowboard instructor and he is also a competent skier and is now also learning to telemark). We've just got back from Les Arcs 2000 from our Christmas week holiday and both of us found the boarding conditions difficult (he hired telemark skis and found it much easier than the board). The runs above Arcs 2000 were definitely the best, and those higher up in La Plagne. Getting to and from La Plagne however was a nightmare on a board even for us as very experienced boarders, with the runs lower down towards the links like sheet ice/hard pack. I found it very difficult trying to board smoothly even higher up as I was constantly concerned about the potential to lose control on the ice or worrying about other people when needing to turn at the last minute trying to avoid rocks. By the final day of my holiday (Saturday) I was quite over it and thought had I been there for another week I'd have hired snowshoes and gone walking in the beautiful sunshine instead! Despite that I did manage to have fun on the few pistes that were in reasonable condition and the weather and views were simply stunning. Unfortunately I'm the kind of snowboarder who loves either off-piste (I've had previous amazing off-piste boarding in Les Arcs - one day a few years ago at Christmas-time up in one of the top 5 boarding days of my life!) or super-long piste runs down cruisey Blues down to low villages through tree runs. So a bit disappointed with my week. Hope it's not too busy and difficult this week for those of you there for New Years week. Hope all of you there all season get some significant snow soon. x
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yes, I'll second that even on skis those runs from La Plagne down to the Vanoise Express were icy & treacherous.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Mon 28-12-15 17:49; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@snow____angel, The conditions did not look great for snowboarding to put in mildly, but the proportions of boarders out there seemed about the same as usual (5-10%) and if anything a slightly younger demographic. What impressed me the most was the number of monoskiers out and about. I thought both groups were very brave in those conditions. You have my admiration.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Today was quite odd imo... Every piste seemed 50/50. Lots of small soft moguls then ice ice ice...
Santa also delivered the first core shot of the season too.

Just skied down to 1600 on Arpette, just down from the restaurants there are some big rocks lurking!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
December 30 2015.

Just posted today's photos over on the Les Arcs Winter page in the December 2015 album.

https://www.facebook.com/LesArcsWinter/photos_stream

Take a look at what conditions are really like.

It is good to be back even if the snow is thin. We had fun away from the busy pistes. You just need to be careful and look out for rocks. Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just over three weeks before I am in Les Arcs. Hope the snow comes
snow report
Just in time for arrival on the 9th.....Toofy Grin Cool

snow report
From www.Savoie-route.fr

Due to the predicted snowfall tomorrow (02:01:2016) The official advice is to leave the resorts by car BEFORE 09:00

www.savoie-route.fr
snow conditions
thefatcontroller wrote:
Just in time for arrival on the 9th.....Toofy Grin Cool

We're going on the 9th too!

That better be right Twisted Evil .
ski holidays
Also travelling on 9th, Eurostar to Bourg, then funicular and ski bus round to 1800. That forecast looks promising, will be keeping an eye on this thread. Hope people have safe passage tomorrow and next week.
ski holidays
I'm driving GVA to Peisey Sunday evening, and haven't done the run since the autoroute past Annecy opened. I'd be glad to hear your local advice about whether to go via Annecy along the lake or flog all around the motorway.
snow report
Is it snowing up there yet??

Need to know if I can justify my new pow planks tomorrow...
ski holidays
Happy New Year everyone. Look forward to seeing some of you here in Les Arcs this winter.

Just posted the photos from New Year's Eve over on the Les Arcs Winter page in the December 2015 Album.

https://www.facebook.com/LesArcsWinter/

The weather is starting to change. Even a little fresh snow high on the glacier. The pistes are busy, but it is possible to get away from everyone with a little effort!

For anyone coming out to Les Arcs, remember to stop at Polairestar ski shop for all those little things you may have forgotten or to rent your skis or snowboard. http://www.polairestar.com/

There was a little fresh snow yesterday and some nice snow to ski today. Now we must hope the predicted heavier snowfall arrives over the next few days.
New Year's Day photos of the fresh powder to follow once I have started the new Jan 2016 Album!
snow report
snowcrazy wrote:
For anyone coming out to Les Arcs, remember to stop at Polairestar ski shop for all those little things you may have forgotten or to rent your skis or snowboard. http://www.polairestar.com/

Does this shameless plugging not contravene some rules of the site?
snow conditions
@Minion1980, it's not Chris' store, and I'll also +1 the recommendation.

What a day. Huge dumps of snow, mountain was deserted for a few hours in the morning with visibility really deteriorating in the afternoon. Was fantastic to be back on the soft stuff!! Long may it continue!
ski holidays
haigie wrote:
@Minion1980, it's not Chris' store, and I'll also +1 the recommendation.

What a day. Huge dumps of snow, mountain was deserted for a few hours in the morning with visibility really deteriorating in the afternoon. Was fantastic to be back on the soft stuff!! Long may it continue!

It might not be his shop but why constantly post the advert, it's not like anyone has asked for where best to hire/buy anything? Either he's getting a kickback or doing a favour for his mate, regardless it is still plugging/advertising as far as I can see.
latest report
Just got home. The winter has finally come back. Roads are clear right now for all those driving up to resort stations, but as the night gets colder there will be ice and the snow will settle on the side roads and maybe even the main roads. The signs recommending chains are turned on so my advice to anyone coming out is have your chains handy just in case they are needed on your drive up.

Full report of today will follow later. But two words are enough for now. FRESH SNOW!!

Hope everyone out today had as much fun as we did. All the way to Champagny, Montalbert, Plagne centre and back across Les Arcs and I did not hit a single stone!
snow report
@haigie, if you fancy meeting up tomorrow to go hunt the powder we will be on the 9.20 funi. Bring your fat ski, safety gear and food as we do not plan on stopping much if the snow keeps falling all night! Could be a good day!
snow report
@snowcrazy, the fatties should be ready in the morning! I'm game
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The photos from today skiing from Arc 1600 to Champagny and Montalbert are now posted in the January 2016 Album on the Les Arcs Winter page.

What a difference a day makes!

Take a look at the change in the conditions. About 10 cm so far across the ski area with more to come tonight. The conditions in Les Arcs and La Plagne have improved very quickly.

We skied from Arc 1600 right across to Piesey then from Les Coches all the way to the top of the Roche du Mio, Champagny Verdon sub chair, Montalbert and back via Plagne Centre, Plagne Bellecote to the Vanoise Express. Then Arc 1800 and home.

I did not hit a single stone or even earth the whole way although there are still some icy or hard packed pistes.

The conditions on both sides of the Vanoise Express were very similar. Not the very bad conditions of only a few days ago.

Like other ski areas, the Paradiski also needs a great deal of snow to recover to the normal depths for this time of year.

Fingers crossed that the predicted snow does arrive and conditions continue to improve. Very Happy Very Happy Madeye-Smiley

@haigie, and anyone else that has the safety gear and wants to go hunt the powder, either be on the 9.20 funi or meet us at the top of the Carreley Chair at 10am. Bring on the snow! Toofy Grin
latest report
All looking very white this morning up top with clouds in the valley. About 20cm of the white stuff fell in last 24hrs. Roads are passable but take care. Chain warning lights are on for those going up from the valley with more snow to come later tonight.

Time to go, have a nice day.
snow report
Powder everywhere today.

Really fun to ride and loads of places to explore which until now have not been possible to go, at least safely.

With a snowline at around 1500 m the pistes everywhere were freshened up nicely with approx 20 cm of fresh snow across the whole ski area.

On the Les Arcs side the rocks on all the pistes we used today had gone, but sadly due to limited lifts being open for most of the morning, the lift queues were still quite bad in some places. The Varet and the Grand Col finally opened around 2 pm. Some other areas also opened and they hope to have all ski areas open after the next few days snowfall. Another 25 cm or so expected in the coming 24 hours..

We spent most of the morning skiing off the Arpette ridge on various routes. After lunch we managed to get on the lower face off the Aiguille Rouge around the Varet lift.

The powder was good everywhere, well up to your knees in some places and even higher sometimes. Check out the photos in the January 2016 Album on the Les Arcs Winter page.

Although not perfect, the conditions were a great improvement on the last few weeks. It really does look like winter again.

The roads right now are OK, but you might need chains as the night freeze and fresh snow arrives.

For those just arrived or coming out this week you are in for some great condition.
latest report
Just arrived in Villaroger. Drinking a glass of red looking out of the window of the chalet. Been snowing for about an hour lightly. Should be good up top in the morning.
snowHead
snow conditions
Penelope wrote:
Just arrived in Villaroger. Drinking a glass of red looking out of the window of the chalet. Been snowing for about an hour lightly. Should be good up top in the morning.
snowHead

Perfect thanks. Only 6 days now. Cool
latest report
5cm since we arrived at 8pm, really snowing quite hard now.
snow conditions
And must be 15cm at 1300m now, still falling heavily. Those first turns will be fun later on
snow conditions
Snow down to Bourg this morning. Chains or winter tyres are needed on the roads.

About another 25cm fresh snow on the mountain and more coming. Many lifts delayed opening, but still plenty of places to ski in the trees.

Thanks Rosie at Polairestar for sorting out the lost phone yesterday

Time to go hit the powder.
ski holidays
With the snow line predicted to rise, what do you think conditions after the 13th will be like? We are coming all the way from New Zealand Madeye-Smiley
latest report
Yuge is reporting 88 cm of fresh at 3200... I think we'll be fine @angusert4!! (we arrive on 16th)
snow report
Hi all,

Due out in Les Arcs in mid February, but pleased to see some snow! I know mod Feb is a long away away in weather terms, but watching eagerly none the less!

Staying in 1800 and was wondering if anyone has recommendations for hire shops - particularly that cater for snowboarders? Got very badly burnt by Ski Republic in Tignes last year and keen to avoid another failure!

Would like to stay in 1800 of at all possible, but if there is a strong recommendation out of 1800 will consider it.

Thanks,

Chris
snow report
ceebe wrote:
Hi all,

Due out in Les Arcs in mid February, but pleased to see some snow! I know mod Feb is a long away away in weather terms, but watching eagerly none the less!

Staying in 1800 and was wondering if anyone has recommendations for hire shops - particularly that cater for snowboarders? Got very badly burnt by Ski Republic in Tignes last year and keen to avoid another failure!

Would like to stay in 1800 of at all possible, but if there is a strong recommendation out of 1800 will consider it.

Thanks,

Chris

I think a post in 'The Piste' will find a better response than the weather threads! Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy