Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Morzine

Poster: A snowHead
Yes I'm sure there a million threads on here about it but I can't be arsed to go past page 2..
Lads trip. Not party mental but enjoy a pint.. Flying local to Geneva, Sunday to Thursday prob late jan early February...
Looking for tips on where to stay in town, zero int buses to lifts etc
Budget reasonable..
Good boozers that aren't banging with yoof
Or any tips on better places to give a whirl close to Geneva.. Not chamonix tho wink
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
By chance, we went to Morzine for the first time ever today, and couldn't believe just how commercial/busy it is compared to the Grand Massif even in the summer. On that basis, if you're up for alternatives equally close to Geneva then I'd suggest you take a look at the GM.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Why would the OP not want Morzine because it's "busy"? Sounds like busy would suit him quite well.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Because he wasn't looking for 'party mental' or places 'banging with yoof'. Even in the middle of the day mid-summer there were hints of both. And because the reason he posted was to ask for alternatives other than Chamonix!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@sj1608, thanks Did,Les,carroz in jan.. Shocking conditions for,boarding! Icey pistes all day and no snow
Thought Gm was great tho.. Particularly liked the bottle neck into flaine dodging the mud Shocked
Flaine must be awesome on a powder day .. Ans that two man standing thing to get you back out s brilliant.

But the team want new. So new it is.. Not to fussed about a lively resort. But would prefer a few quieter bars with less banging base and bolloxed Yoof
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@CANV CANVINGTON, I quite like Morzine and you don't have to get involved in the party malarky. A I've posted before I've used www.morzinelets.com for our lads trips. Costs are reasonable. The Ridge Hotel is about 10mins walk to SuperMorzine goldola.

As an alternative your could consider La Clusaz or even Courmayeur. Both good resorts for a short break.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Morzin will fit your bill perfectly as there's a good mix from 'quiet chat and a beer', through 'piped rock music', to 'we have a live DJ playing dance music' bars. Shared transfers from Geneva take around 90min/£55.

Try to say more central in Morzine as the town does streatch some way down the valley which could leave you with a bit of a walk to/from the lifts/bars. You say 'zero interest in buses to lifts' but don't rule them out. Access to the Morzine/Les Gets area is a simple gondola up from the centre of town but while the Avoriaz area can be accessed from a similar centre of town gondola it's a rather dull, flat traverse/3 chairs across from there. The free buses (take skis/boards on with you - no locker on the back) to the Ardent/Prodains gondolas get you right to a heart of things.

What sort of accomodation are you looking for? Hotel/space in a chalet/private chalet? As you're not looking for a standard Sat-Sat the usual recommendation on here seems to be the Chalets Direct solution room. You post what you need and chalet owners come back with their offers - http://www.chaletsdirect.com/forum/category-view.asp.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Looking Sunday to Thursday. Usually go hotel as there may only be three of us this time. Getting a bit old to be sharing rooms and wouldn't want to inflict my had a drink Tourette's mate on anyone else Shocked
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@CANV CANVINGTON, you have a PM Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@CANV CANVINGTON,

1. Why not Cham?

2. Samoens, La Clusaz, St Gervais, etc., as long as you avoid the vacances. Too much choice to mention.

3. what sort of skiing?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Morzine is brilliant - I am biased because I live here. BUt I moved here because it is brilliant.

PM me if you want any details on how close hotels are to the slopes. L`aubergarde is on the slopes and defo worth a look, as is Le Cottage. Le Tremplin is louder during Apres but stops quite early compared to Austria and larger resorts like Val D etc.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@under a new name, done Cham about 6 times. I know that's scratching the surface of the place but got to be somewhere new

Pretty competent boarder and skiers. But erring towards the mellow stuff these days
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Commercial/ busy = popular.

We have more going on in the summer - which is ace as it means the smaller chalet companies get two seasons so they stick around and build good businesses.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@CANV CANVINGTON, fairy nuff
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Oh and I'd second Morzine if you've not been to the PdS. L'Aubergade a good suggestion, Brit run, so some proper beers, ski in but not ski out, unless my topography of the avenue de Joux Plane is rubbish.
latest report
@under a new name, depends how good your side stepping from the kids drag lift is wink
snow conditions
@Nadenoodlee, I never have a euro on me for that first lift.
latest report
I dare say I've been unlucky but I've seldom seen any snow in Morzine and certianly never been able to ski down to the town. I'm just not prepared to risk a week's skiing in somewhere so un-snowsure. Of course, you can always get the lift up to the top and ski there, and then take the lift back down again - but that's not my cup of tea.
ski holidays
Yep we have no snow ever.
latest report
@foxtrotzulu, you've been unlucky.

I had one of my best powder days ever on Nyon last March.
ski holidays
Also, the path home down Pleney fron Nyon lasts quite a long time late into the season as does the snow cannined piste "B"
ski holidays
Wimp @under a new name, take Le Stade and have done with it
ski holidays
Nadenoodlee wrote:
Yep we have no snow ever.

We sometimes get snow in Berkshire, but that doesn't mean I'd recommend it for a skiing holiday. Very Happy
ski holidays
@Nadenoodlee, the stade was a bit bare much of last winter...
snow conditions
You must be very unlucky @foxtrotzulu, 1. For still living in Berks, but 2. For not having good snow in Morzine. Even before I lived here I had three great holidays here.

The beauty of Morzine is the PDS is your oyster. Not great in Morzine?- ski avoriaz today, cloudy in Lindarets?- head to Les Gets. Simples.

Ideally I'd like no one to come here ever again so I can have it to myself but hey ho- I'll be nice for a while
ski holidays
@Nadenoodlee, you got it in one, although you do need to know where to go to get the best stuff.

But I wager (as a punter skier) that I can find you as good skiing round the PdS on a given day as any professional anywhere else at the same altitude, (Chamonix valley excepted).
ski holidays
Dunno Alaska and Japan are pretty low...
ski holidays
Different strokes for different folks I guess @under a new name, I have skied Chamonix and didn't like the buses and lack of one joined up area BUT it's like that for a reason and some people like that.

I'll take PDS any day - hmmm must get my season pass on order soon
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Nadenoodlee, I think you completely misinterpreted my post.

I was advocating for the PdS...

On Chamonix, it's a different experience. Anyhoo, you need to drive or get a bus fron St Jean, don't you (excepting Gd T.) Twisted Evil
snow conditions
Yes and I was agreeing with you @under a new name, I don't live in St Jean but there is a bus up to GT and into town. I live on Montriond- but I drive to ski, I can't be arsed with other people. If I was on hols I'd probably stay closer to the slopes but all year round- hell no.
snow report
@Nadenoodlee, sorry, I completely misinterpreted your post Embarassed

Personally, I'd have bought around Morzine except when we did Cham had a much healthier summer season, so a definitely better return, and purchase prices were (are) comparable. Also, Cham to home is rarely more than an hour whereas PdS access roads can get a little congested.
snow conditions
@Canv, Morzine is a fantastic resort and in Winter season is as good as many resorts (Incl Chamonix, Alpes du Huez, Val Thorens, Val d'isere etc etc). However Morzine has plenty of places to eat or drink, or have a shimmy if you fancy it. Apart from the resort centre, Portes du soleil is one of the biggest regions in the world too ski. Great access to Les Gets, Avoriaz Champoussin and if you fancy a challenge then go from Super Morzine, head to Let Crosets and Ski down to champery for The Swiss Wall. As before mentioned by previous snowheads, Morzinelets.com is well worth looking at. Have stayed countless times at The Ridge Hotel and is a great Base. About 10mins walk to Super Morzine and resort but has daily transfers to slopes. For a drink I would defo recommend The Village bar at bottom of Pleney Station, or head for Buddhist Bar and L'Etale for serious food and a club next door.

Plenty of choices and a tip and a half is "Go to the Patisserie La Bonbonniere opposite Spar....

Wherever you choose have a great time but Morzine is a great resort.

Wink
snow report
@PremsUltim8, noted. Flights being booked soon.
latest report
Quote:
Plenty of choices and a tip and a half is "Go to the Patisserie La Bonbonniere opposite Spar....

I can't help but go in there every day, as well as a sausage sandwich in Dottie's.
latest report
@doddsie, such behaviour is at least contributable to "Chalet-Girls's-Bum-Growth" syndrome ... Twisted Evil
ski holidays
@doddsie, Dottie`s is no more. Closed up on saturday - I think it has been sold.
ski holidays
Damn, that was my plan for lunch tomorrow.
latest report
halfhand wrote:
@CANV CANVINGTON, I quite like Morzine and you don't have to get involved in the party malarky. A I've posted before I've used www.morzinelets.com for our lads trips. Costs are reasonable. The Ridge Hotel is about 10mins walk to SuperMorzine goldola.

Did the same for a long weekend works trip and it was a good enough base though a little out of town. The bar there was ok but plenty in town where happy hour was cheap. Tended to do the happy hour(s) then head for food and back to the hotel as we were only on breakfast there.

The Super Morzine is at least 10mins but that gets you on to a lot of flat ish runs & lifts to get over to the good skiing. Even flatter on way back unless you do a drag lift. But other options we tended to use was the free bus which stopped outside the hotel. There is a "train" across to the other side of town but could be very busy.

I enjoyed Morzine and have been back since it was that good.
ski holidays
Done a bit of low level piste map staring. So morzine les gets all fairly straight forward. What the best way to get to the rest of pds.
Bus to avoriaz?
snow conditions
@CANV CANVINGTON, either the Super Morzine bubble up, discussed just above your last post, or get the navette to Ardent, gondola up to Les Lindarets and Lindarets Express chairlift up and you are at Avoriaz.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 4-09-15 6:47; edited 1 time in total
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy