Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

LES ARCS 2015 - 2016

Poster: A snowHead

Here's hoping! Although it's been very beautiful this last week... Looks like the temperatures are going to plummet mid week. Everything crossed!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@snowcrazy, are you in Bourg or on the mountain?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi is there any news on what lifts/runs will be open from this weekend?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Latest news from the mountain. I know some people think I should spice it up a bit, but I prefer to tell it as it is. Better come prepared than get a bad surprise when you arrive.

Good news and not so good. Made it out to resort now and the weather is very sunny with only a few high clouds later in the day. It is cold at night with a frost in the morning, but it soon warmed up today as I got all my jobs done. Very nice sitting in the sun having a drink this afternoon.

The bad news is that this weather seems set to stay for a while which is not so great for the snow lower down. Right now I have been told they plan to open a piste into each Les Arcs station, but not sure about Villaroger or Peisey Vallandry yet. The lifts will be a rolling opening as last year so only a few main links to start, but this should change as the week goes on. There will be free buses running between stations including Piesey Vallandry, but not Villaroger. The Funi will also be running. As it is the film festival week there are also extra buses running till late to get to see the films even down in Bourg.

As always at this time of year, what opens and when will depend on the snow conditions later next week.

I will keep you updated as I hear further details, but best if everyone coming out for the opening week arrive thinking that not much will be open and then anything extra will be a bonus.
Hope I have not disappointed those coming out for the first week. At least the pistes they have prepared are looking OK even if starting to get a bit thin lower down. Time we all started the snow dance!

If you go to the Les Arcs Winter page you can see a picture of the piste map showing what they hope will open on the first day. In fact I think most of these lifts will not open until the Sunday, but still if they do manage all those lifts it will be great!

https://www.facebook.com/LesArcsWinter/

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 10-12-15 19:57; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the update snowcrazy. The question is will I be able to get around all the open pistes by piste/lift?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Just a quick update this morning.

In answer to peoples questions about the Vanoise Express and the La Plagne side.

The VE is closed for the first week. This is normal, but a pity!!

The lifts in La Coches and Montchavin, Montalbert area and Champagny area are also closed for the first week.

The lifts in La Plagne's main area are about 25% open and they should be publishing details on their web page.

Look's like we are better off in Les Arcs this year with an estimated 50% + open in our ski area for the first week.

Another blue sky sunny day right now. Cold with a frost but sure to warm up fast. Not really the weather we need, but it is nice whilst doing jobs.

Tomorrow the lifts open !! Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm flying out tomorrow, can't wait!

Do you know whether the Varet lift is due to be open above Arc 2000?

Staying in Arc 1950 and on my own on Sunday (until my mate arrives in the evening) if anyone wants to hook up that morning?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@SStreet, (assuming that's who I think it is?!) there's a couple of owners groups arriving on Saturday on the TGV early evening, so you'll probably find you can hook up in Georges.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
SStreet wrote:
I'm flying out tomorrow, can't wait!

Do you know whether the Varet lift is due to be open above Arc 2000?

Staying in Arc 1950 and on my own on Sunday (until my mate arrives in the evening) if anyone wants to hook up that morning?

Here you go, if you scroll down this page you will see what lifts are opening - Varet looks like it's open but droset is not so my favourite run down to that chair from the top won't be doable I don't think Sad

http://www.lesarcs.com/domaine-skiable.html
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@snowcrazy, thanks for very useful update. Realism appreciated. Not arriving 'til 19th so wait to see before investing in full Paradiski pass, Discovery pass or just Les Arcs/Plan Peisey. Forecast only light flurries midweek and freezing level remaining over 2000m. Not much help for snow cannons. Tend to spend 80%+ time on Les Arcs side even if snow OK at La Plagne. Still, will beat being stuck in pre-Christmas traffic and hearing Shakin' Stevens every hour or so.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Minion1980, I am not a fan of Droset either. Perhaps because it is closed most of the time I am in Les Arcs and when I attempt it I realise why it is closed! Incidently you cannot get to it from Varet anyway. However, there a number of other excellent pistes from Varet, almost all of which are currently closed.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I'm sure there will be some fellow skiers/owners to meet up with in George's Bar! Looking at that map on the Les Arcs website it looks as if more chairs are open this year than last which was pretty poor? Is that because they managed to bash the snow well last month and get the pistes in decent condition?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Feeling rather silly about booking this last weekend now, flying out very early tomorrow morning and the forecasts look depressing. I would really appreciate an update on how the pistes are feeling - is it best to stick to the 2000 bowl or is it worth trying the 1800/Peisey section?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think I might cancel. I am booked on my own, the conditions look sparse below 2000 and whilst I will lose £400 I won't lose another £400 that I will spend on lift pass and spending money.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Million1980, Next week might actually end up better than Christmas week. Currently snow not great but quiet, cheaper pass, sunny rather than rain, one less week of hot weather for the existing snow??! Anyone who could get all/most of their costs back by cancelling would be sensible to do so but if you've paid £400 that you aren't going to get back then surely you go??!
ski holidays
Yeah I see that but I also thinking I should cut my losses as I will spend at least another £400 on the trip on pass and spending money and I just know that on my own I will be bored after a couple of days with the current conditions. I snowboard and hardpacked snow/no powder just make it not particularly fun. For a few days it would be ok but for a week on my own I don't think I would enjoy it. It's all my fault for being overly optimistic on the forecasts which have now changed for the worse. I am going away at the end of Jan anyway, the way I am seeing it is I lose £400 instead of £800. Also I've had some bad news about a family member and whilst I can't do anything about that it is also weighing on my mind, I am not sure how I can go and try and enjoy myself in the circumstances.
snow report
What a nice way to enjoy my birthday. Blue sky most of the day, good company, a picnic in the sun and even a little untracked snow finishing with another hot chocolate at the Altiport. Then a good dinner! Almost time for bed!

Today started with a little play on the unpisted easy red under the Arpette chair!! Then a cruise around the Arc 2000 bowl before heading over to Peisey Vallandry where the pistes to the bottom were very nice for carving the whole way down.

After a picnic with a little wine! we headed back towards Arc 2000 bowl. Found some more untracked snow on the way to the Marmotte Chair. Then back over towards Arc 1600 for another hot chocolate at the Altiport before heading for home! Thanks for a good day everyone!

Monday we meet at the top of the new Carreley Chair at 10.30am for anyone that would like to join us. Hope to see you!

Remember if you are passing through Bourg by the Funicular, Polaire Star Ski Shop is open and waiting with it's great selection of skis and snowbaords to rent.
http://www.polairestar.com/

Photos from yesterday and today are now posted in the new Dec 2015 album.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 14-12-15 1:12; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Happy birthday Chris!!!

Bought a pair of Rocker2's today... Might be able to keep up now!
latest report
Quote:

Today started with a little play on the unpisted easy red under the Arpette chair!!
Toofy Grin
snow report
Had a good couple of days out Sun, Mon and today although, as i'm still recovering the knee from a bad accident last year and am being hesitant, we only had half days - rather to ease in slowly and enjoy a full season over time than muller it in the first week because I was too excited.

Even so, conditions (I've found) are very variable. On the Peisey/vallandry side, the pistes are so far holding up ok - but you should be careful as there really are some nasty rocks poking through the snow and we've already bumped the new skis (nothing the diamond file won't sort out, but annoying none-the-less) Coverage is quite thin in places. A mate has already had to P-Tex up some gauges Sad

On the Arcs side things are better, the north facing pistes help as they're not getting direct sun for large portions of the day. And yesterday they still had the cannons running at around 10.30 - 11am ish. But, there are still a few stones poping out to say a not very nice hello.

Personally, I won't be going out until it snows again. With the weather set to warm over the coming days and although I don't really like forward forecasts, they are all in agreement that the warm/dry trend will continue for at least the next 7 - 10 days, maybe a little further, what with xmas week set to be busy then going in to New year (!!), things are probably going to get a fair bit thinner.

Sad Not trying to be melodramatic, just a personal statement and update.
snow report
Some photos from this afternoon:

And finally, a smiley dog Happy
ski holidays
An update of the last few days!

In between having fun at parties and visiting all the new areas and restaurants around the resort I have spent the last couple of days trying to find some off piste worth riding. Managed to discover some good snow in sheltered places without many rocks.

It has been quite fun looking at places we seldom ride. For those interested I have posted the photos of the routes we have done over in the December 2015 Album on the Les Arcs Winter page.

For those coming out for Christmas the piste conditions have started to change. The places with snow cannons have held up well. They have been working hard to keep as many pistes as possible open. For the coming Christmas week piste conditions are likely to be OK where there are cannons, but without more snow soon it is likely to become challenging over the New Year holidays.

The new Cachette Race piste is already getting a lot of use, but I have been told that public users will still have access unless full length FIS races take place which will not be very often.

The new piste from the mid station of the transarc linking to Arc 1600 is unlikely to be open until we have more snow.

The pistes off the Arpette Ridge in both directions are much wider now and the improved route down the Arc 2000 side is good.

They hope to have the new Dahu gondola linking Arc 1800 and Edenarc open by this coming weekend.

Peisey Vallandry is open in most places if you keep to the pistes with snow cannons, but Villaroger remains closed with no news yet of when it will open for skiing. The Vanoise Express is planned to open next weekend.

Overall the next week without fresh snow should be ok or at least better than last year, but longer term we do need more snow soon! I will post another update before the end of the week.

For anyone passing through Bourg using the funicular do not forget to check out Polaire Star Skis Shop for all those things you might have forgotten. You can also arrange rentals online.
http://www.polairestar.com/
snow conditions
@snowcrazy, @rob@rar, thanks again for great updates and quite encouraging pictures of the white stuff! Looking forward to getting there on Saturday.
On less important matters, anyone know any bars in 1600 or 1800 where English Premier live football can be viewed please? Won't be watching during daylight hours, I hasten to add.
snow report
I think the Mountain Bar in the Charvet part of Arc 1800 has Sky Sports. Nice place, offering some TexMex menu items for those who want a change from a cheese-based diet, and the owner, Oliver, is a very nice chap.
ski holidays
Thanks @rob@rar, we're based in 1600 but the Mountain Bar will do nicely for Saturday evening and Monday night next week.
Quote:

Nice place, offering some TexMex menu items for those who want a change from a cheese-based diet

...I'd never noticed Les Arcs was any cheesier than other French mountain places. Puzzled
latest report
Quote:

.I'd never noticed Les Arcs was any cheesier than other French mountain places.

but they're all cheesy! Savoyarde sodding specialties wherever you look. wink
ski holidays
@pam w,
Quote:

but they're all cheesy! Savoyarde sodding specialties wherever you look

Well as long as it's not too runny, I'm quite partial to the fromage de la Belle France. If it's good enough for Wallace & Gromit, it's good enough for me!
snow report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

.I'd never noticed Les Arcs was any cheesier than other French mountain places.

but they're all cheesy! Savoyarde sodding specialties wherever you look. wink
This.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@intermediate, Both the Abrevoir and the Arvi have TV showing football and rugby union matches at various times, but I couldn't tell what compettions or nationalities are playing
snow conditions
Wednesday 16 December. A little bit of fresh snow made a difference today!

Started off not seeing much fresh snow, but as you got higher you could see the snow/rain line was at around 2200m. After a wet start the sun came out between the clouds and it turned into a very nice day.

Headed to top of Transarc for a little play on the meadows and then up the Aiguille Rouge. Found some more good snow on the glacier and then headed for Villaroger. It is still closed so were not sure how far we would get, but it was worth the effort. Fresh untracked snow at the start. Lower down you needed to head back towards Arc 2000 or risk walking out.

They plan to open this area next weekend. I hope they can,

One more run down the middle of the Arc 2000 bowl then over to check out the snowpark (no work has started yet) then home.

Another fun day with OK snow considering the conditions. The pistes are holding up well in the higher areas and those pistes with snow cannons lower down are still OK. But a bit more fresh snow would help!

Photos from today are posted in the December 2015 album on the Les Arcs Winter page. Take a look at what conditions are like. Enjoy!

snow report
Quote:

The new piste from the mid station of the transarc linking to Arc 1600

For the life of me I can't visualise that in my head Puzzled Isn't there a hill in the way??

Ahh a quick check of Piste Map that makes sense now - that's good as can now get over there from top of Derby without having to go down to 1800 first

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 17-12-15 15:40; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Boris wrote:
Quote:

The new piste from the mid station of the transarc linking to Arc 1600

For the life of me I can't visualise that in my head Puzzled Isn't there a hill in the way??
No, the piste (actually, path would be a better description), sort of follows the contour of the hill around so you don't lose too much height. It's a good way to travel from the Vallandry side of the domain to the 1600 side of the domain without having to drop down in to Arc 1800 and then catch a lift back up.
snow report
@rob@rar, just went and looked at new Piste Map - yes that looks good as like the area around 1600 but is a pain to have to go via 1800. Can now go from top of Derby which would be a nice long cruise, although sure the boarders may need a tow!
snow report
@Boris, I think it's smart thinking by the resort. That path, plus the new Carrelley chairlift, will reduce the queues at the Vagere and TransArc lifts as fewer people will need use 1800 as a transit point.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 17-12-15 16:35; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Pistes holding up reasonably well so far this week, certainly above 1900m which is where I skied today. Firm, grippy snow, if you roll smoothly on to your skis' edges (or polished snow and sideways slides if you suddenly twist the skis), covered in a light sugar-like dusting. Some pistes are starting to see more stones come through, but others remain stone-free with good coverage. Some pistes are softening in the afternoon sun and are lots of fun, as you can crank the skis over and not worry about losing an edge. Still very quiet, with no lift queues anywhere. The uni students in resort head home tomorrow, which will mean less entertaining conversations to listen to on the lift Laughing

The view from Grand Col
ski holidays
Yeh, stones coming through on the piste.

Your just trying to scam us with your bigging up of the conditions.

I've got your number sunshine! Toofy Grin
latest report
Oh dear God. Just realised I've got four more weeks of fret and worry behind I can engage warp speed in Les Arcs.

I'm worried the webcams can't handle the workload!!!
snow report
Piemonster wrote:
Yeh, stones coming through on the piste.

Your just trying to scam us with your bigging up of the conditions.

I've got your number sunshine! Toofy Grin

Actually, I'm dumbing down conditions so the acres of untracked powder are all mine, mine I tell you [FX: evil laugh]
snow report
That's actually double evil.

Like a Marmite covered brussel sprout!
snow conditions
Interested to see they've opened Grand Col - I thought they usually tried to save that for the Christmas / New Year crowds. You lucky, lucky boy.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy